Hurry up the new BBC Scotland channel.

ri Alban

Maroon Sailor

I was only kidding. I watched the game and I'm glad that league is being shown on TV.

If you look at the matches shown on TV from England recently it actually was box office.

Man U 0-0 Liverpool

Chelsea 0-0 Man City

Everton 0-0 Liverpool

Sheffield Wed 0-0 Sheffield Utd

Edited by Maroon Sailor

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• frankblack

• Maroon Sailor

• Салатные палочки

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I was only kidding. I watched the game and I'm glad that league is being shown on TV.

If you look at the matches shown on TV from England recently it actually was box office.

Man U 0-0 Liverpool

Chelsea 0-0 Man City

Everton 0-0 Liverpool

Sheffield Wed 0-0 Sheffield Utd

You make a decent point. For all the great things about the English game, the one and only thing I’d snap their hand off for...is their marketing department!

16 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

preconditioned by who?

Dunno mate, but it’s evident wherever you look. Must be a sad mindset to have, particularly when you don’t even recognise you’ve got it. To be a Scot and to have the default position of ‘everything Scottish is cringey as ****’ is mad imo. Scotland’s a brilliant country, and we should celebrate that fact proudly ??

4 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Dunno mate, but it’s evident wherever you look. Must be a sad mindset to have, particularly when you don’t even recognise you’ve got it. To be a Scot and to have the default position of ‘everything Scottish is cringey as ****’ is mad imo. Scotland’s a brilliant country, and we should celebrate that fact proudly ??

One thing about being Scottish is that if something is shite we aren't afraid to say so.  This applies to the new channel.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

One thing about being Scottish is that if something is shite we aren't afraid to say so.  This applies to the new channel.

After what...a week? Ach well, we certainly gave it a chance though eh? Beniusis got longer ffs. 

27 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

After what...a week? Ach well, we certainly gave it a chance though eh? Beniusis got longer ffs. 

Its actually about 3 weeks.

Watching The Nine on monday was torture.  Once the draw was done I went back to BBC1. ?

10 hours ago, frankblack said:

Its actually about 3 weeks.

Watching The Nine on monday was torture.  Once the draw was done I went back to BBC1. ?

Watched The Nine the other night. Thought it was quite good. Was there one thing in particular that made it ‘torture’ for you, compared to other news/current affair shows? They actually had a decent debate on independence the night I watched, I found it a quite mature civilised discussion, which was a breath of fresh air compared to the output churned out by BBC1 ??

1 minute ago, Mr Sifter said:

Watched The Nine the other night. Thought it was quite good. Was there one thing in particular that made it ‘torture’ for you, compared to other news/current affair shows? They actually had a decent debate on independence the night I watched, I found it a quite mature civilised discussion, which was a breath of fresh air compared to the output churned out by BBC1 ??

The output "churned out" by the BBC on its prime channels is infinitely superior bar River City and Eastenders.  Hopefully they move River City over to this channel if they haven't already so I don't stumble upon it.

I give this channel a year before it gets pulled.

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

The output "churned out" by the BBC on its prime channels is infinitely superior bar River City and Eastenders.  Hopefully they move River City over to this channel if they haven't already so I don't stumble upon it.

I meant regarding the independence debate, sorry, maybe I could’ve made that clearer?? 

Still not sure how anyone could describe the news output as ‘torture’ though. Was it production values? The content? 

9 hours ago, frankblack said:

Do u live in Scotland?

You could give BBC Scotland 400 billion pounds to produce quality television and they would still fail to deliver anything apart from tinpot amateurish Weegie shite.

11 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

You could give BBC Scotland 400 billion pounds to produce quality television and they would still fail to deliver anything apart from tinpot amateurish Weegie shite.

As o/apposed to what? Pretentious shite from Londinburgh.

Edited by ri Alban

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Lodinburgh 

I like the sound of that !

9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Lodinburgh 

I like the sound of that !

:Cockeyed:  ?

I'd say its been more hit than miss so far. 

Showing games from the Championship, Sportscene being on at a fairly normal time (albeit still on a Sunday) and the show with the guys from The Terrace are all definite positives. 

The Nine is promising, having a genuinely fantastic journalist in Martin Guiesler presenting certainly helps, and will only get better with time as they figure out what works and what doesn't. Haven't caught Debate Night yet but I've heard good things. 

I've also enjoyed a couple of the documentary programs I've seen - the Asian wedding series and, in particular, the independence referendum one. 

Light entertainment and comedy seem to be its failing at the moment - the variety show with Ian Stirling on opening night and Test Drive with Grado, both chronic - but it's still very early days and I can see it being a good platform for new talent being showcased in the future. 

OmiyaHearts

The Inside Central Station programme has been excellent. I've been using that station since my first day I started work and have always been fond of the building and the staff. A lot of characters there and it's much more than just a train station to many locals. Great coverage, plus my flat made a wee appearance in one of the shots.

I've enjoyed the football coverage as well, so it's been a decent watch.

Governor Tarkin
19 hours ago, Marvin said:

So as an exile, what is the overall concensus on the BBC Glasgow channel?

I quite like it.

It's good they're showing First Division fitbaw on a Friday. Hopefully they fork out for Premier Division games for next season. 

SwindonJambo
On 13/03/2019 at 12:38, OmiyaHearts said:

The Inside Central Station programme has been excellent. I've been using that station since my first day I started work and have always been fond of the building and the staff. A lot of characters there and it's much more than just a train station to many locals. Great coverage, plus my flat made a wee appearance in one of the shots.

I've enjoyed the football coverage as well, so it's been a decent watch.

I've just watched it tonight. I thought it was excellent. The channel is available to those of us who live elsewhere within the UK on Sky Channel 457. Being originally from Hamilton, I know Central Station very well and use it at least once whenever I'm up. It's a fine old Victorian building in itself and a real hub.

• 2 weeks later...

Kash Farooq will defend his British title on April 5th live on the BBC Scotland.

C'mon Kash!

Seymour M Hersh
On 12/03/2019 at 04:36, ri Alban said:

Well I've no idea why you think programmes from Edinburgh (assuming the londinburgh snide comment was aimed at the capital) would be pretentious as there hasn't been any made here for god knows how long.

On 19/02/2019 at 11:05, Pans Jambo said:

Thats just poor though. 

I have worked for an English company twice. One for 6 years and the other for 3. 

Now we were brought up on a TV diet of Eastenders, Corrie, Brookside, Emmerdale, Top of the Pops, Jim’ll fix it, Tizwas, Runaround, Grange Hill, Open all hours, Only fools & horses, Blue Peter, Play School, Jackanory, The Professionals, Benny Hill,  Dr Who, Byker Grive, Men behaving badly, Ab Fab, The Royle Family, One foot in the grave, Heartbeat, Last of the summer wine, Inspector Morse, The Crystal Maze, A touch of Frost and the Royal feckin variety performance!

Because of all of that shite being beamed into my livingroom, I could easily understand almost every regional accent in England however; even today most of the arragant shitehawks that live south of Berwick cannot understand a Scots accent. Even if you speak slowly and pronounciate your words. 

Think your experiences differ from mine. Living in England at the moment and I'm understood but there are phrases and words they don't get but there are equally ones they're using which I don't get. It's not divisive at all. It's simply variation. As for the lack of travel to Scotland, I've raised this and to be honest it's like speaking to Americans who seldom leave the states: why bother? We've got it all here! Which is true. Again it doesn't bother me and in think with more cultural events in Scotland having a resonance here that'll change. 

Ultimately I have never been totally exercised that much about where a program is broadcast or produced, nor the accents in them. What matters is high quality content. That's something none of us are getting frankly. Do we ban American programming because kids here are developing American accents or using Americanisms?

On 19/02/2019 at 11:05, Pans Jambo said:

Its NOT a false dichotomy, England wants the UK to speak in an Eglish accent. They have been chipping away at the Scottish language (Scots) and culture for decades. 

This is a nonsense to me. Scottish culture is and has always flourished within the Union. 

On 12/03/2019 at 17:51, Marvin said:

So as an exile, what is the overall concensus on the BBC Glasgow channel?

Some content is good. Some a bit hit and miss. Think it's good to have a dedicated channel for Scottish coverage and avoids the "and now for viewers in Scotland" stuff. 

My fear of all this remains though, will it look hard and honestly at the issues around the failures of Scottish life: bigotry, poverty, educational inequality, sectarianism, racism etc. Our politicians occasionally choose to play this down and present the uniform "we're all social justice warriors" in Scotland pap. Be good to see some hard hitting journalism and investigations.

Sad to see Debate Night be a repeat of BBCQT. A dying format of vox pop which they should've revamped. Why not just have a panel of 8 persons selected by lot from different walks of life to discuss 3 or 4 issues in an hour with no live audience to carp to? 

29 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

Think your experiences differ from mine. Living in England at the moment and I'm understood but there are phrases and words they don't get but there are equally ones they're using which I don't get. It's not divisive at all. It's simply variation. As for the lack of travel to Scotland, I've raised this and to be honest it's like speaking to Americans who seldom leave the states: why bother? We've got it all here! Which is true. Again it doesn't bother me and in think with more cultural events in Scotland having a resonance here that'll change. 

Ultimately I have never been totally exercised that much about where a program is broadcast or produced, nor the accents in them. What matters is high quality content. That's something none of us are getting frankly. Do we ban American programming because kids here are developing American accents or using Americanisms?

This is a nonsense to me. Scottish culture is and has always flourished within the Union. 

Flourished? 

You saying that from a position south of the border?

I remember getting the strap at school

for saying “aye” instead of yes. Scots has been under attack for 300 years and still is. 

I disagree with every word of your post. 

5 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Flourished? 

You saying that from a position south of the border?

I remember getting the strap at school

for saying “aye” instead of yes. Scots has been under attack for 300 years and still is. 

I disagree with every word of your post. 

I'm not old enough to have been belted. But those decisions on teaching and curriculum were made by a Scottish based educational system. Hardly an imperial imposition from a desk jockey in London.

Happy to disagree with you. But Scottish prose, poetry, language, music, performance and art hasn't been stifled by union. Union bank rolled much of it and perhaps its greatest symbol, the Enlightenment. 

Having only moved down last year I think a lot of this hard done to vibe back home is misplaced. Scotland's rich cultural heritage should rightly be exploited and shared. But to say it's been stifled is something I find hard to accept. 

5 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

:rofl:

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

After you!

Won't be long before its pulled - it will be interesting to see how the TV ratings fare against BBC1 Scotland. :thumbsup:

23 hours ago, frankblack said:

Won't be long before its pulled - it will be interesting to see how the TV ratings fare against BBC1 Scotland. :thumbsup:

Why would the BBC focus on ratings, and why compare BBC Scotland(BBC2) with BBC1 beamed into Scotland.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Why would the BBC focus on ratings, and why compare BBC Scotland(BBC2) with BBC1 beamed into Scotland.

My BBC2 Scotland is still better than your tartan shortbread third rate version buried on some forgettable channel number.

11 hours ago, frankblack said:

My BBC2 Scotland is still better than your tartan shortbread third rate version buried on some forgettable channel number.

Channel 9. Pretty hard to remember.

anyway the channel has been saved by ‘rogue to wrestler’. The story of 8 so called rogues who want to make it as a wrestler. 

• 3 weeks later...

It was never going to work.

Niche beyond niche.

A few hundred folk at the most interested in each programme and not hanging around to see any other progs.

Barely advertised.

1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

2,760 people from a potential audience of 5,300,000?

Yip.  The whole thing was politically driven by Scottish Politicians to get more air time at the expense of other parties, forgetting that most people are sick to the back teeth of them.

Nowadays most people arrive home and switch on streaming services to get the content they want when they want it.

Edited by frankblack

Jambo-Jimbo
23 minutes ago, Cade said:

It was never going to work.

Niche beyond niche.

A few hundred folk at the most interested in each programme and not hanging around to see any other progs.

Barely advertised.

Barely watched either by the sounds of things, I've only ever watched the football on it.

50 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Yip.  The whole thing was politically driven by Scottish Politicians to get more air time at the expense of other parties, forgetting that most people are sick to the back teeth of them.

Nowadays most people arrive home and switch on streaming services to get the content they want when they want it.

Glorious.

Scottish nationalism is Scottish parochialism.

Jambo-Jimbo

Did STV not try something like this not long ago and had to close it down?

I don't get STV so I don't really know what the channel was all about, but I'm sure I heard something about it closing down.

51 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Glorious.

Scottish nationalism is Scottish parochialism.

You're a funny wee fellow. Mind the gap when Spaniards deport you back home, to little Britain.

9 minutes ago, Cade said:

Oh good it's another I HATE RA ESS ENN PEE thread now

I held back from targetting individual parties - I think there were more than just the SNP after this channel but the whole concept was misguided.

Terrestrial channels and even cable channels are losing out as people would rather not be bound by TV schedules and want the convenience of watching content when it suits them - and no, that isn't the same as having a PVR to record and play back.

Personally I read the news on the internet and I'm lucky if I sit down and watch a TV news bulletin, and political programmes are watched sparingly as they are usually awful and agenda driven.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Did STV not try something like this not long ago and had to close it down?

I don't get STV so I don't really know what the channel was all about, but I'm sure I heard something about it closing down.

STV2 Maybe if BBC Scotland was given the £400m of our TV licence monies instead of £34m it would get there. It will, once we're saved from tyranny. SBC is the only channel we'll ever need. Long live the Saviours of Scotland.

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

STV2 Maybe if BBC Scotland was given the £400m of our TV licence monies instead of £34m it would get there. It will, once we're saved from tyranny. SBC is the only channel we'll ever need. Long live the Saviours of Scotland.

You are living in a dream world, completely separate from reality.

BBC Scotland is the Scottish branch of the BBC Corporation.  Nothing would change in such as scenario, other than perhaps it closing down its Scottish operation if it can't raise license fees in parallel to the rest of the UK due to a difference in legislation.

3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You are living in a dream world, completely separate from reality.

BBC Scotland is the Scottish branch of the BBC Corporation.  Nothing would change in such as scenario, other than perhaps it closing down its Scottish operation if it can't raise license fees in parallel to the rest of the UK due to a difference in legislation.

Oh no, TV licence money will run oot anaw. Haud oan, wan less tax. ?

:yas:

Make yer mind up, btw.

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

Oh no, TV licence money will run oot anaw. Haus own, one less tax. ?

:yas:

Make yer mind up, btw.

No license fee in Scotland = no BBC in Scotland (other than people watching BBC rUK on Freeview and cable).

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

No license fee in Scotland = no BBC in Scotland (other than people watching BBC rUK on Freeview and cable).

Well???? I  watch very little BBC or ITV/STV. Showbox, Netflix and YouTube is my choices, bud. But, I Cannae miss Line of duty and Silent witness. Things like that are worth the license fee alone.  The Victim was immense the other week too.

Frank, dae me a wee favour, please. See when you read ma posts, can you no dae it in an angry Scotsman voice, bud. Ta!

Edited by ri Alban

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Well???? I  watch very little BBC or ITV/STV. Showbox, Netflix and YouTube is my choices, bud. But, I Canne miss Line of duty and Silent witness. Things like that are worth the license fee alone.  The Victim was immense the other week too.

You would need to get those on a pay tv carrier (or less than legal alternatives) if the BBC can't collect license fees in Scotland while it does so for the rest of the UK.