• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• Bazzas right boot

• Jamhammer

• Maroon Sailor

39 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Meanwhile the compliant media here will totally ignore the problem and the football authorities will stick their fingers in their ears and their heads in the sand while dreaming of a cup final in May where both sets of  idiots  can sing and chant all of this stuff to their hearts content.  Sickening.

Then pile on to the pitch for a giant Canadian barn dance, all while being cheered on at the sides by Doncaster et al.

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

As much as I abhor sectarianism in football, or anywhere, I can’t help wondering if Clarke would have said that if Killie had won? Doesn’t make it any less right or wrong but I bet he’s been called an FB before by Rangers fans. 

Don't disagree Dave but this is exactly the stance the footballing authorities will doubtless take and sweep it under their well worn rug whilst muttering sour grapes etc etc

gorgie rd eh11
4 hours ago, Hairdryer said:

Steve Clark has raised a very good point regarding the sectarian comments

it is going to be interesting if the likes of kris Boyd ,Billy Dodds,and Barry/Derick Ferguson have anything to say or  just put it down to banter

It'll be small minority blah, not just old firm blah, then quickly move on to isn't Morelos brilliant, greatest fans in the world. All the usual old firm a*se kissing stuff that gets you a job as a pundit in Scotland.

At the end of the day the powers that be in the footballing world who cowtow to the two arse cheeks and the mainstream media, who need their supporters will continue to pretty much ignore it. It'll be news for a couple of days and then disappear because that's what they do. Heaven forbid they upset their masters.

This season they, along with "their" referees haven't even tried to hide their obvious desire for a "traditional" two horse race. It's ******* sickening.

Maroon Sailor

This problem has been around for years and yet somehow nobody has come up with a solution to stamp it out once and for all.

We can raise it every now and again, like Steve Clarke last night, but when it all dies down again, it'll still be there.

Celtic and Rangers will call it a problem with society and that these Neanderthals are just using the football clubs as a platform to vent their bile.

It's not a worldwide problem so unlike racism it does not get the same level of support to drive it out of the game.

9 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Great comments, and well done to him for saying them

Agree with this.

This is the usual mixed bag of a thread. The 'astonishing' thing today, and every day, is how rarely this subject gets an airing in the media, especially among the radio and TV punditry, too many of whom know which side their bread is buttered. We don't talk about this. Conspiracy of silence. We must revere the Old Firm at all costs, seems to be the party line.

The other problem we (Hearts) have is that too many of our fans, rather than be astonished by sectarianism, want to join in. People have often speculated whether Clarke would ever consider a move to Tynecastle (I'm not of the view that we have a vacancy, to be clear, always a strong supporter of Levein). I think that's unlikely on all sorts of levels, not least his personal attachment to Kilmarnock, but his commendable distaste for sectarianism makes it less likely. Kilmarnock are fortunate to have him.

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This problem has been around for years and yet somehow nobody has come up with a solution to stamp it out once and for all.

We can raise it every now and again, like Steve Clarke last night, but when it all dies down again, it'll still be there.

Celtic and Rangers will call it a problem with society and that these Neanderthals are just using the football clubs as a platform to vent their bile.

It's not a worldwide problem so unlike racism it does not get the same level of support to drive it out of the game.

The simple answer is when blatant cheating has such a catastrophic effect on a game it should be replayed and the culprit(s) banned for a long period.

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Well said Steve Clarke. I absolutely despise Rangers as a club and their support, bigots to a man. The SFA are a disgrace, bias refs, an incompetent board and a big **** off carpet that they have swept all this shite under for far too long. It’s about time they started making play behind closed doors. 

He’d be welcome in Edinburgh away from all that shite. ?

.... Less of that shite. 

?

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Well said Steve Clarke. I absolutely despise Rangers as a club and their support, bigots to a man. The SFA are a disgrace, bias refs, an incompetent board and a big **** off carpet that they have swept all this shite under for far too long. It’s about time they started making play behind closed doors. 

He’d be welcome in Edinburgh away from all that shite. ?

.... Less of that shite. 

?

Footballfirst

A fairly predictable statement from Rangers, which means they will continue to do nothing.

Chris McLaughlinVerified account @BBCchrismclaug

Rangers statement following Kilmarnock manager Steve Clarke’s comments about sectarian abuse at Ibrox: “Rangers wishes to make it clear unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated at Ibrox. Everything will be done to eradicate this kind of behaviour.”

9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

A fairly predictable statement from Rangers, which means they will continue to do nothing.

Rangers statement following Kilmarnock manager Steve Clarke’s comments about sectarian abuse at Ibrox: “Rangers wishes to make it clear unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated at Ibrox. Everything will be done to eradicate this kind of behaviour.”

Haha haha 

why not say ‘rangers condones anti catholic behaviour’

Blackford Hearts

I see it differently. This statement seems different. This is the first time I am aware of them acknowledging the issue? 

Breaking News...

Rangers say they will do "everything possible" to stamp out the type of abuse aimed at Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke in Wednesday's Scottish Cup tie.

Clarke said he faced "sectarian" abuse from the "dark ages" at Ibrox as his side lost 5-0 in their last-16 replay.

A Rangers statement said the club "wishes to make it clear that unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated at Ibrox.

"Everything possible will be done to eradicate this kind of behaviour

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Its not a rant.

Its perfectly reasoned statement on unacceptable behaviour in the stand and biased refereeing.

I keep repeating it. Up to the other 39 clubs to join with Kilmarnock and support Steve Clarke, on the serious issue of bigotry and the separate issue of institutionalised bias towards 2 clubs, one playing off the others paranoia.

What a ridiculously embarrassing country that has not stood up to this long before now.

Clubs are obliged to take reasonable action to condemn prohibited behaviour.    Holding statements like this pretty much are that action.    Means **** all.   Covers their arse.

1 hour ago, Armageddon said:

One man spoke out 11 years ago

Always one of the few brave enough to just tell it like it is. Scottish football needs more Mr Leveins.

N Lincs Jambo
10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Then toddle off to Ibrox to chant the name of the latest fenian to score for them :facepalm: oh, the hypocrisy 

Why would I want to toddle off to Ibrox LB?? I despise that mob and all they stand for. I can’t see anything in what I posted that would make you think that I am in any way a sympathiser.

24 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

"rangers wish to make it clear unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated at Ibrox, such as playing flute band music, wearing orange football kits for no reason and .....shit, that's not going to work Dave, it makes it look like we encourage it, we need a new statement pronto"

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Then toddle off to Ibrox to chant the name of the latest fenian to score for them :facepalm: oh, the hypocrisy 

Why would I want to toddle off to Ibrox LB?? I despise that mob and all they stand for. I can’t see anything in what I posted that would make you think that I am in any way a sympathiser.

‘I meant that once they post all that bile, they (rangers fans) then toddle off to Ibrox

:thumb:

N Lincs Jambo
Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

‘I meant that once they post all that bile, they (rangers fans) then toddle off to Ibrox

:thumb:

Sorry m8, I misread what you said. Thought you were having a pop at me ?

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

As much as I abhor sectarianism in football, or anywhere, I can’t help wondering if Clarke would have said that if Killie had won? Doesn’t make it any less right or wrong but I bet he’s been called an FB before by Rangers fans. 

Was thinking that Dave after his rant about our lumps at the back after we beat them , he certainly came across as

a bad loser that day.

48 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

:rofl: aye, so it will. Comical. 

luckyBatistuta
22 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Sorry m8, I misread what you said. Thought you were having a pop at me ?

Not at all bud, I could have worded it better :thumb:

9 minutes ago, kila said:

Nothing against CL on this point but this type of nonsense needs to be stopped dead in its tracks. It is not a societal problem because "society" doesn't tolerate it and if you behave that way in the workplace or a social setting you're gonna pay the price for it. It happens at football matches because clubs (the two main culprits) have consistently trotted out this bullshit and the press have refused to call them out for it.  It's long past time for the SFA to bring in strict liability - if their clubs accept it in UEFA competitions then they can do it in their own national competitions. There is no excuse for this behaviour to be tolerated in the 21st Century. 

39 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Its not a rant.

Its perfectly reasoned statement on unacceptable behaviour in the stand and biased refereeing.

I keep repeating it. Up to the other 39 clubs to join with Kilmarnock and support Steve Clarke, on the serious issue of bigotry and the separate issue of institutionalised bias towards 2 clubs, one playing off the others paranoia.

What a ridiculously embarrassing country that has not stood up to this long before now.

The only way it will ever end would be for the reasonable fans on both sides of the divide to recognise their counterparts and jointly take a stand against it. It takes a huge body of pressure to change, or at least suppress, behaviour which those fans will have been exposed to from such a young age as for it to become part of their identity. Even strict liability won't wash with those steeped in this behaviour as they probably get a lot of satisfaction from negative attention. And the clubs, us excepted, do seem to believe issuing a statement condemning this behaviour is enough - whether that's because they don't know how to address it or ultimately because it's tacitly accepted/supported as it is commercially valuable, well call me cynical...

Are there enough decent fans willing to put their heads above the parapet? I doubt it given the searing levels of abuse and threats that are chucked about. Even on here, when Budge tries to eliminate what she deems unacceptable behaviour, we get people giving her a seriously hard time, denigrating her for being female, not understanding football, wanting to turn Tynecastle into a community centre etc etc.

Shooter McGavin

The “whataboutery” is stunning when things like this come up in the media, it’s no wonder we’re still in the dark ages.

I believe both OF clubs aren’t willing to tackle the issue as it’s what gives them their identity. Religous and sectarian hatrid is what enthuses both clubs’ fanbases.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

The only way it will ever end would be for the reasonable fans on both sides of the divide to recognise their counterparts and jointly take a stand against it. It takes a huge body of pressure to change, or at least suppress, behaviour which those fans will have been exposed to from such a young age as for it to become part of their identity. Even strict liability won't wash with those steeped in this behaviour as they probably get a lot of satisfaction from negative attention. And the clubs, us excepted, do seem to believe issuing a statement condemning this behaviour is enough - whether that's because they don't know how to address it or ultimately because it's tacitly accepted/supported as it is commercially valuable, well call me cynical...

Are there enough decent fans willing to put their heads above the parapet? I doubt it given the searing levels of abuse and threats that are chucked about. Even on here, when Budge tries to eliminate what she deems unacceptable behaviour, we get people giving her a seriously hard time, denigrating her for being female, not understanding football, wanting to turn Tynecastle into a community centre etc etc.

Very well put. Incredibly sad. May seem melodramatic but for centuries this country has been tainted by division and self interest.

Though life has become modern and society has become more tolerant, sadly Scotland has an underlying issue that really is centuries old and not looking any further forwards for still too many.

Just saw the full interview from Clarke, he does that thing Sir Craig does when he knows what he's saying is controversial, he finishes the line with an "Eh?"  :)

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

The “whataboutery” is stunning when things like this come up in the media, it’s no wonder we’re still in the dark ages.

I believe both OF clubs aren’t willing to tackle the issue as it’s what gives them their identity. Religous and sectarian hatrid is what enthuses both clubs’ fanbases.  

Just saying this morning to a colleague, the irony of the whataboutery, only serves to underpin the seriousness of the issues.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Just saw the full interview from Clarke, he does that thing Sir Craig does when he knows what he's saying is controversial, he finishes the line with an "Eh?"  :)

Its putting it back to the media, you don't disagree with that......or do you dare to :)

3 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

What the **** is that ? 

Can't believe no one's noticed it before.

elephant-in-room.jpg

"Yeah new blinds, nice eh? Ok, the main reason we're here today is to talk through the refereeing allocation to ensure a helicopter Sunday" 

Forever Hearts
4 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

All this when a kid,`hes was that supporter and this supporter` is most of the time ,a load of utter horse
probably too busy engrossed in playing the game at an elite level to bother about following a club.
Although with an E on the end of his surname(irish version),name Stephen and a brother Paul then theres every chance of being catholic.Thereby toys chucked.

I know his brothers and his sister Susan. Paul was/is a Killie fan and Steve was a Celtic supporter. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Just couldn't acknowledge the "S" word could they. Just like the other cheek. They're either accepting of it or their heads are buried deep in the sands of denial.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

Banning fans for it is the obvious choice, would be made easier if fans were willing to self police, which never happens anyway. The sectarian issue is just a small part of the bigger picture at football and the strange behaviour the game seems to draw from people.

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Just saying this morning to a colleague, the irony of the whataboutery, only serves to underpin the seriousness of the issues.

True, you’ll never hear an old firm fan say “My club has a problem and it should be getting dealt with” it’s always “aye but whatabout that lot” 

Incredibly immature and tedious and the reason why we still have these problems.

I’ll admit, Hearts are not totally immune to this but I believe Ann Budge has done the right thing by publically shaming the idiots within our support and issuing bans. Two things that neither Celtic or Rangers will ever do.

Thought Police

What gets me is that if they were singing “black b******”, the reaction wouldn’t be, “what can you do when it’s a whole stand” or “it’s a society problem”.

This will be in the news until the games at the weekend and then forgotten about.

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

Was thinking that Dave after his rant about our lumps at the back after we beat them , he certainly came across as

a bad loser that day.

Calling Shite on that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
25 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

True, you’ll never hear an old firm fan say “My club has a problem and it should be getting dealt with” it’s always “aye but whatabout that lot” 

Incredibly immature and tedious and the reason why we still have these problems.

I’ll admit, Hearts are not totally immune to this but I believe Ann Budge has done the right thing by publically shaming the idiots within our support and issuing bans. Two things that neither Celtic or Rangers will ever do.

They realise that economically it hurts them

Tragic

Lord Beni of Gorgie
36 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

What the **** is that ? 

Can't believe no one's noticed it before.

elephant-in-room.jpg

That's a rather large walrus

AlphonseCapone

Bigots hate complete strangers because they believe a different or alternative fairytale. 

Racists hate complete strangers because they have differing amounts of pigments in their skin. 

That's the level you're at with these people. How can you change something when the people involved have the intelligence of a square sausage? 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, kila said:

I'm sorry, but that sort of statement does nothing to improve the situation.

How about actually doing something to remove those who spout this bile.  Pay for 100 extra police for the next OF game and tell them that we want them to arrest anyone shouting or singing sectarian abuse. Get them to arrest 100 or so, subject them to football banning orders, then see what the reaction is for future games. Repeat for the other arse cheek, Hibs and a select few Hearts away games.

The excuse "we can't adopt strict liability because some fans might buy tickets for the wrong end in order cause trouble" is just that, an excuse to do nothing.

Strict liability is something I would like FOH to take a stand on once they acquire majority ownership. It is not interference in the day to day running of the club, so shouldn't cross any of Ann's red lines. It would be a statement about what sort of club that we want to be in the future. Go on Stuart Wallace, make it happen.

Perpetuating the same platitudes about doing everything we can and that it is a societal problem just doesn't wash any more. Society has already determined that such activities are unacceptable. Just police it properly and it could be eridicated from football grounds. Strict Liability is a means of helping in that task.

34 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

How about actually doing something to remove those who spout this bile.  Pay for 100 extra police for the next OF game and tell them that we want them to arrest anyone shouting or singing sectarian abuse. Get them to arrest 100 or so, subject them to football banning orders, then see what the reaction is for future games. Repeat for the other arse cheek, Hibs and a select few Hearts away games.

The excuse "we can't adopt strict liability because some fans might buy tickets for the wrong end in order cause trouble" is just that, an excuse to do nothing.

Strict liability is something I would like FOH to take a stand on once they acquire majority ownership. It is not interference in the day to day running of the club, so shouldn't cross any of Ann's red lines. It would be a statement about what sort of club that we want to be in the future. Go on Stuart Wallace, make it happen.

Perpetuating the same platitudes about doing everything we can and that it is a societal problem just doesn't wash any more. Society has already determined that such activities are unacceptable. Just police it properly and it could be eridicated from football grounds. Strict Liability is a means of helping in that task.

Agree with all this, well apart fom the first sentence.

Was that necessary?

36 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Do you actually think the police would agree to undertaking mass arrests on this basis? I don’t. The elephant is in more rooms than just football. 

I find that levein is correct and it is a problem for Scottish society, targeting football fans alone wouldn't change the problem much.

I know many from both sides of sectarianism who never set foot in a football ground, they have marches in small towns and villages all over Scotland and the proddy side of the tete a tete is the most prevalent.

you cant chuck them out the game as there'll be another bigot along next game. it has to be changed at a society level 1st and foremost