Thistle Cup Game - Protest

August Landmesser

Protest at Thistle Cup Game  

514 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of a protest against the KO time at the Thistle cup game?

• Yes
    • No
    • St Johnstone

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/03/19 at 18:59

15 hours ago, FWJ said:

Inverness and Dingwall are only 20 minutes apart and the traffic doesn’t quite compare to the M8.

Tractors all ower the shoap.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boab

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• August Landmesser

• Phil Dunphy

12 hours ago, Zico said:

Well then you can do **** all and let those who aren’t happy do whatever they like to show their displeasure. Whatever it ‘achieves’, at least they’re doing something.

And it clearly worked in Germany. “But that’s not the same” etc. 

If you think the German football model and the Scottish one are, in any way, similar then you’re quite misinformed on German football. 

portobellojambo1

This is a good article about the game. For those who think getting a journalist onside to help with any protest they are considering then the guy that wrote this may be worth contacting.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17437516.graeme-mcgarry-supporter-unhappiness-is-too-big-a-price-to-pay-for-television-deal/?fbclid=IwAR39_z2CBPFg36n9-QPDzFARHjTsZCcqPEFIcfQ_IhUJn1eoUAL-jKserPY

2 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

This is a good article about the game. For those who think getting a journalist onside to help with any protest they are considering then the guy that wrote this may be worth contacting.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/17437516.graeme-mcgarry-supporter-unhappiness-is-too-big-a-price-to-pay-for-television-deal/?fbclid=IwAR39_z2CBPFg36n9-QPDzFARHjTsZCcqPEFIcfQ_IhUJn1eoUAL-jKserPY

It's a good piece. I wasn't aware of how much TV money has dropped for atie like this. Hopefully a tipping point soon when clubs realise they are out of pocket because of KO times on TV are running at a loss.

Sounds cruel but bring it on.

Maybe a change is on the horizon in Scotland.

portobellojambo1
1 minute ago, Boab said:

It's a good piece. I wasn't aware of how much TV money has dropped for atie like this. Hopefully a tipping point soon when clubs realise they are out of pocket because of KO times on TV are running at a loss.

Sounds cruel but bring it on.

Maybe a change is on the horizon in Scotland.

There are two clubs who have been aware of the situation for a little while now, one of them is Celtic and the other is us. I remember attending a meeting at which Ann Budge spoke and it was confirmed that HMFC lose money when a game at Tynecastle is live on TV.

14 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

There are two clubs who have been aware of the situation for a little while now, one of them is Celtic and the other is us. I remember attending a meeting at which Ann Budge spoke and it was confirmed that HMFC lose money when a game at Tynecastle is live on TV.

That will be surprising to many, mate, me included. Surely clubs, if losing money, will try and effect some change here ?

6 minutes ago, haveyouheard 22 said:

How do you lose money on a live game at home against Celtic ?? 

Last two home Scottish Cup ties against the demons have been 10K and 12K. I can well believe it.

haveyouheard 22
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Last two home Scottish Cup ties against the demons have been 10K and 12K. I can well believe it.

Fair enough thought there was more 

39 minutes ago, haveyouheard 22 said:

How do you lose money on a live game at home against Celtic ?? 

Surely it’s a case of making less money, rather than losing money...

3 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Surely it’s a case of making less money, rather than losing money...

Indeed. 

However, it’s impossible to gauge what the crowd would have been if the game wasn’t on TV. 

49 minutes ago, Boab said:

That will be surprising to many, mate, me included. Surely clubs, if losing money, will try and effect some change here ?

The challenge here though is that it was actually the clubs (specifically lower league sides) who campaigned and voted to change the TV money distribution set up. The idea being that by putting more TV money into the overall prize pot per round, and less for TV, it more fairly rewards progress in the tournament rather than winning the TV selection jackpot. This current model is best for the game in general (in theory).

August Landmesser
3 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

That's a great piece, thanks for sharing. I still think some sort of protest is needed, this repeated inconvenience can't go on for ever.

I have still to try and get time off work to get to this game, if I can't do that then I'll be at home chucking tennis balls at my telly. That'll show 'em!

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

That’s unsustainable (and not a dog at Ann) and needs addressed asap

Is that why celtic home games are never on the box?

Edited by Nookie Bear

PeterintheRain
On 15/02/2019 at 18:23, 4marsbars said:

Downtrodden? Quite the opposite.

As others have pointed out, the reason for the change in time is to accommodate the new BBC Scotland flagship news programme at 9.00.

This new channel arises not from our downtrodden-ness but from the assertiveness of our nationalists who have long campaigned for such a channel and such a news programme. Once it exists (launch date is 24 February) don't let football get in the way. Across Europe, evening games kick of at 7.45 (or 8.45 in most of Europe). In Scotland, thanks to the actions of Scots, we won't manage that any more (for games on BBC).

So, in fact, the opposite is true. This is an example of our over-assertive politicians, a decision made entirely in Scotland. And if that means that the normal kick-off time for evening football in Scotland has to change, it is the downtrodden fans who suffer. But those treading on us are Scottish.

Well. That's a take and a half.

Others may point out that the Ebc  couldn't give a shiney shite about Scotland and are palming us off with the cheapest and most easily cancelled option instead of us having our own TV like every other country, federal state, province and devolved territory on the planet.

Did you not notice the furore over the EBC inviting a sevconian OO bigot and putting him, his mother and son front and centre of the audience, allowing him to rant pish and then selecting said pish as one of their twater talking points?

This is the EBC telling us to **** off back to our hovels.   Cheered to the rafters by quisling cringers like you.

47 minutes ago, PeterintheRain said:

Well. That's a take and a half.

Others may point out that the Ebc  couldn't give a shiney shite about Scotland and are palming us off with the cheapest and most easily cancelled option instead of us having our own TV like every other country, federal state, province and devolved territory on the planet.

Did you not notice the furore over the EBC inviting a sevconian OO bigot and putting him, his mother and son front and centre of the audience, allowing him to rant pish and then selecting said pish as one of their twater talking points?

This is the EBC telling us to **** off back to our hovels.   Cheered to the rafters by quisling cringers like you.

Quisling? But you’re ‘civic nationalists’ of course. I think you’ve gone slightly off-message here.

1 hour ago, Rudolf said:

Indeed. 

However, it’s impossible to gauge what the crowd would have been if the game wasn’t on TV. 

At 3 on a Saturday surely it would be a sell-out?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Absolutely on the money. Selling the game short again 

4 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

I was referring to the fact that Ann Budge supposedly said we lost money when a game was shown live on TV. 

The poster i replied to said we wouldn’t lose money but would get less and I agreed with him. 

However, we can never know how much, if any, as no one can predict what the crowd would be if it wasn’t on TV. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Sold out at Motherwell live on a Sunday so 5k or so probably right. However no use to me whatsoever travelling from Aberdeen so TV it is. Plenty will be of the same mind. 

Half day fuel ticket Glasgow traffic late night. 

It's a lot of boxes to tick at the start of a working week 

On 15/02/2019 at 21:03, jambodavie said:

I take your point Mitch and agree to a certain extent. What I would say is that the Texaco Cup game  would most likely have been played on a traditional game day and ko time. It would be up to you if you wanted to make the effort to attend the game.

What we are experiencing now is games being played on non traditional days and times which take ever increasing commitment, free time and expense to attend. Some people will make the commitment, others can’t because of previous commitments or simply because they don’t want to.

I always start the season with a shiny new season ticket with the expectation that I will attend all home games but the increasing reality is that I will miss a Friday game or a televised game on a Sunday for example and I resent the fact that I miss these games knowing full well that I make the effort to keep Saturdays and most Wednesdays free so I can get to games but I simply can’t keep all days free,  every day during the season , just in case Hearts have a game. 

I wanted 3 days off for London but i was 4 days away. 

Being based in Glasgow and working every other Saturday the weeknight game suits me better. However I totally empathise to the large number of fans who will now have to miss out due to the scheduling. Count me in on any protest, the TV companies have far too much power over our game.

On 15/02/2019 at 15:14, Johnny Sandiego said:

Not sure where BT come into this? The Scottish FA (Ian Maxwell) agreed the TV rights deal for the Scottish cup which was a combo of BBC and Premier Sports. 

Doncaster is in the charge of the SPFL who agree a seperate TV deal for League and League cup games.

My bad, for some reason I thought the cup games was on BT. I blame old age

On 16/02/2019 at 20:11, 4marsbars said:

But it would mean 4 hearts fans not making it because of work and other reasons.

You could not make it up.

On 16/02/2019 at 19:11, PeterintheRain said:

We (Scots) voted yes.  Try harder Yoon.

Get your independence chat the **** off this message board thanks. 

??

I think the size of the Hearts support yesterday was clear evidence of the effect live TV and silly KO times are having on gates.

Back in September with a 3.00pm KO on a Saturday afternoon we near enough filled that big stand behind the goals.

Yesterday 12.15pm KO I don't know the exact figures but would be surprised  if we made 1000.

Maroon Sailor

Chelsea v Man Utd kick off at 19:30

Usually 20:00 for a Monday Night match in England

You think the Weeg is a nightmare at rush hour ?

I wonder if Man U fans (if there are any in Manchester) are up in arms about this ?

You could look at the positive side of this in that some folks who don't normally get a chance to go will be able to go.  :thumbsup:

Hearts will sell their paltry allocation irrespective of whether it's the die-hards or the footloose & fancy free cool cats.  ?

August Landmesser

For all my big talk about protesting, it now turns out I can't take the time off work to get through to the game in time. So, I'll be writing a strongly worded letter instead! That'll show 'em...

I would love to see some form of statement made by anyone who does make it through though. Mighty pissed off to be missing this game.

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

For all my big talk about protesting, it now turns out I can't take the time off work to get through to the game in time. So, I'll be writing a strongly worded letter instead! That'll show 'em...

I would love to see some form of statement made by anyone who does make it through though. Mighty pissed off to be missing this game.

Pissed off to not being able to attend the game ?

You can still catch it on the telly

Edited by Maroon Sailor

On 16/02/2019 at 17:33, portobellojambo1 said:

Did she specify which games she was referring to?

I find it hard to believe that we would lose money on games against Hibs, Rangers and Celtic as they usually sell out. I can easily see us losing money on games against Motherwell, Inverness and so on.

See if you want to protest the kick off time for this game, then don’t go. Go to 1874 instead and give your money directly to the club. 

7 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

See if you want to protest the kick off time for this game, then don’t go. Go to 1874 instead and give your money directly to the club. 

Sense at last.

Go away, you're not wanted here.

55 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Or, go to the game and give up your BBC licence fee. That's giving both clubs half your money and them f all !

People may scoff but it's TV that are dictating this. If people feel really strongly about it, don't subscribe to it !

12 minutes ago, Boab said:

Or, go to the game and give up your BBC licence fee. That's giving both clubs half your money and them f all !

People may scoff but it's TV that are dictating this. If people feel really strongly about it, don't subscribe to it !

The BBC aren’t going to notice a couple of thousand people not paying their TV licence, just like Sky wouldn’t notice a few thousand people cancelling their subscriptions. 

Hearts will sell their allocation comfortably tomorrow, but this way you are giving directly to the club and making up for any shortfall from a smaller attendance at the game itself. 

August Landmesser
16 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

The BBC aren’t going to notice a couple of thousand people not paying their TV licence, just like Sky wouldn’t notice a few thousand people cancelling their subscriptions. 

Hearts will sell their allocation comfortably tomorrow, but this way you are giving directly to the club and making up for any shortfall from a smaller attendance at the game itself. 

The BBC would notice a couple of thousand people protesting at the game though, particularly if the protest delayed the start. It is possible, and entirely reasonable, to attend the game but also to be angry at the KO time.

I might take a wander down to 1874 - that's a good plan.

1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

The BBC would notice a couple of thousand people protesting at the game though, particularly if the protest delayed the start. It is possible, and entirely reasonable, to attend the game but also to be angry at the KO time.

I might take a wander down to 1874 - that's a good plan.

There won’t be a protest at Firhill, though. I’m not crazy on the kickoff time myself, but it’s not going to stop me getting a ticket and going through. 

Any protest delaying the start of the game would only harm Hearts going forward. And I’m not willing to chuck the club under the bus because of something out of their control. 

Maroon Sailor

It would be worse for lots more Hearts fans if it was a 19:45 kick off on a Wednesday night without live TV coverage.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

August Landmesser
2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

There won’t be a protest at Firhill, though. I’m not crazy on the kickoff time myself, but it’s not going to stop me getting a ticket and going through. 

Any protest delaying the start of the game would only harm Hearts going forward. And I’m not willing to chuck the club under the bus because of something out of their control. 

No, there probably won't be a protest - which in itself is depressing. However, if there was one, I don't see how it could tangibly harm Hearts - we don't have strict liability in Scotland, and (as far as I remember) we've never been punished as a club in the past for fans chucking things onto the pitch before (flares, coins, pies etc.)

23 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

You're right about them not noticing but I think, then, people will do what they did yesterday which is not go !

I think we're realistic enough to admit things will not change in the way football is run these days but it is a bit sad to see a stand not even a quarter full.

When the allocation is taken up, there will be a lot of told you so's and what's the problem etc but what can people do but say ram it, i'll watch it at home ?

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It would be worse for lots more Hearts fans if it was a 19:45 kick off on a Wednesday night without live TV coverage.

Sorry, why ?