1998 v 2012 ? (FTH)

Midloth_Iain

The Two greatest moments in modern HMFC History ......?

For me, there is only 1.

1998, the most amazing day in my personal history of being a Hearts supporter.

Flogel, McCann, Rousset, Cameron, Adam !

queensferryjambo

I have followed Hearts since the 80s, seen the 3 cup wins, suffered all the disappointments up until 98 but for me 2012 shades it.  

Had we lost to that Rangers team in 98 nobody would have batted an eyelid. Had we lost to Hibs it would have been ultimate humiliation.

We will never have a day like the 2012 cup final again in our lives. I am not saying we won't get to finals or win anything just we are unlikely to have such an easy win and against our local rivals again.

FTH 

For me they both rank equal, but for different reasons. 1998 was the cup victory I thought we would never get, the feeling at the final whistle. For a few minutes, I was just silent, then the tears came. That will onlu be topped bt winning the league.

2012, destroying our so called rivals, in the biggest derby ever. It's the only cup final I've ever relaxed in, once Darren Barr scored, I knew we had won it. That will only be topped by beating hibs by even more goals in a final.

queensferryjambo
6 minutes ago, Kid Creole said:

Take your point, but the monkey off the back in 98 was such a release.

It was also unexpected. ...

I wouldn't say unexpected.

We had been pumped by Rangers in 1996 Scottish Cup but with the 4-3 defeat in the 1996 league cup I think it gave a lot of players belief. We played better than Rangers in the 2-2 draw at Ibrox near the end of that season and were unlucky not to win.

Hearts were a very good team that season and without sounding arrogant I expected Hearts to be decent in the final and knew we had our best chance to win a final that day.

It wasn't like we finished 5th or 6th and sneaked a cup win. We had a decent challenge for the league that year as well.

2 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

I wouldn't say unexpected.

Hearts were a very good team that season

You're right, we were, but look at the Rangers lineup. This was the last year for the team that won them 9 in a row.

GK1 Andy Goram

DF2 Sergio Porrini

DF3 Ståle Stensaas 45'

DF4 Richard Gough (c)

DF5 Lorenzo Amoruso

MF6 Joachim Björklund

MF7 Gennaro Gattuso

MF8 Ian Ferguson

MF10 Stuart McCall 68'

FW9 Gordon Durie

FW11 Brian Laudrup

Substitutes:

DF15 Craig Moore

MF14 Ian Durrant 68'

FW12 Ally McCoist 45'

Manager:

Walter Smith

For some it will be 2012 because it was Hibs, but 1998 was a break through after decades with some bitter disappointments, not least Dens Park.  2012 we beat a poor  Hibs side, Gretna were much more difficult. 98 we beat a Rangers team that had been totally dominating Scottish football for a decade although the cracks were starting to appear. As for which was the most enjoyable experience that is a personal thing, for me 98 in all aspects.

3 hours ago, Rab said:

You're right, we were, but look at the Rangers lineup. This was the last year for the team that won them 9 in a row.

GK1 Andy Goram

DF2 Sergio Porrini

DF3 Ståle Stensaas 45'

DF4 Richard Gough (c)

DF5 Lorenzo Amoruso

MF6 Joachim Björklund

MF7 Gennaro Gattuso

MF8 Ian Ferguson

MF10 Stuart McCall 68'

FW9 Gordon Durie

FW11 Brian Laudrup

Substitutes:

DF15 Craig Moore

MF14 Ian Durrant 68'

FW12 Ally McCoist 45'

Manager:

Walter Smith

Some team, compare it with the Rangers team that the wee team beat...

I have a soft spot for 06.

It was the first cup final where I was there to see us lift the trophy.

98 I was too young for it's impact to really mean as much as it does for others.

2012 :rofl:What a ****ing day.

portobellojambo1
6 hours ago, Kid Creole said:

The Two greatest moments in modern HMFC History ......?

For me, there is only 1.

1998, the most amazing day in my personal history of being a Hearts supporter.

Flogel, McCann, Rousset, Cameron, Adam !

I agree totally, 1998 was the best day, best weekend of my life. It was a game we weren't expected to win, in 2006 we then played Gretna in a game which if we are honest we made difficult to win and in 2012 the final turned out to be a stroll. HMFC could have picked the 11 most drunk folk on one of the supporters buses and we would still have won that game. I think the number who turned out on the streets on the Sunday following each game also showed the importance of each. The crowds on the streets were massive in 1998, dropped a little in 2006 and were much lower in 2012, 1998 meant so much to so many people and they made it known.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
20 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I agree totally, 1998 was the best day, best weekend of my life. It was a game we weren't expected to win, in 2006 we then played Gretna in a game which if we are honest we made difficult to win and in 2012 the final turned out to be a stroll. HMFC could have picked the 11 most drunk folk on one of the supporters buses and we would still have won that game. I think the number who turned out on the streets on the Sunday following each game also showed the importance of each. The crowds on the streets were massive in 1998, dropped a little in 2006 and were much lower in 2012, 1998 meant so much to so many people and they made it known.

Yup. 1998 was monumental. The most important victory in a generation.

2006 although enjoyable afterwards, was a little bit of a damp squib for me and 2012 was a mixture of relief and shadenfreude.

Doctor FinnBarr
38 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Did the crowds drop? 98, 06 and 12 all seemed pretty busy to me from the same vantage point across from Robbo's

6 minutes ago, been here before said:

2012 wasnt even close.

Definitely 98 for me. I was on a mini bus with Walter Kidd and Scott Crabbe that day and we all went in hope rather than expectation. I still get anxious watching the last five mins of that game and that penalty claim gives me nightmares. I actually thought the hun would equalise somehow as we were always the bridesmaid up till then. What a relief when the whistle went. Look at the fans at the final whistle as we knew what we had just accomplished.  It was the best day ever and the euphoria of that day hasn’t been bettered by 06 or 2012 put together.  

In 2012 it was expected we’d win and I knew the hobos had a poor team and a clueless manager going into this game. At halftime it was all over as a contest. I felt we took our foot off the gas in the last 20 mins and I’d love to have seen us go for 7, just to rub it right in. I actually came away from that game slightly flat and feeling we should have went for the jugular and paid them back for  new year 73. Maybe a 7-1, 8-1 I’d have changed my mind a bit though. 

2012 doesn’t touch 98 for me and not even close. 

portobellojambo1
Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Did the crowds drop? 98, 06 and 12 all seemed pretty busy to me from the same vantage point across from Robbo's

I didn't count everyone individually but although I followed the parade from the City Chambers to Tynecastle in 1998 I was in a club opposite Robbos in both 2006 and 2012 and the numbers were visibly lower on both those occasions. In 1998 you quite simply couldn't move from around the bottom of Ardmillan Terrace along to the top of McLeod Street.

19 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I think there was approaching 250k in 98. 

portobellojambo1
17 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I think there was approaching 250k in 98. 

It was huge in 1998. One of the things that will always stick in my memory was actually coming back into Edinburgh after the game and the bus coming down Calder Road. Even I was surprised by the number of people who were out on the streets, as far up as Sighthill/Calder. It was very clear that the result that year meant an awful lot to a hell of a lot of people

Edited by portobellojambo1

I was beside myself in 1998.  Absolutely overwhelmed.  Like a dream.  The next two were great but not quite the same.

Better too when the OF are the vanquished.

portobellojambo1
7 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I was beside myself in 1998.  Absolutely overwhelmed.  Like a dream.  The next two were great but not quite the same.

Better too when the OF are the vanquished.

If you want to succeed in Scottish football Doug you have to raise your levels to that of the OF, not classify a defeat of the shit from Leith as the be all and end all. Anyone who had played Hibs that weekend would have won the cup.

Edited by portobellojambo1

98 was such an outpouring of joy, relief and god know how many other emotions I don’t think it could be beaten. 

For me  the best way to judge them is my reactions to them. 

98 - tears and unadulterated joy

06 - I was actually angry that Hearts did their best to **** up..... again

12 - the expected smugness tinged with a bit annoyance that we didn’t REALLY rub their noses in it. 

13 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

It was huge in 1998. One of the things that will always stick in my memory was actually coming back into Edinburgh after the game and the bus coming down Calder Road. Even I was surprised by the number of people who were out on the streets, as far up as Sighthill/Calder. It was very clear that the result that year meant an awful lot to a hell of a lot of people

Definitely a bigger crowd in 98. I was 18 and woke up in the morning lying on Gorgie Road. Don’t remember much about the night before, after the match. Massive crowds gathered later on. The game itself was won on the back of one of the greatest defensive performances I’ve ever seen. Nobody was getting past Weir and Ritchie at 2-1. Gattuso diving and hacking for the entire time he was on the pitch. The ridiculous injury time. That goal by Adam. 

2006 the main event was the semi. 

2012 had big crowds too, but not as big as 1998. That was the pinnacle for me though. We went out and seized that game by the throat and destroyed our biggest rivals. Nothing will compare to that for me. Complete control from start to finish, and a score line that would have had us celebrating like crazy in a run of the mill league fixture, never mind a Cup Final.

Nice to have three occasions to choose from. :wub:

???

8 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

I have followed Hearts since the 80s, seen the 3 cup wins, suffered all the disappointments up until 98 but for me 2012 shades it.  

Had we lost to that Rangers team in 98 nobody would have batted an eyelid. Had we lost to Hibs it would have been ultimate humiliation.

We will never have a day like the 2012 cup final again in our lives. I am not saying we won't get to finals or win anything just we are unlikely to have such an easy win and against our local rivals again.

FTH 

I get what you're saying which is I still say 98. 98 was about winning. 12 was about not losing. Being a winner trumps not being a loser, if you get my drift. 

3 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

If you want to succeed in Scottish football Doug you have to raise your levels to that of the OF, not classify a defeat of the shit from Leith as the be all and end all. Anyone who had played Hibs that weekend would have won the cup.

Harsh. We did both in 2012. ?

"Defeat is (was) not an option" As Andy Driver said a few days before. 

It wasn't. That final, whatever the outcome, was a lifelong commitment for anyone who loves either Hearts or Hibs. A result that had to be lived with. Not a single day has passed since without 5-1 crossing my mind and you can be sure it's the same for the Hibby. Look at the way he's scuttled around since, shrieking about "cheatun" and "tainted" in between firing out emails hoping his tormentor will die and disappear. 

1998 was fantastic, 2006 superb but 2012 was the finest result in my 44 years of following Heart of Midlothian. I've been on a permanent 1-5 high ever since. 

FTH

NLTF 

Keep squirming, Hibby. 

1 minute ago, Normthebarman said:

I get what you're saying which is I still say 98. 98 was about winning. 12 was about not losing. Being a winner trumps not being a loser, if you get my drift. 

Good debate this. It’s an interesting point you make too, but for me, it’s the other way around in terms of the actual match and the way it played out.

In 98, we came under so much pressure from Rangers, it was about not losing, from our second goal to the final whistle.

In 2012, we were so far ahead from the first whistle, we never had a realistic chance of doing anything other than winning. ?

7 minutes ago, martoon said:

It wasn't. That final, whatever the outcome, was a lifelong commitment for anyone who loves either Hearts or Hibs. A result that had to be lived with. Not a single day has passed since without 5-1 crossing my mind and you can be sure it's the same for the Hibby. Look at the way he's scuttled around since, shrieking about "cheatun" and "tainted" in between firing out emails hoping his tormentor will die and disappear. 

1998 was fantastic, 2006 superb but 2012 was the finest result in my 44 years of following Heart of Midlothian. I've been on a permanent 1-5 high ever since. 

FTH

NLTF 

Keep squirming, Hibby. 

So true mate. The way they desperately try and equate their 114 years of abject failure ending with a win over Sevco, with murdering your local rivals in a grand final is laughable. They are still hurting badly over it.

3 hours ago, Des Lynam said:

The emotions after that game is something I’ve never experienced again. 

Think this nutshells it.

You've got to look at 1998 and what the circumstances were at that moment and what had all went before in our recent history.

There was Hearts fans crying when the 2nd goal went in as the realisation of what could be happening made people overcome with emotion. (I was one).  A truly amazing day and weekend. Sweltering hot too which I think adds to the memory of it.

2012 was another amazing day. Goes without saying really. A lifetime of bragging rights but there was more fear going into that one than 98. 

12 minutes ago, martoon said:

FTH

NLTF 

Keep squirming, Hibby. 

Great post

5 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Good debate this. It’s an interesting point you make too, but for me, it’s the other way around in terms of the actual match and the way it played out.

In 98, we came under so much pressure from Rangers, it was about not losing, from our second goal to the final whistle.

In 2012, we were so far ahead from the first whistle, we never had a realistic chance of doing anything other than winning. ?

Good point. Saying that, it's been a looooong time since I last watched that final but I'm sure I've read on here from those who've watched it more recently that we actually dominated the game until the last 15-20 minutes.

I actually felt a bit cheated by 12. It was like a teenage girl building up her "first time" to be this wonderous, magical, roller coaster of emotion and pleasure but in reality it was all done and dusted in a few minutes. It was such a cake walk that, while not taking the shine off it, it. maybe pinched the cherry on top. 

Just now, Normthebarman said:

Good point. Saying that, it's been a looooong time since I last watched that final but I'm sure I've read on here from those who've watched it more recently that we actually dominated the game until the last 15-20 minutes.

I actually felt a bit cheated by 12. It was like a teenage girl building up her "first time" to be this wonderous, magical, roller coaster of emotion and pleasure but in reality it was all done and dusted in a few minutes. It was such a cake walk that, while not taking the shine off it, it. maybe pinched the cherry on top. 

Ooft... never felt that way to me mate. Maybe. For me it was hellish, and it felt like waves of Rangers attacks breaking against our defence for the majority of the ninety minutes. These things are always heavily influenced by emotions though. ?

That half an hour or so of injury time though?? ???

98 by a mile.  I was only 14 but I understood - I wasn't quite as conditioned as my elders but the previous two finals had sapped my youthful hope.  My dad was drunk on victory after the game.  The only downside really is I have fond memories of Celtic Park.

No cup win will better it in my lifetime unless I live very long and we have a similar barren spell.  Winning the league would better it by a long way but the tension would be so much I'd probably need to get put into an induced coma until it was all over.  Or at least cancel my Hearts TV subscription.

8 hours ago, superjack said:

For me they both rank equal, but for different reasons. 1998 was the cup victory I thought we would never get, the feeling at the final whistle. For a few minutes, I was just silent, then the tears came. That will onlu be topped bt winning the league.

2012, destroying our so called rivals, in the biggest derby ever. It's the only cup final I've ever relaxed in, once Darren Barr scored, I knew we had won it. That will only be topped by beating hibs by even more goals in a final.

Im the same, 98 for getting our 1st trophy in 36 years and 12 for beating our rivals in the biggest game of our generation.

9 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Ooft... never felt that way to me mate. Maybe. For me it was hellish, and it felt like waves of Rangers attacks breaking against our defence for the majority of the ninety minutes. These things are always heavily influenced by emotions though. ?

That half an hour or so of injury time though?? ???

In my head, I'm the same as you. I remember it as a backs to the wall battle for the entire 2nd half. But I'm sure I've read on here from those who watched it more recently, that we were easily the better team and that it wasn't as back to the walls as it felt like at the time. 

Either way, I feel immensely fortunate to have been around for both momentous occasions.

For me nothing comes close to 2012 but I think that comes down to age, I was 9 when we won it in 1998 and don’t appreciate the hard times that went before it 1986 in particular. I know if I ask my uncles the same questions 2012 doesn’t even cross their minds. 

4 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

In my head, I'm the same as you. I remember it as a backs to the wall battle for the entire 2nd half. But I'm sure I've read on here from those who watched it more recently, that we were easily the better team and that it wasn't as back to the walls as it felt like at the time. 

Either way, I feel immensely fortunate to have been around for both momentous occasions.

I watched it recently myself, and it wasn’t as back to the walls as it felt at the time, and we played really well. Gattuso was a cheating fud.