Thistle Cup Game - Protest

August Landmesser

Protest at Thistle Cup Game  

514 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of a protest against the KO time at the Thistle cup game?

• Yes
    • No
    • St Johnstone

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/03/19 at 18:59

1 minute ago, August Landmesser said:

No, there probably won't be a protest - which in itself is depressing. However, if there was one, I don't see how it could tangibly harm Hearts - we don't have strict liability in Scotland, and (as far as I remember) we've never been punished as a club in the past for fans chucking things onto the pitch before (flares, coins, pies etc.)

Has there ever been a case of Hearts supporters publicly encouraging each other to throw tennis balls into the field of play with the express intent to delay kick off?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boab

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• August Landmesser

• Phil Dunphy

1 minute ago, Boab said:

You're right about them not noticing but I think, then, people will do what they did yesterday which is not go !

I think we're realistic enough to admit things will not change in the way football is run these days but it is a bit sad to see a stand not even a quarter full.

When the allocation is taken up, there will be a lot of told you so's and what's the problem etc but what can people do but say ram it, i'll watch it at home ?

What the “boycotters” seem to forget is that, by not going, someone else will take the ticket. The allocation will be sold and Hearts will get the money for the gate receipts and they won’t be that bothered. 

Those who’re proudly telling us that they intend to watch it in the house will notice that they’re not at the game. No-one else will.  

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Boab said:

Sorry, why ?

Erm because more Hearts fans wouldn't be able to watch a live match involving their team

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

What the “boycotters” seem to forget is that, by not going, someone else will take the ticket. The allocation will be sold and Hearts will get the money for the gate receipts and they won’t be that bothered. 

Those who’re proudly telling us that they intend to watch it in the house will notice that they’re not at the game. No-one else will.  

That's all they can do though. I don't think they are proud about anything...more pissed off that a game of this stature being played at a daft time on a Monday night.

Hearts will be a bit out of pocket, as will Thistle because gate receipts will be down for this game. I'm pretty sure of that.

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Erm because more Hearts fans wouldn't be able to watch a live match involving their team

So what's the answer ?

Show every Hearts away game live ?

I suppose you probably can given all manner of streams etc these days but it means the match experience is a thing of the past.

Ach, i'm bumping my gums I suppose but I don't like the way football is changing. Call it old age !!

August Landmesser
13 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Has there ever been a case of Hearts supporters publicly encouraging each other to throw tennis balls into the field of play with the express intent to delay kick off?

Fairly certain that the Scottish Cup competition regulations don't cover 'fan conspiracy to delay the kick-off'. I could be wrong though, the SFA is a massively bureaucratic collection of jobsworths

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Boab said:

So what's the answer ?

Show every Hearts away game live ?

I suppose you probably can given all manner of streams etc these days but it means the match experience is a thing of the past.

Ach, i'm bumping my gums I suppose but I don't like the way football is changing. Call it old age !!

The match day experience is still there - just different 

All seater stadiums has seen to that

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Of course, mate. I've read your past posts and you've been going to see the Hearts before me.

If this tie was 30-40 years ago, we'd both be there with bells on, with a few thousand others, watching it on a Sat afternoon with no TV.

Just need to suck it up !

13 minutes ago, Boab said:

That's all they can do though. I don't think they are proud about anything...more pissed off that a game of this stature being played at a daft time on a Monday night.

Hearts will be a bit out of pocket, as will Thistle because gate receipts will be down for this game. I'm pretty sure of that.

From the home support, I’d agree. But the Hearts end will sell out. 

2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

From the home support, I’d agree. But the Hearts end will sell out. 

Aye, but we halve the gate !

Sorry to be picky but we will be out of pocket.

9 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Fairly certain that the Scottish Cup competition regulations don't cover 'fan conspiracy to delay the kick-off'. I could be wrong though, the SFA is a massively bureaucratic collection of jobsworths

Clubs are held responsible for the actions of their supporters. While one missile from the supporters is likely to be chalked up as one arsehole with too much drink in him, a potential 2,000 tennis balls being chucked onto the park will result in some sort of disciplinary action against the club. Of that you could be certain. 

2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Aye, but we halve the gate !

Sorry to be picky but we will be out of pocket.

And that’s just the way it is. I know how the gate receipts work in Scottish Cup ties. 

If Hearts supporters are that concerned about Hearts being left out of pocket, buy a ticket for the home end too. 

August Landmesser
5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Clubs are held responsible for the actions of their supporters. While one missile from the supporters is likely to be chalked up as one arsehole with too much drink in him, a potential 2,000 tennis balls being chucked onto the park will result in some sort of disciplinary action against the club. Of that you could be certain. 

Cool. I guess the SFA are still dotting the I's and crossing the T's on Hibs' disciplinary action for the 2016 cup final. Can't rush these things after all!

And that’s just the way it is. I know how the gate receipts work in Scottish Cup ties. 

If Hearts supporters are that concerned about Hearts being left out of pocket, buy a ticket for the home end too. 

Ha, aye, mate, like that'll happen.

I'm not that concerned. If Hearts are a wee bit out of pocket, it lies at the door of TV running the game, with the clubs consent.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
22 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Odd that theory. There wont be 2000 people to chuck them, crowd akin to Motherwell yesterday I reckon.

If its only 20k a game now, it does seem to be a self defeating deal this one.

Reconciled myself that TV deal is a TV deal and the only way you can change that is by not going, so the clubs refuse the pitiful offer next time round.

Painful night of listening to McLeod and Dodds it is

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Odd that theory. There wont be 2000 people to chuck them, crowd akin to Motherwell yesterday I reckon.

Reconciled myself that TV deal is a TV deal and the only way you can change that is by not going, so the clubs refuse the pitiful offer next time round.

We’ll shift our allocation. Of that, I’m fairly certain. 

19 minutes ago, Boab said:

Ha, aye, mate, like that'll happen.

I'm not that concerned. If Hearts are a wee bit out of pocket, it lies at the door of TV running the game, with the clubs consent.

Can’t be that bothered about Hearts being out of pocket then ??‍♂️

24 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Cool. I guess the SFA are still dotting the I's and crossing the T's on Hibs' disciplinary action for the 2016 cup final. Can't rush these things after all!

I don’t think any right minded individual believes that Hibs and Rangers shouldn’t have been punished for that day. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Not having a go at the OP but if this particular protest were to go ahead, a couple of Wimbledon ballboys would have it under control in seconds.

I do think our allocation will be close to sold out mind.

August Landmesser

I don’t think any right minded individual believes that Hibs and Rangers shouldn’t have been punished for that day. 

Well, quite. But neither of them were.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not sure myself. I hope we do, but its not such an appealing fixture all of a sudden, even on the telly.

Tell me why.......

45 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Aye the great expearience of sitting in rush hour traffic but no doubt that never entered the minds of the folk that

Be lucky to get 6000 at this game which would have been a 10000 sell out on the saturday.

Hearts being out of pocket will be none of my doing. Don't be obtuse.

You're better than that. 

I never suggested Hearts fans buy up home tickets to offset the loss !

3 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Well, quite. But neither of them were.

No, they weren’t. But, in Scottish football, whataboutery doesn’t work. 

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Not sure myself. I hope we do, but its not such an appealing fixture all of a sudden, even on the telly.

Tell me why.......

Because of the nature of the game. A Scottish Cup quarter final will bring a decent enough crowd. I can’t see why we wouldn’t shift the 2,000 of them. 

We’ll most certainly see a bigger crowd than we did yesterday. 

August Landmesser
Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

It wasn't whataboutery - it was an illustration of precedent; supporters of two clubs disrupted a game (causing a lot more damage to the stadium and pitch than a handful of tennis balls would) in the SFA's premier cup competition, and neither club was punished.

4 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye the great expearience of sitting in rush hour traffic but no doubt that never entered the minds of the folk that

Be lucky to get 6000 at this game which would have been a 10000 sell out on the saturday.

That would mean 8,000 Partick fans in attendance.

Don't know if there's 8,000 Partick fans in existence.

3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Because of the nature of the game. A Scottish Cup quarter final will bring a decent enough crowd. I can’t see why we wouldn’t shift the 2,000 of them. 

We’ll most certainly see a bigger crowd than we did yesterday. 

Of course we will.

We'll sell this out no problem, and there's likely to be a decent turn out from Partick given the pricing and the fact they're on a bit of a roll and will fancy their chances.

2 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

That would mean 8,000 Partick fans in attendance.

Don't know if there's 8,000 Partick fans in existence.

I think, although impossible to verify, that if the game had a better KO, Thistle may have accommodated more Hearts fans.

All ifs, buts and maybes now of course.

Just now, Boab said:

I think, although impossible to verify, that if the game had a better KO, Thistle may have accommodated more Hearts fans.

All ifs, buts and maybes now of course.

True, but they would have to have given us another full stand.

I'd say that's unlikely as they will fancy their chances of getting to a semi final and want as big a support as possible behind them, not the other way about.

Anyway, as you say we'll never know.

Just now, Rudolf said:

True, but they would have to have given us another full stand.

I'd say that's unlikely as they will fancy their chances of getting to a semi final and want as big a support as possible behind them, not the other way about.

Anyway, as you say we'll never know.

Only an opinion but if the demand from us was there, i'm sure they would have looked at giving us the end stand as well and housed their fans in the Jackie Husband ( 6500 ).

8 minutes ago, Boab said:

Only an opinion but if the demand from us was there, i'm sure they would have looked at giving us the end stand as well and housed their fans in the Jackie Husband ( 6500 ).

Don't know what their end stand holds but say it's 1,800 at £15 a pop, that's £27,000 split 50/50 £13,500 each.

Not a lot of cash to give up a big part of home advantage, especially when you compare it to what they could make in the Semi Final.

Anyway, hopefully we get a win and the Hearts fans that go through have a great night. 

1 minute ago, Rudolf said:

Don't know what their end stand holds but say it's 1,800 at £15 a pop, that's £27,000 split 50/50 £13,500 each.

Not a lot of cash to give up a big part of home advantage, especially when you compare it to what they could make in the Semi Final.

Anyway, hopefully we get a win and the Hearts fans that go through have a great night. 

Yip. Cup QF. 4pm liquid dinner in the West End.

?

25 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

wonder how many Man Utd fans will be in London for tonights cup tie and whether they'll be protesting

There'll be thousands of them there, only 10 minutes on the tube for most of them.  ;) 

A protest because a match is on a Monday night.////simply a joke

Our club signed a deal, knew it would involve Monday night times and brings in far more money than before 

Lets face it we are hardly subject to this on a regular basis and it could impact on the team

Get your yellow jacket on, travel over to France and protest there

On 18/02/2019 at 18:10, maroonsgotop said:

wonder how many Man Utd fans will be in London for tonights cup tie and whether they'll be protesting

No sure how many were in London but was a banner up in their end about it last night. Having a go at the fa  and Monday night cup fixtures

Maroon Sailor

Most watched domestic football match this season was the Chelsea Man Utd FA cup tie last night.

Nearly 10 million tuned in

MNF not all that bad then. There's a market for it

Lord Beni of Gorgie
On 18/02/2019 at 19:34, CJGJ said:

Our club signed a deal, knew it would involve Monday night times and brings in far more money than before 

Lets face it we are hardly subject to this on a regular basis and it could impact on the team

You obviously didn't read the article that mentions it's 20k for a Tv match in the cup.

Well worth it. Make it to the final a whopping 80k off TV.

Sold 

Down

River

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Most watched domestic football match this season was the Chelsea Man Utd FA cup tie last night.

Nearly 10 million tuned in

MNF not all that bad then. There's a market for it

BBC mainstream. 

This game is on a channel that doesn't even exist today  :lol:

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

BBC mainstream. 

This game is on a channel that doesn't even exist today  :lol:

What's that got to do with my post and the apparent appetite for MNF ?

On 18/02/2019 at 19:34, CJGJ said:

I like to see the figures for that, mate.

There seems to be views to the contrary.

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

What's that got to do with my post and the apparent appetite for MNF ?

This has been covered already, has it not ?

Trying to compare English Football, with all the riches down there, and our game is, frankly, ridiculous.

Sorry.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

This has been covered already, has it not ?

Trying to compare English Football, with all the riches down there, and our game is, frankly, ridiculous.

Sorry.

I didn't compare - people on here were manking about MNF. 

Probably the same people who watched the match last night

14 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

You obviously didn't read the article that mentions it's 20k for a Tv match in the cup.

Sold 

Down

River

It’s £32k for each club and higher prize money for each round. 

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I didn't compare - people on here were manking about MNF. 

Probably the same people who watched the match last night

You're right.....because no comparison can be made.

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

You're right.....because no comparison can be made.

When they are it's always with English football, never with Irish or Welsh football.

On 18/02/2019 at 15:49, Phil Dunphy said:

I think you may be wrong with the bit I have highlighted in BOLD.

The clubs of the SPFL have pretty much to a "man" rejected "strict liability" so are not accountable for the actions of their or the visiting supporters.

48 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Sold 

Down

River

You clearly have not red the details of the deal

Far more money coming into Scottish Football

That is a fact