1998 v 2012 ? (FTH)

Midloth_Iain

98 adl for me , greatest day as a Hearts supporter.

2012 was great but we already had seen a wee team demolition job in the semi final at Hampden in 06.

30 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

So true mate. The way they desperately try and equate their 114 years of abject failure ending with a win over Sevco, with murdering your local rivals in a grand final is laughable. They are still hurting badly over it.

They even attempted to build up the "relegation" derby as potential revenge for 5-1.

They're over it, though. 

:4_1_72:

Hibby

5 hours ago, Rab said:

You're right, we were, but look at the Rangers lineup. This was the last year for the team that won them 9 in a row.

GK1 Andy Goram

DF2 Sergio Porrini

DF3 Ståle Stensaas 45'

DF4 Richard Gough (c)

DF5 Lorenzo Amoruso

MF6 Joachim Björklund

MF7 Gennaro Gattuso

MF8 Ian Ferguson

MF10 Stuart McCall 68'

FW9 Gordon Durie

FW11 Brian Laudrup

Substitutes:

DF15 Craig Moore

MF14 Ian Durrant 68'

FW12 Ally McCoist 45'

Manager:

Walter Smith

When you look at this line up it has to be 98. Hobo 12 was special and pretty unique though. 

9 hours ago, Kid Creole said:

The Two greatest moments in modern HMFC History ......?

For me, there is only 1.

1998, the most amazing day in my personal history of being a Hearts supporter.

Flogel, McCann, Rousset, Cameron, Adam !

1998 every time for me. After the earlier disappointments, that's the one cup win I'll never forget. 2012 was special but beating that shower of shite is just a formality. 

19 minutes ago, martoon said:

They even attempted to build up the "relegation" derby as potential revenge for 5-1.

They're over it, though. 

:4_1_72:

Hibby

Desperate deluded morons. ?

1998 hands down. 

Like many I had watched years of heartbreak. Hampden defeats to the likes of Airdrie, semi final last minute defeat to Celtic and the likes of the 96 rangers defeats.

to finally win the cup , and against a team filled with the players rangers had was utterly incredible. Insane weekend.

the 2012 one was close, humiliating your rivals in a final like that was off the scale. But 98 was for me the best

98 by a mile. That rangers team was worth a fortune and I'd seen us lose to them 5-1 then 4-3 in the previous 2 finals. I went along with hope more than expectation 

Hibs final was amazing too but after 98 I was in a daze as I couldn't believe we'd done it.

9 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

I have followed Hearts since the 80s, seen the 3 cup wins, suffered all the disappointments up until 98 but for me 2012 shades it.  

Had we lost to that Rangers team in 98 nobody would have batted an eyelid. Had we lost to Hibs it would have been ultimate humiliation.

We will never have a day like the 2012 cup final again in our lives. I am not saying we won't get to finals or win anything just we are unlikely to have such an easy win and against our local rivals again.

FTH 

Yeah tend to agree I was mentally exhausted got back to haymarket and just sat in the pub for a few hours hardly spoke 

Totally shattered upstairs 

98 by a mile.  I cried as a 24 year old man that day. 

In 06 the final was the semi for me despite almost coming unstuck in the final

In 12 i laughed and laughed and laughed.  It didn't touch 98 for emotion or celebrations.  I didn't go home until Monday night in 98. 

I was only 11 in 98 and it was the first time I cried with happiness. Didn't know that was possible until that day. 

06 we did the business eventually. Had a decent night out afterwards. 

2012 was incredible and a stick to beat the vermin with for the rest of their history. Expected to win that though. 

98 wins for me, due to overcoming the task at hand on the pitch, and the burden off it. 

12 was quite an odd experience where I was totally relaxed and absolutely knew we had the game won before we'd kicked a ball , as we owned them lock stock and barrel and it was just a case of how easy we would stroll it.

The one occasion where I got to experience what it must be like for an OF supporter when they played a duddy club in a final.

If I'm honest I was more nervous the morning of the 06 semi especially with gretna waiting in the final.

Obviously needn't have concerned myself as Hartley owned them from the first whistle.

10 hours ago, Kid Creole said:

The Two greatest moments in modern HMFC History ......?

For me, there is only 1.

1998, the most amazing day in my personal history of being a Hearts supporter.

Flogel, McCann, Rousset, Cameron, Adam !

1998 for me every time as it ended 35 years of near things as I started going to Tynecastle in 1963, also the fact that I didn't get to the 2012 final and didn't see it on TV and banned myself from listening on the radio as I was driving up to the Isle of Skye at the time and feared I might drive of he road if we hammered them. It was a good decision without doubt.

2 hours ago, grumpy rebus said:

98 was such an outpouring of joy, relief and god know how many other emotions I don’t think it could be beaten. 

For me  the best way to judge them is my reactions to them. 

98 - tears and unadulterated joy

06 - I was actually angry that Hearts did their best to **** up..... again

12 - the expected smugness tinged with a bit annoyance that we didn’t REALLY rub their noses in it. 

nailed it ......  and the weather in 98 just added to the joy 

98!

For those that followed Hearts from the mid 60s and for over 30+ years had never seen a trophy being lifted in 1998 a dream came true!! It was the greatest day ever!

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

1998 every time. I can't see it ever being beaten in my lifetime. Maybe not even if we win the league. 

If we win the league at the end of a game, then a league win would beat it. If it was a Leicester job, then 98 would probably still sneak it. 

Francis Albert
Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Did the crowds drop? 98, 06 and 12 all seemed pretty busy to me from the same vantage point across from Robbo's

While for me 1998 was the peak I think the Sunday crowds were a bit bigger if anything in 2006 and 2012. A free spectacle always brings out the crowds.

For someone who started going to Tynecastle since the early 60's, it has to be 1998. As someone who witnessed losing the League twice on the last day of the season, and Cup Final losses in 1968, 1976, 1986 and 1996. When Willie Young blew the final whistle, I just stood with tears streaming, as I realised I had finally seen Hearts lift a major trophy. Robbo clutching his winners medal started me off again. 2006 was an anti-climax, and although I thoroughly enjoyed the 2012 result, 1998 was the year we got the monkey off our back.

For me it was 1998. After years of heartache from Dens Park right up to the 1996 League Cup Final it has to be the ultimate. Remember they had a very strong team then. We were also fortunate that Albertz was suspended as at least one of their free kicks would've went in. It was always left to Amoruso.  We should've hammered Gretna into the ground with all the International players we had at the time but we scraped it eventually. As for 2012, was great to put them in their place but it was the least nervous one of the three as it was all over bar the shouting with 20 minutes left. Can't say the same about 1998 or  2006.

rudi must stay

2012 for me. I remember sitting there 4-1 up and looking at the stands, maroon everyone and there was no fear or worry whatsoever, an amazing day, and as said at the time we were brilliant that day. 

Cory McNamara
10 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

The crowds on the streets were massive in 1998, dropped a little in 2006 and were much lower in 2012, 1998 meant so much to so many people and they made it known.

I think that's because of occasional fans, friends and "friends" of the friends. The gap between the titles was huge. City itself had only one trophy (modern era). World Cup 1998.

1998 - Huge relief, big surprise after 1986, 1988, 1992 and 1996; very good and strong team. Hearts should have beaten the real monster-team at that day.

2006 - Great achievement for a strong generation, interesting semi-final against Hibs (4:0), this win is like a crown for all the players (their dedication and hard work).

2012 - First "final" against Kelts (semi-final  with 2:1), then Hibernian again and 5:1. Can you ask for more? Two green teams for a price of one. Big deal. They have done.

1998 - Relief and celebration.

2006 - Culmination of the whole generation.

2012 - Historical game for Edinburgh.

2012. No contest.

Had we lost in 1998 I would have successfully confined that game to some distant memory bank, much like 68, 76, 86 and 96.

Had we lost in 2012, and by that margin, I would never in a million years have been able to forget a humiliation like that,......... and neither should they ?

I loved 1998 for so many reasons, but it's 2012 for me all day long.  Defined all the ups and downs of my Hearts supporting years in an all too short 90 minutes.

3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

2012 for me. I remember sitting there 4-1 up and looking at the stands, maroon everyone and there was no fear or worry whatsoever, an amazing day, and as said at the time we were brilliant that day. 

We have a history of not doing things the easy way , but we did that day.

It was satisfying and surprising because of our past struggles to get over the line. 

However, you could say the sting was taken out the celebrations because we knew the cup was won after 50 minutes. 

Would i have preferred a late clincher with ten to go to make it 2-0, sparking the Hearts end into raptures and non stop celebratory songs until full time?....Probably, if I had the power to manipulate life and a football match!

In reality it was a massive relief to win a hugely historical game ....and at a canter.

11 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

1998 every time. I can't see it ever being beaten in my lifetime. Maybe not even if we win the league. 

Aye right.

queensferryjambo
19 hours ago, Rab said:

You're right, we were, but look at the Rangers lineup. This was the last year for the team that won them 9 in a row.

GK1 Andy Goram

DF2 Sergio Porrini

DF3 Ståle Stensaas 45'

DF4 Richard Gough (c)

DF5 Lorenzo Amoruso

MF6 Joachim Björklund

MF7 Gennaro Gattuso

MF8 Ian Ferguson

MF10 Stuart McCall 68'

FW9 Gordon Durie

FW11 Brian Laudrup

Substitutes:

DF15 Craig Moore

MF14 Ian Durrant 68'

FW12 Ally McCoist 45'

Manager:

Walter Smith

There were some great players with great careers in there but arguably most of them were at the end of their careers. Think a fair few of them ended their Rangers careers that day as well. Obviously Rangers bizarrely sold Gazza to Middlesbrough in March of that year which IMO was a weird one and Jorg Albertz  getting sent off and suspended for the final definitely helped us :) 

Gattuso had quite an incredible career after Rangers and went on to win a couple of Champions leagues and the World Cup. Oddly I thought he had a poor game in 98 and possibly could have been sent off for a couple of challenges after he was booked. 

In 2012 on reflection apart from Leigh Griffiths & Matt Doherty the whole Hibs team was absolute shite. Doherty has actually turned out to be a decent player but Andy Driver ripped him up for arse paper on the day :)