Oldies - Name the players

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Two actually seem to be certain it is Colin Stein. jonnothejambo and John Findlay. I have no reason to doubt them/ I just thought it looked very like Denis Law.

The hair was the bit that had me doubting it was Colin Stein as well - but this photo now has me convinced it's him

20220103_142731.jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Morgan

• Big Drew

• The White Cockade

John Findlay
43 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

👍 Cheers

Just couldn't see Colin Stein there - still can't 🤣

Strange phot so that's my excuse

It's a photo from the SFA annual for that year. The SFA used to produce an annual every year, and in fairness to them it covered all of professional football in Scotland very well.

6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The hair was the bit that had me doubting it was Colin Stein as well - but this photo now has me convinced it's him

20220103_142731.jpg

Looks like a familair pose.

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

20220103_151341.jpg

Jimmy Johnstone English man might be Roy McFarland. Hampden Park 1974. 2-0 for Scotland. Before heading to West Germany for the 1974 World Cup.

Maroon Sailor
11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Jimmy Johnstone English man might be Roy McFarland. Hampden Park 1974. 2-0 for Scotland. Before heading to West Germany for the 1974 World Cup.

Not McFarland

This was the England team that day

Could be Mike Pejic - he had a bit of a flat nose

20220103_153150.jpg

Edited by Maroon Sailor

John Findlay
18 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not McFarland

This was the England team that day

Could be Mike Pejic - he had a bit of a flat nose

20220103_153150.jpg

Pejic was going to be my other choice.

I went with the wrong one.......again.

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I don't know but it's not Colin Stein

Looking at it again it has to be Law

It is Colin Stein. I was at the game

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

It is Colin Stein. I was at the game

As discussed further down the thread

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

As discussed further down the thread

Sorry missed that.

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

👍 Cheers

Just couldn't see Colin Stein there - still can't 🤣

Strange phot so that's my excuse

same as you.

all I can see is Denis Law☹️

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

It's Colin Stein, the nose gives him away, as it is much wider than the Lawman's.

Colin Stein was the first £100,000 transfer between Scottish clubs when he moved from Hibs to Rangers in 1969.

It made the auld joke. There are three Steins in Glasgow. Jock Stein, Colin Stein, and Frankenstein.

😄 Thats right John. I recall an old comedian named Lex McLean (Rangers man) calling Colin Stein, Jock Stein and Frankenstein, the good,the bad and the ugly!!

23 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

64-CA92-C5-89-C1-4-F3-B-AE7-D-C157-D9-F3

West Germany 3 Scotland 2 ??

Pretty sure that was the game the Tommy Gemmill was sent off for kicking Halket up the arse!

Edited by Thomaso

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Another angle to the Labone/Stein pic. Definition of "upended", I'd say

10th May 1969. England centre half Brian Labone can do nothing to stop  Scotland's Colin Stein making a dr… | England football team, Retro  football, England football

Not surprised he played for Hibs

maroonsgotop
2 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Another angle to the Labone/Stein pic. Definition of "upended", I'd say

10th May 1969. England centre half Brian Labone can do nothing to stop  Scotland's Colin Stein making a dr… | England football team, Retro  football, England football

I was only only 15 and was right behind the goal proudly wearing my Hearts scarf in honour of Cruickie. Defo penalty. If we'd scored we would have won again against the reigning World Champions. 

SectionDJambo
5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

West Germany 3 Scotland 2 ??

Pretty sure that was the game the Tommy Gemmill was sent off for kicking Halket up the arse!

Another case of glorious failure by Scotland against the team who would be outstanding in Mexico in 1970.
The West German’s semi final against Italy must still be one of the outstanding matches in World Cup history. Made all the better for us viewing a World Cup in colour for the first time and being up until the wee hours to watch it.

A fantastic tournament.

Your predictive text has bitten you there. It can be a nuisance.

Helmut Haller the player on the end of Tommy Gemmell’s boot. A feat that Gemmell would repeat in one of Celtic’s games against South American opposition for the world club championship.

23 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Another case of glorious failure by Scotland against the team who would be outstanding in Mexico in 1970.
The West German’s semi final against Italy must still be one of the outstanding matches in World Cup history. Made all the better for us viewing a World Cup in colour for the first time and being up until the wee hours to watch it.

A fantastic tournament.

Helmut Haller the player on the end of Tommy Gemmell’s boot. A feat that Gemmell would repeat in one of Celtic’s games against South American opposition for the world club championship.

Just noticed “Halket” instead of “Halket”! 🙈

1 hour ago, maroonsgotop said:

I was only only 15 and was right behind the goal proudly wearing my Hearts scarf in honour of Cruickie. Defo penalty. If we'd scored we would have won again against the reigning World Champions. 

2EBC478C-8179-496C-8364-6CC6CE8E9D92.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Just noticed “Halket” instead of “Halket”! 🙈

FFS! 🙄

maroonsgotop
7 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

👍 great pic of Cruickie. 137,000 officially there that day, 134,000 official tickets plus 3,000 others who got in by various other means so probably an even higher attendance due to various other scams 

Maroon Sailor
8 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

👍 great pic of Cruickie. 137,000 officially there that day, 134,000 official tickets plus 3,000 others who got in by various other means so probably an even higher attendance due to various other scams 

Looks like the ref ate all the pies

13 hours ago, Thomaso said:

I wish Scotland would go back to this strip - pure class!

14 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

A fantastic tournament.

A colour TV in 1970! You were one of the very lucky ones. I remember enviously saying to a friend who had one that I would watch anything on a colour TV; he rightly said I wouldn't but in those days the thought of colour TV was thrilling.

We eventually got one in 1973, just in time to see Scotland lose 1-0 to Brazil at Hampden, then Hearts in their brown shirts (remember the colour was terrible) in some cracking early 73-74 Sportscene highlights.

I agree with you on the 1970 World Cup. It was the most exotic, remote and thrilling of tournaments at a time when it was the once in every four years opportunity to see the fantastic South Americans.