Ski racing

Boof

Anytime I watch ski racing on the telly I'm dumbfounded how these racers can actually navigate their way down the course at such speed. Downhill, slalom, giant slalom...staggering ability.

My question for anybody who's either done it or watched it in person, is it easier than TV makes it look? On TV you don't get the appreciation of distance between successive gates or angles of attack etc.

To me, TV makes it look near-impossible. The skiers prove otherwise. So what is it?

Just now, Boof said:

Anytime I watch ski racing on the telly I'm dumbfounded how these racers can actually navigate their way down the course at such speed. Downhill, slalom, giant slalom...staggering ability.

My question for anybody who's either done it or watched it in person, is it easier than TV makes it look? On TV you don't get the appreciation of distance between successive gates or angles of attack etc.

To me, TV makes it look near-impossible. The skiers prove otherwise. So what is it?

One sport im hopeless at, i would imagine it takes years of practice Boof,  

Skiing at that level is far, far harder than it looks on TV.

Skiing wrecks your body, especially the knees and hips.

Slalom is technically very difficult, downhill takes great body strength and any given racer is always a split second from hitting the nets at 70mph.

I just felt the camera foreshortens distances and we seldom get to see the full width between gates.

Presumably the skiers, even at the speeds they go, have time to sight the next gate and go exactly where they want.

I presume (again!) they get a sighting run, and the course is generally 'okay, I've just done a left turn so it'll be a right next' but seeing the TV view just makes it look impossible. 

Off to do some research...

4 minutes ago, Boof said:

I just felt the camera foreshortens distances and we seldom get to see the full width between gates.

Presumably the skiers, even at the speeds they go, have time to sight the next gate and go exactly where they want.

I presume (again!) they get a sighting run, and the course is generally 'okay, I've just done a left turn so it'll be a right next' but seeing the TV view just makes it look impossible. 

The only way you're going to know for sure is to do it yourself, Boof. :)

12 minutes ago, Boof said:

Some events they get a sighting run and a practise run.

Some events they only get to slide down the hill sideways and have a wee look.

9 minutes ago, redjambo said:

The only way you're going to know for sure is to do it yourself, Boof. :)

:lol:

Or just go and watch one in the flesh...

Would love to see a downhill race and also the ski jumping.

2 minutes ago, Boof said:

:lol:

Or just go and watch one in the flesh...

Would love to see a downhill race and also the ski jumping.

Or both downhill and ski jumping in a combined event on the same course at the same time - now that would be worth watching.

That's up there with my idea of making F1 more interesting by having half the cars go in one direction and the other half go in the other direction.

My ideas could make watching sport far more enjoyable for the public, but will they listen? :(

One thing I've noticed is that the tv does not do the steepness of the slopes justice, having seen a downhill course close up it really is a mountainside.

Is that a bit obvious?  :unsure: 

2 minutes ago, Boof said:

Superb. Couple of close shaves for him there ?

Indeed. I look forward to the video of you doing the same thing coming down the side of Ronas Hill the next time you get a decent snowfall. :)

1 hour ago, graygo said:

One thing I've noticed is that the tv does not do the steepness of the slopes justice, having seen a downhill course close up it really is a mountainside.

Is that a bit obvious?  :unsure: 

Not all , my old boss who was a very keen skier went to a world downhill race and was shocked at how steep it was. A bit like when people watch F1 on telly and say they could do it as it's only driving a car he reckoned he was a very good skier but had to admit after seeing the real deal said he wouldn't even attempt an easy course.

I've skied down a couple of the famous downhill courses. When prepped for racing they are as good as just solid ice all the way down. I believe they spray water on them in the weeks building up to the race to achieve this. I've skied them a couple of weeks after a world cup event and they are still very difficult to navigate due to the ice, nevermind the steepness.

Another thing to consider in downhill is the equipment they're allowed to use. Regardless of build or height you have to use the same size of skis. Very thin, raather tall, really no turning radius and need to be very very sharp.

Downhill skiers, like motorbike road racers, are not wired up right in the head! What they put themselves through and the dangers attached are just nuts!