How long has Heart of Midlothian been going

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

You'd think the media would get our name right

According to SKY tonight it was Motherwell 2-1 Hearth of Midlothian

This on the back of Jane Lewis calling us Hearts of Midlothian at the cup draw on Monday

The greatest name in football and they still can't get it right

I've corrected a few English Oppo's of mine in the past but the media should have no excuse. 

46 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

This on the back of Jane Lewis calling us Hearts of Midlothian at the cup draw on Monday

I've corrected a few English Oppo's of mine in the past but the media should have no excuse. 

free advertising for the company in Edinburgh specializing in fireplaces.

will-i-am-a-jambo
4 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

Petty I know but I get irked when hibs are referred to as Hibernian and we as hearts. 

Could be wrong but you can thank Chris Robinson for that. I'm pretty sure he rebranded Heart of Midlothian to Hearts although our full name is given in some situations and not others. For the record it irks me too!

William H. Bonney
2 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Could be wrong but you can thank Chris Robinson for that. I'm pretty sure he rebranded Heart of Midlothian to Hearts although our full name is given in some situations and not others. For the record it irks me too!

That rings a bell. 

5 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

It really rips my knitting that the official website is called heartsfc.

will-i-am-a-jambo
4 minutes ago, Dino Velvet said:

That rings a bell. 

Yep that idiot has a lot to answer for. How he still gets into Tynecastle is beyond me but that is a debate for another thread.

will-i-am-a-jambo
2 minutes ago, superjack said:

It really rips my knitting that the official website is called heartsfc.

Agreed, perhaps something could be done to change the branding in future when FOH take over if people wish it to be changed  back to Heart of Midlothian?

Maroon Sailor

The one with SKY today,  just put us down as Hearts for the result on that thing that goes along the bottom of the screen.

Rather that than Hearth of Midlothian !

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Hearts of Midlothian is a really annoying one.

It's the most obvious one people make - especially the English who think we are Scotch people.

The media shouldn't be making that mistake though

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's the most obvious one people make - especially the English who think we are Scotch people.

The media shouldn't be making that mistake though

Yep, Scotch is particularly annoying too.

Francis Albert

Hearts has always been a Hearts "brand" but is now used even more widely than in cpr's day and in semi -official contexts eg on the front of the match programme where I think even in cpr's day the match was"Heart of Midlothian vs so and so". No problem with Hearts being used in everyday contexts, as we all do, but for things like the cover of the programme and web site address and any press release or formal communication we should preserve the full name.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I liked it when our socks had HOMFC on them.

Just wrong, these weird jambos who call us HOMFC on social media.

Never have been and never will be..

Always HMFC

33 minutes ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Derek Rae would often refer to us as Heart of Midlothian. Great commentator, shame he's not with BT anymore. 

David Begg was the same. He'd call us by our "Sunday name" at least once during a commentary and that was good enough. 

The English, also, still tend to say Heart of Midlothian when reading the FT results but David Currie, and others in Scotland, don't. 

Peasants. 

5 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Petty I know but I get irked when hibs are referred to as Hibernian and we as hearts. 

Richard Gordon almost always calls them Hibernian. 

It shouldn't irritate me, a mature, sensible 50 year old bloke, but it f@%£ing does. :lol:

4 hours ago, Tott said:

Just wrong, these weird jambos who call us HOMFC on social media.

Never have been and never will be..

Always HMFC

I know. I was being sarcastic, poorly.

12 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I noticed that as well. It isnt a difficult name to get right.

A separate issue, but the FoH really should be the FH.

As 'of' is left out of the HMFC acronym, it should have been treated similarly in the FH acronym. 

2 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

A separate issue, but the FoH really should be the FH.

As 'of' is left out of the HMFC acronym, it should have been treated similarly in the FH acronym. 

Call it the foundation towards hearts. The acronym would be far better then.

16 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I've heard dozens of English colleagues call us that. However the media doesn't have an excuse for such a shocking mistake. 

16 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I think it was more she was just going to say Hearts, but then realised she should say the full name and couldn't stop the s on Hearts being pronounced. 

Maroon Sailor
18 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

I think it was more she was just going to say Hearts, but then realised she should say the full name and couldn't stop the s on Hearts being pronounced. 

I actually think that was the case. She, along with a lot of Scottish reporters are so used to saying Hearts so when it comes to anything official probably find it awkward to use the club's full name.

Airdrie would be another example

Morton is another. That has consequences on a cup draw as they are officially entered as Greenock Morton

Edited by Maroon Sailor

16 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Did he not change our crest or at least try to around the same time?  Have vague memories of it being an absolute monstrosity.

Edited by Randy Marsh

You don't have to be dumb to work in the media, but it helps!

Young, potential journalists are groomed by the Uglies and the so-called governing bodies until they are so brainwashed they couldn't tell the stink of broken wind against the sweet smell of a rose.

4 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Did he not change our crest or at least try to around the same time?  Have vague memories of it being an absolute monstrosity.

I have recollections of that too.

Bazzas right boot

Red Bull Hearts will do me fine as we pocket £5m sponsorship money. 

C'mon stump up ya *******s. 

Hearts Of Midlothian is a shocker. 

Makes me want to set the person fire. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
9 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Yeah l think you might be correct there. I seem to have vague recollections of that too!