Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Rocky jamboa
1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We’d need to replace the DoF before we replace the manager because we 100% need a DoF. Hearts football operation is big time stuff.

This isn’t the 90’s anymore where we’ve got 16 first team players, a bunch of YTS kids, a coach and a guy with a magic sponge.

Is Ann Budge with her vast footballing knowledge going to pick the next manager and oversee the scouting at youth & senior level, contracts, transfers, agents, youth development etc etc... ??

I’d bloody hope not.

It would be a ****ing disaster.

If Levein was to retire, we’d need some sort of handover period, which could take a season for a new structure to be put in place. 

Do you ever think about these things? 

Or or do you just think the first teams crap so let’s take a chainsaw to everything? 

If craig levein is the only football minded person on the board of a football club then that is extremely worrying. 

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

davemclaren
26 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Levein is the man she depends on for all footballing decisions. The only time she acted without his agreement was sacking Cathro.

Where did you hear that? And, if true, does it not show that Ann doesn’t completely rely on Craig?

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We’d need to replace the DoF before we replace the manager because we 100% need a DoF. Hearts football operation is big time stuff.

This isn’t the 90’s anymore where we’ve got 16 first team players, a bunch of YTS kids, a coach and a guy with a magic sponge.

Is Ann Budge with her vast footballing knowledge going to pick the next manager and oversee the scouting at youth & senior level, contracts, transfers, agents, youth development etc etc... ??

I’d bloody hope not.

If Levein was to retire, we’d need some sort of handover period, which could take a season for a new structure to be put in place. 

Or or do you just think the first teams crap so let’s take a chainsaw to everything? 

DoFs change regularly in football with no handover period. She would need to find an advisor to help her pick an new DoF and a manager, a problem quite a few people saw coming when Levein was given all this power in the first place. It can be done, she just needs to chose wisely. A foreign guy with a manager in mind that is used to working with a DoF.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

If craig levein is the only football minded person on the board of a football club then that is extremely worrying. 

He is and it is.

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Where did you hear that? And, if true, does it not show that Ann doesn’t completely rely on Craig?

I think he meant Ann relies on Craig for every football decision...except when she doesn't. 

Every decision

EVERY one.

Except when she doesn't

Apart from that...

Every single one.

Cruyff Turn
2 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Why? Of course he is, he’s the DoF. If we The other people on the board run the business, marketing etc... None of them have a football background. 

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

He is and it is.

Could you please list the board members and their exact roles and professional histories please.

Thanks.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

He is though, none of the other directors have any football knowledge. She hired Scott Gardiner as he had experience of football administration, that wasn’t such a great success and he left, he hasn’t been replaced. It was blatantly clear from the reaction of the crowd after the Dunfermline game that the fans had turned on Cathro and action had to be taken, against Leveins wishes.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

He is though, none of the other directors have any football knowledge. She hired Scott Gardiner as he had experience of football administration, that wasn’t such a great success and he left, he hasn’t been replaced. It was blatantly clear from the reaction of the crowd after the Dunfermline game that the fans had turned on Cathro and action had to be taken, against Leveins wishes.

I’d be interested to know the football knowledge within the boards of other Scottish top league clubs. ??‍♂️

Either Ann totally relies on Craig for football side decisions, or she doesn’t. 

Bridge of Djoum

I'm just having a look at top clubs board members and their roles/histories.

Man City.. Zero ''football minded'' people

Arsenal...zero

Man United...Zero

PFK, why is it worrying when so many clubs have one or less ''football minded'' people on the board? It seems by my very quick research that most board members have histories in finance, accounting, law or petroleum dollars. Very VERY few in football.

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’d be interested to know the football knowledge within the boards of other Scottish top league clubs. ??‍♂️

Either Ann totally relies on Craig for football side decisions, or she doesn’t. 

Me too but I don’t have that info, as far as I’m aware the Cathro decision is the only time she’s stepped in and over ruled him. Both uglies have DoFs,Hibs have George Craig.Aberdeen wow ?, Yes that Craig Brown ?.

But I’m probably making that up sorry ?.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-director-of-football-george-craig-gives-insight-into-role-1-4559591

9EEAFEED-E6EA-4C40-9A24-AA602D1F67AD.png

Edited by Pasquale for King

39 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He does indeed, maybe why he’s so popular in the game.

Now that definitely made me laugh.............but then I cried again.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I'm just having a look at top clubs board members and their roles/histories.

Man City.. Zero ''football minded'' people

Arsenal...zero

Man United...Zero

PFK, why is it worrying when so many clubs have one or less ''football minded'' people on the board? It seems by my very quick research that most board members have histories in finance, accounting, law or petroleum dollars. Very VERY few in football.

It’s worrying because we have nobody else at the club who has experience of the game. Also he is the manager and usually a DoF would be the one firing him and choosing his successor.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Now that definitely made me laugh.............but then I cried again.

Sorry, I gave it my best ?

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s worrying because we have nobody else at the club who has experience of the game. Also he is the manager and usually a DoF would be the one firing him and choosing his successor.

But as shown by the smallest amount of research and effort, success or lack thereof is not determined by having several ''football minded'' people on the board, or not. 

Indeed, I 'd argue that the more football minded souls on the board would leave less seats for those who keep the club running in terms of finance, administration and the likes,  as shown by the make up of every other board I cared to look at. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

But as shown by the smallest amount of research and effort, success or lack thereof is not determined by having several ''football minded'' people on the board, or not. 

Indeed, I 'd argue that the more football minded souls on the board would leave less seats for those who keep the club running in terms of finance, administration and the likes,  as shown by the make up of every other board I cared to look at. 

Yes but they don’t have a DoF combining his job with that of a manager, as most agree both are huge jobs and maybe one person can’t do it all. 

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Yes but they don’t have a DoF combining his job with that of a manager, as most agree both are huge jobs and maybe one person can’t do it all.

Yes, that is a point. Some managers can run an entire club, some less so. The argument that more football people are required on a board is weak and it doesn't seem to worry anyone else at any other club at any level. 

Personally I'd rather the board were united, backed the manager, had strong business acumen in terms of finance. We have that board. I'm not sure what adding another football man would achieve. 

CL will not be combining those roles much longer, at least not IMO. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Yes, that is a point. Some managers can run an entire club, some less so. The argument that more football people are required on a board is weak and it doesn't seem to worry anyone else at any other club at any level. 

Personally I'd rather the board were united, backed the manager, had strong business acumen in terms of finance. We have that board. I'm not sure what adding another football man would achieve. 

CL will not be combining those roles much longer, at least not IMO. 

The board make up looks good, but as I said the DoF should be making the football decisions including the hiring and firing of the manager/head coach. So if Ann decides he’s to go who will choose the next guy? They failed to pick any decent candidates last time.

Changes definitely need to be made, I think we agree on that as an increasing amount of people do.

Bridge of Djoum
11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The board make up looks good, but as I said the DoF should be making the football decisions including the hiring and firing of the manager/head coach. So if Ann decides he’s to go who will choose the next guy? They failed to pick any decent candidates last time.

Changes definitely need to be made, I think we agree on that as an increasing amount of people do.

Oh I agree. We need fresh ideas. 

Our position is not ideal in terms of CL combining jobs and his health, our current brand of football. I hope and think the board and CL will review at season end and have us going in the right direction football-wise. Bickering and arguing at this point is futile, really. He's staying until the end of the season, then we will see. Personally, and a good part of this is concerning his health, I hope he walks away completely, we employ an experienced manager and our game improves. I hope the board back him and we are better to watch, (which shouldn't be too difficult):smoking:

This may pain you, but CL will have a big say in the next manager. Whether that is correct or not remains to be seen. Lets not forget though...picking your replacement can go either way...

Image result for alex ferguson  Image result for david moyes

Image result for arsene wenger  Image result for unai emery

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Oh I agree. We need fresh ideas. 

Our position is not ideal in terms of CL combining jobs and his health, our current brand of football. I hope and think the board and CL will review at season end and have us going in the right direction football-wise. Bickering and arguing at this point is futile, really. He's staying until the end of the season, then we will see. Personally, and a good part of this is concerning his health, I hope he walks away completely, we employ an experienced manager and our game improves. I hope the board back him and we are better to watch, (which shouldn't be too difficult):smoking:

This may pain you, but CL will have a big say in the next manager. Whether that is correct or not remains to be seen. Lets not forget though...picking your replacement can go either way...

Image result for alex ferguson  Image result for david moyes

Image result for arsene wenger  Image result for unai emery

I think combining the two jobs has definitely impacted on his health, he’s a workaholic if that’s there no doubt and we were extremely busy in the transfer market. 

I’m not sure if he will be involved, he wasn’t last time, if you know what I mean, or Daly would’ve got the job.

It looks like Fergie has redeemed himself if it was necessary by advising the board to get Solskjaer and Phelan to replace Mourinho.

Ironically enough Arsenal are looking for a DoF as we speak.

I think most ex managers can be DoFs as Dougie Freedman showed after turning us down and going to Palace, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find one hopefully.

Personally speaking I’ve apologised a few times for using  JKB to get stuff off my chest, sorry ?.

Bridge of Djoum
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think combining the two jobs has definitely impacted on his health, he’s a workaholic if that’s there no doubt and we were extremely busy in the transfer market. 

I’m not sure if he will be involved, he wasn’t last time, if you know what I mean, or Daly would’ve got the job.

It looks like Fergie has redeemed himself if it was necessary by advising the board to get Solskjaer and Phelan to replace Mourinho.

Ironically enough Arsenal are looking for a DoF as we speak.

I think most ex managers can be DoFs as Dougie Freedman showed after turning us down and going to Palace, it shouldn’t be too difficult to find one hopefully.

Do you think that not having another football mind on the board will hamper our ability to appoint the correct man? Should Levein be involved in choosing his successor, providing he does leave? As the only football minded director, would it be folly NOT to have his input?

Interestingly, the Dougie Freedman point, I think it's a thing to have ex-players as DoF's or ''sporting directors. Vieira at MC, Nedved at Juve, many ex Ajax players have roles there. Those immediately spring to mind. 

Would you like to see ex Hearts men fill either of those 2 roles, (providing we keep the model  and CL goes)? Personally if we are to keep the DoF model, I'd like to see a Hearts man there to assist the new manager. Some continuity and a real link to the fans.

Step forward...Stevie Frail.

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Do you think that not having another football mind on the board will hamper our ability to appoint the correct man? Should Levein be involved in choosing his successor, providing he does leave? As the only football minded director, would it be folly NOT to have his input?

Interestingly, the Dougie Freedman point, I think it's a thing to have ex-players as DoF's or ''sporting directors. Vieira at MC, Nedved at Juve, many ex Ajax players have roles there. Those immediately spring to mind. 

Would you like to see ex Hearts men fill either of those 2 roles, (providing we keep the model  and CL goes)? Personally if we are to keep the DoF model, I'd like to see a Hearts man there to assist the new manager. Some continuity and a real link to the fans.

I think it might hamper our attempts to get the right replacement, he would surely want his boot room boy Daly to get the job. If he did have a say the last time the list of candidates weren’t inspiring, not even responding to Sergio was disrespectful.

If it’s an ex Hearts man as DoF it has to be someone not in the thrall of the Uglit sisters, same goes for manager/head coach.

I doubt if Frail will be back anytime soon, he was supposedly  in line to replace Jack Ross but was deemed unsuitable for the same reason we were allegedly sacking Ross and why Levein possibly left in 2004 (hope I don’t get my knuckles rapped for that). All here-say I must add, winks and nudges, fantasy if you will, im backtracking too, I’m well known for it.

King Joffrey

Surely the fans defending Levein now admit it is through affection and not what is happening to our club. I'm 46. Levein was a big part of my memories growing up a young Hearts fan. His repeated injuries were really sad to witness. I've met the man. He's a good guy, a strong character, and a Hearts man.

But.

Let's start with the affection. He had a testimonial in 95 vs Coventry. He walked out with his daughter as the match mascot. To see 3,500 had turned up. And so I read the gushing online love and affection, but I always remember that. I don't say it to criticise our fans, but do find it hard to read a lot of the comments on here without thinking about that.

The reality is we don't pay for someone who we like to manage our club. It is no more than an added bonus. We pay and support to see someone good at their job manage our club. Our progress under Levein since coming up 4 years ago has been poor in terms of cup performances, league positions and our limited venture in Europe. I'll add to that an overhyped youth system, poor recruitment and lack of revenue from player sales. Plus the Cathro fiasco. The final criticism being playing style and despite recent stats about long balls, I'll go with personal experience. We're boring, slow, uncreative and narrow. Ask Partick Thistle, Auchinleck Talbot, St Mirren, Hamilton and Dundee.

I continue to like the man and wish him well. Especially after his health scare. But only the over stated affection and possibly the cost to dismiss and maybe cowardice / stubbornness by Budge is keeping this going. I watched Mansfield v Lincoln tonight and saw better football and more talent than I'm seeing at Tynecastle.

For what it's worth, performances and basic effort levels are so bad that I also think he's lost the dressing room. And if that's the case 2 games from a Scottish Cup, I'd take action now.

Sadly, time to go, from both roles. His leaving the DoF role would I'm sure see better and more applications for the manager's job. Billy Davies was right about that, much as it pains me to say anything positive about him and end on that note.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, King Joffrey said:

Surely the fans defending Levein now admit it is through affection and not what is happening to our club. I'm 46. Levein was a big part of my memories growing up a young Hearts fan. His repeated injuries were really sad to witness. I've met the man. He's a good guy, a strong character, and a Hearts man.

But.

Let's start with the affection. He had a testimonial in 95 vs Coventry. He walked out with his daughter as the match mascot. To see 3,500 had turned up. And so I read the gushing online love and affection, but I always remember that. I don't say it to criticise our fans, but do find it hard to read a lot of the comments on here without thinking about that.

The reality is we don't pay for someone who we like to manage our club. It is no more than an added bonus. We pay and support to see someone good at their job manage our club. Our progress under Levein since coming up 4 years ago has been poor in terms of cup performances, league positions and our limited venture in Europe. I'll add to that an overhyped youth system, poor recruitment and lack of revenue from player sales. Plus the Cathro fiasco. The final criticism being playing style and despite recent stats about long balls, I'll go with personal experience. We're boring, slow, uncreative and narrow. Ask Partick Thistle, Auchinleck Talbot, St Mirren, Hamilton and Dundee.

I continue to like the man and wish him well. Especially after his health scare. But only the over stated affection and possibly the cost to dismiss and maybe cowardice / stubbornness by Budge is keeping this going. I watched Mansfield v Lincoln tonight and saw better football and more talent than I'm seeing at Tynecastle.

For what it's worth, performances and basic effort levels are so bad that I also think he's lost the dressing room. And if that's the case 2 games from a Scottish Cup, I'd take action now.

Sadly, time to go, from both roles. His leaving the DoF role would I'm sure see better and more applications for the manager's job. Billy Davies was right about that, much as it pains me to say anything positive about him and end on that note.

Great post. He had two benefit games, I was at both but apparently I hate him because I have the temerity to question his decisions. 

6 hours ago, King Joffrey said:

But.

Super post summed up perfectly 

Also notice he is at it again this morning on why he subbed vanachek at half time 

Thus is the part that worries me most the constant tinkering  looking for something 

We brought on uche because of his aggression.... says it all 

Yes, Levein wondered how Vanecek would get on with the ‘system’ being played.

Then Uche on in the second half making no difference. Because **** all service!

Sick of Levein’s big striker to hold the ball up tactics. So boring and other teams have sussed us out.

I wonder is Levein will voluntarily stand down at the end of the season.  He can't be deaf to all that's going on, and on top of that he's already had one health scare.   

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

This thread...

Image result for big car crash gif

For the love of god end it now. 

Levein could that if he does the right thing and quit.:)

I reckon that Levein is one of the managers at the bottom of the U bend.  in 2 seasons as manager only Naismith has lifted the performances.  In 5 seasons in charge he has not been a success.

In essence it is like a U-curve, with the best and worst coaches having a bigger impact on results – and those in the middle tier relying on the quality of their players, their club’s recruitment strategy and luck to succeed or fail.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2019/mar/18/ole-gunnar-sokskjaer-manchester-united-former-players-managing-former-clubs

Shovelly Joe

I can’t understand the logic behind wanting Levein to go before the end of the season.  We have a Scottish Cup Semi Final and European Qualification through the league to play for.  Bringing a new manager in at this stage of the season is a massive risk.  Whilst I admit the football has been rotten recently he deserves until the end of the season to turn it round.  Now people will point to Heckingbottom at Hibs and the impact he has made, however he has had a good run of games and I feel still un-tested.  Meek performance against Celtic and a lucky draw with Rangers having been second best throughout.  They will get tucked away at Tynecastle as they always do.

Get behind the team and Levein and we have the chance of winning the cup again.  Why risk it?

1 hour ago, NB GIN said:

Thus is the part that worries me most the constant tinkering  looking for something 

......... that clearly isn't there.

This is what I think pisses most people off. His rigidly sticking to a way of playing that we clearly don't have the players to play. Morrison comes in for a couple of games, is poor then gets dropped, then he tries Clare out of position, that doesn't work so he takes Morrison back, that doesn't work so he tries Clare again ! Mulraney exactly the same on the other side with Djoum. 

John Gentleman
5 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

......... that clearly isn't there.

This is what I think pisses most people off. His rigidly sticking to a way of playing that we clearly don't have the players to play. Morrison comes in for a couple of games, is poor then gets dropped, then he tries Clare out of position, that doesn't work so he takes Morrison back, that doesn't work so he tries Clare again ! Mulraney exactly the same on the other side with Djoum. 

I don't think for a minute that these are singularly Levein's judgement calls. It's got 'committee' stamped all over it. The usual suspects....

1 hour ago, Haken said:

I wonder is Levein will voluntarily stand down at the end of the season.  He can't be deaf to all that's going on, and on top of that he's already had one health scare.   

If we were by some miracle able to win the cup then it would be the perfect moment for him to step aside. Wishful thinking perhaps.

David McCaig
1 hour ago, kila said:

Sick of Levein’s big striker to hold the ball up tactics. So boring and other teams have sussed us out.

The obvious change to make on Saturday was Uche for Mulraney.

I feel desperately sorry for Vanecek as Levein seems to be on a mission to strip him of any dignity, confidence and respect.

10 minutes ago, Shovelly Joe said:

I can’t understand the logic behind wanting Levein to go before the end of the season.  We have a Scottish Cup Semi Final and European Qualification through the league to play for.  Bringing a new manager in at this stage of the season is a massive risk.  Whilst I admit the football has been rotten recently he deserves until the end of the season to turn it round.  Now people will point to Heckingbottom at Hibs and the impact he has made, however he has had a good run of games and I feel still un-tested.  Meek performance against Celtic and a lucky draw with Rangers having been second best throughout.  They will get tucked away at Tynecastle as they always do.

Get behind the team and Levein and we have the chance of winning the cup again.  Why risk it?

Not at all convinced Hibs will be tucked away, Joe. Either at Tynecastle or a possible 4th derby at ER.

The team looks clueless and lifeless most of the time and, if anything, appears to be getting worse rather than better. My fear is that come the derby and Cup semi we will have regressed even further. At the moment I don't feel at all confident we will beat ICT, never mind Aberdeen or Celtic in a final. The Tynecastle derby is a slightly different matter in that we're at home and Hibs' bottle usually crashes west of Princes' Street but occasionally it doesn't.

I have very little faith left in CL and would prefer a radical change now rather than in the Summer when a chance of the Cup final has passed. There doesn't seem to be even a remote chance of that happening, however, so I sincerely hope you're optimistic outlook prevails and my pessimism is held up as daft come the season's end. :)

43 minutes ago, Shovelly Joe said:

Is it just the timing of his departure that concerns you or do you think he should stay?

2 hours ago, kila said:

This is what gets me, it’s  been pretty obvious for some time that the tactics we go into games have been sussed out by who ever we play.  On Saturday there was plenty of opportunity to change things on the park when it was obvious that we were struggling.  Nothing happened though to well into the second half and by then it was far too late. Hamilton are a poor side but we just stumbled on in the match and handed the game to them on a plate. The players though have to take their share of the blame most of them looked disinterested and as if they were just going through the motions. Not good enough on every level.

8 hours ago, King Joffrey said:

But.

? absolutely spot on.

1 hour ago, Shovelly Joe said:

Could also argue bringing in someone new now will give him chance to asses and try get a response from most of them. If not he knows which ones to move on and where to strengthen.

OmiyaHearts
1 hour ago, Shovelly Joe said:

We're so poor on the pitch, I'd be amazed if any new manager appointed couldn't improve us. It would be virtually impossible to perform any worse than we have in our last match.

No question in my mind that any appointment would improve our chances of winning the cup. Probably get more than a point from our next three league fixtures (That's all I think we'll get - a draw v Hibs).

OmiyaHearts
9 hours ago, King Joffrey said:

But.

I don't think there's any doubt he's lost the dressing room. Look at our players work-rate and confidence.

He's destroyed Vanacek before the player has really had a chance to do anything. I felt starting him alone v Hamilton was just hanging him out to dry.

11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

They only did that when the fans turned on the board, I was in the Gorgie stand at the Dunfermline game and they were sat behind us. They received a fair amount of abuse during and after the game. Hopefully it doesn’t need to happen again for them to realise it’s just not good enough.

Your spot on and it does take owners to sit with fans to realise what they are going through 

watching someone manage Hearts who is out of their depth.

11 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I’d bloody hope not.

What would of put many potential managers from applying for the Hearts job after Cathro was 

sacked was the insistence that McPhee had to be Asst. Manager and that Daly, Fox ect had 

to be kept on. Now all these guys are Leveins men and this puts a new manager in an 

awkward position from day one. This whole thing of having a part-time DOF and a part-time 

Manager just hasn't worked. Short time fixing out Cathro/Levein's mess needed to be done 

but this mess we're in just now is down to bad planning. We have still got to deal with Levein 

wanting Jon Daly to take over when he leaves because remember after Cathro Levein wanted 

Daly to get the job and when he didn't that's when Levein, who had always said he wasn't 

interested, and had blocked all the other applicants got the managers job.

11 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Sacking Cathro and not giving the job to Daly was the 2 major things they have disagreed on.

been saying this for a while, he needs to go! simple as that. we play shite football when we have the capability to do so much better! i actually think we need a complete management overhaul

Governor Tarkin
10 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

But he's a ginger :(

If Levein goes then McPhee and Daly also go.

they are standing there every week trying to work out the tactics, so why would keeping them change anything.

Andy Kirk would be worth keeping imo

i like Lee Johnson at Bristol City but I don’t think we could tempt him from that job.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic