Quarterback Controversy

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie

In the NFL they call it a quarterback controversy.

One player feeling the pressure off another of similar ability instead of getting healthy competition you get the opposite. 

Inhibitions and error. 

By bringing in 2 30 something keepers that's we have. Neither are particularly great. 

Both drop balls from crosses both blunder. 

For this season we are now in a bad place. 

Really need to spend time and effort tracking a decent keeper. 

3 points chucked. Not all at Doyle's gloves. 

It's the demoralizing effects of the error. 

But to make the point it goes back to the recruitment of these 2 following on from a very solid selection previous 

13 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Ewan Murray spent two years tracking a keeper, we put all our eggs in one basket and are paying the price.

Who was the keeper?

16 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Ewan Murray spent two years tracking a keeper, we put all our eggs in one basket and are paying the price.

Allan McGregor?

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Suspect he means McGregor 

Murray spent 2 years tracking a goalkeeper on our ****ing doorstep everyone and their nan knew about? Revolutionary stuff. 

That seems like a god awful use of resources. Could have done that watching Sky. Surely if you're going to track a player for that long they should be abroad, young or not well known? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Meadows said:

Ewan Murray the journalist ? ?

Didn't think it was worth going there.

Somebody needs to look for a decent keeper 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Thought it was Gilks? We let Alexander go before he signed and we ended up with Hamilton

That's a while ago now. 

A proper no.1 needs to be sourced. 

A contest between keepers never ends well 

Zander Clark would be ideal but not sure we could afford the fee they are looking for. 

Liam Kelly of Livi would probably be more realistic.

Gordon 2nd choice at Celtic now but not sure they would do business with us 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

That's a while ago now. 

A proper no.1 needs to be sourced. 

A contest between keepers never ends well 

I agree. Just making point we haven't a good recruitment strategy re keeper for a while. Mclaughlin was signed on a year's deal iirc? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, LeftBack said:

I agree. Just making point we haven't a good recruitment strategy re keeper for a while. Mclaughlin was signed on a year's deal iirc? 

Agreed 

1 minute ago, Famous 1874 said:

Zander Clark would be ideal but not sure we could afford the fee they are looking for. 

Wouldn’t take Gordon back now. He’s great on his day but the last 1.5 seasons he’s been a bombscare for them. No different to our pair in that regard.

Really we should have went after Bain when the opportunity was there but the times past for that now. Kelly or Clark would be a good investment.

3 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

If I was Levein I would allude to their refusal to do business being sectarian in nature. We're hardly a title rival and they've supplied how many players to Hibs?

All 3 of your suggestions are bang on. I've not seen such poor keepers at Hearts in a long time. 

Seymour M Hersh
41 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

One player feeling the pressure off another of similar ability instead of getting healthy competition you get the opposite. 

Inhibitions and error. 

By bringing in 2 30 something keepers that's we have. Neither are particularly great. 

Both drop balls from crosses both blunder. 

For this season we are now in a bad place. 

Really need to spend time and effort tracking a decent keeper. 

3 points chucked. Not all at Doyle's gloves. 

It's the demoralizing effects of the error. 

But to make the point it goes back to the recruitment of these 2 following on from a very solid selection previous 

1 point lost not 3.

Seymour M Hersh
6 minutes ago, OTT said:

If I was Levein I would allude to their refusal to do business being sectarian in nature. We're hardly a title rival and they've supplied how many players to Hibs?

All 3 of your suggestions are bang on. I've not seen such poor keepers at Hearts in a long time. 

Forgotten Jack Hamilton already have you?

rudi must stay

Zlamal is a solid keeper. Much better than Doyle, CL gives him another chance he'd see that. The American has been loaned out, he could be a decent player for Hearts too.

Better off in goal than we were with Jack Hamilton there that's for sure

Seymour M Hersh
51 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

3 hence why not all Doyle's fault 

Your logic is to say the least flawed. We were 1-0 down and come back to equalise. Wit seconds left the goalie throws one in the net to lose us the point we were going to get. We didn't chuck 3 points away.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Zlamal is a solid keeper. Much better than Doyle, CL gives him another chance he'd see that. The American has been loaned out, he could be a decent player for Hearts too.

Better off in goal than we were with Jack Hamilton there that's for sure

Zlamal is a solid keeper ?

Maybe between the ears he is

He's turned out not that much better than FlapJack

Edited by Maroon Sailor

SpruceBringsteen
4 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Usually when there's 2 good QBs rather than 2 absolute donuts, mind. :lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Your logic is to say the least flawed. We were 1-0 down and come back to equalise. Wit seconds left the goalie throws one in the net to lose us the point we were going to get. We didn't chuck 3 points away.

Whooooosh

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Usually when there's 2 good QBs rather than 2 absolute donuts, mind. :lol:

True....mostly.  Once you start chopping and changing key roles the curve is downward 

Edited by Sir Gio

We have had some class keepers during my time watching Hearts.

And class by character.

If it was up to me I'd stick with Doyle.

I'm more critical of keepers than all other positions at this level.

Because they have to be able to handle critism first and foremost.

Not privvy to anything but I'd bet Levein sticks with Doyle .

Are there any goalkeepers who post on here who also think Doyle despitetodays fek up has the makings?

Most keepers are prone to indifferent form. Only McGregor and Joe Lewis are really top drawer for me in this league.

todays mistake was a shocker but let’s not forget the 3 saves he made earlier. 

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, jake said:

We have had some class keepers during my time watching Hearts.

And class by character.

If it was up to me I'd stick with Doyle.

I'm more critical of keepers than all other positions at this level.

Because they have to be able to handle critism first and foremost.

Not privvy to anything but I'd bet Levein sticks with Doyle .

Are there any goalkeepers who post on here who also think Doyle despitetodays fek up has the makings?

Nice if they could handle the ball. Too many of them seem to flap and slap at everything.

Not going to hang Doyle out to dry for that today but he should pop in to the club shop and get a cap

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Nice if they could handle the ball. Too many of them seem to flap and slap at everything.

Not going to hang Doyle out to dry for that today but he should pop in to the club shop and get a cap

Modern train8ng I think encourages that.

You a goalie buddy?

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, jake said:

Modern train8ng I think encourages that.

You a goalie buddy?

Err No !

Went in goals once as our regular keeper wanted to play up front so I foolishly said I would go in goals.

It was blustery and I had an absolute mare - never again !

12 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Most keepers are prone to indifferent form. Only McGregor and Joe Lewis are really top drawer for me in this league.

todays mistake was a shocker but let’s not forget the 3 saves he made earlier. 

The 3 good ones were cancelled out by the howler, in fact  it was easier to get the ball, still dont know how he managed it.

18 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

He would not. A slight purple patch a keeper doesn't make, his basics are awful, especially his footwork.

50 minutes ago, Ribble said:

He would not. A slight purple patch a keeper doesn't make, his basics are awful, especially his footwork.

Agree, not much better than Doyle, if at all.

no doubts we need a proper gk. think the lower leagues down south would be better than Clark or Kelly. Both prone to errors too. Kelly certainly has had a few shockers for Livi. 

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

We don’t play out from the back anyways. Shot stopping should be a priority not footwork. Would you reject Craig Gordon then?

49 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

We don’t play out from the back anyways. Shot stopping should be a priority not footwork. Would you reject Craig Gordon then?

Footwork for a goalkeeper is how he moves across/around his goal, i'm not referring to his passing. Shot stopping is infinitely more difficult without good footwork.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have Craig back now, i'd much rather we followed the 'spine building' philosophy and brought in a keeper around 27/28 that can be number 1 for the next 5/6 years rather than an ex-legend who may or may not last another 2 years. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

What a cool answer. 

All your response deserved I'm afraid. I wasn't blaming Doyle entirely, hence why he was not responsible for 3 points dropped despite you trying to change the narrative

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Footwork for a goalkeeper is how he moves across/around his goal, i'm not referring to his passing. Shot stopping is infinitely more difficult without good footwork.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have Craig back now, i'd much rather we followed the 'spine building' philosophy and brought in a keeper around 27/28 that can be number 1 for the next 5/6 years rather than an ex-legend who may or may not last another 2 years. 

I agree with you, not sure footwork was to blame, his body movement is all wrong toward the ball, if anything he has moved too far across. Bad misjudgement of the bounce and the movement of a 76 year old man awaiting a hip operation going down on it

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

All your response deserved I'm afraid. I wasn't blaming Doyle entirely, hence why he was not responsible for 3 points dropped despite you trying to change the narrative

How could you call that shambles of an OP a narrative? :rofl:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

How could you call that shambles of an OP a narrative? :rofl:

Oh dear

:facepalm:

31 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I agree with you, not sure footwork was to blame, his body movement is all wrong toward the ball, if anything he has moved too far across. Bad misjudgement of the bounce and the movement of a 76 year old man awaiting a hip operation going down on it

Agree that footwork wasn't Doyles issue yesterday, I was talking about Zander Clark though

Ridiculous over-thinking

Having one main player with no replacement is not the way ahead.

Everybody makes mistakes at some point or other.

An unchallenged 1st pick keeper who suddenly goes off the boil without a capable replacement is a shocking state of affairs.

Or what happens if he's injured?

Having competition for places does not make players screw up under threat of losing their place.

Let the yanks keep their gobshite theories.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Agree that footwork wasn't Doyles issue yesterday, I was talking about Zander Clark though

ah! Apologies. First great tip I ever got, don't dive for something you can move your feet better

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, Cade said:

Ridiculous over-thinking

Having one main player with no replacement is not the way ahead.

Everybody makes mistakes at some point or other.

An unchallenged 1st pick keeper who suddenly goes off the boil without a capable replacement is a shocking state of affairs.

Or what happens if he's injured?

Having competition for places does not make players screw up under threat of losing their place.

Let the yanks keep their gobshite theories.

The theory is in certain positions, better to have 1 very solid reliable pick than create a lack of confidence by competing 2 players who are edgy.

Not all people are the same. Its not so much a theory as a potential situation, one I believe we have now, where we have no no.1 but 2 less than average back ups.