• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• Bazzas right boot

• Jamhammer

• Maroon Sailor

Bazzas right boot
53 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm sorry, but that sort of statement does nothing to improve the situation.

How about actually doing something to remove those who spout this bile.  Pay for 100 extra police for the next OF game and tell them that we want them to arrest anyone shouting or singing sectarian abuse. Get them to arrest 100 or so, subject them to football banning orders, then see what the reaction is for future games. Repeat for the other arse cheek, Hibs and a select few Hearts away games.

The excuse "we can't adopt strict liability because some fans might buy tickets for the wrong end in order cause trouble" is just that, an excuse to do nothing.

Strict liability is something I would like FOH to take a stand on once they acquire majority ownership. It is not interference in the day to day running of the club, so shouldn't cross any of Ann's red lines. It would be a statement about what sort of club that we want to be in the future. Go on Stuart Wallace, make it happen.

Perpetuating the same platitudes about doing everything we can and that it is a societal problem just doesn't wash any more. Society has already determined that such activities are unacceptable. Just police it properly and it could be eridicated from football grounds. Strict Liability is a means of helping in that task.

Yip, or just ban the support from the  stadium. 

£ talks tho and that is why it won't happen. 

Even, Clarke, although correct  he is is undermined by the board to give them half or even 3/4 of the stadium.

In summary 

We hate the bile you sing, you stink and you wreck the stadium. 

Here, have more than the home support, take as many as you want. 

Complain after you've trousered £100'ks of said fans money. 

It's a cunundrum. 

From a Hearts point of view I'd ban them or give them as little as possible. 

Also, celtic and rangers have such big and wide supports for this very reason so they clubs will do **** all about it. 

They need this. 

They live and breathe hate. Without that they're nothing. 

Horrible *******s. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

I find that levein is correct and it is a problem for Scottish society, targeting football fans alone wouldn't change the problem much.

I know many from both sides of sectarianism who never set foot in a football ground, they have marches in small towns and villages all over Scotland and the proddy side of the tete a tete is the most prevalent.

you cant chuck them out the game as there'll be another bigot along next game. it has to be changed at a society level 1st and foremost 

I agree

However, It is a football problem when in a football stadium, tho. 

If we let said supporters in to our ground then it's not only a football problem, it's our problem. 

Ban the manky horrible *******s from both sides, then let other clubs and society deal with it. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Hairdryer said:

Why not deal with the problem before they arrive at the stadium for example 

supportes buses and social clubs

Like smash them up, set them on fire? 

13 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Even, Clarke, although correct  he is is undermined by the board to give them half or even 3/4 of the stadium.

In summary 

It's a cunundrum. 

Also, celtic and rangers have such big and wide supports for this very reason so they clubs will do **** all about it. 

They need this. 

Horrible *******s. 

This is spot on.

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

How about actually doing something to remove those who spout this bile.  Pay for 100 extra police for the next OF game and tell them that we want them to arrest anyone shouting or singing sectarian abuse. Get them to arrest 100 or so, subject them to football banning orders, then see what the reaction is for future games. Repeat for the other arse cheek, Hibs and a select few Hearts away games.

The excuse "we can't adopt strict liability because some fans might buy tickets for the wrong end in order cause trouble" is just that, an excuse to do nothing.

Strict liability is something I would like FOH to take a stand on once they acquire majority ownership. It is not interference in the day to day running of the club, so shouldn't cross any of Ann's red lines. It would be a statement about what sort of club that we want to be in the future. Go on Stuart Wallace, make it happen.

Perpetuating the same platitudes about doing everything we can and that it is a societal problem just doesn't wash any more. Society has already determined that such activities are unacceptable. Just police it properly and it could be eridicated from football grounds. Strict Liability is a means of helping in that task.

This is one of the big problems football has.

If you behave in the way the OF fans do anywhere else the police would arrest you.

Inside a football ground they do feck all.

If the police won't do the job they are paid to do (and don't forget that clubs pay extra to have them standing around inside the ground) then why should football clubs be expected to sort out a problem that exists in society.

Sexton Hardcastle

The rangers chumps greeting and giving it the ‘but Boyd got absued last week’ as a counter argument is just brutal and the state of the problem.

1690Kev likes this tweet.

The Bookkeeper

With regards actually doing something proactive surely Hearts could be at the forefront of making a stand in a football sense. It has been discussed plenty in the past but until things change we should be giving the Old Firm the absolute bare minimum tickets for games at Tynecastle. Giving them 700 tickets or whatever would see it far easier to monitor and take action against anyone breaking the law and we could threaten no tickets at all if things didn't improve. 

We might take a short term financial hit but I feel if the club explained the stance being taken and asked our own supporters to help fill the empty seats in the Roseburn there would be a positive response. 

32 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

In summary 

It's a cunundrum. 

They need this. 

Horrible *******s. 

Very good post.  I would be happy to pay an extra £50-100 for my season ticket if it meant the Old Filth were only given around 400 tickets when they came to Tynecastle.

Pasquale for King

He’s totally right about this and what he says about refs. Let’s himself down by not condemning his slightly less racist/sectarian boyhood heroes re Kris Boyd and having guys  like this Captain his team now and then.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2015/jul/24/daily-record-sanitises-story-of-player-banned-for-sectarian-tirade

Edited by Pasquale for King

The Bookkeeper
38 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

In summary 

It's a cunundrum. 

They need this. 

Horrible *******s. 

Good post.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s totally right about this and what he says about refs. Let’s himself down by not condemning his slightly less racist/sectarian boyhood heroes re Kris Boyd and having guys  like this Captain his team now and then.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2015/jul/24/daily-record-sanitises-story-of-player-banned-for-sectarian-tirade

Never seen that before. Quite incredible. 

40 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

In summary 

It's a cunundrum. 

They need this. 

Horrible *******s. 

Banning an entire support tar everyone with the same brush and does nothing to fix the problem as those that want to spew out the bile will continue to do so. 

Your point about Killie selling tickets to the OF is also pretty irrelevant since I assume they aren’t selling tickets to people who are banned. 

This is is a society and policing problem and to simply blame football clubs is shortsighted and a easy option to finger point. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Never seen that before. Quite incredible. 

I remember seeing it at the time but as the article shows not much was made of it. A bit like Scott Brown calling the Valencia player a poof last Thursday.

Edited by Pasquale for King

A couple things:

We should have broken away from those two ***** when we had the chance 20 odd years ago.

Clubs need to start gearing themselves such that they are not reliant on the Old Firm pound.

OF fans should be given the minimum % tickets for each of their away games

There needs to be zero tolerance at all grounds. If any team’s away fans come out with sectarian or racist songs their fans are banned from the next away game or more depending upon offence rates.

Any team with home fans that repeatedly offend play in closed doors home games.

I’m with Steve Clarke on being in england. I’m glad my girls have had no experience of this sort of shite in Scotland.

Edited by Jammy T

23 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Banning an entire support tar everyone with the same brush and does nothing to fix the problem as those that want to spew out the bile will continue to do so. 

Your point about Killie selling tickets to the OF is also pretty irrelevant since I assume they aren’t selling tickets to people who are banned. 

This is is a society and policing problem and to simply blame football clubs is shortsighted and a easy option to finger point. 

I do not see much evidence that 'normal' celtic fans do much to stop the more extreme elements of their support.

Do they ever publicly question why the Green Brigade always get prime seats for away games, for instance?

I used to work with an older celtic fan and he said there can be a bit of head-shaking going on at some of their antics but nobody really has the guts to properly have a go. He also defended their right to wave Palestinian flags and other stuff anyway, so he is as much a part of the problem.

I suspect the same applies over at Govan.

And, as a precedent, UEFA banned all English clubs from competing in Europe on the basis of fan behaviour, so i see no issue with us banning away fans.

Rangers and Celtic are breeding grounds for bigotry. Hearts and Hibs have a few bigots that need to be got 

rid of and today our fans have to say no more. I’m sure a few of us Jambos have had run ins with bigots in 

the past but we shouldn’t rest until our club is free of this vile disease.

Clarke is 100% right to complain about these cowards who sing these vile songs. 

Edited by mitch41

N Lincs Jambo
23 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

A couple things:

We should have broken away from those two ***** when we had the chance 20 odd years ago.

Clubs need to start gearing themselves such that they are not reliant on the Old Firm pound.

OF fans should be given the minimum % tickets for each of their away games

There needs to be zero tolerance at all grounds. If any team’s away fans come out with sectarian or racist songs their fans are banned from the next away game or more depending upon offence rates.

Any team with home fans that repeatedly offend play in closed doors home games.

I’m with Steve Clarke on being in england. I’m glad my girls have had no experience of this sort of shite in Scotland.

Great post! We absolutely should have broken away years ago. Unfortunately probably only us, Hibs and Aberdeen have the fan-base to exist and even prosper without them. This and the fact that the arse cheeks would be off without a second thought if they were offered the chance to join the English league.

I’m also in the same boat as you with my girls. Living in England they are aware of the Fenians but only through doing Irish history as part of their A-Level studies, not by calling someone/being called a Fenian bar steward.

16 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I do not see much evidence that 'normal' celtic fans do much to stop the more extreme elements of their support.

Do they ever publicly question why the Green Brigade always get prime seats for away games, for instance?

I used to work with an older celtic fan and he said there can be a bit of head-shaking going on at some of their antics but nobody really has the guts to properly have a go. He also defended their right to wave Palestinian flags and other stuff anyway, so he is as much a part of the problem.

I suspect the same applies over at Govan.

And, as a precedent, UEFA banned all English clubs from competing in Europe on the basis of fan behaviour, so i see no issue with us banning away fans.

We are hardly innocent victims in this we have our own problems to sort. Would you accept all Scottish clubs getting banned from Europe because of OF behaviour ? I wouldn’t but you suggest that sort of wide scale punishment is ok and works. If the police and courts started to deal with those people then they wouldn’t get into football grounds en masse. The clubs would be in a far stronger position to deal with the offenders so those normal people can go to games. 

Im not saying I have the answer, clearly but a big sweeping brush also bans innocent people. 

Bazzas right boot
53 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Ban the entire support. 

Let the clubs of said fans sort it out. 

Once done, let them back in. 

Every crime is a policing and society problem. It's far too easy to say that. 

In summary - 

Circle of influence - stop it or minimise it happening on our ground or in your own ground. 

Giving said fans the bulk of the stadium is the opposite of that. 

Control what you can is the first step. 

Circle of concern - society and police need to deal with the wider issue. That is complicated and long term and involves several parties. 

3 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Ban the entire support. 

In summary - 

Circle of influence - stop it or minimise it happening on our ground or in your own ground. 

Circle of concern - society and police need to deal with the wider issue. That is complicated and long term and involves several parties. 

How do they sort it out if the supporters are banned ? It isn’t easy to say it’s a police matter it’s a fact. Why do we pay such a large police bill every home game if it isn’t there responsibility? 

The banning if innocent supporters is nonsense imo. 

1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

In summary 

It's a cunundrum. 

They need this. 

Horrible *******s. 

according to a killie supporter on another site, Kilmarnock board have agreed to only give the glasgow bigots one stand from now on. A good first step and I really hope we can do our bit by limiting them to half the stand or less from next season

Footballfirst

I keep hearing about this "societal problem", but I don't believe that there is a widespread problem where there is a mass public demonstration of the bile and hatred that is tolerated in football.

Orange Walks could be construed as such a public demonstration, but virtually all of those pass off without incident or abuse directed at others.

I'm sure that there are many racists, bigots, homophobes, misogynists etc., throughout society, but not many feel the need to publicly demonstrate their intolerance, outside of football.  

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, Dazo said:

How do they sort it out if the supporters are banned ? It isn’t easy to say it’s a police matter it’s a fact. Why do we pay such a large police bill every home game if it isn’t there responsibility? 

Just see how they come down on their own support, see if they are pro active. 

If banning is your major point, I concede that is harsh, reduce might be the case with us and in killies case not give them 3/4 of the stadium. 

Edit, seen other response reference reducing tickets. 

Killie acting within their circle of influence. That is the first step before blaming everyone else. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

according to a killie supporter on another site, Kilmarnock board have agreed to only give the glasgow bigots one stand from now on. A good first step and I really hope we can do our bit by limiting them to half the stand or less from next season

Makes sense and as well as the football thing, puts a marker to say we are not happy so we are reducing your allocation. 

Sort it out, if it continues we'll reduce it by more. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I keep hearing about this "societal problem", but I don't believe that there is a widespread problem where there is a mass public demonstration of the bile and hatred that is tolerated in football.

Orange Walks could be construed as such a public demonstration, but virtually all of those pass off without incident or abuse directed at others.

I'm sure that there are many I Iracists, bigots, homophobes, misogynists etc., throughout society, but not many feel the need to publicly demonstrate their intolerance, outside of football.  

100%

Can we not hire the Spanish Police for a couple of home games. They’ll sort these scummy unwashed weegie sectarian bigots in no time at all. 

Edited by Dannie Boy

Footballfirst

Time for an SFA statement  ...... let's get the government to sort our problem.  The last attempt didn't work too well.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-statement-on-unacceptable-conduct/?rid=13929

Thursday 21 February 2019

Ian Maxwell, Chief Executive at the Scottish FA: "The Scottish FA condemns in the strongest possible terms the spate of incidents this season involving unacceptable conduct in Scottish football. This season we have witnessed match officials and players hit by coins, sectarian singing at matches and abusive and threatening behaviour towards match officials, players, managers and coaching staff. This behaviour is completely unacceptable and simply has no place in football, or indeed Scottish society.

"Football has a responsibility to take action. We must do all that we can under our current rules and engage with clubs to seek to eradicate such behaviour.

"This issue, however, is not one that football can solve on its own. To that end, SPFL Chief Executive Neil Doncaster and I recently met with Cabinet Secretary for Justice Humza Yousaf, Minister for Public Health, Sport and Wellbeing Joe Fitzpatrick and Police Scotland Assistant Chief Constable Bernie Higgins to discuss unacceptable conduct in football and how we can work together to address this.

"We will seek further discussions in light of the most recent events to maintain the momentum for change."

2 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

In summary 

It's a cunundrum. 

They need this. 

Horrible *******s. 

Except we have a good few hundred bigots in our support as well. How do we ban them from the stadium? Just ban all of us?

Not an easy one to fix. Levein and Clarke are correct, it is a societal problem here in Scotland. It stares us all in the face on a regular basis. Very little religious bigotry at football in England. 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Can we not hire the Spanish Police for a couple of home games. They’ll sort these scummy unwashed weegie sectarian bigots in no time at all. 

Solution. 

21 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm sure that there are many racists, bigots, homophobes, misogynists etc., throughout society, but not many feel the need to publicly demonstrate their intolerance, outside of football.  

In Scotland football is the place to vent your feelings.  Sadly it’s dominated by two clubs who are seriously religiously bigoted and a number of smaller clubs, us included, who have a section of fans who identify with the beliefs and behaviour. I suspect none of them call anyone ‘f****n b*****s’ at work or in school without being pulled up for it. At football they get away with it. At work other employees will manage/report the culprits, doesn’t happen at football. Not sure why? 

avhudtheteeshirt
26 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Only problem with this is how many buses leave the area for the Ugly Sisters every week?

If they live in and around the area they just walk up and buy tickets for the up coming game!!!

The only way to stop that is to have every supporter registered with the club for attaining tickets.

But some of their friends will buy tickets for them, or they will register themselves for 2 tickets a season!!!!!

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Except we have a good few hundred bigots in our support as well. How do we ban them from the stadium? Just ban all of us?

Not an easy one to fix. Levein and Clarke are correct, it is a societal problem here in Scotland. It stares us all in the face on a regular basis. Very little religious bigotry at football in England. 

We are taking actions, tho. 

Rangers and celtic don't. 

Said above, reduce allocation, see how they police thier fans, no improvement- ban. 

As I said, do what you can to stop or minimise the issue within your control then move on the bigger issues that you can't. 

I could leave all my stuff in the street and wads of cash. 

It gets stolen. Do I blame society and the police or do I think -

what could have I done to  minimise the chances of that? In this case I keep the stuff in the house so it doesn't get stolen at all or stolen so easily. 

I use an extreme example, but the point stands, do what you can to control the issue. 

In this case, killie giving 3/4 of the stadium to these fans is not minimising or controlling the problem, it's making it worse than if you gave them 1 stand. 

Ofc, you can take the behavior, singing and the cash, that is fine.

Just don't then moan about it as you didn't do all you could to minimise it in   the first place. 

Like in my example I'd be a bit silly moaning to the police that all my stuff had been knicked. 

Footballfirst
11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Not sure why? 

Simply because the Clubs and the SFA are unwilling to address the issue within their own patch. It's always someone else's problem.

Strict Liability could make a significant difference. Start with a warning, then progress onto fines, closing sections of a stadium to the offending fans, points deductions, club suspensions.

Edited by Footballfirst

Fly the Saltire
3 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Bigots hate complete strangers because they believe a different or alternative fairytale. 

Racists hate complete strangers because they have differing amounts of pigments in their skin. 

That's the level you're at with these people. How can you change something when the people involved have the intelligence of a square sausage? 

Anyone who goes to Hearts away games knows that, like the SFA, the Police and stewards  can't / won't deal with this and it is now time that strict liability was forced on clubs then they will take it seriously.

The perception is that thins have got worse since  MSPs voted against  the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act .  This was spearheaded by James Kelly who got complaints from  fellow Celtic fans who seemed to think this should only apply to Rangers who to be honest have a far bigger problem with this.

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Simply because the Clubs and the SFA are unwilling to address the issue within their own patch. It's always someone else's problem.

Strict Liability could make a significant difference. Start with a warning, then progress onto fines, closing sections of a stadium to the offending fans, points deductions, club suspensions.

Any fine should be based on compensation to the areas closed and given to the home team (when is Celtic or rangers visiting) 

close a section £100k lose to club fine levied to offending club £100k which is passed on to cover the loss.

watch  how quick  the problem is solved.

Whilst I whole heartedly agree with this comments, am I alone in thinking he's a very odd man? don't think he will last long in Scottish football, strikes me as a bit unhinged

I would suggest deducting points but it'd most likely start with us being hit first,after a few halfwits singing hello hello.The bigot brothers would  circle the wagons and declare war on the SPFL when they received theirs.

The big problem is the lack of any action from the SPFL/SFA-nothing whatsoever.How much damage have they caused in our stadiums the last few years?Seems to be acceptable as "they'll pay for the damage"!

Just wish the rest of us could get our heads together,decide we've all had enough of their pish and start doing something about it.

The football authorities will never start deducting points which tells you everything you need to know about how much they want it eradicated. Why does it take a stock reaction from Rangers fans to have them immediately running to the scottish government for help? A more pathetic organisation you'd be hard to find. 

1 hour ago, lou said:

Whilst I whole heartedly agree with this comments, am I alone in thinking he's a very odd man? don't think he will last long in Scottish football, strikes me as a bit unhinged

that probably sums up how 'normalised' sectarian abuse has become that the recipient of it is deemed unhinged based, I assume, on a passionate reaction. Last night was a throw back to what he remembered/what he left behind.

2 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

that probably sums up how 'normalised' sectarian abuse has become that the recipient of it is deemed unhinged based, I assume, on a passionate reaction. Last night was a throw back to what he remembered/what he left behind.

Eh? Nothing to do with last night, I think he's weird irrespective of religion or last night, my opinion is purely based on every interview I have ever seen, but bash on with the agenda

6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I predict a riot. 

Better plan is strict liability. A closed door game, followed by points deduction or ejection from a cup then denied qualification for Europe would do it pretty quickly. ( No fines though, pointless)

3 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

We are taking actions, tho. 

Rangers and celtic don't. 

Said above, reduce allocation, see how they police thier fans, no improvement- ban. 

As I said, do what you can to stop or minimise the issue within your control then move on the bigger issues that you can't. 

I could leave all my stuff in the street and wads of cash. 

It gets stolen. Do I blame society and the police or do I think -

what could have I done to  minimise the chances of that? In this case I keep the stuff in the house so it doesn't get stolen at all or stolen so easily. 

I use an extreme example, but the point stands, do what you can to control the issue. 

In this case, killie giving 3/4 of the stadium to these fans is not minimising or controlling the problem, it's making it worse than if you gave them 1 stand. 

Ofc, you can take the behavior, singing and the cash, that is fine.

Just don't then moan about it as you didn't do all you could to minimise it in   the first place. 

Like in my example I'd be a bit silly moaning to the police that all my stuff had been knicked. 

Not sure we are taking any action other than email and website threats. 

So presumably all those folk who were greeting about Budge trying to eliminate this sort of behaviour, will not be castigating the club for not acting now? 

5 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Ban the entire support. 

In summary - 

Correct 

5 hours ago, Dazo said:

Incorrect

This happens and ‘society’ will soon start to sort things out...

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

was it particularly bad last night or just standard levels of sectarian abuse like levein got at parkhead earlier this season (probably about a 6/10)

just wondering why he's so raging this time - no arguments with his point but he was absolutely fuming

5-0 last night - think that's 10-1 in Glasgow since his team became a 'threat' to the old firm - a big dose of footballing reality administered last night alongside the other unsavoury stuff

I think Scottish football needs the Leveins and Clarkes who aren't afraid to call out the OF.

Clarke could have, as many managers would, have gone on like, 'I know it's only a minority, but it needs dealt with, however, I know Steve Gerrard is a great bunch of lads and Sevco are a great club and they'll sort it out...'

Instead he let 'em have it. Good stuff.