Thistle Cup Game - Protest

August Landmesser

Protest at Thistle Cup Game  

514 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of a protest against the KO time at the Thistle cup game?

• Yes
    • No
    • St Johnstone

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/03/19 at 18:59

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

You obviously didn't read the article that mentions it's 20k for a Tv match in the cup.

I have noticed a few posters referring to these figures...the journo is incorrect, do you have a link or know who published this information?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boab

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• August Landmesser

• Phil Dunphy

Find all this chat about chucking tennis balls onto the pitch amusing as you are not even allowed to take a can of juice into the stadiums .

People could be refused entry if the stewards have been instructed to search everyone not to mention the possibility of being arrested for throwing missiles.

Protests over the domination of TV companies over the wishes and needs of supporters should really be conducted on a national basis by representatives from all clubs.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What's that got to do with my post and the apparent appetite for MNF ?

What's a Tv figure between 2 world powers got to do with an appetite for Scottish football. Send me the viewing figures please in 2 weeks 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

I have noticed a few posters referring to these figures...the journo is incorrect, do you have a link or know who published this information?

If the journalists incorrect do you have the correct information. I would welcome the true facts

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

You clearly have not red the details of the deal

Far more money coming into Scottish Football

That is a fact

Where is the information?

If someone can publish the numbers we can take a look how lucrative the deal matched against attendance. 

My thoughts at the moment are games played at less social hours will suffer. 

Can't see many offering proof this is a lucrative deal. 

Certainly more spread of live football that's undeniable 

Only thing I can see is newspaper reports of a £150M Sky deal over five years and a £20M deal over six years with BBC/Premier.

Red tops so not really useful in debate purposes.

In all honesty, we're off on a tangent now. If people are pissed off, they just won't go.....or can't go. That's the facts of the matter.

Nothing will change as not enough people will do that to effect any change.

There you have it.

10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What's that got to do with my post and the apparent appetite for MNF ?

The main problem isn't the day of the week, but the time of the kick-off. 

A 7.45 kick-off would be easier for more to get through from Edinburgh (or elsewhere) for. 

Obviously young fans still at school etc probably won't be going on a school-night, but could/would if it was at a reasonable time at the weekend, or even Friday evening. A 7.05 would probably be more acceptable for a Friday evening match than for a Monday. Due to more people finishing work or school earlier on a Friday.

6 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

The main problem isn't the day of the week, but the time of the kick-off. 

A 7.45 kick-off would be easier for more to get through from Edinburgh (or elsewhere) for. 

Obviously young fans still at school etc probably won't be going on a school-night, but could/would if it was at a reasonable time at the weekend, or even Friday evening. A 7.05 would probably be more acceptable for a Friday evening match than for a Monday. Due to more people finishing work or school earlier on a Friday.

That is the issue.

BBC have form for this, showing games when there is no public transport to get fans there in time for KO. Doesn't affect all but still makes it a nonsense.

Maroon Sailor
54 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

What's a Tv figure between 2 world powers got to do with an appetite for Scottish football. Send me the viewing figures please in 2 weeks 

Who cares about viewing figures ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
25 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Who cares about viewing figures ?

You apparently. You raised it, viewing figures for Chelsea v Manchester United.

As much as I love Hearts, quite frankly using that as a barometer for Partick Thistle v Hearts is astonishing.

BBC mainstream programming shoved to the side for 2 giants of the game, whilst the Scottish Cup is shoved onto some new channel that will probably fall by the wayside in time, whilst BBC mainstream programming is in full flow on BBC 1.

Then how much more do the BBC offer for FA Cup compared to Scottish Cup. We know from the motion in Parliament the league deals are embarrassingly disproportionate, I would have huge doubts this is a "money spinner".

Would be delighted to see all the facts after the game, and if it is a financial boon, then I will hold both hands up and say, yeah 7.5 on a Monday is a shite ko time but its for the greater good.

But I doubt it.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

You apparently. You raised it, viewing figures for Chelsea v Manchester United.

As much as I love Hearts, quite frankly using that as a barometer for Partick Thistle v Hearts is astonishing.

BBC mainstream programming shoved to the side for 2 giants of the game, whilst the Scottish Cup is shoved onto some new channel that will probably fall by the wayside in time, whilst BBC mainstream programming is in full flow on BBC 1.

Then how much more do the BBC offer for FA Cup compared to Scottish Cup. We know from the motion in Parliament the league deals are embarrassingly disproportionate, I would have huge doubts this is a "money spinner".

Would be delighted to see all the facts after the game, and if it is a financial boon, then I will hold both hands up and say, yeah 7.5 on a Monday is a shite ko time but its for the greater good.

But I doubt it.

It was raised by the media and proves there is an appetite for MNF

I don't care about it as a fan.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It was raised by the media and proves there is an appetite for MNF

I don't care about it as a fan.

But you mentioned it. It proves there is an appetite for MNF in England for 2 giants of world football. It bears zero relation to Scottish football. What were the viewing figures for Gleanavon against Glentoran the other game on Monday night?

Maroon Sailor
48 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

But you mentioned it. It proves there is an appetite for MNF in England for 2 giants of world football. It bears zero relation to Scottish football. What were the viewing figures for Gleanavon against Glentoran the other game on Monday night?

You're right maybe we should only have the Celtic v Rangers matches on live telly period let alone for a MNF.

Guaranteed viewing figures and will bear a relation to 2 giants of world football.

The Treasurer

Okay, let me get this right

I've got my match ticket but I'm not sure if I've to take a tennis ball and chuck it on the pitch or just try and get behind the team in what is a huge game for the club.

7 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I've got my match ticket but I'm not sure if I've to take a tennis ball and chuck it on the pitch or just try and get behind the team in what is a huge game for the club.

Both, if the poll stays the same !

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You're right maybe we should only have the Celtic v Rangers matches on live telly period let alone for a MNF.

Guaranteed viewing figures and will bear a relation to 2 giants of world football.

What a terribly childish response. 

You clearly don't have the data at hand. Nor do I at least try and make a grown up case for MNF.

Any relative Scottish games on a Monday?

Hibs Aberdeen etc.

Trying hard to be patient 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
58 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Paint your tennis ball maroon with the letters F T H emblazoned upon it

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

What a terribly childish response. 

You clearly don't have the data at hand. Nor do I at least try and make a grown up case for MNF.

Any relative Scottish games on a Monday?

Hibs Aberdeen etc.

Trying hard to be patient 

If you don't like MNF fair enough. If you care about the viewing figures for the match fair enough.

If you want to compare at least compare like for like.

Write to the TV broadcasters and show your disdain about Hearts being shown on live telly as the viewing figures will be pish.

On 18/02/2019 at 19:34, CJGJ said:

A protest because a match is on a Monday night.////simply a joke

Our club signed a deal, knew it would involve Monday night times and brings in far more money than before 

Lets face it we are hardly subject to this on a regular basis and it could impact on the team

Get your yellow jacket on, travel over to France and protest there

**** what the club signs.

We can protest as fans being (repeatedly) inconvenienced for TV. No to Monday night football is a good message to push before this becomes the norm for league games too.

I can't wait for Liverpool fans to do some protest and you to be sucking up to it all ? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
48 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If you don't like MNF fair enough. If you care about the viewing figures for the match fair enough.

If you want to compare at least compare like for like.

Write to the TV broadcasters and show your disdain about Hearts being shown on live telly as the viewing figures will be pish.

Why do I need to write to the broadcasters when you quote them. To suit yourself.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, kila said:

**** what the club signs.

We can protest as fans being (repeatedly) inconvenienced for TV. No to Monday night football is a good message to push before this becomes the norm for league games too.

I can't wait for Liverpool fans to do some protest and you to be sucking up to it all ? 

One of the Aberdeen fans at work was at a session with their executives. Saturday/Sunday night kick offs could become far more common place, not the tea time kick off either. Of course  not, where possible that will be held for the English leagues.

You take the money at a price

5 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

If the journalists incorrect do you have the correct information. I would welcome the true facts

Both teams get £32,500 for a live match in the Scottish Cup. I think the journalist quoted must be using the League Cup numbers which are £12,500 per team in the group stage and £21,500 for the knockout rounds. In both Cups the arrangements for the final are different.

I actually did some calculations on the other Partick thread. After the 5% SFA take from the gate, 20% to the home club, excluded comp tickets, etc. the difference for Hearts is about £2k for a full house with no TV compared with 50% full and TV money. This is based on a very rough assumption that 80% of tickets are full price, 15% concession and 5% kids...

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, JamboGraham said:

Both teams get £32,500 for a live match in the Scottish Cup. I think the journalist quoted must be using the League Cup numbers which are £12,500 per team in the group stage and £21,500 for the knockout rounds. In both Cups the arrangements for the final are different.

I actually did some calculations on the other Partick thread. After the 5% SFA take from the gate, 20% to the home club, excluded comp tickets, etc. the difference for Hearts is about £2k for a full house with no TV compared with 50% full and TV money. This is based on a very rough assumption that 80% of tickets are full price, 15% concession and 5% kids...

If attendance is say 6 to 7k even.  7k upwards it's a good deal 6 and under self defeating based on a Saturday full house of 10500?

Would that be fair in rough maths?

Of course that's gate money. 

The home team would miss out on all of the benefits of hospitality and catering 

55 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

If attendance is say 6 to 7k even.  7k upwards it's a good deal 6 and under self defeating based on a Saturday full house of 10500?

Would that be fair in rough maths?

Of course that's gate money. 

The home team would miss out on all of the benefits of hospitality and catering 

Not far off...for the away side this tie is pretty neutral either way...if more than 7k then it’s a modest return. As you say the home side suffers most here as their 20% levy will be down, and of course catering, programmes, hospitality, etc.

What I don’t know is the split of the additional prize fund to see what shortfall that makes up. You can see why the bigger clubs opposed the live match fee reduction. It’s a £50k drop in income before a single ticket has been sold...it does make sense for the lower league sides though...