Take the dialect quiz

Ulysses

John Gentleman

Forth valley (all of it), Borders and (weirdly) Ayrshire (visited once); tip of the north-east (Fraserburgh, never visited); Orkney (Kirkwall, never visited).

I think 46 years downunder might have done something to my accent, or memory, or both!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• redjambo

• Norm

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was reminded of my native dialect early in my Canadian  police career I had reason to tell a native Canadian that he was trespassing in an area, he asked for an explanation and I gave him one I take it in my Edinburgh dialect. He replied "f...k me, he's telling me where I can't be and he doesn't even speak the language"

John Gentleman
On 16/02/2019 at 18:57, Boof said:

Had me firmly Shetland, Orkney, far NE corner of Scotland...and Dundee ?

The first three I can understand but Dundee...? Longest I've spent there is a few hours either side of a visit to Dens! ?

Will give it another go with the full 96 questions.

Probably a lot 'false positives' being generated by people who were brought up in place 'X' but moved to place 'Y', then respond to the questions as though they were still in 'X', even though their actual word usage has changed to 'Y'.

One thing I'm sure of; they're using the Scottish Vowel Length Rule (SVLR) to nail respondents to Scotland.

On 16/02/2019 at 10:43, Lemongrab said:

It got me sort of right, with Galloway and up the west coast. My close to 40 years around Edinburgh haven't had much effect, which is grand.

20 years in Castle Douglas, 30 Edinburgh this year.

Has me anywhere from Dundee to Berwick.

On 17/02/2019 at 09:38, Debut 4 said:

Truth is, I could’ve picked two answers on some of the questions.

Disappointed there wasn’t a ‘radge’ option for the anti social person question ::troll::

I typed in 'wee shite'