Levein’s time is up...

Heartsofgold

Pasquale for King
56 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We’d have finished 3rd this season if we never lost half our team to injury.

Leveins not even remotely close to losing his job so doubtful it’ll be a different manager.

Yeah no other team has had any injuries, if he wasn’t “struggling” to come up with another way of playing when Uche and Naismith injured we might have built on our good start. 

Two defeats in the next 7 days, being overtaken by Hibs and bottom 6 is the nightmare scenario but I wouldn’t bet against it. Let’s revisit this when it all plays out.

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spoleto

• Pasquale for King

• Alex Kintner

• JamboAl

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

He needs at least another two transfer windows before we can really judge him........

Please use Emojis instead of those full stops??

2 hours ago, Boab said:

We would be in with a chance of a Semi-final place if we had drawn Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd or ICT.

Probably less so with sevco or the demons, but still a chance.

No comfort blanket really !

Is that so, Nostradamus.  . It's going to be good seeing how we do get on against Dons &  the Hobos over the coming weeks, that's for sure - we already know how hopeless & hapless the team has been against the cannon fodder at the bottom of the league. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

He'll soon be in the last season of a 3 year deal ?  He'll be  gone at the end of next season.  Hopefully he won't be alone. The penny should have dropped with AB by then. 

Finish 3rd ?- you're insane. What have you been watching for the last two seasons ? 

What’s he been smoking more like ???‍♂️

Pasquale for King
18 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

We should give him a 5 year deal imo, we need some stability and he's the right man to take us forward. 

It would be funny if thousands of deluded fan boys didn’t actually believe it ?.

12 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Is that so, Nostradamus.  . It's going to be good seeing how we do get on against Dons &  the Hobos over the coming weeks, that's for sure - we already know how hopeless & hapless the team has been against the cannon fodder at the bottom of the league. 

Our record against those two this season is won 2...drawn 1 and lost one !

No crystal ball required there, chum!

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We’d have finished 3rd this season if we never lost half our team to injury.

Leveins not even remotely close to losing his job so doubtful it’ll be a different manager.

Since the first set of fixtures, 18 points from 48 available, should mean he is very close.

1 hour ago, NANOJAMBO said:

He'll soon be in the last season of a 3 year deal ?  He'll be  gone at the end of next season.  Hopefully he won't be alone. The penny should have dropped with AB by then. 

Finish 3rd ?- you're insane. What have you been watching for the last two seasons ? 

Aberdeen and Killie are good sides with good managers. The only thing they have on us is wide players who can dig out a win. If we can add a quality Left back and a couple of quality wingers we’ll be up there without a doubt. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah no other team has had any injuries, if he wasn’t “struggling” to come up with another way of playing when Uche and Naismith injured we might have built on our good start. 

Two defeats in the next 7 days, being overtaken by Hibs and bottom 6 is the nightmare scenario but I wouldn’t bet against it. Let’s revisit this when it all plays out.

No other team lost half their starting XI. 

It stopped our momentum. 

As I said, we can finish strongly. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

What’s he been smoking more like ???‍♂️

Says the merchant of doom. Bottom 6 :rofl:

18 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Since the first set of fixtures, 18 points from 48 available, should mean he is very close.

I’d imagine he will be judged on the season as a whole by the board. 

9 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I’d imagine he will be judged on the season as a whole by the board. 

So with 11 games to go and we are in 5th , he is close?

?

Edited by Gambo
Can't count

I find it quite incredible that we have fans that think being 5th in the League, and cannot beat Livingston, Dundee & St Mirren at home is ok.

They must have a pretty low satisfaction threshold. Perhaps their expectation of the team reflects their own personal goals in life.

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Aberdeen and Killie are good sides with good managers. The only thing they have on us is wide players who can dig out a win. If we can add a quality Left back and a couple of quality wingers we’ll be up there without a doubt. 

No other team lost half their starting XI. 

It stopped our momentum. 

As I said, we can finish strongly. 

Says the merchant of doom. Bottom 6 :rofl:

Celtic have lost Griffiths/Edouard/Brown/Tierney/Boyata/Simunovic/Biton/Lustig/Ajer/Hayes/Gordon/Hendry/Rogic/Benkovic

Rangers have lost Dorrans/Lafferty/Wallace/Barisic/Murphy/Jack/

Aberdeen have lost 

Logan/Hoban/Mackay Steven/McGinn/Lowe/Anderson

Hibs have lost

Porteous/Boyle/Bogdan/Gray/Hanlon/Gauld/Stevenson/Macgregor/Whittaker/Kamberi

Killie have liat

Brophy/Boyd/Jones/MacDonald/Bruce

Motherwell have lost 

Carson/Tanner/Cadden/Aldred/Mbulu/

All the teans above us and directly below us have injuries too I’m afraid.

Aberdeen and Kilmarmock have better managers than us.

Ww are two wingers, a goal scoring forward, a box to box midfielder and a Left back away from being a top four team if nobody leaves and we change manager.

St Johnstone and Hibs(11 points two games ago and have easy teams left) are 6 points behind us, we’re 6 points behind 3rd and our current form has us heading down the way.

Edited by Pasquale for King

2 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

I find it quite incredible that we have fans that think being 5th in the League, and cannot beat Livingston, Dundee & St Mirren at home is ok.

They must have a pretty low satisfaction threshold. Perhaps their expectation of the team reflects their own personal goals in life.

:rofl:

34 minutes ago, Gambo said:

So with 11 games to go and we are in 5th , he is close?

?

If we finish 5th and did not reach two semis then perhaps he’d be closer to moving back upstairs. The board won’t sack him if we finish 5th and beat Partick. 

I still think we’ll beat Partick and finish 4th tbh.

1 minute ago, Artful Dodger said:

:rofl:

:spoton: 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Definitely.

On 24/02/2019 at 13:21, tcjambo said:

We were great to watch earlier this season so what do you think has changed?

On 24/02/2019 at 14:30, Gambo said:

Here all season. In the good and the bad.

Listen I have watched hearts for over 50 years what has changed is we were good at the start of the season with McLean uche and naismith they need to play olly Lee with those three when they do we are fine.toddle off now 

5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Celtic have lost Griffiths/Edouard/Brown/Tierney/Boyata/Simunovic/Biton/Lustig/Ajer/Hayes/Gordon/Hendry/Rogic/Benkovic

Aberdeen have lost 

Hibs have lost

Killie have liat

Motherwell have lost 

Ww are two wingers, a goal scoring forward, a box to box midfielder and a Left back away from being a top four team if nobody leaves and we change manager.

Did they lose them all at the same time for months? I don’t think so. 

So what you’re saying is that all those additions plus a new manager and you’ll expect us to finish top 4 despite the fact we’re two points behind 4th at the moment. ?

9 minutes ago, GORGIEFIED said:

Listen I have watched hearts for over 50 years what has changed is we were good at the start of the season with McLean uche and naismith they need to play olly Lee with those three when they do we are fine.toddle off now 

Bit more respect please. I was giving my opinion which is equally valid with yours.

Edited by tcjambo

6 hours ago, Bainy said:

you just have to look at man united to see what a difference allowing a team to play attacking football and express themselves can have on a team. They werre horrible to watch under Jose and now they are suddenly playing exciting fast flwoing attacking football that teams cant live with.  Levein will never change his style he was a defender and it will always be about making yourself hard to beat first.  The lack of urgency or the willingness to just lump it long at times is so frustrating. 

Yeah if he was the manager in the Mark de Vriesy derby it would have been 1-0. Oh wait.......

33 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Nothing to do with low satisfaction levels. Most of us are disappointed. It's just we don't agree with throwing out all we have achieved in a pant wetting moment. Happy to compare what I've achieved in my life with you or anyone else since you brought up the subject.

Edited by tcjambo

55 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Aberdeen have lost 

Hibs have lost

Killie have liat

Motherwell have lost 

St Johnstone and Hibs(11 points two games ago and have easy teams left) are 6 points behind us, we’re 6 points behind 3rd and our current form has us heading down the way.

Ok posts like this just suggest you want Levein out no matter what.

First of all, Celtic and Ranges can both afford to buy much better backup players than we can.

Secondly, no club has lost so many key - in a couple of cases irreplaceable - and influential players for such long periods and at the same time. In fact I can’t remember a worst injury crisis in over 30 years for us or any club.

In some cases our backups’ backups have been injured.

Regardless of your opinion on Levein surely we can all agree this?

Edited by Guest

54 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

I would encourage anyone who feels they haven’t achieved everything, to read Kickback.

They will be ****ing cock-a-hoop and feeling great about themselves !

Captain America
On 24/02/2019 at 18:51, ToqueJambo said:

Has a manger ever taken over a team at a semi final stage and won a cup? Seems an extreme solution to a non-problem. Our derby, away and cup form has improved a lot this year, now the complaints are about style. So basically Levein - or whoever eventually replaces him - has to finish 2nd or 3rd, win a cup, win all the derbies, and do it playing some sort of mythical attractive football no-one can actually describe? And do this every season? Tough ask.

Valdas done it in 2006.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

First of all, Celtic and Ranges can both afford to buy much better backup players than we can.

Secondally, no club has lost so many key - in a couple of cases irreplaceable - and influential players for such long periods and at the same time. In fact I can’t remember a worst injury crisis in over 30 years for us or any club.

He won’t agree. It would go against his Anti Levein agenda to look at things rationally. If we get a result v Celtic, all the doom merchants and the Levein haters will go missing until the next result they can latch onto.

He’s practically admitted that he believes a new manager is needed to finish 4th but if Levein manages it, he should be sacked regardless. 

Just now, Captain America said:

Valdas done it in 2006.

Yeah I don’t think that season counts. Who knows how te teams were being picked but it certainly wasn’t all Valdas!

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Secondly, no club has lost so many key - in a couple of cases irreplaceable - and influential players for such long periods and at the same time. In fact I can’t remember a worst injury crisis in over 30 years for us or any club.

Yes they can of course afford to replace them but Celtics injury list shocked me, I found another 4/5 that I couldn’t be arsed typing. Aberdeen and Killie have lost important players too but have adapted better.

We have of course lost important players but didn’t miss Berra/Souttar as much as Uche and Naismith. As I’ve said a few times if CL was going to rely so heavily on Uche he really should’ve got another striker who could hold the ball up and link the play until Vanacek arrived, he had plenty of time as they knew KL was going in July it was just a matter of time. Unfortunately most teams now suffer lots of injuries, just over 80% of a squad miss games on average. Last season we played 43 players and only McLaughlin was fit for every game after he arrived. As for Levein I see no way forward for his management collection and team I’m afraid, he looked like a beaten man after Saturdays game.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes they can of course afford to replace them but Celtics injury list shocked me, I found another 4/5 that I couldn’t be arsed typing. Aberdeen and Killie have lost important players too but have adapted better.

We have of course lost important players but didn’t miss Berra/Souttar as much as Uche and Naismith. As I’ve said a few times if CL was going to rely so heavily on Uche he really should’ve got another striker who could hold the ball up and link the play until Vanacek arrived, he had plenty of time as they knew KL was going in July it was just a matter of time. Unfortunately most teams now suffer lots of injuries, just over 80% of a squad miss games on average. Last season we played 43 players and only McLaughlin was fit for every game after he arrived. As for Levein I see no way forward for his management collection and team I’m afraid, he looked like a beaten man after Saturdays game.

Get real. Celtic can keep a 9m striker on the bench and Griffiths wasn’t even first choice for quite a while.

To reiterate no team has had as catastrophic injury list as us. It’s a inarguable fact.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Did they lose them all at the same time for months? I don’t think so. 

So what you’re saying is that all those additions plus a new manager and you’ll expect us to finish top 4 despite the fact we’re two points behind 4th at the moment. ?

Yeah you don’t think so, you don’t know though do you? You have no clue about the other teams injuries or you wouldn’t talk so much Ill informed rubbish. Berra has been awful since he returned, he and Souttar weren’t really missed as much as we thought as results showed

,  Uche thinks he’s not far off the finished article but has scored one league goal in 10 games, Haring missed 8 games and we won 4 lost 2 and had 2 draws,  Naismith was the big loss as he conducts play on the pitch and missed 8 games and we had one win.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Get real. Celtic can keep a 9m striker on the bench and Griffiths wasn’t even first choice for quite a while.

To reiterate no team has had as catastrophic injury list as us. It’s a inarguable fact.

Who played up front if Griffiths wasn’t first choice and Edouard was on the bench?

Absolute rubbish, as I said up there only Naismith was irreplaceable and he missed 8 games.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah you don’t think so, you don’t know though do you? You have no clue about the other teams injuries or you wouldn’t talk so much Ill informed rubbish. Berra has been awful since he returned, he and Souttar weren’t really missed as much as we thought as results showed

,  Uche thinks he’s not far off the finished article but has scored one league goal in 10 games, Haring missed 8 games and we won 4 lost 2 and had 2 draws,  Naismith was the big loss as he conducts play on the pitch and missed 8 games and we had one win.

It’s crazy to downplay our injuries when it comes to judging this season.

Put it this way would a team without Jardine, levein, clark and robertson for half the season have done as well in 85/86?

Or the 98 team without adam, cameron, weir and Mccann?

your position seems to be levein should have had better replacements. Who would have been backups to those guys and hiw do you think we’d have coped?

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

If we finish 5th and did not reach two semis then perhaps he’d be closer to moving back upstairs. The board won’t sack him if we finish 5th and beat Partick. 

I still think we’ll beat Partick and finish 4th tbh.

A Hearts manager finishing 6th then 5th should count himself lucky he got the chance to finish 5th. 

4 minutes ago, Gambo said:

A Hearts manager finishing 6th then 5th should count himself lucky he got the chance to finish 5th. 

What about finishing 7th? Should a Hearts manager get to continue on to the next season if we finish outside the top six?

We're in the best financial state we've ever been in. 

We have anonymous donors crawling out of our ears

We have pumped millions into FOH

The performances on the pitch are not reflecting this. 

This is our time to shine,

We should be miles ahead of where we are now. 

Levein has tried to claw it back after all the mistakes he let happen but it's not working. 

People that are saying, ohhh but this is where we should be according to history. Get a flippin grip. 

We'll be in an even better position once the stand is paid off. 

Do we really want Levein spending that extra money? Hell no. 

Edited by Top Corner

Just now, Gambo said:

There are criticisms to be made.

The appointment of Cathro set us back a couple of seasons and Levein inherited one of the most limited squads we’ve ever had. We started poorly. We had to play at Murrayfield and when we came back to Tynie we were pretty good, our away form however was abysmal. That’s not an excuse though. 6th last season was shockingly below the standard expected for this club.

We’ve been unlucky with injuries this year. I think that completely stopped us in our tracks. We should have replaced Lafferty when we needed to and we should have replaced Milinkovic. 

We’ve been unsettled with changing coaches, it then becoming a disaster. An upheaval of playing staff over the seasons. The new stand, playing at Murrayfield. It hasn’t been ideal. 

We have a decent squad to build upon though. Everything is there now and we just need a few better players and more pace, depth on the bench and we’ll be a pretty strong side next season. The last thing we need is a change of manager.

11 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

What about finishing 7th? Should a Hearts manager get to continue on to the next season if we finish outside the top six?

Not if it was your second season at it.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It’s crazy to downplay our injuries when it comes to judging this season.

Put it this way would a team without Jardine, levein, clark and robertson for half the season have done as well in 85/86?

Or the 98 team without adam, cameron, weir and Mccann?

your position seems to be levein should have had better replacements. Who would have been backups to those guys and hiw do you think we’d have coped?

Did those teams sign twenty players?

Has Dunnes performances not been better than Berra’s? Did we start losing goals when Souttar got injured? Did we stop scoring on average 2 goals a game when Uche was out? No is the answer.

Did we fall apart when Naismith was our for 8 games? Yes. Have we recovered or are the management still “struggling” to remedy it?We have a huge squad with youngsters in there too and it isn’t good enough in reality.  Is it my job to find replacements or have back ups for a guy like Uche, our scouting system fails constantly year after year. They had over a month to get someone like Uche (Sow or someone simiar) and not only failed but spent a fortune on Wighton ffs ???‍♂️

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

We're in the best financial state we've ever been in. 

We have anonymous donors crawling out of our ears

We have pumped millions into FOH

The performances on the pitch are not reflecting this. 

This is our time to shine,

We should be miles ahead of where we are now. 

Levein has tried to claw it back after all the mistakes he let happen but it's not working. 

People that are saying, ohhh but this is where we should be according to history. Get a flippin grip. 

We'll be in an even better position once the stand is paid off. 

Do we really want Levein spending that extra money? Hell no. 

Well said.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Did those teams sign twenty players?

Has Dunnes performances not been better than Berra’s? Did we start losing goals when Souttar got injured? Did we stop scoring on average 2 goals a game when Uche was out? No is the answer.

Did we fall apart when Naismith was our for 8 games? Yes. Have we recovered or are the management still “struggling” to remedy it?We have a huge squad with youngsters in there too and it isn’t good enough in reality.  Is it my job to find replacements or have back ups for a guy like Uche, our scouting system fails constantly year after year. They had over a month to get someone like Uche (Sow or someone simiar) and not only failed but spent a fortune on Wighton ffs ???‍♂️

We did fall apart due to injuries actually or we’d have probably won the league in 97/98. We just didn’t have the depth. 

We almost got relegated when Colin Cameron did his hip in 99 and was out for months, then he came back and we ended up about 9th. 

7 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

There are criticisms to be made.

The appointment of Cathro set us back a couple of seasons and Levein inherited one of the most limited squads we’ve ever had. We started poorly. We had to play at Murrayfield and when we came back to Tynie we were pretty good, our away form however was abysmal. That’s not an excuse though. 6th last season was shockingly below the standard expected for this club.

We’ve been unlucky with injuries this year. I think that completely stopped us in our tracks. We should have replaced Lafferty when we needed to and we should have replaced Milinkovic. 

We’ve been unsettled with changing coaches, it then becoming a disaster. An upheaval of playing staff over the seasons. The new stand, playing at Murrayfield. It hasn’t been ideal. 

We have a decent squad to build upon though. Everything is there now and we just need a few better players and more pace, depth on the bench and we’ll be a pretty strong side next season. The last thing we need is a change of manager.

Levein was at the club overseeing all things football for 3 years before he took over the 1st team reigns. He was in the best position possible to know what was needed.

A near further 2 years down the road we are still a mess on the park. 

If 6th was, in your words, was shockingly below the standards of our club, bearing in mind the excuses you gave cathro, murrayfield etc , what is 5th with a team/squad of his own making?

What we need for next season is a complete clear out (though I expect we will end up with McPhee) of the managing/coaching set up and a fresh approach to the way we go about our football.

13 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Not if it was your second season at it.

Thank goodness you weren’t in charge of the board in the 80s then  as you’d have binned Alex MacDonald. :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Thank goodness you weren’t in charge of the board in the 80s then  as you’d have binned Alex MacDonald. :facepalm:

MacDonald...a habitual loser at Hearts. ?

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

MacDonald...a habitual loser at Hearts. ?

Should have binned him after he finished 5th and then 7th in his first two seasons in the top flight. At least then we wouldn’t have had to endure those two 2nd place finishes under him in the next three seasons. :whistling:

Edited by To Be Frank

4 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Are you being serious?

I don't think I've ever been serious. It's a character flaw I've not been able to correct. I'm an Arsehole......and proud of it.

I will give him until the end of the season anything less than European football and its leaving us with no option but for Craig to go and bring someone else in. 

11 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

We did fall apart due to injuries actually or we’d have probably won the league in 97/98. We just didn’t have the depth. 

We almost got relegated when Colin Cameron did his hip in 99 and was out for months, then he came back and we ended up about 9th

6th.  But I get your point.  

2 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Yes but did we not fall to the bottom of the league Feb/March time? 

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Levein was at the club overseeing all things football for 3 years before he took over the 1st team reigns. He was in the best position possible to know what was needed.

A near further 2 years down the road we are still a mess on the park. 

If 6th was, in your words, was shockingly below the standards of our club, bearing in mind the excuses you gave cathro, murrayfield etc , what is 5th with a team/squad of his own making?

What we need for next season is a complete clear out (though I expect we will end up with McPhee) of the managing/coaching set up and a fresh approach to the way we go about our football.

He made a stonking great error appointing Cathro and tbf last season with that in mind I think I wanted him punted last May because it was feckin chronic especially away. 

I don’t think we are a mess on the park at all though. We’ve had a clear out and we’ve brought in some good players but are short in a number of areas. We need to actually let the manager build a team rather than changing it again because there are no guarantees we’d be any better off to start with.

The thing is, we’d need to replace Levein as DoF as well as the manager and probably the assistant as well. Then the new manager will want new players and so it begins, again... more upheaval, a shit tonne of money on another 20 players and coaches. It’s really the last thing we need. 

We aren’t far away and we’re actually in a reasonable position to start finishing in the top 3 starting next season when we can build upon what we have. 

6 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

? thanks to Sir Colin Cameron. It was yonks ago, got my number upside down. 

3 minutes ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

I seem to remember we were down there.

4 minutes ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

Yes we did and thankfully we sacked the manager and brought in a new one who salvaged our season. ??

5 minutes ago, Jambo_Gaz said:

We fell bottom after we lost at Dundee.  The Mo Berthe match.

• JKBMod 12 changed the title to Levein’s time is up...
  • davemclaren pinned and unpinned this topic
  • davemclaren locked this topic