Time for a breakaway league!

eduardo.j

This season and more importantly the last week has shown just how vile the old firm are and how the sfa are happy to turn a blind eye to almost anything they do.  I think it's time that these two clubs were left to rot as they seem to forget that they need us more than we need them, it's time the other 10 spl clubs and Maybe 6 or 8 from the championship formed a new top flight with two leagues below it.

Now of course uefa have said in the past they wouldn't recognise such a set up but seeing as we'll be playing in the UEFA b cup in a few years does that really matter? Wouldnt you swap a tie with some team from the middle of nowhere for the chance to play for 3 trophies without the old firm?

Now I fully understand clubs might struggle to sign players without the lure of playing against the old firm or European games, attendances may drop and it would also mean the old firm are left high and dry in a league of two, but wouldn't it be better in the long term?

Edited by eduardo.j

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eduardo.j

• Beast Boy

• davemclaren

• Nookie Bear

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Gambo said:

The old firm are Scottish, they belong in our league.

Do they? Swansea and Cardiff don't play in the Welsh league yet they are from Wales. If somebody came into your home stole all your money and kept belittling everything you did whilst being violent would you still consider them welcome?

Just now, eduardo.j said:

Do they? Swansea and Cardiff don't play in the Welsh league yet they are from Wales. If somebody came into your home stole all your money and kept belittling everything you did whilst being violent would you still consider them welcome?

Not married then? 

I don't think we should but those two would be pretty quick at dumping the rest of us without a care for a Euro league or a place in England.

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

I don't think we should but those two would be pretty quick at dumping the rest of us without a care for a Euro league or a place in England.

Exactly so based on that why on earth should we pander to them anymore? The way they treat our game they really don't deserve a place in it!

2 minutes ago, eduardo.j said:

Exactly so based on that why on earth should we pander to them anymore? The way they treat our game they really don't deserve a place in it!

Most clubs are quite happy to pander to them though.

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Most clubs are quite happy to pander to them though.

Again this baffles me? I understand the need for the ticket money they bring but surely having a set up without them would see bigger home crowds over time anyway?

PeterintheRain
25 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Sevco are english and septic are plastic oirish.  Neither belong in Scotland.  We had the chance to destroy them with the 10 team breakaway before the SPL was formed but we were betrayed as ever and our enemies now run every aspect of our footballing lives.

Strange to see a real Hearts fan take their side though....

12 minutes ago, sac said:

The authorities had the chance to kill off the old Gers & bottled it big time. 

the authorities are the clubs, they gave celtic and sevco a veto on any decisions made, the same veto they gave celtic and rangers.

most clubs run by someone with a leaning towards one or the other. only ones able to change anything are we the fans, anyone think we can muster the entire support of the other clubs to boycott all games until their owners play ball.

we couldn;t muster the hearts support never mind the rest

6 minutes ago, eduardo.j said:

Again this baffles me? I understand the need for the ticket money they bring but surely having a set up without them would see bigger home crowds over time anyway?

Unfortunately most Scottish Football fans have a big club and a wee club. There are also many OF fans on the boards of other football clubs. Then you have morons like Lord Haw-Haw-Haughey who believes Glasgow must remain the “Heart of Scottish Football”.

The older I get the more disheartened I become with Scottish football. The bias officiating is a farce. 

Personally would love to see those two monstrosities join some super-duper league. 

True, there would be very little money, tv/sponsor wise, in a domestic league without them but we'd all just have to cut our cloth accordingly. Most of us already do anyway. 

Winning a league title race at the expense of Hibs, Aberdeen, Killie...would have enough kudos for me. It would be far better than playing in a league we, realistically, can't win. 

1 hour ago, eduardo.j said:

How is the League of Wales doing?

48 minutes ago, PeterintheRain said:

Sevco are english and septic are plastic oirish.  Neither belong in Scotland.  We had the chance to destroy them with the 10 team breakaway before the SPL was formed but we were betrayed as ever and our enemies now run every aspect of our footballing lives.

How good is it beating the old firm on the way to winning a cup, and hopefully in my lifetime, a league?

Take away the old firm, any trophy win would be slightly tainted by the old firm not being in it.

1 minute ago, Gambo said:

How good is it beating the old firm on the way to winning a cup, and hopefully in my lifetime, a league?

Take away the old firm, any trophy win would be slightly tainted by the old firm not being in it.

Not for me, starting a leage season with 4 or 5 clubs in with a chance of winning it would be fantastic.

I’d be happy to see th back of them. Scottish Football would thrive without them. As was proved when Sevco were given a lifeline into the lowest league.  Crowds actually went up in the premiership.

Edited by Dannie Boy

1 hour ago, sac said:

The authorities had the chance to kill off the old Gers & bottled it big time. 

No they didn't, the old Gers do not exist anymore, dead, deid, extinct, an ex football club.

They let the new club into the league system far too easilly though.

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

That explains the Red Hand of Ulster and Irish Tricolour flags flown by the majority of their fans, as well as all the well-known Scottish songs they sing about Derry's Walls and the Fields of Athenry right enough

:sarcasm:

Not fussy about TV deals, the biggest reason I’d oppose Sevco and Celtic joining another richer league, is that they would still be based here. Over one generation the vast majority of kids born here would end up supporting one of them. They would hoover up every good young player too. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Smack said:

Not married then? 

?

Rangers and celtic are horrible *******s. 

Unsure of the long term effects, would we be like Ireland, Wales or Norway, Switzerland, Denmark. 

I'm inclined to go the latter. 

I'd also be 100% fo trying it. 

Startig every season with a chance of the league would be fantastic. 

Genuine excitement.

As institutions they are horrible *******s so would gladly see the back of them. 

For me, more pros than Cons, but I can see why folk might think the game would go tits up 

The difference in Wales and Ireland as we have big clubs compared to the clubs there and football is the number 1 sport here. 

A Hearts and Hibs side at the top end if the league would sell out every week. 

Aberdeen would be close. 

Much bigger than the Welsh clubs, we'd be getting 30k if winning leagues evert year as well. 

30 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I’d be happy to see th back of them. Scottish Football would thrive without them. As was proved when Sevco were given a lifeline into the lowest league.  Crowds actually went up in the premiership.

I agree with you Dannie.

Hearts,Aberdeen etc challenging for a title,would bring much bigger crowds to the domestic games every Saturday and the money from the 4 visits from the "Ugly Sisters" a season,would be more than compensated.

14 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Not fussy about TV deals, the biggest reason I’d oppose Sevco and Celtic joining another richer league, is that they would still be based here. Over one generation the vast majority of kids born here would end up supporting one of them. They would hoover up every good young p#layer too. 

You might not be bothered about tv deals but every single club would be. 

Some of them would struggle to exist without one. 

Just now, Top Corner said:

You might not be bothered about tv deals but every single club would be. 

Some of them would struggle to exist without one. 

Kindly go back to “not having any desire to converse with me” All out Attack, there’s a good chap. ?

1 minute ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Kindly go back to “not having any desire to converse with me” All out Attack, there’s a good chap. ?

You hate the truth eh? lol

And i'm not all out attack so you're wrong again. 

I was always of the opinion when it was being discussed years ago round the time of SPL TV that hey need us more than we need them and I wish all the club's had shown more courage to stand up to them. I would stop short of breaking away fully but I'd suggest all other teams get together and announce they are resigning to create a new league with equal voting power and equal money sharing while openly inviting both of them to join. If they refuse, then where are they going to go? Surely if we hold our nerve, they would have to accept, with the result being a much fairer league.

Just now, Top Corner said:

You hate the truth eh? lol

And i'm not all out attack so you're wrong again. 

Really. Kindly go back to wanting Hearts to lose the next derby. ?

Unfortunately the old firm have a psychological hold over the rest of us. 

It would be a breath of fresh air if they both ****ed off. Then we could eradicate sectarianism. 

1 hour ago, PeterintheRain said:

But he’s right. 

And if the old firm join another league we are still left with their supporters and the media would ignore the rest even more than they do now. Our tv deal would be even more paltry as a result. 

We have to somehow reform from where we are now. 

However my gut feeling is that a European league will happen in the next decade or so and these two would be invited to join the Euro League Div 2

Tenaciousdandy

Personally in all for a breakaway league without those two, short term would probably be a bit bleak regarding TV deals/spotlight without celtic or the rangers, but let's be honest the deal we currently have is pretty crap for every team except celtic and rangers plus with about 4/5 teams challenging for the league most seasons the fans would surely turn up to support and cheer there local team on to a possible race and would eventually catch the eye of a broadcaster like bt sports 

1 minute ago, steven.dandy79 said:

Personally in all for a breakaway league without those two, short term would probably be a bit bleak regarding TV deals/spotlight without celtic or the rangers, but let's be honest the deal we currently have is pretty crap for every team except celtic and rangers plus with about 4/5 teams challenging for the league most seasons the fans would surely turn up to support and cheer there local team on to a possible race and would eventually catch the eye of a broadcaster like bt sports 

If those two play in England the glory hunting would only get worse. 

I suppose we could sell ourselves as a second team to rangers fans ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
44 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Not fussy about TV deals, the biggest reason I’d oppose Sevco and Celtic joining another richer league, is that they would still be based here. Over one generation the vast majority of kids born here would end up supporting one of them. They would hoover up every good young player too. 

Something needs to be done for integrity sake.

Can't believe we wouldn't get a deal of sorts. 

Armageddon type shitebags haven't learned then from 2012 insolvency there really is life without them 

Tenaciousdandy
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

If those two play in England the glory hunting would only get worse. 

I suppose we could sell ourselves as a second team to rangers fans ?

Tbh I doubt if anyone in the English top flight would want them in there league, neither would the likes of Leeds, Sunderland or any of the big teams in the lower English leagues

Feck that lol would you really what them in tynie week in week out spouting there bile pish

I utterly despise both of the bigot brothers but you can't just demand a new league just because they essentially win everything.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

No they didn't, the old Gers do not exist anymore, dead, deid, extinct, an ex football club.

They let the new club into the league system far too easilly though.

Aye ok then.

2 hours ago, reaths17 said:

the authorities are the clubs, they gave celtic and sevco a veto on any decisions made, the same veto they gave celtic and rangers.

most clubs run by someone with a leaning towards one or the other. only ones able to change anything are we the fans, anyone think we can muster the entire support of the other clubs to boycott all games until their owners play ball.

we couldn;t muster the hearts support never mind the rest

The fans have done hee haw, & that includes you me & everyone else who follow our club, &, this will always be the case.

portobellojambo1
1 hour ago, Top Corner said:

Daft idea. 

The old firm bring in far too much money and interest. 

TV deals would be non existent for example. 

What you say is correct, but it would mean that all clubs would then have to survive on income they could generate off their own backs. And as someone who believes 100% that the place to watch football is in a football stadium and not on a TV if the TV deal collapsed I wouldn't give a shit about that.