Oldies - Name the players

Maroon Sailor

Not all that long ago but this guy popped into my head for some reason. 😆 

He was never a favourite on here at the time but you had to admire his aggression and ability to kick people.

I remember people describing him as more of a nightclub bouncer than a footballer. 😂

Screenshot_20210117-155146_Chrome.jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Morgan

• Big Drew

• The White Cockade

46 minutes ago, been here before said:

Totally different photo. The bottom one has Denis Law and Jim Baxter in it for a start.

Hamilton caldow brown creams McNeil Baxter   scott white st john law wilson

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Totally different photo. The bottom one has Denis Law and Jim Baxter in it for a start.

I know, that's why I posted it.

Nearly posted the names until I seen the two you said. Then I realised it wasn't the same.

been here before
54 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

When pitches were never called off:lol:

IMG_20210117_110514.jpg

As an aside this was on the Big Match Revsited yeaterday. Derby v Stoke from March 1975. Now thats a pitch....

39 minutes ago, been here before said:

As an aside this was on the Big Match Revsited yeaterday. Derby v Stoke from March 1975. Now thats a pitch....

:lol:The Baseball Ground was much worse than rest. 

BBC did a piece last Saturday on Colin Bell, showed him scoring on a frozen Maine Road, nostalgia.

Just typing this made me think, I'm sure Maine Road could have been the first with under-soil heating.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

BBC did a piece last Saturday on Colin Bell, showed him scoring on a frozen Maine Road, nostalgia.

Just typing this made me think, I'm sure Maine Road could have been the first with under-soil heating.

Maine Road was a mud bath as well

20210117_125427.jpg.b847c703985f15b66769066539ab9be7.jpg

Even Highbury didn't escape it

20210117_125439.jpg.7de9b72dd9cb72bf727c0724aa6b1ad9.jpg

15 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Bobby Clark on the right?

Jim Brogan and Frank McLintock.

Would have never got Brogan, should have got McLintock, like you I got Clark.

20 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Maine Road was a mud bath as well

20210117_125427.jpg.b847c703985f15b66769066539ab9be7.jpg

Even Highbury didn't escape it

20210117_125439.jpg.7de9b72dd9cb72bf727c0724aa6b1ad9.jpg

Jimmy Greaves for West Ham in the top pic. Frank Lampard senior for West Ham in the bottom pic.

Maroon Sailor
32 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Jimmy Greaves for West Ham in the top pic. Frank Lampard senior for West Ham in the bottom pic.

Mike Doyle (4)

Think that's Alan Ball and Brian Kidd the Arsenal players

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Mike Doyle (4)

Think that's Alan Ball and Brian Kidd the Arsenal players

Alan Ball, I think the one with the perm maybe Liam Brady of all players, as he had a perm when first making the Arsenal team.

14 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Seen on Facebook and thought it was the same photo. St John & McNeill in same spots.

IMG_20210117_063138.jpg

Pat Crerand next to Billy McNeill.  Davie Wilson next to Law ?

A Shoreditch Heart
8 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

yeah, I watched that yesterday morning too and it was great - proper football 🙂 🙂

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

32-F3-D4-EB-D569-4563-A1-B6-7-C6-D340539

Eric Caldow and Johnny Haynes. 
Johnny Haynes was a regular spectator at Tynecastle when he came to live in Edinburgh.

I remember Eric Caldow broke his leg, playing for Scotland against England, at Wembley in the early 60s.

17 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Eric Caldow and Johnny Haynes. 
Johnny Haynes was a regular spectator at Tynecastle when he came to live in Edinburgh.

I remember Eric Caldow broke his leg, playing for Scotland against England, at Wembley in the early 60s.

He broke his leg in a 1-2 win for Scotland. Both goals from Jim Baxter, one a penalty. Brian Labone(I think) was badly injured for England too and hobbled through the match. 

The commentator, I think Arthur Montford saying its 10 and a half v 10. Days before substitutes. 

Dave Mackay also smacked a screamer off the crossbar. I think the year was 1963. I think the picture maybe the teams coming out the Hampden tunnel for either the 62 or 64 game.

On 12/01/2021 at 06:15, Tommy Brown said:

I'm terrible at these.

Mackay and Bowman.

Other than that McInally, Nevin, McStay, Gunn

Brian Rice other side of McStay?

A Shoreditch Heart
16 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

5827-B86-B-323-B-4-E40-9-AF5-FA220-B6-CB

wow - I've never seen this shot before. I remember he came on as a substitute in a friendly vs Germany prior to the '74 World Cup, but didn't realise he ever played at Hampden for Scotland.

2 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

wow - I've never seen this shot before. I remember he came on as a substitute in a friendly vs Germany prior to the '74 World Cup, but didn't realise he ever played at Hampden for Scotland.

Played against Wales at Hampden if memory serves me correct, and I think he hit the post in that game too. To

Younger viewers it is the one and only Donald Ford.

Edited by John Findlay

A Shoreditch Heart
9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Played against Wales at Hampden if memory serves me correct, and I think he hit the post in that game too. To

thanks John - I don't remember the Wales game tbh, but I'm pretty sure he hit the post against West Germany when he came on in the friendly

pre '74 WC game

2 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

thanks John - I don't remember the Wales game tbh, but I'm pretty sure he hit the post against West Germany when he came on in the friendly

pre '74 WC game

No worries, maybe he hit the post in both games. 

41 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

He must have started one or tother match?

3 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

I think he started one and was a sub in the other.

A Shoreditch Heart
3 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

dunno know really, but he never got on the pitch at all in any of the 3 games in Germany WC that year 😞

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

That's what I remember. I was pretty miffed when he was left out of the team to play England the following Saturday. I also remember him coming on as a sub away to Czechoslovakia in the final World Cup qualifier. The game was live on TV and he nearly snatched an equaliser with a brilliant shot at an angle when bursting into the penalty box. 

1 hour ago, Angel eyes said:

B20-F2885-1-DA9-4-DF7-932-C-578-B24825-F

From right to left, I think it's Shevlane, Barry, Rutherford, Cumming, Murphy, Polland, Anderson, ? ... and then I can't make out the faces. Happy to be corrected.  

4 hours ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

dunno know really, but he never got on the pitch at all in any of the 3 games in Germany WC that year 😞

You can rest assured that if he had played for either of the Glasgow teams, he would have.

5 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

5827-B86-B-323-B-4-E40-9-AF5-FA220-B6-CB

Yikes, Angel!

Brilliant picture you’ve found there.  👍

Never seen that one before, plus I’ve never seen the immaculate Mr Ford with a single hair out of place either.

SectionDJambo
18 hours ago, Morgan said:

You can rest assured that if he had played for either of the Glasgow teams, he would have.

Similar to John Robertson not going in 1986. I think he was top scorer, or very close, in the 85/86 season in Scotland but didn’t get the chance. 
The clamour was on to give Denis Law a last hurrah, given he had not played in a World Cup finals. Law was unlucky not to go to the finals in 1962, with a very talented Scotland team. They lost a playoff to Czechoslovakia, who went all the way to the final.

Donald Ford had a great understanding with both Jim Townsend and Tommy Murray in making runs and receiving passes. Unfortunately for him, he also played in some poor Hearts teams which must have frustrated him. I think he was only ever booked once. That referee was left in no doubt about what the Hearts fans’ opinion of it was.

Ally Alexander
5 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Similar to John Robertson not going in 1986. I think he was top scorer, or very close, in the 85/86 season in Scotland but didn’t get the chance. 
The clamour was on to give Denis Law a last hurrah, given he had not played in a World Cup finals. Law was unlucky not to go to the finals in 1962, with a very talented Scotland team. They lost a playoff to Czechoslovakia, who went all the way to the final.

Donald Ford had a great understanding with both Jim Townsend and Tommy Murray in making runs and receiving passes. Unfortunately for him, he also played in some poor Hearts teams which must have frustrated him. I think he was only ever booked once. That referee was left in no doubt about what the Hearts fans’ opinion of it was.

Law was playing in Italy at the time and wasn't released for the play-off.

SectionDJambo
Just now, Ally Alexander said:

Law was playing in Italy at the time and wasn't released for the play-off.

A pity. Scotland could have made an impression had they qualified and Law could have made a difference in that play off game.

On 20/01/2021 at 17:27, A Shoreditch Heart said:

He headed a ball back across goal for Dalglish?? to head home. Think maybe the first goal. In front of the West terrace.

21 hours ago, Morgan said:

Didn't Derek Johnstone score something like 40 goals and never kicked a ball in Argentina '78?

4 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Was that booking not overturned?

SectionDJambo
44 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

I really can’t remember. Can’t remember who is was we were playing either. Just the outrage that Donald was losing his unblemished record for very little. 
It reminds me of how much more vocally insulting we were, back then, to referees, as compared to now. 

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, JDK2020 said:

Didn't Derek Johnstone score something like 40 goals and never kicked a ball in Argentina '78?

I think you are correct. Scotland had been pretty good up to qualifying. Maybe Ally McLeod didn’t want to change a winning team, although the team did show signs of decline just before the tournament.

We did have Joe Jordan and Kenny Dalglish up front. Not an easy duo to displace from the team.

haveyouheard1874
1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

I think you are correct. Scotland had been pretty good up to qualifying. Maybe Ally McLeod didn’t want to change a winning team, although the team did show signs of decline just before the tournament.

We did have Joe Jordan and Kenny Dalglish up front. Not an easy duo to displace from the team.

Am sure we never took Andy Gray to the WC yet if i remember correctly he was young Player of the yr and Player of the year   which was unheard of at the time,, I think 

57 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Yes, Donald had the ball and the ref motioned to throw it over - which he did. The ref took umbrage with the weight of the throw and booked him.  They were about 15 yards apart at the time. The SFA said it was a "misunderstanding" (I think) when they rescinded it.

46 minutes ago, JTJ said:

Yes, Donald had the ball and the ref motioned to throw it over - which he did. The ref took umbrage with the weight of the throw and booked him.  They were about 15 yards apart at the time. The SFA said it was a "misunderstanding" (I think) when they rescinded it.

I think it was against Clyde at Tynecastle; very foggy, and Donald finished the game in goals. I think.

jambos are go!
48 minutes ago, JTJ said:

Spot on!

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, JTJ said:

I remember that now. It was ridiculous.

No wonder the referee was the subject of major abuse for the rest of the game.