Oldies - Name the players

Maroon Sailor

SectionDJambo
17 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The first time I'd ever seen police wading into segregated fans for absolutely no reason (other than REALLY winding Celtic fans up). IIRC Hearts hit the woodwork 3 times in that game - and to this day I detest Provan. 

I'm the same regarding Provan. Can't forget such a blatant display of cheating, to get a fellow professional sent off. He used the past reputation and record of Willie Johnston to get him sent off. 

When you hear him criticise players on Sky Sports for being less than honest, it really has you shouting at the tv.

It's hard to understand how he got that job anyway. No profile in English football, and hardly an expert. Much like his mate, Nicholas, who managed to take a wage from Sky for years, masquerading as some kind of knowledgeable pundit. At least Nicholas actually played for a top English club. He's also in that photo, about to put his tuppenceworth in to make sure Willie got sent off.

It was a fortunate day for Hearts when we tried to sign Provan, but ended up with JC instead. 

Edited by SectionDJambo

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Morgan

• Big Drew

• The White Cockade

• 2 weeks later...
been here before
13 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

A0-A136-A3-CB49-4997-A4-B6-C4-CCAEAC958-
england v Scotland 1977

Front to back:

Bruce Rioch

Alan Rough

Danny McGrain

Gordon McQueen

Kenny Dalglish

Joe Jordan

Willie Donachie

Tom Forsyth

Don Masson

Willie Johnstone

Asa Hartford.

Id struggle to name 3 or 4 Scotland players these days.

Edited by been here before

John Findlay
5 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

A0-A136-A3-CB49-4997-A4-B6-C4-CCAEAC958-
england v Scotland 1977

Wembley. Mc Queen and Dalglish for Scotland. Penalty for England. Trevor Francis won the penalty. He may have taken too.

Scotland. Bruce Rioch, Alan Rough Danny McGrain Gordon McQueen Kenny Dalglish Joe Jordan Willie Donachie Tom Forsyth Don Masson Willie Johnston and Asa Hartford

24 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Wembley. Mc Queen and Dalglish for Scotland. Penalty for England. Trevor Francis won the penalty. He may have taken too.

Scotland. Bruce Rioch, Alan Rough Danny McGrain Gordon McQueen Kenny Dalglish Joe Jordan Willie Donachie Tom Forsyth Don Masson Willie Johnston and Asa Hartford

The England players in shot Watson, Alan Kennedy (Ray) guy at back Greenhof think there were brothers both at Man Utd?

On 20/12/2020 at 10:46, SectionDJambo said:

I'm the same regarding Provan. Can't forget such a blatant display of cheating, to get a fellow professional sent off. He used the past reputation and record of Willie Johnston to get him sent off. 

When you hear him criticise players on Sky Sports for being less than honest, it really has you shouting at the tv.

It's hard to understand how he got that job anyway. No profile in English football, and hardly an expert. Much like his mate, Nicholas, who managed to take a wage from Sky for years, masquerading as some kind of knowledgeable pundit. At least Nicholas actually played for a top English club. He's also in that photo, about to put his tuppenceworth in to make sure Willie got sent off.

It was a fortunate day for Hearts when we tried to sign Provan, but ended up with JC instead. 

In his book "On the Wing" Willie Johnston lays into Provan big time. Johnston admits having a wee slap as he took the throw in, but accuses him of a Marlon Brando impersonation, of acting as if hit by a flame thrower and wonders if he can sleep at night. Johnston's also has a big time complaint against Brian McGinlay, who sent him off for supposedly headbutting! 

I was there, I saw it and I have no doubt that Provan conned the referee. 

John Findlay
9 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

The England players in shot Watson, Alan Kennedy (Ray) guy at back Greenhof think there were brothers both at Man Utd?

I think Keegan and possibly Phil Neal, Ray Kennedy and Ray Clemence all Liverpool played for England. I think Stusrt Pearson of Man Utd too.

SectionDJambo
3 minutes ago, henryheart said:

In his book "On the Wing" Willie Johnston lays into Provan big time. Johnston admits having a wee slap as he took the throw in, but accuses him of a Marlon Brando impersonation, of acting as if hit by a flame thrower and wonders if he can sleep at night. Johnston's also has a big time complaint against Brian McGinlay, who sent him off for supposedly headbutting! 

I was there, I saw it and I have no doubt that Provan conned the referee. 

I think it was the linesman who got Willie sent off, apart from Provan cheating. Willie had to be held back from going after him, Miko style.

On 19/12/2020 at 19:31, NANOJAMBO said:

IIRC, Police waded in batons drawn (don't know why, Jambos were fenced in , there was no fighting I could see, I remember thinking at the time "are they really trying to stop them singing The Sash" ?) The police got a real beating and the rest of the game was a massive frisbee throwing competition of police hats. 

I was thinking about the game today actually and I have no idea how I got to/from the game. And yet I can remember the actual game really well. 

A workmate who was a Celtic fan was at the game and said the noise from the Hearts fans was incredible. 

Was that the game that Peter shields got his leg broken after a tackle from Danny Mcgrain 

2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think it was the linesman who got Willie sent off, apart from Provan cheating. Willie had to be held back from going after him, Miko style.

Yes, you are right. In his book Johnston wrote that McGinlay was watching play and hadn't seen the incident.

jambos are go!
2 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

I was at the game but did not see the see the incident. I don't think the linesman saw it either as he was right in front of me checking out a substitute who was coming on. There was a mighty roar and we all turned round to see Provan lying face down on the turf. Somehow the linesman whilst looking in another direction told the Referee that Johnson had assaulted Provan. I will never believe that.

What I did see was Peter Shields getting away with a horrendous and dangerous tackle on McGrain. McGrain  returned the compliment plus some.

3 hours ago, henryheart said:

In his book "On the Wing" Willie Johnston lays into Provan big time.

Great book name, I wonder what Billy King will name his :whistling:

5 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

Brian and Jimmy Greenhoff.

John Findlay
25 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Brian and Jimmy Greenhoff.

Did one not play at WBA and the other at Stoke City, before both ending up at Man Utd?

16 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Did one not play at WBA and the other at Stoke City, before both ending up at Man Utd?

Jimmy was Stoke, but I think Brian started off at Old Trafford?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Tokyo Drifter
On 19/02/2019 at 09:25, been here before said:

Off topic I know but this training/drill top. If the club are going to keep going down the retro merchandise route then get some of these made pronto!!

20190219_092231.jpg.28f28df62a6ab3c2e1588977cbe58c34.jpg

Anyway apologies for the brief interlude.

That one's Jamie Walker, right?

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Indeed he did, mon ami. Sadly, he passed away at the age of 60. 

Hope you are both well, by the way.

Thanks, yes we are.

Our wee town started the vaccinations this week, we are due to get ours around March.

Trust you are both well, too?

14 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

EFBA1171-5165-417-E-ACDB-BB3-F8-A8-D16-D

26-C06307-EE71-4363-BCCA-BA6-CC83-A1504.

Top pic I'm going with Wardhaugh, Young and Murray? Turnbull for Hibs

Bellow- Marshall, Polland? and Wallace. guessing League Cup Final v Killie at Hampden?

On 05/01/2021 at 16:56, been here before said:

Front to back:

Bruce Rioch

Alan Rough

Danny McGrain

Gordon McQueen

Kenny Dalglish

Joe Jordan

Willie Donachie

Tom Forsyth

Don Masson

Willie Johnstone

Asa Hartford.

Id struggle to name 3 or 4 Scotland players these days.

Name the player in that list who grew up supporting Hearts.?

John Findlay
10 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Name the player in that list who grew up supporting Hearts.?

Danny McGrain?

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

^^^^JTJs answer ^^^^

Was in the same Boys Brigade team as my uncle Robert was Asa.

10 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

F572-D096-6-FC0-4-E39-BC22-0-EE1-CC97-CB

Bremner, Harvey, Jardine, Mcgrain, Lorimer, Jordan, Hay, Law, Holton, Blackley ....What a team.

Edited by cb1874

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

Bremner, Harvey, Jardine, Mcgrain, Lorimer, Jordan, Hay, Law, Holton, Blackley ....What a team.

That will be 6ft 5 centre back John Blackley?

16 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

That will be 6ft 5 centre back John Blackley?

No that would be Jim Holton 6'2"...Blackley's on the end, google says he was 5'10"

John Findlay
Just now, cb1874 said:

No that would be Jim Holton 6'2"...Blackley's on the end, google says he was 5'10"

I was being a wee bit mischevious with all those that seem to believe that you have to be at least 6ft+ to play as a centre back in Scotland.

26 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

Who is missing?

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

I was being a wee bit mischevious with all those that seem to believe that you have to be at least 6ft+ to play as a centre back in Scotland.

Ah ok...The old "he needs to fill out a bit".

1 minute ago, Angel eyes said:

Who is missing?

There's only 10 in the photo...Dalglish??  is either hidden or still in the changing room lacing his boots

3 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

There's only 10 in the photo...Dalglish??  is either hidden or still in the changing room lacing his boots

Before my time and possibly not as clued up but Law, Jordan & Dalglish?

8 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

Before my time and possibly not as clued up but Law, Jordan & Dalglish?

Found this...apparently a 5-4-1 formation...almost Levein like.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/scotland-v-zaire-14-june-1974-232868/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_2#Zaire_vs_Scotland

Edited by cb1874

10 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

I dare say Ormond fancied our chances of scoring a barrel load...didn't quite work out that way and goal difference cost us wbecause Yugoslavia banged in 9 past Zaire.

Edited by cb1874

Gorgie Boot boy

Joe Jordan scored in the game, didn't score a barrel load of goals for a CF. Played for some cracking sides though, another Hearts connection in Italy.

3 hours ago, cb1874 said:

That team selection was a total disgrace!! One player no matter how great he had been in his career should never have played because he was passed it!

So who should have played in the game? The one and only DONALD FORD 💜💜💜!

Maroon Sailor

I dare say Ormond fancied our chances of scoring a barrel load...didn't quite work out that way and goal difference cost us wbecause Yugoslavia banged in 9 past Zaire.

Brazil beating Zaire 3-0 with a 79th minute 3rd put the lid on the coffin

🎵  6' 2", eyes of blue, big Jim Holton's after you! 

Na na na na,

Na na na

Na na!  🎵

Hectormasson
4 hours ago, cb1874 said:

Because Zaire went on strike ? Were told that they weren't getting any of the stuff they were promised   for qualifying etc,

8 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Brazil beating Zaire 3-0 with a 79th minute 3rd put the lid on the coffin

A howling bit of goalkeeping too for the 3rd☹️

8 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

That team selection was a total disgrace!! One player no matter how great he had been in his career should never have played because he was passed it!

Can't remember if it was this thread or another. But I posted a couple of weeks back.

Tommy Hutchison was the only sub used, twice coming on for Dalglish against Zaire and Yugoslavia.

16 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

If you ever have the pleasure of meeting Denis Law, don't mention that - I did and he went off on one. 

Maroon Sailor
38 minutes ago, Wilson said:

If you ever have the pleasure of meeting Denis Law, don't mention that - I did and he went off on one. 

The Lawman seemed to get upset about a few things 

His back heel goal at Old Trafford in his last ever domestic competitive match.

Unable to see the funny side of his Only an Excuse send up