Best individual Hearts player performance

iantjambo

Neil McCann is the correct answer (closely followed by Paul Hartley) but special mention for De Vries away to Braga in 2004,  defence didn’t know what to do with him. 

Also, Peter Haring was on course at Easter Road for a memorable performance, not seen anyone boss a midfield like that in a derby at Easter road for many years.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Skippy Doodle

• Smack

• iantjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

loveofthegame

Moving away from the McCann/Hartley shouts which are very worthy, in more recent times I’d go for Milinkovic v Celtic in the 4-0 win last year. He didn’t play at that level close to enough but he was nothing short of top class that day.

13 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

It's been mentioned, but that wasn't our "last game ever", Danny Grainger scored the only goal in that one.

I'm getting old.....

Agree with shouts for Jamie McDonald v Hibs, with the slight reservation that we lost Pat Fenlon shortly after, along with Zibi, one of Hearts greats.

Fuller in that Motherwell game, and the Falkirk game around the same time was immense.

Edited by naeclue

The Goalscoring Knee

Sandy Clark - black eye, boot missing, still putting the ball in the net against Rangers in 1986. Battered their back line ragged the whole match and never gave an inch.

9 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Jim Cruickshank v Celtic in 1970 including a double penalty save from Tommy Gemmill

I was was going to mention that one. Was it a double save? I just remember him diving at full stretch, tips of fingers job.

Peter Oliver also outstanding that day.

Skippy Doodle
9 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

Wayne Foster v Bologna.

I'm only partly joking

good shout - peeved I cannot source any footage from this game or Dnipro home match either - was looking at putting together a European compilation video but still needing to get some more footage before this gets done

i wish jj was my dad

Agree Neil McCann in the LC final is the best but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Sandy Clark v Dukla Prague in 86. He absolutely battered them.

The Goalscoring Knee
1 hour ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Sandy Clark - black eye, boot missing, still putting the ball in the net against Rangers in 1986. Battered their back line ragged the whole match and never gave an inch.

2 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Agree Neil McCann in the LC final is the best but I'm surprised nobody mentioned Sandy Clark v Dukla Prague in 86. He absolutely battered them.

Seems to be a theme developing here. Absolute lion of a player when at his best.

16 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Drew Busby Celtic Tynie 1978.

I'm on the tv when he smacked in his 2nd.

My mate who was/is a Tim is next to me gutted.

I'm jumping about obviously .

Only managed to get to the game as we had found an old barometer at the union canal and sold it .

As with the majority, I came in to post McCann. I was only about 11 at the time of the 96 final and to this day I genuinely believe that's the best game of football I've witnessed. I watched it back not too long ago and it could have been 10 each!

Unfortunately for us, Gasgoine was the difference. Someone posted earlier that McCann's performance was the closest to world class he had seen. I'd use the fact Gasgoine probably had one of his best ever games as a measuring stick for McCann's. The former could be mentioned in that bracket on occasion, the latter certainly wasn't in his shadow for those 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, jake said:

Only managed to get to the game as we had found an old barometer at the union canal and sold it .

Brilliant.

1 hour ago, jake said:

Good wee story there Jake :thumbsup:

Glamorgan Jambo

Craig Levein vs Aberdeen early on in the 85/86 season. Immaculate defending and the highest jump for a header I've ever seen. 

Craig Levein vs Rangers at Tynecastle not long after he'd signed when he was playing on the right wing. Had the Orcs left back tied up in knots.

Hartley in the 4-0 semi final win against 'them'. 

wheatfield to sheffield

McCann League cup final. Lining up to take a corner in injury time as the stadium announcer declares "man of the match - Neil McCann!!!". Slings in a perfect corner onto Weir's head, bang 4-3, but it was too late

43 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Craig Levein vs Aberdeen early on in the 85/86 season. Immaculate defending and the highest jump for a header I've ever seen. 

Craig Levein vs Rangers at Tynecastle not long after he'd signed when he was playing on the right wing. Had the Orcs left back tied up in knots.

Hartley in the 4-0 semi final win against 'them'. 

Think Henry had a world class save that night as well.. 

Gary Mackey for me against Dundee Utd think 85/86 season.

Brilliant all game in a 1/1 draw.

Think Bannon scored a late equaliser.

George Fleming hatrick at Brockville up there as well. 

5 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Loved big Sandy, heart of a lion.

39 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Loved big Sandy, heart of a lion.

And the touch of a ballerina. It was like he had the ball on a string at times. Some of his delicate finishes defied physics. 

A Shoreditch Heart
Just now, Smack said:

And the touch of a ballerina. It was like he had the ball on a string at times. Some of his delicate finishes defied physics. 

he was brilliant for us - such a great player !

Brighton Jambo

Stephane Adam in the 7-1 win versus Dunfermline.  He was a absolutely majestic, best performance I have ever seen by a Hearts player without question.  

Walter Kidd against the late Davie Cooper any time we played Rangers. Cooper was a fantastic player but Zico always seemed to have him in his sky rocket.

haveyouheard 22
7 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

I was was going to mention that one. Was it a double save? I just remember him diving at full stretch, tips of fingers job.

I was at that game, was about 8 remember my Da going on about it on the way home, i didny understand what they were on about

Sure they  mentioned Callahan of celtic and I was confused  a bit that a Labour politician was playing football 

8 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Cruickie saved the penalty then the rebound.

Thomas Flogel at Pittodrie in November 1997. 1-0 down at half time, he ran the show in the second half, scoring twice and provided an assist for Colin Cameron. We won 4-1 and went top of the league. Superb performance.

Tommy Murray for me saw his debut and thought we’ve signed a decent one here, then he went on and sat on the ball against the rangers and the rest is history 

Kevin Keegan, Doddys testimonial in 1983 or thereabouts. I hadn’t appreciated how good he was until that game, struck up a brilliant partnership with Robbo. Ah, what could have been....

Gordon v Bordeaux

Kello v rangers early 2011?

Jamie Mac v the vermin in the LC

Elvis v Falkirk '05

Magic's hattrick at Ibrox

McCann in the LC final

Stevo in the LC final

Stevo v Killie 5-0

SPH in the big semi

Valois in the 5-1

De Vries in the 5-1

Bednar v celtic 06/07

Black/Suso/Driver on May 19th

Driver at Parkhead in LC 2008ish?

Wasn't there a match where we got hammered like 5-0 from Celtic and Anti Niemi still somehow got the man of the match award?