Best individual Hearts player performance

iantjambo

2 minutes ago, Nathan2012 said:

Andy Thorn v Celtic in League Cup in 1996, think he had only been signed one or two days before and just after we had the 4 sent off at Ibrox. Thorn was utterly immense and only played a few games but that game sticks in my mind and obviously made even better by Robbo netting the only goal

I have in mind we signed him on the day, I seem to remember the teams being read out and going "who??" so I don't think he was known before the game. 

Just now, Ferryjambo99 said:

Jamie McDonald in the league cup v hibs deserves a shout 

Unbeatable that night!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Skippy Doodle

• Smack

• iantjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's actually quite difficult this one. I would go as far as to say we've probably seen Berra and Soutar play 10/10 performances since they became a partnership. They are CD though and rarely get plaudits like that. 

Bednar v Celtic when he got the double and should have had a hat trick was a damn good performance. 

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Would agree with the McCann shout but would also say Henry Smith circa 1985 at Parkhead had an outstanding game. He played so well in what I think was a 1-1 draw that he featured on the Saints and Greavsie Show the following week. :)

I remember that! I would have been a kid but I remember being excited that they were talking about a Hearts player. Greavesie made some crack about him having an English sounding name IIRC

Zibi in the 2006 cup semi. 

Otherwise, the best ones have probably been mentioned. As a recent one I'll throw Walker v Rangers in the cathro 4-1 game. Unplayable and a sign of what could have been. 

Big Slim Stylee
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Neil McCann versus Rangers in the 1996 League Cup Final.

Absolutely this. He was outstanding that day.

6 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Zibi in the 2006 cup semi.

Zibi was outstanding for us year in year out. The term 'statue' is thrown about too lightly these days, but..... 

Andy Driver v somebody a few years ago. Skipped round a few flailing bodies and scored a couple, may have been Dundee United. 

The McCann performance in 1996 was astonishing and rangers ended up having 3 men on him...and still couldn’t stop him. 

I reckon Craig Gordon has a couple of 10/10 performances for us. 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The McCann performance in 1996 was astonishing and rangers ended up having 3 men on him...and still couldn’t stop him. 

I reckon Craig Gordon has a couple of 10/10 performances for us. 

Alex Clelland (I think) had to be substituted, as his legs were in knots.

Terry was just superb.

Terry in the League Cup final. Mentioned it on another thread but that was as close to a world class performance from a Hearts player I've seen. 

36 minutes ago, Bozi said:

I was at Parkhead that day, couple days before my 18th birthday and McCann was unbelievably good that day. 

We lost that game, but you could tell we would break the hoodoo soon

I was there as well, only 7 years old mind. Exact same thoughts as you - can remember leaving Celtic Park and there was a real upbeat mood among our fans. In all my years watching Hearts, I've never enjoyed a game so much in which we ended up losing. 

Some really good shouts here, one that sticks out for me in recent years was the midweek game against The Rangers.We won the game 2-0 and Djoums performance that night was outstanding , they just could not get the ball off him, I thought wow now we have a player, unfortunately  he did not replicate that form ever again , still great performance that night.

Adam in the 7-1 v Dunfermline

Henry in a 0-0 at Hibs in 92

Nicky Walker in another 0-0 at Hibs in 93

The latter two made save after save with Hibs throwing everything at us as our unbeaten Derby record marched on.

Not on par with McCann or some of the others mentioned so far, but I seem to remember Scott Severin's last (or one of the last) matches against Rangers at Ibrox being outstanding. Sure it was broadcast on Sky and think he won man of the match. 

Edited by Toggie88

Showing my age here but Donald Ford v Aberdeen at Pittodrie 1971/72 season In my first Hearts game

Ford put us up 1-0 but Harper and Robb put Aberdeen 2-1 ahead and then Jim Townsend got Sent Off late In the 2d Half.The 10 men refused to give In and Ford scored again In the 86th minute and completed his Hat Trick In the 90th minute to take the points back to Gorgie.Aberdeen were top of the League with Celtic and over 20000 were at the game.

For one young laddie In the crowd,a hero was found.

While Neil McCan gave the best performance I have ever seen, this was in an attacking element. We might not have made it if not for a collosal defensive performance. 

So, with that in mund, I feel there simply has to be a place for the ultimate cult hero, Andy Thorne. Drafted in after the shambles at Ibrox where our whole backline was sent off, everybody expected Celtic to pump us, hell even I thought Celtic would pump us. 

Instead a massively overweight, ageing centre back with knackered knees was brought in and produced a defensive display of absolute gold, nothing was passing him that day. 

I think he lost about a stone in the course of the game, played once or twice more and then disappeared back to England into  legend 

1 hour ago, Nathan2012 said:

Andy Thorn v Celtic in League Cup in 1996, think he had only been signed one or two days before and just after we had the 4 sent off at Ibrox. Thorn was utterly immense and only played a few games but that game sticks in my mind and obviously made even better by Robbo netting the only goal

Ah beat me to it, what a performance 

tartofmidlothian
2 hours ago, naeclue said:

Rudi against St Mirren in what was potentially our last ever game, down to 10 men, cue Skacel hat trick.  He just wouldn’t let us lose.

It's been mentioned, but that wasn't our "last game ever", Danny Grainger scored the only goal in that one.

Rudi was outstanding in the game you're talking about, though. I also have fond memories of him in his first ever derby, the 4-0 under Burley.

tartofmidlothian

Maybe not the best performances, but two I remember very fondly after a couple of months of solid defeats, no goals scored and the Berthe game everyone's mentioning on the other thread put us to the bottom of the league. New signing Darren Jackson in the 2-2 against Killie which saw us turn it around and Mickey Cameron a few days later at Tannadice when we hammered them 3-1 and finally got back to our old selves. Those were benchmark performances for what we should expect from a Hearts player, classy, professional and never say die.

Skippy Doodle
2 hours ago, GlasgoJambo said:

You can get the half hour highlights on Youtube and it is a phenomenal game - probably the best game I’ve ever been at. Not the best result of course, or even best atmosphere, or most important but it’s an absolute belter of a match.

McCann was rightly awarded a Coca Cola branded mountain bike for his performance :lol:

Full game below

https://youtu.be/StE8wTxVGfs

Skippy Doodle
27 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Maybe not the best performances, but two I remember very fondly after a couple of months of solid defeats, no goals scored and the Berthe game everyone's mentioning on the other thread put us to the bottom of the league. New signing Darren Jackson in the 2-2 against Killie which saw us turn it around and Mickey Cameron a few days later at Tannadice when we hammered them 3-1 and finally got back to our old selves. Those were benchmark performances for what we should expect from a Hearts player, classy, professional and never say die.

N Lincs Jambo

Wow a far better thread than the other one. Going only on games I attended the clear winner is Neil McCann at the LC final in 96. Honourable mentions to the following:

Willie Gibson 4-0 v Killie 76-77

Willie Gibson 3-4 v Celtic 76-77

Drew Busby 2-0 v Celtic 78-79

Robbo 4-0 v Partick 82-83

Robbo 3-2 v Hibs 83-84

Everyone 4-1 v Arabs 87-88

Scott Crabbe 1-2 v Celtic (Darkheid 91-92)

Paul Hartley v Hibs 4-0 Hampden 2006

Rudi Skacel v Hibs 5-1 Hampden 2012

Ian Black v Hibs 5-1 Hampden 2012

Ok I know I have deviated from the OP’s original question but all these performances deserve a mention 

Neil McCann 1996 League Cup Final (by a mile). Big gap and then...

Derek Ferguson 1993 Scottish Cup Semi

Ian Black 2012 Scottish Cup Final

Paul Hartley 2006 Scottish Cup Semi

Mark De Vries SPL 2002

5 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Wow a far better thread than the other one. Going only on games I attended the clear winner is Neil McCann at the LC final in 96. Honourable mentions to the following:

Willie Gibson 4-0 v Killie 76-77

Willie Gibson 3-4 v Celtic 76-77

Drew Busby 2-0 v Celtic 78-79

Robbo 4-0 v Partick 82-83

Robbo 3-2 v Hibs 83-84

Everyone 4-1 v Arabs 87-88

Scott Crabbe 1-2 v Celtic (Darkheid 91-92)

Paul Hartley v Hibs 4-0 Hampden 2006

Rudi Skacel v Hibs 5-1 Hampden 2012

Ian Black v Hibs 5-1 Hampden 2012

Ok I know I have deviated from the OP’s original question but all these performances deserve a mention 

Some absolute crackers there Lincs :thumbsup:

Skippy Doodle
8 minutes ago, Zico said:

Neil McCann 1996 League Cup Final (by a mile). Big gap and then...

Derek Ferguson 1993 Scottish Cup Semi

Ian Black 2012 Scottish Cup Final

Paul Hartley 2006 Scottish Cup Semi

Mark De Vries SPL 2002

Spot on with the Ferguson shout 

5 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Hartley vs Hibs in the Scottish cup semi... everything he touched turned to gold.

4F64A3E1-355F-4FDC-B1BB-C4D94273D375.jpeg

N Lincs Jambo
17 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Some absolute crackers there Lincs :thumbsup:

Cheers Morgan, could have mentioned many more cracking games but they would have been more like the Arabs game 87 with just an amazing team performance. Leipzig 76 and Dundee 6-3 late 80s spring to mind

6 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Cheers Morgan, could have mentioned many more cracking games but they would have been more like the Arabs game 87 with just an amazing team performance. Leipzig 76 and Dundee 6-3 late 80s spring to mind

4 minutes ago, Rupert Custard said:

Willie Gibson v Leipzig back in 1976. Only a young boy then but that occasion will never leave me.

Leipzig 1976 :wow:

The ‘original’ 5-1. :biggrin:

Maybe not the best ever but Uche Ikpeazu against Celtic this season goes down as one of the best performances in maroon I've seen for some time. Made Celtics centre half's his bitch that day, set up the winner and collapsed at ft, not through a lack of fitness, but his determination that day was second to none. If Dikamona is the Jambo Soldier, Uche that day was the commander, a warrior! 

N Lincs Jambo
10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Leipzig 1976 :wow:

The ‘original’ 5-1. :biggrin:

And one of the last (and probably best) occasions where the Hearts fans sang YNWA. Can’t recall it ever being sung after 77. At that game it was being sung all around the ground shortly before the 5th and again on the pitch after full-time looking back up towards the tv cameras

Valois V Hibs 5-1 game. Takes some doing to get the Man of the Match award when another player scores 4 goals in a derby. 

Mark Dr Vries versus Bordeaux

Took a pain killer injection to play in this match and was immense. 

Arnold Rothstein
3 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I mentioned Barr away to Falkirk as one of the worst performances I've seen, but the other side of the coin is Suso in that same game. He was absolutely incredible that night and you could tell he was shattered coming off the park.

A proper winger who tormented his full back all night.

Was just about to post this. He was incredible that day and didn’t deserve to be on the losing side. 

Edited by Arnold Rothstein

Allowayjambo1874

Just to throw a different one in there, anyone recall a John Colquhoun’s debut v Celtic at Tynecastle? 1-1 draw where he scored but McStay equalised in last minute but he terrorised the Celtic defence that day. On par with McCann LC final for wing play, sensational. 

6 hours ago, HoGwash said:

Neil McCann, league cup final 1997. Nearly got us to our first trophy in my lifetime.

Fortunately didn't have too much longer to wait.

This. Without doubt the best 45 mins ive ever seen from a player in Maroon

Dagger Is Back
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

Neil McCann versus Rangers in the 1996 League Cup Final.

This in absolute spades. Rangers doubled up on him second half and still couldn’t stop him.

He was unplayable 

Edited by Dagger Is Back

Stevenson against St Mirren was the first one that popped in to my mind. He was a man possessed that day and didn’t deserve to be on the losing side.

Craig Gordon was also unbeatable in Bordeaux. He was very raw and young but flung himself at everything and managed to keep it out.

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Valois V Hibs 5-1 game. Takes some doing to get the Man of the Match award when another player scores 4 goals in a derby. 

Mark Dr Vries versus Bordeaux

Took a pain killer injection to play in this match and was immense. 

To be fair, it was a live televised game and I think it may have been Sandy Clark who was co-commentating and he awarded Valois The MOM at 3-1.

Gary Mackay towards the end of his career. Final game of the season when we potentially could be relegated. Ran his heart out that day for the club.