Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

3 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Steve Clarke is a good manager. 

That's the difference. 

He's had a very small budget to work with and has done wonders with it. 

What's the average gait at Killie? About 6000?

Good manager, eye for a player, good contacts. 

Pace throughout the team and knows that to win games, you need to attack.

Perhaps he's only a good manager when he's working with a small budget and rock bottom expectations from fans and his bosses? I'm interested to see how he'll do at a bigger club with higher expectations.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

BOBTHEBRUCE
1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

Take their 4 best players out for months at a time and they would be below us.

The amount of injuries we get has also to be questioned. I've never seen anything like it. 

Killie play on a plastic pitch and don't get these injuries

Even if they did, Who's to say that Clarke wouldn't just make do with what he's got and punch above their weight again. 

Pretty sure they've already lost some key players. 

8 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

CL built a team at the start of the season which only functioned around one player. Steven Naismith.

People can make excuses about injuries all they want but even it’s our other players back we continue to struggle without him.

If people can’t see that is the sign of a poor manager without a Plan B then I’ve no idea what they can actually see in him. 

The lack of Plan B is solely down to a transfer policy that has brought in a million and one Midfielders who perform similar roles yet we don’t sign a decent winger to offer us something different. It’s not as if the fans haven’t realised that was a position we needed to sign a player in for a while. Oh wait...............

Transfer policy is down to manager. End of matter. He’s failed to create a balanced squad to allow for injuries and for that reason only he should go, never mind the poor performances. 

From a perspective of going forward, all I want is a manager who can get the team playing a bit of football but more importantly has zero respect for the OF and doesn’t poop his pants when we go past Harthill Services. It’s why I’d look outside Scotland and get away from the fear that those who have deep rooted connections in the Scottish game have. They are no longer the OF of Larsson, di Canio, Gaza and Laudrup yet our manager still believes they are and gives them that sort of respect in their own back yard. If we’re going to get beat there, at least go down swinging and not meekly the way we seem to do when we go there. 

This has been overdone. Every team has standout players. Hibs were much worse after McGinn left until they brought in replacements around when Lennon left.

Levein built a spine of Zlamal, Berra, Souttar, Naismith and Uche. Arguable Haring and/or Djoum too. All of them except Zlamal have been out for long periods at crucial times. In other words it wasn't;t just Naismith being injured that screwed us, it was having to replace an entire spine.

For comparison, Aberdeen's spine this season would be Lewis, McKenna, Shinnie, Ferguson, Cosgrove plus arguable McGinn and/or Mackay-Steven. They only lost two of those players for extended periods and they lost none of the guys who really make them tick this season, eg Shinnie and Cosgrove.

You can do the same thing with the spine of Killie and Hibs, and even Rangers and Celtic, although the OF obviously have money for higher quality replacements.

If we're going to compare us to Killie and co, we really have to compare the circumstances all clubs faced.

4 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

The amount of injuries we get has also to be questioned. I've never seen anything like it. 

Killie play on a plastic pitch and don't get these injuries

Even if they did, Who's to say that Clarke wouldn't just make do with what he's got and punch above their weight again. 

Pretty sure they've already lost some key players. 

That's a different debate. I'm sure Budge will be asking those questions.

BOBTHEBRUCE
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

That's a different debate. I'm sure Budge will be asking those questions.

I effing hope so. 

I don't see many people questioning that on here. 

Inch Hearts
17 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

We weren’t good enough.

? good man. 

Inch Hearts
12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Clearly Clarke is clearly a managerial genius, which will be confirmed in his next job, or not.

Levein had a couple of very immediate things he needed to do last season amid all the upheaval around the new stand rebuild - make us harder to beat, especially at Tynecastle, and get us winning in derbies again. He did both while attempting to also strengthen the squad a bit. 

As for league positions, the league is unusually competitive right now. For a very long time you'd have Rangers and Celtic battling it out a the top, then one team out clear in 3rd and the rest much of a muchness. Sometimes you just have to accept that there are other teams in the league and they have been playing better than us, without facing some of the troubles we've faced it does have to be pointed out. A Steve Clarke-less Killie, an Aberdeen spending less, a new Hibs manager bedding in might make things different next season. but there's no doubt the league is more competitive in general than for a very long time. We don't have a divine right to finish above 5th or 6th. We have the 4th biggest budget so finishing around 4th is what we'll usually do and it will depend on what other teams do as much as what we do.

I would take the complaints over Levein much more seriously if folk - maybe the same folk - hadn't also done the same thing with Neilson who had us finishing 3rd. The obvious conclusion is there are a surprisingly large number of very hard to please Hearts fans who won't be happy no matter who the manager is.

You have literally added nothing in this post.  Zero.  Well done. 

Vlad Magic

We can play the repetition game forever. As boring as it is it will go on and on and on. 

There will I’ll be no “winner” as opinions can’t be put in a win or loss box.

There is no correct answer for either side to claim victory over.

Go find a bird or have a beer or do something less boring instead. WDY ?

BOBTHEBRUCE
5 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

We can play the repetition game forever. As boring as it is it will go on and on and on. 

There will I’ll be no “winner” as opinions can’t be put in a win or loss box.

There is no correct answer for either side to claim victory over.

Go find a bird or have a beer or do something less boring instead. WDY ?

I'm on POF with beer in hand mate. Multi tasking. 

Edited by BOBTHEBRUCE

29 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Clearly Clarke is clearly a managerial genius, which will be confirmed in his next job, or not.

Levein had a couple of very immediate things he needed to do last season amid all the upheaval around the new stand rebuild - make us harder to beat, especially at Tynecastle, and get us winning in derbies again. He did both while attempting to also strengthen the squad a bit. 

As for league positions, the league is unusually competitive right now. For a very long time you'd have Rangers and Celtic battling it out a the top, then one team out clear in 3rd and the rest much of a muchness. Sometimes you just have to accept that there are other teams in the league and they have been playing better than us, without facing some of the troubles we've faced it does have to be pointed out. A Steve Clarke-less Killie, an Aberdeen spending less, a new Hibs manager bedding in might make things different next season. but there's no doubt the league is more competitive in general than for a very long time. We don't have a divine right to finish above 5th or 6th. We have the 4th biggest budget so finishing around 4th is what we'll usually do and it will depend on what other teams do as much as what we do.

I would take the complaints over Levein much more seriously if folk - maybe the same folk - hadn't also done the same thing with Neilson who had us finishing 3rd. The obvious conclusion is there are a surprisingly large number of very hard to please Hearts fans who won't be happy no matter who the manager is.

Finishing in 6th place isn't the problem, mate. We finished bottom of the league a few years ago and the fans were behind the team and club because the players were trying their best every week. Our football over the last 6 months has been appalling. Boring, defensive, ineffective. Shipping 5 goals to Livi and defeats to the bottom clubs wasnt just unlucky. We were woeful.

BOBTHEBRUCE

All pro levein fans are pro robbie fans. 

It's true, it's damn true. 

I think the admins should give 10 warning points to all of them. 

14 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

You have literally added nothing in this post.  Zero.  Well done. 

Thanks. I thought I was answering your question as to why we finished 6th last season.

Forever Hearts
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Thanks. I thought I was answering your question as to why we finished 6th last season.

We finished 6th last season for the same reason we finished 6th this season - because we are crap. 

2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

We finished 6th last season for the same reason we finished 6th this season - because we are crap. 

Nail on head!!!

Edited by jambmoz

5 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Finishing in 6th place isn't the problem, mate. We finished bottom of the league a few years ago and the fans were behind the team and club because the players were trying their best every week. Our football over the last 6 months has been appalling. Boring, defensive, ineffective. Shipping 5 goals to Livi and defeats to the bottom clubs wasnt just unlucky. We were woeful.

I agree, I just disagree that sacking Levein now or after the cup final is the solution. I'm not even a massive fan of Levein the manager. He's too stubborn and his approach to OF away games has always bugged me, but he did a great job the last close season IMO to both recruit an entire new team and mould them into a winning team immediately. And for all the draw has been easy on paper it's not actually that easy to get to a cup final. We've faced some obvious challenges the last 2 seasons that have been outlined to death on here. Some just aren't willing to give the guy any benefit of the doubt at all. We now have a good long-term spine for the first time since admin thanks to Levein. If we can find a stellar manager - great - or even get Robbo or Neilson, but I think if Levein is up for it he will be very motivated to do better next season.

6 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

All pro levein fans are pro robbie fans. 

It's true, it's damn true. 

I think the admins should give 10 warning points to all of them. 

Yeah, Robbie was a disaster ?

BOBTHEBRUCE
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's true though eh. Levein fans are robbie fans. 

Different mind set to the rest of us. 

I'm not saying that Robbie was a disaster but it was plain to see that progress had stopped and the football got worse. 

He had a very good victory over rangers before he left, i think a lot of you remember him for that and not the dire games before that. 

Alex Kintner
1 minute ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

It's true though eh. Levein fans are robbie fans. 

Different mind set to the rest of us. 

I'm not saying that Robbie was a disaster but it was plain to see that progress had stopped and the football got worse. 

He had a very good victory over rangers before he left, i think a lot of you remember him for that and not the dire games before that. 

Suso wept

:cornette:

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Can you name any other Hearts managers who lost to pub teams in Europe?

He wasn't a disaster but his last season found him out. One left-footed player in the squad, who he ended up taking to MK Dons with him, and the shot shy pair of Sammon and Watt up front.

Edited by Geoff Kilpatrick

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Can you name any other Hearts managers who lost to pub teams in Europe?

He wasn't a disaster but his last season found him out. One left-footed player in the squad, who he ended up taking to MK Dons with him, and the shot shy pair of Sammon and Watt up front.

Watt was the best thing since sliced bread on here after a few games. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Quite the savant you are, remembering the reaction to Tony Watt’s signing despite the fact you’ve only been a member 9 months. 

Inch Hearts
4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Opinion on here matters very little in opinion with players our recruitment staff bring players in.  In that we are failing. 

BOBTHEBRUCE

1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Quite the savant you are, remembering the reaction to Tony Watt’s signing despite the fact you’ve only been a member 9 months. 

Usual deflection tactics from the Robbie brigade. 

merseyjambo
54 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

This has been overdone. Every team has standout players. Hibs were much worse after McGinn left until they brought in replacements around when Lennon left.

Levein built a spine of Zlamal, Berra, Souttar, Naismith and Uche. Arguable Haring and/or Djoum too. All of them except Zlamal have been out for long periods at crucial times. In other words it wasn't;t just Naismith being injured that screwed us, it was having to replace an entire spine.

For comparison, Aberdeen's spine this season would be Lewis, McKenna, Shinnie, Ferguson, Cosgrove plus arguable McGinn and/or Mackay-Steven. They only lost two of those players for extended periods and they lost none of the guys who really make them tick this season, eg Shinnie and Cosgrove.

You can do the same thing with the spine of Killie and Hibs, and even Rangers and Celtic, although the OF obviously have money for higher quality replacements.

If we're going to compare us to Killie and co, we really have to compare the circumstances all clubs faced.

Sorry but that’s bull

Our points tally without Naismith tells its own story. We are a one man team, the others aren’t and we’re not talking about them. We’re talking about the squad that’s been built that is imbalanced that has zero creativity without one player.

That falls at the door of one person only, the manager.

The end

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, BOBTHEBRUCE said:

Usual deflection tactics from the Robbie brigade. 

Grow up. 

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Here's a thing, I've viewed many a forum in the past without being a member. Crazy eh?

Unknown user

9 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Let me guess, you didn't post at the time but have been lurking for a long time. Right?

Unknown user

Here's a thing, I've viewed many a forum in the past without being a member. Crazy eh?

:laugh: bingo!

Vlad Magic

Are you categorically stating that your current username is your first and only?

Forever Hearts
Just now, Smithee said:

:laugh: bingo!

You posted them within seconds of each other so the "joke" didn't really work. Nice try though. 

Forever Hearts
Just now, Vlad Magic said:

Are you categorically stating that your current username is your first and only?

I was a member in about 2006 then gave it up. That ok with you? Are you the JKB police?

What was the name of the one you found a picture of Levein photoshopped with Union Jack mug? And were you a member?

Forever Hearts
Just now, WageThief said:

What was the name of the one you found a picture of Levein photoshopped with Union Jack mug? And were you a member?

It wasn't photoshopped and it's the same username as I have just now.

Next. 

Unknown user
Just now, Forever Hearts said:

You posted them within seconds of each other so the "joke" didn't really work. Nice try though. 

Yes, posted one, saw you'd posted just as predicted, so I posted the second.

Of course, without your buy in it means nothing :(

Vlad Magic
4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I was a member in about 2006 then gave it up. That ok with you? Are you the JKB police?

Not the police but seeing as you lied about 4 minutes ago, what is to say you are not lying again? 

Forever Hearts
Just now, Smithee said:

Yes, posted one, saw you'd posted just as predicted, so I posted the second.

Of course, without your buy in it means nothing :(

Nah, you didn't.  

Forever Hearts
Just now, Vlad Magic said:

Not the police but seeing as you lied about 4 minutes ago, what is to say you are not lying again? 

Where did I lie? And if I did (I didn't) what exactly has it got to do with you? 

Bridge of Djoum
17 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

:rofl:yep. That’ll be it. Viewed the forum for ages and didn’t comment, yet you’ve 900 posts having a pop at one man, your rage is palpable in every one. 

Mask is slipping, son. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

:rofl:yep. That’ll be it. Viewed the forum for ages and didn’t comment, yet you’ve 900 posts having a pop at one man, your rage is palpable in every one. 

Mask is slipping, son. 

"son". Nae bother, grandad. ?

Bridge of Djoum
15 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

JKB police...

BINGO!

Vlad Magic
13 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

22 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Pretty compelling if I’m honest.

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Forever Hearts said:

"son". Nae bother, grandad. ?

Ok then. Man up and tell us who you were previously or forever be referred to as a wee boy. 

Youre full of it, wee man. 

Forever Hearts
Just now, Bridge of Djoum said:

JKB police...

BINGO!

That ignore function is still there. Failing that you could go and creep about somebody else's profile and stalk them. 

rick witter
33 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Eh no he really wasn’t. 

Forever Hearts
Just now, Bridge of Djoum said:

Ok then. Man up and tell us who you were previously or forever be referred to as a wee boy. 

Youre full of it, wee man. 

Answer to you? An anonymous stalker on a forum? ?

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic