Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Stephane Grappelli

I love AB and I agree with her that managers need more time.  If that is the case though, why was Cathro binned after a fraction of the time that Craig has been afforded?  Not that I think it was wrong to bin Cathro but going by the time argument, he could have turned things round given more time.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

Just now, JamboGraham said:

If you think it would be professional to say anything different 7 days before our biggest and most important game in years then you are very, very naive.

Nobody is expecting her to say he’s doing pish...the footballs terrible and he’s already replaced for next season.

However, she could have quite easily been diplomatic in her response without being critical...but she essentially confirmed Craig’s doing a good job, and that teams shouldn’t sack managers so quickly.

Now, if a Craig is replaced for next season (and that is already the plan), she’s just made herself look fairly foolish on tv...something I can’t believe she would do.

Hence, I think Craig will still be Manager next season...irrespective of what some of the ITK desperado posters on here would have people believe (shock, horror!).

Adam_the_legend
4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Yes I agree there but is she saying that as she knows now isn't the time to criticise him?

Maybe

She was asked something similar last season and said along the lines of, I wouldn’t have to get rid of Craig he’d come into my office and tell me it’s not working. 

I feel it in in my gut, AB is completely loyal to CL and as long as she’s in charge he won’t be going anywhere (unless he resigns himself)

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

If you think it would be professional to say anything different 7 days before our biggest and most important game in years then you are very, very naive.

Absolutely. ?

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Deviskan said:

Nobody is expecting her to say he’s doing pish...the footballs terrible and he’s already replaced for next season.

However, she could have quite easily been diplomatic in her response without being critical...but she essentially confirmed Craig’s doing a good job, and that teams shouldn’t sack managers so quickly.

Now, if a Craig is replaced for next season (and that is already the plan), she’s just made herself look fairly foolish on tv...something I can’t believe she would do.

Hence, I think Craig will still be Manager next season...irrespective of what some of the ITK desperado posters on here would have people believe (shock, horror!).

You've never heard of the dreaded vote of confidence? As in politics,  things can move quickly in football. 

13 minutes ago, Cade said:

"Is Craig Levein bulletproof?"

"I think one of the worst things about Scottish football is that managers are not given enough time to get things right"

"But is Craig Levein bulletproof?"

"No"

13 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Q: is CL bulletproof?

A: er, ah, well...translation yes, he is absolutely untouchable ??‍♂️

Were you two watching different programmes?

tokyowalnut

? queue 100 pages now pulling apart that one statement. What else is she going to say? She's also correct, managers do get sacked too early and easily. 

I agree with her. Managers don’t get enough time in the modern era.

Adam_the_legend
Just now, Jamhammer said:

Big difference between what someone says and how they say it. She was cringing when she had to say he wasn’t bulletproof, because he is, that’s why she dropped in the bit about giving more time to managers (except if they’re name cathro)

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

You've never heard of the dreaded vote of confidence? As in politics,  things can move quickly in football. 

Not in the context of that interview I’ve not...I wouldn’t categorise that interview question/response as a ‘vote of confidence’.

In my opinion, she genuinely seemed happy with Craig’s performance...and didn’t need to make the point regarding other teams firing managers quickly, and by doing so it spoke volumes regarding her opinion.

1 minute ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Big difference between what someone says and how they say it. She was cringing when she had to say he wasn’t bulletproof, because he is, that’s why she dropped in the bit about giving more time to managers (except if they’re name cathro)

So she said no but didn’t mean no?

Im genuinely asking as ain’t seen it

Just now, Jamhammer said:

So she said no but didn’t mean no?

Im genuinely asking as ain’t seen it

Not how I saw it...she basically just rolled her eyes when the question was asked.

Stephen Muddie
16 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Yes I agree there but is she saying that as she knows now isn't the time to criticise him?

Maybe

Agree. How classless would it be to say negative things about your manager on UK TV? I was a bit miffed to hear her saying "he's doing a good job" at the second I watched it, but having had a few minutes to calm down, I see that she was probably being diplomatic. She's right as well - Managers don't often get enough time to build a side. However, the amount of shite he's signed has been criminal.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

6 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

She was evasive but when pressed said that no, he's not bulletproof.

Seethemeisters triggered all over the shop

I agree managers are sacked too quickly nowadays but the football and results since October should be addressed. Neither are good enough. If he is staying then that should be made very clear to Craig Levein

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Aye, she's going to come on and say he's rubbish.......

I know.  It beggars belief sometimes. 

Aye my manager is pure shite and he is getting sacked win or lose next week. 

A Shoreditch Heart

short and sweet piece, but great to see us get coverage on national tv - I quite enjoyed that.

Mr Elwood P
9 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Maybe she's been confused by us being in a Scottish Cup final next weekend.

Money will talk in the end. Decisions will be made based on the cup final and season ticket sales when they eventually get the finance option sorted out. 

There’s no way she could say anything different 7 days before a cup final.

not sure what folk expected her to say. She can’t shove him under a bus before the biggest game in years. 

1 minute ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Watch it and see what you think. 

Will catch it on the iplayer 

Big Slim Stylee
18 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Well that was hugely disappointing...I’d say from what was said, it’s highly unlikely we’ll have a new manager next season.

I’m astounded that anyone ever considered it a possibility. He doesn’t want to step back now. He was always going to have at least next season. No amount of foaming was ever going to change that.

JamboGraham
10 minutes ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

I love AB and I agree with her that managers need more time.  If that is the case though, why was Cathro binned after a fraction of the time that Craig has been afforded?  Not that I think it was wrong to bin Cathro but going by the time argument, he could have turned things round given more time.

For me it’s because Cathro crossed a clear red line. Failing to get Hearts out of a League Cup group is entirely unacceptable. If he was to be sacked for general performance he would have gone in the summer.!

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Mr Sifter said:

Judge yourself. Fast forward to 13:26 (as in pm, not 13 minutes 26 seconds) to see what ye think. I think it’s clear Levein is here next year ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcone

Anyone with half a brain already knew that. No indication whatsoever that Levein was going to be replaced. He will get next season at least.

JamboGraham
4 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

Not how I saw it...she basically just rolled her eyes when the question was asked.

Most likely because they were doing a general filler piece in the build up to a cup final. Fair play for Eilidh to ask it but given the overall style of piece I can understand why she might not have been anticipating the question.

2 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

I’m astounded that anyone ever considered it a possibility. He doesn’t want to step back now. He was always going to have at least next season. No amount of foaming was ever going to change that.

:spoton:

Personally, I think we will have a brilliant season next term.

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Anyone with half a brain already knew that. No indication whatsoever that Levein was going to be replaced. He will get next season at least.

Anyone with half a brain wouldn’t make the statement you just have...unless you have the ability to see into the future?

For example, what happens if we lose a run of games early next season/are in the relegation places, would he still get ‘at least’ another season?

been here before

Well this thread makes a refreshing change from the usual pish on here.

Stephane Grappelli
4 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

For me it’s because Cathro crossed a clear red line. Failing to get Hearts out of a League Cup group is entirely unacceptable. If he was to be sacked for general performance he would have gone in the summer.!

Fair point.  Don't get me wrong, I couldn't stand Ian Cathro and have much more time for Big Craig, but I'm sure Mr Cathro believes he could have turned things around.  Not that I agree with him.

Big Slim Stylee
Just now, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

:spoton:

Personally, I think we will have a brilliant season next term.

If the start of this season is anything to go by, so do I. He thinks we’re on the verge of being a very good side. Why the feck would anyone want to leave that?

heartmussel
28 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

She is hardly going to say anything different a week before the final

Correct ?

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Deviskan said:

Anyone with half a brain wouldn’t make the statement you just have...unless you have the ability to see into the future?

For example, what happens if we lose a run of games early next season/are in the relegation places, would he still get ‘at least’ another season?

Yes, I can see that the current squad will not be in a relegation battle next season. Hearts managers don’t get sacked for a top 6 finish and a Scottish Cup Final. Common sense.

Cathro never got very long Mrs Budge...... :naughty:

I jest.

I think there’s likely to be changes within the coaching structure. CL will remain next season and I think he deserves that, tbh.

Just now, Big Slim Stylee said:

If the start of this season is anything to go by, so do I. He thinks we’re on the verge of being a very good side. Why the feck would anyone want to leave that?

Indeed. I could be wrong, my opinion is worth no more than anyone else’s, but I just suspect we get off to a flier again... the trick will be keeping it going beyond 11 games. Levein is not a stupid man, and contrary to what some people think, he is a good manager. I think he will have learned from this season and last, and by being given more time, he can hopefully implement the things that are necessary to keep that good start going to the end of next season.

Opinions, huh? ??‍♂️

JamboGraham
1 minute ago, Stephane Grappelli said:

Fair point.  Don't get me wrong, I couldn't stand Ian Cathro and have much more time for Big Craig, but I'm sure Mr Cathro believes he could have turned things around.  Not that I agree with him.

I am always amazed by the confidence (arrogance?) displayed by so many people in football. Every manager seems to think they  can turn things around, even Cathro I would suspect. I have said it before; if Stockton had scored that late chance against Dunfermline goodness knows how much longer we would have had Cathro for...

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Yes, I can see that the current squad will not be in a relegation battle next season. Hearts managers don’t get sacked for a top 6 finish and a Scottish Cup Final. Common sense.

Think you missed ‘in my opinion’

at the end of that.

Craig shouldn’t be sacked for finishing 6th two seasons in a row solely...he should be sacked for the severe lack of progress, for the multitude of terrible signings and for the god-awful style of play and tactics.

In my opinion!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Having just watched it absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Remember the dreaded vote of confidence? Nobody slates an employee before they move them. 

Instead of whingeing take the enormous amount of positive energy in that piece.

Bryan Jackson presser still rings in my ears.

Look how far forward she has taken us. Who's perfect? No one. But I will be eternally grateful for Ann Budge. Anyone with any sense of perspective surely does

4 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

I am always amazed by the confidence (arrogance?) displayed by so many people in football. Every manager seems to think they  can turn things around, even Cathro I would suspect. I have said it before; if Stockton had scored that late chance against Dunfermline goodness knows how much longer we would have had Cathro for...

I see a direct correlation between when McLeish  was clinging onto his job with Scotland and Craig with us...indeed, it was interesting that Craig stated McLeish should be given more time, when it was fairly obvious to the majority of fans he should never have got the job in the first place (and was tactically prehistoric).

1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Having just watched it absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Remember the dreaded vote of confidence? Nobody slates an employee before they move them. 

Instead of whingeing take the enormous amount of positive energy in that piece.

Bryan Jackson presser still rings in my ears.

Look how far forward she has taken us. Who's perfect? No one. But I will be eternally grateful for Ann Budge. Anyone with any sense of perspective surely does

I agree wholeheartedly, we should all be eternally grateful for what Ann has done.

However, it’s fairly clear she’s intrinsically linked her time with us to Craig being our Manager/in control of the football side of things...and that’s a mistake in my opinion (nobodies perfect, everyone makes them).

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

at the end of that.

Craig shouldn’t be sacked for finishing 6th two seasons in a row solely...he should be sacked for the severe lack of progress, for the multitude of terrible signings and for the god-awful style of play and tactics.

In my opinion!

No I didn’t. The current Hearts squad ravaged by injury have finished 6th. We won’t finish lower than that next season. 

Have you not perceived the significant improvement in the quality of the signings over the last 18 months?

18 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Saved me typing.  Our manager next season is Craig Levein and Hearts fans can support him and the club or not as is their right.

Big Slim Stylee
9 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

at the end of that.

In my opinion!

Edited by Big Slim Stylee
Wrong quote ?

Big Slim Stylee
13 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Indeed. I could be wrong, my opinion is worth no more than anyone else’s, but I just suspect we get off to a flier again... the trick will be keeping it going beyond 11 games. Levein is not a stupid man, and contrary to what some people think, he is a good manager. I think he will have learned from this season and last, and by being given more time, he can hopefully implement the things that are necessary to keep that good start going to the end of next season.

Opinions, huh? ??‍♂️

Opinion bolstered by that old gut-feeling is a winning combination dontchaknow. ? Hope you’re well mate.

2 minutes ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Opinion bolstered by that old gut-feeling is a winning combination dontchaknow. ? Hope you’re well mate.

Aye, I’m good mate, thanks. Need a wee break from the echo-chamber of negativity, that this place has become recently, now and again. ?

8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

No I didn’t. The current Hearts squad ravaged by injury have finished 6th. We won’t finish lower than that next season. 

Have you not perceived the significant improvement in the quality of the signings over the last 18 months?

Can you please detail the ‘significant improvement in the quality of signings’ for me?

Halkett ‘could’ be a great signing, the rest...extremely scattergun, as our signings have been for quite some time (some decent, quite a lot of average players, and some complete shockers).

We all want the team to be successful...and I’ve noted previously I wanted Craig to get the chance to win the cup final before moving on, but personally I strongly believe we need a fresh approach.

But who knows, maybe Craig will turn it all around and will start playing attractive, but successful attacking football...however I’m extremely sceptical.

Edited by Deviskan

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Deviskan said:

I agree wholeheartedly, we should all be eternally grateful for what Ann has done.

However, it’s fairly clear she’s intrinsically linked her time with us to Craig being our Manager/in control of the football side of things...and that’s a mistake in my opinion (nobodies perfect, everyone makes them).

I have said that since day 1. However she ain't announcing on a cup final promo he has been pish. 

Undoubtedly her judgement will be based on far more than we see on a weekend. 

She didn't hesitate to act with Cathro and I expect her to be in Craig's ear considering the target has not been achieved or close to it for two years. Bad luck or not.

To be surprised or shocked by that interview,  you must be living in another world 

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic