• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• frankblack

• Maroon Sailor

• Салатные палочки

Sounds absolutely chronic.  The adverts for the channel are full of tartan shortbread stereotypes.

They needed less coverage of shite Scottish programmes like River City.  Give me FA cup coverage over pishy Scottish political programmes or River City any day.

I do wonder why we are paying our TV license for this crap.

Guest Paul Allen
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm sick fed up of the friggin' F.A cup.

I couldn’t think any more different. I think the FA Cup is brilliant and one of the few things worth paying the licence fee for, and I think this new BBC Scotland channel looks absolutely shite and a total waste of money.

37 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

This was the first thing that came to mind when the Channel was announced. 

Life imitating art. 

O-H-B-C... Newwwzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!! :D

Good to see the usual cringes decrying anything Scottish.

We've had to pay licence fees for decades to watch English centric programmes like Eastenders etc etc.

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

We've had to pay licence fees for decades to watch English centric programmes like Eastenders etc etc.

I’m certainly not decrying anything Scottish.

But I have my suspicions about what the output from BBC”Scotland” will feature heavily. Look forward to being wrong though.

3 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I’m certainly not decrying anything Scottish.

But I have my suspicions about what the output from BBC”Scotland” will feature heavily. Look forward to being wrong though.

Precisely.  Good quality Scottish output is welcome like Still Game, but little of any new Scottish programmes have been up to scratch.

The OP criticises FA Cup coverage.  I trust that means Sportscene is now going to get a complete makeover with 10 minutes highlights per game and detailed analysis?

6 hours ago, frankblack said:

Precisely.  Good quality Scottish output is welcome like Still Game, but little of any new Scottish programmes have been up to scratch.

The OP criticises FA Cup coverage.  I trust that means Sportscene is now going to get a complete makeover with 10 minutes highlights per game and detailed analysis?

I hope so. £350m should be enough. Sorry to sound grumpy about the FA cup.( A bit pissed off about yesterday) I used to really enjoy English football myself,  back in the 80s/90s.

Edited by ri Alban

Is that Martin Geissler in the trailers?  If so, a real change of pace after all those war torn locations and flak jackets. 

Or is the channel based in Glasgow? :)

Edited by martoon

Seymour M Hersh

The Glasgow Broadcasting Co. Is just as rank and biased as it's London counterpart. I predict this unnecessary new channel will be utter tripe.

Yesterday, I didn’t really want to watch any of the FA Cup, so I didn’t. 

What I should’ve done was watch it and then start a thread complaining about it instead. 

Rupert Custard
20 hours ago, Paul Allen said:

I couldn’t think any more different. I think the FA Cup is brilliant and one of the few things worth paying the licence fee for, and I think this new BBC Scotland channel looks absolutely shite and a total waste of money.

Agreed. STV3 will be cringeworthy.

Looking at the BBC Scotland site we will get the following as a TV offering:-

9pm News

Vic Galloway for Music

Documentaries on Valium, plastic on the beach and 2 x mental health stories

Question Time

Billy Connolly 

Limmy

River City

Still Game

Sportscene

TAM - Seemingly a gritty urban fantasy version of Tam O'Shanter

Utter waste of a TV station, sooner the TV Poll Tax is scrapped the better!!!

2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Looking at the BBC Scotland site we will get the following as a TV offering:-

9pm News

Vic Galloway for Music

Documentaries on Valium, plastic on the beach and 2 x mental health stories

Question Time

Billy Connolly 

Limmy

River City

Still Game

Sportscene

TAM - Seemingly a gritty urban fantasy version of Tam O'Shanter

Utter waste of a TV station, sooner the TV Poll Tax is scrapped the better!!!

You pay for sky/virgin, should be exempt if paying for them, mind u they dont have idiot adverts .

Just now, Harry Potter said:

You pay for sky/virgin, should be exempt if paying for them, mind u they dont have idiot adverts .

I watch most stuff as catchup on Sky so tend not to get all that many adverts tbh but would rather put up with adverts than know some of the money I pay goes towards the funding of River City

On 17/02/2019 at 15:44, The White Cockade said:

I enjoy it

anything that takes my mind off that joke goal at Fir Park is good by me

Me too. 

On 17/02/2019 at 15:41, ri Alban said:

I'm sick fed up of the friggin' F.A cup.

What do you think is going to be on that's better than Chelsea v Man Utd. HIbs v St.Mirren, or River CIty?

It's only being broadcast for a few hours a day, with a tiny budget. I've seen a few online argue that it's being setup to fail, while I don't necessarily subscribe to that view some of the decisions around do seem a little odd. 

That being said, I didn't hold out much hope for BBC Alba and that seems to be doing pretty well. They've actually had a few good shows - really enjoyed Tannadice '87 a few weeks back. 

It’ll be chronic because:

1 Its the BBC

2 Jackie Bird will be all over it

3 It’ll be all Glaswegian accents. Always

4 Anything sport will be Rangers or Celtic or Scotland only

5 The presenters will be absolutely nobodies

6 The presenter will absolutely Glaswegian

7 The Scottish cringe will even cringe at this. 

8 Its the BBC

9 Shellsuit Bob et-al will be on it

10 Gary Linneker will still earn more than its entire budget for the year

11 The writers will be the same folk that do the New Year shows

12 Thingamajig will probably make comeback

13 Its the BBC

5 hours ago, H2 said:

What do you think is going to be on that's better than Chelsea v Man Utd. HIbs v St.Mirren, or River CIty?

Burnistoun

4 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

It’ll be chronic because:

1 Its the BBC

2 Jackie Bird will be all over it

3 It’ll be all Glaswegian accents. Always

4 Anything sport will be Rangers or Celtic or Scotland only

5 The presenters will be absolutely nobodies

6 The presenter will absolutely Glaswegian

7 The Scottish cringe will even cringe at this. 

8 Its the BBC

9 Shellsuit Bob et-al will be on it

10 Gary Linneker will still earn more than its entire budget for the year

11 The writers will be the same folk that do the New Year shows

12 Thingamajig will probably make comeback

13 Its the BBC

Johnathon Sutherland, Michael Stewart, Stephen Thompson.

Glesga? 

As for Jackie Bird, she'll be put out with the rest of the bovine.

6 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

Aussie still being a Brit is a glorious detail about Scotland.

Gorgiewave still claiming it was a one-armed man.

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Burnistoun

That covers half an hour with perhaps 12 programmes a year.  Still Game is finished this year, so what else fills the schedule?

The likes of Limmy's show are chronic.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

That covers half an hour with perhaps 12 programmes a year.  Still Game is finished this year, so what else fills the schedule?

The likes of Limmy's show are chronic.

It's on from 7pm til midnight. And you don't like it, opt out and watch BBC 2 all day. It not compulsory.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

It's on from 7pm til midnight. And you don't like it, opt out and watch BBC 2 all day. It not compulsory.

And yet you conplained about FA Cup programmes!

I suspect this channel will be littered with docusoap programmes on sheep shearing, oil rigs and North Sea fishing to fill their schedule.

I give it a year before the BBC revert back to the current channel due to a massive decline in viewers.

Governor Tarkin
On 17/02/2019 at 19:44, luckydug said:

Or you could just accept that you are British, and watch this false dichotomy magically disolve into thin air.

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Or you could just accept that you are British, and watch this false dichotomy magically disolve into thin air.

Thats just poor though. 

I have worked for an English company twice. One for 6 years and the other for 3. 

Now we were brought up on a TV diet of Eastenders, Corrie, Brookside, Emmerdale, Top of the Pops, Jim’ll fix it, Tizwas, Runaround, Grange Hill, Open all hours, Only fools & horses, Blue Peter, Play School, Jackanory, The Professionals, Benny Hill,  Dr Who, Byker Grive, Men behaving badly, Ab Fab, The Royle Family, One foot in the grave, Heartbeat, Last of the summer wine, Inspector Morse, The Crystal Maze, A touch of Frost and the Royal feckin variety performance!

Because of all of that shite being beamed into my livingroom, I could easily understand almost every regional accent in England however; even today most of the arragant shitehawks that live south of Berwick cannot understand a Scots accent. Even if you speak slowly and pronounciate your words. 

Its NOT a false dichotomy, England wants the UK to speak in an Eglish accent. They have been chipping away at the Scottish language (Scots) and culture for decades. I even remember getting the belt at school for saying the work “Aye” instead of yes. 

Thunderstruck
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Thats just poor though. 

I have worked for an English company twice. One for 6 years and the other for 3. 

Now we were brought up on a TV diet of Eastenders, Corrie, Brookside, Emmerdale, Top of the Pops, Jim’ll fix it, Tizwas, Runaround, Grange Hill, Open all hours, Only fools & horses, Blue Peter, Play School, Jackanory, The Professionals, Benny Hill,  Dr Who, Byker Grive, Men behaving badly, Ab Fab, The Royle Family, One foot in the grave, Heartbeat, Last of the summer wine, Inspector Morse, The Crystal Maze, A touch of Frost and the Royal feckin variety performance!

Because of all of that shite being beamed into my livingroom, I could easily understand almost every regional accent in England however; even today most of the arragant shitehawks that live south of Berwick cannot understand a Scots accent. Even if you speak slowly and pronounciate your words. 

Its NOT a false dichotomy, England wants the UK to speak in an Eglish accent. They have been chipping away at the Scottish language (Scots) and culture for decades. I even remember getting the belt at school for saying the work “Aye” instead of yes. 

It is remarkably easy to find a (lengthy) list of the outputs of BBC Scotland. Many of these have been networked and almost invariably without subtitles. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_programmes_produced_by_BBC_Scotland

I’m sure that, if you bothered to look, you could add a significant amount of networked programming originating within ITV in Scotland. 

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:23, Seymour M Hersh said:

The Glasgow Broadcasting Co. Is just as rank and biased as it's London counterpart. I predict this unnecessary new channel will be utter tripe.

Bang on the money.

More pish like River City to keep all these weegie "celebrities" in work.

15 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

It is remarkably easy to find a (lengthy) list of the outputs of BBC Scotland. Many of these have been networked and almost invariably without subtitles. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_programmes_produced_by_BBC_Scotland

I’m sure that, if you bothered to look, you could add a significant amount of networked programming originating within ITV in Scotland. 

It seems this basically boils down to the Nats suffering an inferiority complex with beyond Celtic levels of paranoia over why they can't get enough support for independence.

I notice that the programmes selected as being English have Scots actors in many cases.  Dr Who being a good example with a number of Doctors and prominent characters like Missy.

Complaining about English soaps is ridiculous when we have shite like River City on a number of days a week.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Globalised consumerism has done more in the past twenty years to chip away at Scots culture than any cabal of Englishmen ever has.

And who exactly is this 'England' you speak of? Who exactly are they 'they' who are trying to eradicate the Scots dialect?

Is it Jill from Alnwick?

Is it Barry from Bootle?

Is it Abdul from Birmingham?

Is it Nigel from Limpley Stoke?

You'll have far more in common with your brothers and sisters from the other side of Hadrian's wall than anything that will ever set you apart. 

It's a false dichotomy. 

I mean, even with this channel i'd still like to have the option to watch FA Cup etc.

When ITV had the rights, STV used to show Colombo repeats instead of FA Cup games. Now that is chronic.

...a bit disco

Really ain't looking forward to this.

Going by the trailers it looks like a lot of 3rd or 4th rate Scottish 'celebrities' getting shows and documentaries.

Sportswise, a football talk show hosted by 'journos' who write articles, based on what people on here post, for the local rag for ffs.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Globalised consumerism has done more in the past twenty years to chip away at Scots culture than any cabal of Englishmen ever has.

And who exactly is this 'England' you speak of? Who exactly are they 'they' who are trying to eradicate the Scots dialect?

Is it Jill from Alnwick?

Is it Barry from Bootle?

Is it Abdul from Birmingham?

Is it Nigel from Limpley Stoke?

You'll have far more in common with your brothers and sisters from the other side of Hadrian's wall than anything that will ever set you apart. 

It's a false dichotomy. 

No it really is not. 

Scottish tounge really is difficult for most of the English to understand unyet most Scots can hear Geordies, Scouse, Brummies, the home county accents and even those from Cornwall etc. Why is that? Because popular culture on TV in Scotland since the 60’s really was mainly English content. 

I have no doubt Scots & English have rather a lot in common but my point still stands. Scottish culture in a popular sense within the UK was & has been ignored by the BBC etc. for decades. 

We only really exported Trainspotting, Rab C & the old firm plus anything embarrassing like deep fried mars bars. 

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

It seems this basically boils down to the Nats suffering an inferiority complex with beyond Celtic levels of paranoia over why they can't get enough support for independence.

I notice that the programmes selected as being English have Scots actors in many cases.  Dr Who being a good example with a number of Doctors and prominent characters like Missy.

Complaining about English soaps is ridiculous when we have shite like River City on a number of days a week.

So you think terrestrial TV since say 1970 has had a fair balance nationally with content made in Scotland airing on the BBC/ITV networks (Not BBC Scotland STV regionals)?

Programmes selected? You want a comprehensive list of every TV show aired since 1970? Really?

Its as if the UK Nationalists dont understand English. 

3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

So you think terrestrial TV since say 1970 has had a fair balance nationally with content made in Scotland airing on the BBC/ITV networks (Not BBC Scotland STV regionals)?

Programmes selected? You want a comprehensive list of every TV show aired since 1970? Really?

Its as if the UK Nationalists dont understand English. 

Perhaps if we merely made the BBC more representative, we would not be lumbered with parochial output.

10 % of all TV output should be made in Scotland?

Governor Tarkin
17 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

No it really is not. 

Scottish tounge really is difficult for most of the English to understand unyet most Scots can hear Geordies, Scouse, Brummies, the home county accents and even those from Cornwall etc. Why is that? Because popular culture on TV in Scotland since the 60’s really was mainly English content. 

I have no doubt Scots & English have rather a lot in common but my point still stands. Scottish culture in a popular sense within the UK was & has been ignored by the BBC etc. for decades. 

We only really exported Trainspotting, Rab C & the old firm plus anything embarrassing like deep fried mars bars. 

I can see what you're getting at but think you're being overly sensitive.

I really don't have an issue with the majority of programming having a southern British slant as that's where the vast majority of the British live.

I also fail to see how a TV show starring folk with Cornish accents is somehow a celebration of Cornish culture any more than a TV show set in Shetland is an expose on historical Scots-Norse relations.

We are always going to have someone or other who takes it as a personal slight or feels short changed.

My old man complains about BBC Scotland and STV being Glasgow centric.

I guess I'm just comfortable with couching Scottishness within a wider context.

It removes the need to feel affronted, and a Scots / English dichotomy becomes meaningless.

We'll have to agree to disagree. :):thumbsup:

On 18/02/2019 at 15:01, Rupert Custard said:

Agreed. STV3 will be cringeworthy.

STV is bloody awful. It's like watching the Sun newspaper. 

STV news is so cheap it's unreal.

Thunderstruck
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

No it really is not. 

There is no such thing as a ‘Scottish Tongue’. Instead, there is a multiplicity of Scottish dialects and accents some of which are more opaque than others - to other Scots and further afield. 

There are Scottish accents that are prized for their neutrality or clarity and others that  are very difficult to comprehend in the next county. 

There are Scottish dialects so far removed from everyday English that they are a language in their own right. There are very few individuals who will not be ‘bilingual’ in respect of that dialect/language and English. The same goes for English regional dialects such as Cornish. 

Mind you, it’s a wonder that Connery, Butler and McAvoy have managed to carve out a movie career outside Scotland. More of a wonder is that Paul Lambert, Danny McGrain’s voice coach and football manager, succeeded south of the Border. However, succeed they did.