Genuine question - Why do Celtic get so many cards in Europe?

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

Do they change their style to one of more aggressiveness when against better teams ?(which does happen to be fair)

Is it the refs? (I know most will go for this)

I hate the refs in this country as they imo are not cheats, just massively incompetent. 

Are the refs better or is it Celtic have to chase and tackle more in Europe?

Yep the refs in Scotland are corrupt. Scott Brown for example would have got away with the tackle that he got booked for tonight, about 2/3 times before being yellow carded. 

Corrupt and incompetent. 

Portable Badger
1 minute ago, Famous 1874 said:

Yep the refs in Scotland are corrupt. Scott Brown for example would have got away with the tackle that he got booked for tonight, about 2/3 times before being yellow carded. 

Corrupt and incompetent. 

This

21 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Corrupt and incompetent. 

Watching that tackle again he goes in with both feet off the ground and scissor tackles the Valencia player missing the ball completely but getting both legs. That could easily have been red by the letter of the law.

They’d get more here if the refs did their job without bias and corruption. What you see in Europe is a true reflection of the way rules should be applied without favour or prejudice.

Another Robbo

Tell them it evens itself out over the season ?

Refs are a major factor and at that level aren’t they also meant to be among the best from each country.

Also pretty sure most if not all games are on live TV so added pressure/scrutiny of any mistakes. Especially by UEFA. Most of the time SFA can see no evil.

34 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Do they change their style to one of more aggressiveness when against better teams ?(which does happen to be fair)

I hate the refs in this country as they imo are not cheats, just massively incompetent. 

Definitely refs. Celtic players get it so easy in Scotland they struggle to change their ways in Europe and get cards or fouls given against them they should but don't get in Scotland.

9 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

Watching that tackle again he goes in with both feet off the ground and scissor tackles the Valencia player missing the ball completely but getting both legs. That could easily have been red by the letter of the law.

It was worse than Garuccio's. ?

Its to do with quality of opposition, the quick slick passing and all round clever attacking play of european teams definitely brings on more fouls.

The refs are not actually all that great, its often in the Champions League and World Cup that you get the chance to see just how awful everyones officials are, or just how difficult the game is to manage now.

Bazzas right boot

They play better teams. 

Better teams have faster, stronger more technical and intelligent players. 

Celtic aren't as good so foul more as the are generally slower, less technical, weaker and less intelligent. 

Shite teams tend to foul better teams more. 

Not rocket science. 

Scott brown gets more cards for the above reasons and that in Europe being celtic captain means he haw. 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, VALDOS said:

Its to do with quality of opposition, the quick slick passing and all round clever attacking play of european teams definitely brings on more fouls.

The refs are not actually all that great, its often in the Champions League and World Cup that you get the chance to see just how awful everyones officials are, or just how difficult the game is to manage now.

I have thought on the last two world cups the refs have been good. 

Odd exception ofc, but in general don't book too often, let play flow and are generally quite good. 

Some of the tackles that were just fouls in the WC Suprised me, good to see not every tackle that was mis timed resulting in being booked. 

Bazzas right boot
41 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Pat Bonner is probably best to ask seeing as he has covered every celtic game home and away for what seems decades now 

Only person with a season ticket for home and away games. 

Covers the league, Champions league, europa league, lc and sc. 

Good value for money, his St is. 

chester copperpot
6 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

They play better teams. 

Celtic aren't as good so foul more as the are generally slower, less technical, weaker and less intelligent. 

Not rocket science. 

Scott brown gets more cards for the above reasons and that in Europe being celtic captain means he haw. 

So the question beggars? If he commits those fouls in Scotland is it fair? He still does it

1 hour ago, King prawn said:

90% referees

10% quality of opposition perhaps means they see less of the ball

I'd say it's the other way around. They are seeing less of the ball so will make more fouls. They will also be punished for things that they wouldn't at home. 

90% better teams

10% non weegie refs

Refs in European computions didn't give a monkeys about the old firm so nothing gets sweeped under the table if it was the same every week no British refs only european ones we would prob see a different out look in a game 

1 hour ago, chester copperpot said:

Fairly obvious. They have less possession in Europe. It’s really difficult to give a foul when you have the ball. In the Scottish Premiership they have the ball most of the game. When you look at the top team in most European leagues the leader has the least cards.

Now that they have been papped out of Europe for the second time this season, it must be about time for them to create another story about moving to England to try and deflect how piss-poor they are in Europe.

40 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Fairly obvious. They have less possession in Europe. It’s really difficult to give a foul when you have the ball. In the Scottish Premiership they have the ball most of the game. When you look at the top team in most European leagues the leader has the least cards.

Genuinely sound logic. But is there evidence other top teams get as much leeway from refs? 

28 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Genuinely sound logic. But is there evidence other top teams get as much leeway from refs? 

Top ranking in FairPlay table:

Bundesliga:

Borrusia Monchengladbach 

Dortmund

Munich

EPL:

Liverpool 

Chelsea 

Tottenham

Man City. 

La Liga

Barcelona 

Real Madrid 

Demonstrates that if you have the majority of possession  you simply won’t give away as many  fouls. Also demonstrates how daft it is to suggest any form of Old Firm bias as Rangers are towards the bottom of our Fair Play table. No other ‘top’ team in their league is in a comparable situation.

Something to really look forward to - Celtic being Refereed properly. Night and Day with what they get away with in Scotland. The amazement in their faces when booked for stuff our Referees ignore on a weekly basis.

It is not incompetence - our Referees favour both rangers and celtic in 50/50 decisions. Unless all the other teams make a stand, nothing will change.

5 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Something to really look forward to - Celtic being Refereed properly. Night and Day with what they get away with in Scotland. The amazement in their faces when booked for stuff our Referees ignore on a weekly basis.

It is not incompetence - our Referees favour both rangers and celtic in 50/50 decisions. Unless all the other teams make a stand, nothing will change.

To be fair I always find continental refs give a lot of fussy bookings to Scottish clubs in general. The game they are used to is a lot less physical. . 

Boring Brendan moaning about the ref, I see.

The idea, floated earlier this week, about using foreign refs, wouldn't survive long. If, as they are in UEFA comps, these foreign refs were not intiidated by the OF, the OF would soon see them off.

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Top ranking in FairPlay table:

Bundesliga:

Borrusia Monchengladbach 

Dortmund

Munich

EPL:

Liverpool 

Chelsea 

Tottenham

Man City. 

La Liga

Barcelona 

Real Madrid 

Demonstrates that if you have the majority of possession  you simply won’t give away as many  fouls. Also demonstrates how daft it is to suggest any form of Old Firm bias as Rangers are towards the bottom of our Fair Play table. No other ‘top’ team in their league is in a comparable situation.

I can agree with that.

I could be wrong here, but when we were in the championship  season I am sure we were near the bottom of the fairplay  and we were pumping teams for fun, guess who was at the top......

millerjames398

Celtic are up against better, faster more technically gifted footballers in europe, and are left chasing shadows, their fouls are then judged by refs who dont give a shiny shite about them, and deal with them accordingly??

1 hour ago, jambojai said:

I can agree with that.

I could be wrong here, but when we were in the championship  season I am sure we were near the bottom of the fairplay  and we were pumping teams for fun, guess who was at the top......

Aye but we were big and physical with giants like Nicholson,Walker, Gomis and Holt.

6 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Celtic player yellow carded TWICE  and off within 36 minutes should point you in the right direction. 

Jambof3tornado

I'd love to see the no of fouls to cards ratio for league and european matches.  Genuinely dont see it being anything to do with better opponents and having less of the ball. Scott Brown must get 5 to 8 fouls before a booking in league matches, in europe he gets less than half that.

The referees are swayed,deliberately on not by the west.

Genuine answer: They don't get so many cards in Europe compared to the league.

Average 1.8 cards per Europa League game in last 12 matches.

Last 12 league games - average 1.4 cards

Edited by OmiyaHearts

The Treasurer
10 hours ago, iainmac said:

Celtic player yellow carded TWICE  and off within 36 minutes should point you in the right direction. 

Those two offences wouldn't have been given as a foul against them never mind a card if it was a league game.

55 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Genuine answer: They don't get so many cards in Europe compared to the league.

Average 1.8 cards per Europa League game in last 12 matches.

Last 12 league games - average 1.4 cards

Pesky facts. 

Seymour M Hersh
16 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

They play better teams. 

Not rocket science. 

Has "Browny" not had over 200 yellow cards in domestic football throughout his career?