Steve Clarke Rant

Maroon Sailor

i wish jj was my dad
5 hours ago, davemclaren said:

More prevalent at Rangers and Celtic than anywhere else. 

TBF that's a decent statement and goes a lot further than anything I can remember. He still can't accept it as an OF problem though. As much as we have an increasing number of kiddie on Huns they are  tiny % of our support.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• Bazzas right boot

• Jamhammer

• Maroon Sailor

Decent statement from King, but follow up with actions.

No more orange tops.

No more sash tops

Ask broadcasters not to mute microphones

Get every employee, board member, ambassador, directors box hanger on, Hall of Fame member together and build into contracts that any form of sectarian activity will lead to instant dismissal and life long ban from Ibrox and Rangers games.

Inform the police why.

5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Decent statement from King, but follow up with actions.

No more orange tops.

No more sash tops

Ask broadcasters not to mute microphones

Get every employee, board member, ambassador, directors box hanger on, Hall of Fame member together and build into contracts that any form of sectarian activity will lead to instant dismissal and life long ban from Ibrox and Rangers games.

Inform the police why.

Well said .

7 hours ago, Peebo said:

You don’t need to arrest them all. You can collect the evidence (film them) then arrest some. I’m unsure if “other people were doing it, so you can’t convict my client” is a viable defence. I doubt it, as individuals are routinely successfully prosecuted despite other individuals not being simultaneously prosecuted for similar crimes. 

The “you can’t arrest them all” argument stands up to absolutely no scrutiny in any other walk of life. Why do people accept that football matches (and sectarian abuse in particular) are different? 

Even if it did have merit, we are then essentially saying we accept mass instances of illegal behaviour at football matches. Why? Again, in any other part of everyday life, if that was the case, the events simply wouldn’t be allowed to happen. 

If we don’t want sectarian behaviour, either deal with it to the best of our ability and resources or else stop the events where such behaviour inevitably, and routinely, happens. 

6 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

We are in agreement Peebo I think we just differ in our "cure". The Police ALONE can't deal with it. It's not a case of turning a blind eye or not enforcing the law. 

In 2020 Celtic come to Tynecastle. The whole away end blasts out Fields of Athenry or whatever. The powers that be then say the next home game at Parkheid will be behind closed doors. It is. Next away game. Same thing. The powers that be then ban Celtic supporters from away games for, say a month.

Next Old firm game both sides of the divide sing their "traditional" songs. Both are deducted 3 points and informed that any repeat would see the deduction of 6 points.

Do you think this would have an effect?

Not sure if Fields of Athenry is sectarian...

1 hour ago, Hairdryer said:

Listening to sports sound on the BBC according to Billy dodds it will be 

At least the next generation before the sectetianism does out 

Picard: Things are only impossible until they are not

1 hour ago, Riccarton3 said:

Anything been said from any Rangers supporters groups?

yes, they agree

..Clarke is nothing but a fenian *******.

sorry for my shit attempt at humour. I totally respect Steve clarke for this, absolutely outstanding.

Sectarianism, "Scotland' shame". I disagree, Celtic & Rangers are "Scotland's shame".

Without these two despicable outfits, sectarianism wouldn't exist.

For the next couple of weeks, all the usual wanks will bluster about the need for change.

An action group will be formed, then we all get back on the bus and forget about it.

We have allowed Celtic & Rangers to dominate the running of the game, we are past the no return.

Their clubs main revenue streams are made from it. No change will allowed to be implemented (ie Strict liability).

SectionDJambo

Celtic and Rangers power and domination of Scottish football is maintained, and flourishes, by religious bigotry. It is not in their financial, or moral, interests to seriously discourage it. They are happy for it to continue, but with sound bites to make out they don't want it.

The SFA have done nothing to discourage it either, and probably never will. The media revel in the "unique" atmosphere of the Old Firm games. 

This will blow over and nothing will change.

4 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

And they were probably at their very worst in 1987, the year he signed for them. Stamford Bridge was an absolute shithole back then with some very violent and unpleasant supporters. At around then, they formed a strong empathy with Rangers, who they saw as their Scottish cousins.

Can you tell me when that has changed, 2 horrible institutions with horrible scumbag players and fans.

14 hours ago, sac said:

He thanked Chelsea for taking him & his family away from all that sectarian stuff forgetting that Chelsea fans are a shower of racists.

Yeh I had to chuckle at that!!!

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

Celtic and Rangers power and domination of Scottish football is maintained, and flourishes, by religious bigotry. It is not in their financial, or moral, interests to seriously discourage it. They are happy for it to continue, but with sound bites to make out they don't want it.

The SFA have done nothing to discourage it either, and probably never will. The media revel in the "unique" atmosphere of the Old Firm games. 

Spot on!!

16 hours ago, sac said:

He thanked Chelsea for taking him & his family away from all that sectarian stuff forgetting that Chelsea fans are a shower of racists.

Chelsea Loyalists.   I spent a very unpleasant morning with them on a channel crossing. Utter scum. 

8 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Anything been said from any Rangers supporters groups?

"**** the Pope." probably.

J.T.F.Robertson

A bit late from me, but Gerrard "wonders why Clarke had no comment on the Kris Boyd incident". He's a lost cause already, whaboutary at it's best.

It's a fekin Rangers/Celtic issue, not "societal". (they're obviously part of "society" but the majority of this shit stems from them) A proxy "war" played out on a football field.

1 minute ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

A bit late from me, but Gerrard "wonders why Clarke had no comment on the Kris Boyd incident". He's a lost cause already, whaboutary at it's best.

It's a fekin Rangers/Celtic issue, not "societal". (they're obviously part of "society" but the majority of this shit stems from them) A proxy "war" played out on a football field.

:spoton: on all counts.

19 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

You are a cop at Tynecastle. There are 3k Rangers fans singing The Sash. You need 6k cops to arrest them all and shitloads of vehicles to transport them to where? Or do you lift as many as you have cops at the stadium? What is your evidence at court? "The accused was singing the sash", "Was he alone"? "No, everyone was doing it". "Why wasn't everyone arrested"?

At Ibrox or Parkhead you realistically could have 30k to 40k folk singing a "prescribed song". How are the old bill going to arrest them all? There will be a couple of hundred cops at an old firm game at most where pretty much EVERYONE THERE will be taking part in this nonsense. We simply can't police our way out of it when it comes to the OF.

CCTV and then they can chap their doors.

9 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Irish rugby fans sing that as well don’t they not? There’s no sectarianism in rugby,as far as I know?

21 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

You are a cop at Tynecastle. There are 3k Rangers fans singing The Sash. You need 6k cops to arrest them all and shitloads of vehicles to transport them to where? Or do you lift as many as you have cops at the stadium? What is your evidence at court? "The accused was singing the sash", "Was he alone"? "No, everyone was doing it". "Why wasn't everyone arrested"?

At Ibrox or Parkhead you realistically could have 30k to 40k folk singing a "prescribed song". How are the old bill going to arrest them all? There will be a couple of hundred cops at an old firm game at most where pretty much EVERYONE THERE will be taking part in this nonsense. We simply can't police our way out of it when it comes to the OF.

You lift the one closest to you and keep going. People will soon stop if they realise there is a potential of getting lifted. 

26 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Nor the sash. It was deemed not sectarian by a judge s few years back

:rofl: Who'd have thought it. A judge , a mason and an Orangeman walk into a restaurant. Table for one Sir.

Edited by ri Alban

BBC in its report says Scottish clubs have been fined under strict liability in the past whilst competing in Europe.has any other club bar those pair been fined?

Honestly, Scotland must be the only place on earth where football punters actively seek the find out the religion of people in the game. Sad as ****. Who could care less? Only those cretins.

12 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Think there is an added anti Protestant something or IRA something added by Celtic to make it so

5 minutes ago, mayfield said:

Honestly, Scotland must be the only place on earth where football punters actively seek the find out the religion of people in the game. Sad as ****. Who could care less? Only those cretins.

I can only think of the Labour obsession with Jews as a comparison. 

It doesnt happen outsidenof fotball either. I have no idea which religion my colleagues adhere to, if any. 

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

Nor the sash. It was deemed not sectarian by a judge s few years back

And the problem rolls on...the Sash is ok, Fields of Athenry is ok, taking a UJ or tricolour to a game is ok...

But we all know WHY those songs are sung and those flags flown. It’s to antagonise. 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

You lift the one closest to you and keep going. People will soon stop if they realise there is a potential of getting lifted. 

Stop when you run out of cops, transport, cell space? Cops alone won’t take long and then when they tan the kiosks or go fighting in the street there are no cops.

3 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Stop when you run out of cops, transport, cell space? Cops alone won’t take long and then when they tan the kiosks or go fighting in the street there are no cops.

Of course not, you just need to make an example of a tiny handful and the message will get across. 

It happens to us us at Parkhead. The cops just pick on the nearest person and chuck them out (as I know too well !)

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Of course not, you just need to make an example of a tiny handful and the message will get across. 

It happens to us us at Parkhead. The cops just pick on the nearest person and chuck them out (as I know too well !)

Don’t nick em though.Thats my point. Throwing folk out is a different kettle of fish entirely. 

It might work if they were all getting reported for summons. Something like a mobbing and rioting charge. Remove em, note and confirm details and report them. That’d work

Edited by Jamhammer

8 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Don’t nick em though.Thats my point. Throwing folk out is a different kettle of fish entirely. 

It might work if they were all getting reported for summons. Something like a mobbing and rioting charge. Remove em, note and confirm details and report them. That’d work

Yeah I get there is a difference. 

Nicking one or two still sends out a message as well though. 

hatrickhartley
14 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Irish rugby fans sing that as well don’t they not? There’s no sectarianism in rugby,as far as I know?

crappy balad is not sectarian. its about a wee laddie greetin for his hame . irish rugby fans like a singsong and sing it for no other reason than that. i did once persuade a group of pissed up green bigots i met on a train heading down to galway to get off at athenry . told them you could get a picture of "the fields" next to the train station. they believed me much to the delight of the other passengers on our carriage. utter morons. 

16 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

And they were probably at their very worst in 1987, thr year he signed for them. Stamford Bridge was an absolute shithole back then with some very violent and unpleasant supporters. At around then, they formed a strong empathy with Rangers, who they saw as their Scottish cousins.

Yet it was still better than Glasgow. 

29 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And the problem rolls on...the Sash is ok, Fields of Athenry is ok, taking a UJ or tricolour to a game is ok...

But we all know WHY those songs are sung and those flags flown. It’s to antagonise. 

Nah m8. Ma grumpa fought in the war so ah fly a flag when ever ah want likesy. Learn yur history. KB arseholes.

:verysmug:

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Anything can be sectererian. 

It's all about context. 

Words are only about 30% of communication, the rest is intent, tone, context, body language etc. 

Singing the sash at a Irish roots club is sectererian. 

Likewise, singing fields of athenry back is a means to respond and niggle. 

At the rugby it is sung in a far more friendlier context with relatively no intent to antagonise. 

Likewise, a uj should e OK in general life but waving it in at a football game while belting out the sash at an Irish club is sectererian. 

Hard to prove in court atm, and the defence to sing and wave these songs and flags is obvious, but given the context, tone, reason and intent these songs are sectererian. 

As an example. 

I can call my mate a knob end, he'll laugh and slag me back. 

If I go up to a stranger and shout hey, knob head. It will be a fight. 

Words are the same, but the intent, tone and context, body language have went from banter to aggressiveness. 

The singing and flag waving is the same, everyone knows this but folk on both sides will argue, its OK to wave a flag, I'm Brittsh and proud, my clubs from Ireland so I can sing this song, etc. 

We all know the actual context and meaning - sectererian. 

Until folk and the clubs admit that, the stuff will continue on technicalities. 

Folk on here defend waving the uj and say it has no sectererian meaning, despite only coming out for Celtic and Hibs games. 

Tragic 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

john brownlee
19 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Very good point. I left Scotland in 1981 aged 14, with younger siblings aged 12 and 9. I did, however come to Edinburgh as a student at 18 and still continue to visit every few months. We’re originally from darkest Lanarkshire where the sectarianism issue is still bad. I have a pretty full understanding of Scotland’s embarrassing sectarianism and its effect on football. My brother, 2 years younger has a soft spot for Celtic and thinks I exaggerate and smiles whenever I try to tell him how bad it is and OF fans’ behaviour.  My sister, now 47 only vaguely recalls it and is probably blissfully oblivious to it all. Lucky her.

12 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Absolutely and per my post above, I noted a few clear points they could start with.

Another two.

Complete condemnation of fans sites where sectarian comnents aren't moderated.  

Shut down the Bears Den, which I believe is part of Rangers Media, where the directors are / were Rangers directors. 

Actually if there is a direct link from Bears Den to the club then Dave King's and the club statements mean nothing.

Not sure if players attend Supporters Club PoY events, but if there is any sectarian singing at the events, no representations from Rangees at them for a minimum of say 2 years or until eradicated.

Edited by DETTY29

john brownlee

That is the case with many people from outside Scotland, we have a guest with us at the moment and like all good foreigners he thinks that smellic, to quote him " the best" the parkheid meedia are on par with Gorbals Hitler's proud ambassador, spreading shoit like on a farmers field

18 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Anything can be sectererian. 

It's all about context. 

Words are only about 30% of communication, the rest is intent, tone, context, body language etc. 

Singing the sash at a Irish roots club is sectererian. 

Likewise, singing fields of athenry back is a means to respond and niggle. 

At the rugby it is sung in a far more friendlier context with relatively no intent to antagonise. 

Likewise, a uj should e OK in general life but waving it in at a football game while belting out the sash at an Irish club is sectererian. 

Hard to prove in court atm, and the defence to sing and wave these songs and flags is obvious, but given the context, tone, reason and intent these songs are sectererian. 

As an example. 

I can call my mate a knob end, he'll laugh and slag me back. 

If I go up to a stranger and shout hey, knob head. It will be a fight. 

Words are the same, but the intent, tone and context, body language have went from banter to aggressiveness. 

The singing and flag waving is the same, everyone knows this but folk on both sides will argue, its OK to wave a flag, I'm Brittsh and proud, my clubs from Ireland so I can sing this song, etc. 

We all know the actual context and meaning - sectererian. 

Until folk and the clubs admit that, the stuff will continue on technicalities. 

Folk on here defend waving the uj and say it has no sectererian meaning, despite only coming out for Celtic and Hibs games. 

Tragic 

Me and my laddie always have a laugh at the sad sack that gets up and waves his wee union Jack at the celtic/hibs fans   from section B where I doubt anylon of them can see it. He proudly waves it about for a couple of minutes and then,  after doing his duty for his country and religion, he sits back down. The saddest thing is the guy must be in his 50s

15 hours ago, OTT said:

This is bang on. It may be a societal problem but the clubs could and should do far more to help push it out of the game. Perhaps if they had a vested interest in the elimination of bigotry at football then that might kickstart meaningful change.

If Steve Clarkes comments can help get the ball rolling towards something like as you describe then that can only be a positive. 

Might be interesting to see how many huns turn up at Ibrox when half their song book is wiped out. 

The SFA should stick a man in the DJ booth and whenever Rangers fans start their naughty songs, he plays some Irish folk music at full volume, and whenever Celtic fans start their songs he plays Scottish folk music at full volume. At OF games when either starts up he blasts out some Europop

20 hours ago, wallace_mercer said:

That’s a fair statement from king

wont stop the fans tho 

It is but it's all bollox. The club abhores sectarianism? Yet runs out in an orange away kit 

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Me and my laddie always have a laugh at the sad sack that gets up and waves his wee union Jack at the celtic/hibs fans   from section B where I doubt anylon of them can see it. He proudly waves it about for a couple of minutes and then,  after doing his duty for his country and religion, he sits back down. The saddest thing is the guy must be in his 50s

I bet it confused him when hibs wave that green union jack back, tho! 

I laughed at that last time, both sets of fans waving a uj at each other. 

???

34 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Is that the Shan off-colour one? Total cringe. 

44 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It is but it's all bollox. The club abhores sectarianism? Yet runs out in an orange away kit 

And the difficulty is that that in itself isn't sectarian.

But we all know the connotations.

Biggest for the club is cash.

52 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Is that the Shan off-colour one? Total cringe. 

don't think so but not really interested what colour it's meant to be?. He's just beside where the Manchester Hearts flag is flown

21 minutes ago, XB52 said:

don't think so but not really interested what colour it's meant to be?. He's just beside where the Manchester Hearts flag is flown

Aye I'm sure that's the one :gok: 

A fully grown man ffs :cornette:

Hope he's there today to really noise up the Paisley mob. That'll show them!

17 hours ago, OTT said:

This is bang on. It may be a societal problem but the clubs could and should do far more to help push it out of the game. Perhaps if they had a vested interest in the elimination of bigotry at football then that might kickstart meaningful change.

If Steve Clarkes comments can help get the ball rolling towards something like as you describe then that can only be a positive. 

Might be interesting to see how many huns turn up at Ibrox when half their song book is wiped out. 

add to this if strict liability was introduced the way it is in england i would expect to see an increase in self policing by fans. Understandably just now if a couple of people chant sectarian or racist things very few people will step in due to the potential for confrontation. However if the club was going to get fined/points deduction etc fans would be more likely to tell them to shut it and other fans around would help them. 

22 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Dave King speaks  ................................ but what will he actually do?

Tannoy requests of "Gonnae no sing aboot the pope or fenians, by the way. The taigs dinnae like it" isn't enough.

How many people have you banned from Ibrox in the past year for sectarian acts? I'd guess that it is an extremely low number and possibly a very low round number.

image.png.10f201a34437c782cec6fecf12a82823.png

If I was at Rangers I would pick them off one by one. Stewards or a separate dedicated security team pick out 1 or 2 at a time. And ban them.

Actually when the anti sectarian legislation was in force I thought that is what the Police should have done with the Hearts fans singing sectarian sounds at away games. Pick them out 1 or 2 at a time. 

But Rangers could stamp it out.

Kilmarnock game being at Ibrox was a gift to them. 

Saying "there's too many of them" is rubbish. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Sectarianism is a Scottish problem. 

If Nicola Sturgeon could find a way to abolish Rangers and Celtic it would help. 

It really is quite astonishing that people allow their football club allegiance to dictate their political outlook. 

18 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Aye I'm sure that's the one :gok: 

A fully grown man ffs :cornette:

Hope he's there today to really noise up the Paisley mob. That'll show them!

Im wearing my hearts top today, hope thats ok.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

Sectarianism is a Scottish problem. 

If Nicola Sturgeon could find a way to abolish Rangers and Celtic it would help. 

Sectarianism was created in our country by our neighbours across the border, I wonder why... ?