• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• It should have been ten

His wife has her own dentist business and he has recently invested in a restaurant, not the likely preparation if you are going to move to the other side of the world

joondalupjambo

I  know what we have got in  terms of how good SN is and how good he is for the team and the club but I said before that we need to learn how to win regularly when he is not in the team.  If he stays great but regardless we would not want to be still left with that problem again.  

This season has been a real eye opener looking at the number of times we have failed when he has not been in the team.  CL needs to solve that because if he stays, which I hope he does then we still need cover, a replacement who can come into the team and at least help us win more games when SN is out injured or serving suspensions.  

i wish jj was my dad
4 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

I  know what we have got in  terms of how good SN is and how good he is for the team and the club but I said before that we need to learn how to win regularly when he is not in the team.  If he stays great but regardless we would not want to be still left with that problem again.  

This season has been a real eye opener looking at the number of times we have failed when he has not been in the team.  CL needs to solve that because if he stays, which I hope he does then we still need cover, a replacement who can come into the team and at least help us win more games when SN is out injured or serving suspensions.  

Nobody is denying how good or important Naismith is but most of the games when he was out we were missing Berra, Souttar and Uche. Haring was running on empty too.

Shirley that won't happen again.

3 hours ago, HMFC 86 said:

He will be keeping his options open.

And everyone surely realises if something better comes up he'll choose them over us.

Let's face it, we're his insurance policy.

If Naismith goes (and I hope not), who should we replace him with? are there any other thirtysomething players out there that might be available in the same mould as Naismith? someone from the Championship down south perhaps?  nobody springs to mind, unless there is another Valois type from the continent, now that would be nice. 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

And everyone surely realises if something better comes up he'll choose them over us.

Depends how he defines ' something better'.

I dont believe its all about money.

10 hours ago, jambofaefife said:

His wife has her own dentist business and he has recently invested in a restaurant, not the likely preparation if you are going to move to the other side of the world

At the same time, neither is necessarily a show-stopper if he fancies playing for a team on the other side of the Atlantic for a season or two. 

4 minutes ago, Peebo said:

At the same time, neither is necessarily a show-stopper if he fancies playing for a team on the other side of the Atlantic for a season or two. 

It is if his wife wants to stay in Scotland!!

portobellojambo1
10 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Naismith has made his money out of football and his thinking now will be very different to may players, i.e. those who have earned fortunes from the game but failed to make that money work for them. Berra and Naismith are two wise football players, when they were making good money they were investing it instead of pissing it up against a wall. Steven doesn't have to go anywhere and prove anything at this stage in his career and if we can put together an offer, which includes moving onto the coaching side once he finishes playing I think we have a great chance of holding onto him. I also have no problem with him waiting until the last minute to make a decision.

Edited by portobellojambo1

10 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

It is if his wife wants to stay in Scotland!!

No doubt, his family life will dictate his career choices. That’s probably why he’s with us no. My point is that having business interests or even his family based in Scotland does not necessarily mean he would not go and play abroad for a season or two. 

CL talking about how the move might not be good for him ahead of the Euros. And staying here would do him more good and experience something that a whole generation of footballers have missed out on.

Edited by tynietigers

joondalupjambo
13 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Nobody is denying how good or important Naismith is but most of the games when he was out we were missing Berra, Souttar and Uche. Haring was running on empty too.

Shirley that won't happen again.

Don't call me Shirley ? 

Agree surely not.

2 hours ago, Peebo said:

No doubt, his family life will dictate his career choices. That’s probably why he’s with us no. My point is that having business interests or even his family based in Scotland does not necessarily mean he would not go and play abroad for a season or two. 

Naisy is very much a family man - no way is he going to the USA without them.

If he goes, I hope it's as a Scottish Cup winner. But I think he'll finish his career at Hearts.

Edited by ri Alban

It should have been ten
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

If he goes, I hope it's as a Scottish Cup winner. But I think he'll finish his career at Hearts.

Fingers crossed ?? 

6 hours ago, GorgieRules22 said:

After reading his comments in the Sun I’m thinking that he’s pretty much got his heart set on a switch to the States.

I’m with you on that. Love the guy to bits but if he does go, I’d rather it was the states rather than seeing him play in uk for someone else. I think the attraction is doing something different for a few years. 

On 16/02/2019 at 17:04, joondalupjambo said:

Good post, as well as being a very good player SN makes demands on the standards of those around him, but he has injury issues is 32 and not our player. We should do all we can to keep him, (we could even promise him the head coaching role when his playing career ends) but we need to raise the standard of his back up and the players round about him must be able to take responsibility, so we can function with or without him.

kingantti1874
On 16/02/2019 at 22:57, Bauldrick said:

If Naismith goes (and I hope not), who should we replace him with? are there any other thirtysomething players out there that might be available in the same mould as Naismith? someone from the Championship down south perhaps?  nobody springs to mind, unless there is another Valois type from the continent, now that would be nice. 

Greg Stewart or Jake Hastie

On 17/02/2019 at 13:14, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Naisy is very much a family man - no way is he going to the USA without them.

“You look at young players like (David) Bates going to Germany. Ryan Gauld going to Portugal. I really admire that. 
“Back in the day I wish maybe I’d done that but I’ve enjoyed every bit of my career and I do think ‘why would I not try it?’ That’s what I’m swaying with. 
“The MLS is coming up as well (in terms of status). The family can watch it on TV as well, which makes it easier for them.” 

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/why-would-i-not-try-it-hearts-striker-steven-naismith-on-possible-mls-switch-1-4875163

Aye?

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

“You look at young players like (David) Bates going to Germany. Ryan Gauld going to Portugal. I really admire that. 
“Back in the day I wish maybe I’d done that but I’ve enjoyed every bit of my career and I do think ‘why would I not try it?’ That’s what I’m swaying with. 
“The MLS is coming up as well (in terms of status). The family can watch it on TV as well, which makes it easier for them.” 

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/why-would-i-not-try-it-hearts-striker-steven-naismith-on-possible-mls-switch-1-4875163

Aye?

I don’t think he meant his wife and children. At the age he is at, I would be very surprised if he jumps to the other side of the world without them. If he goes, they’ll go too. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Aye?

As I've said, he knows we're his insurance policy but folk refuse to believe it because it's "Naisy" and he wouldn't possibly do that (much like how you can't really criticise his performances to some). He'll be playing for us next season if nothing better materialises.

15 minutes ago, clouston1992 said:

I don’t think he meant his wife and children. At the age he is at, I would be very surprised if he jumps to the other side of the world without them. If he goes, they’ll go too

I disagree. He won't be able to move to MLS until June and the regular season ends on October 19th. Even if the MLS club that he signed for made it all the way to the MLS Cup Final that would only be November 10th 2019. I don't believe his wife is going to give up dentistry to move to the USA for what may end up being 18 months in total.

32 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I disagree. He won't be able to move to MLS until June and the regular season ends on October 19th. Even if the MLS club that he signed for made it all the way to the MLS Cup Final that would only be November 10th 2019. I don't believe his wife is going to give up dentistry to move to the USA for what may end up being 18 months in total.

She could take a sabbatical to be fair. It's not as if she'd have to permanently give it up.

28 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I think there’s a bit of a smokescreen going on here. Naismith will be at Hearts next year IMO.

Wish I could share your confidence. 

Looks to me he's fishing for better offers.

Seriously, let’s just enjoy him whilst he is here. Can’t see how anyone can feel aggrieved if he decides to try something different, and I can’t understand anyone attempting to make out he’s not that good, or them being desperate to criticise his very very rare off the boil performances. The boy is pure class on the pitch, and I hope he stays, but I’ll understand if he doesn’t.

As for replacements, I’m not sure we could get a like for like replacement to cover everything he brings to the team and the squad. We may have to set up differently if he does, and have that wee bit of special quality elsewhere on the park.

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

3 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

Think our current results may influence his decision. We are unlikely to make europe

What? ?

How are we unlikely to make Europe? 

1 minute ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

What? ?

How are we unlikely to make Europe? 

You think we are likely to be playing European football next season?

1 minute ago, LeftBack said:

You think we are likely to be playing European football next season?

Celtic win the cup and 4th gets Europe.

Naismith came to us to get himself football games while still being paid a fortune down south.  He’s still a Norwich player and when his contract runs out with them he will be looking for another challenge before returning and retiring with Killie.  He’s that type of character and I’m sure his wife will be happy enough sunning it up in the US for a couple of years before coming home and being the bread winner when Naisy retires. 

3 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Yes. Why not? ?

Because I think we will finish fifth. (Note: Im not a hobbo and I dont want to be dragged into one of your petty debates - in fact I would be delighted if you were right and I was wrong) ?

Edited by LeftBack

59 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

I think there’s a bit of a smokescreen going on here. Naismith will be at Hearts next year IMO.

Other way about.  Making out it’s going to be really tough to leave like he did with Killie/huns mk2 then going on through ambition. I’ve no issue with it regardless he’s been brilliant this season and we’ve been extremely fortunate to get him here. 

The fact he is going into detail about Levein twisting his arm about Scotland but then saying it done no harm for Johnny Russell is telling.  He’s basically shop windowing himself which he has every right to do. 

1 minute ago, LeftBack said:

Because I think we will finish fifth. (Note: Im not a hobbo and I dont want to be dragged into one of your petty debates - in fact I would be delighted if you were right and I was wrong) ?

We finish 5th it’s a disaster.  Let’s hope that doesn’t happen. 

10 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Right... no idea what your “hobbo” and “petty debates” shit is all about tbh. You may be mistaking me for someone else. In all honesty I don’t even remember speaking to you before, let alone accusing you of being Hibs. If I have done, then fair enough, that’s another debate. Pull me up for it on the thread it happened on. ?

The Guy I replied to thought that “current results” would put Naismith off from signing for us, because we are unlikely to make Europe. There’s so much wrong with such a statement. For starters there is three months left of the season and we are nine points behind second place. Then there’s the fact we have a winnable QF match in the Scottish Cup to play. Then there’s also the fact “current” results have not determined anything, and Naismith is on record as saying he will wait until the season is over before deciding. He’s tied to us until then anyway, due to the loan contract he signed.

You were the one who replied to me as though us qualifying for Europe was unlikely. It really isn’t. 

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

35 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Right... no idea what your “hobbo” and “petty debates” shit is all about tbh. You may be mistaking me for someone else. In all honesty I don’t even remember speaking to you before, let alone accusing you of being Hibs. If I have done, then fair enough, that’s another debate. Pull me up for it on the thread it happened on. ?

The Guy I replied to thought that “current results” would put Naismith off from signing for us, because we are unlikely to make Europe. There’s so much wrong with such a statement. For starters there is three months left of the season and we are nine points behind second place. Then there’s the fact we have a winnable QF match in the Scottish Cup to play. Then there’s the fact “current” results have not determined anything.

You were the one who replied to me as though us qualifying for Europe was unlikely. It really isn’t. 

OK - maybe mistaken identity apologies (although you cant really blame me for being so defensive given some of the attitudes on here!) Anyway I stand my point - I think it is more unlikely than likely (ie based on probability) that we wont play in Europe next year. Hope Im wrong.

11 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

OK - maybe mistaken identity apologies (although you cant really blame me for being so defensive given some of the attitudes on here!) Anyway I stand my point - I think it is more unlikely than likely (ie based on probability) that we wont play in Europe next year. Hope Im wrong.

Cool. Totally disagree with everything you have said, but I respect your right to an opinion. ?

5 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Greg Stewart or Jake Hastie

Hasn't Jake Hastie played about 4 games for motherwell?

Saying he could replace Naismith is quite the leap of faith. Bar looking good in a couple of games recently, you could objectively argue he is no better than Calumn Morrison. In fact he didn't look effective at the same club Dario Zanatta is ripping it up according to reports. 

He of course may turn out to be a great player, but suggesting him as a replacement for Naismith seems optimistic.

1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

We finish 5th it’s a disaster.  Let’s hope that doesn’t happen. 

Club with 4th or 5th biggest budget finnishes 4th or 5th

siegementality

I think Naismith will go to the MLS. The only way he’ll stay at Hearts is if he thinks he is in with a good chance of winning a trophy with us. Sadly we are not good enough for that.

42 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Club with 4th or 5th biggest budget finnishes 4th or 5th

We are the 3rd biggest club in the country and kicking about the lower regions of the top six having brought in 1,000 players isn’t good enough with nothing to show for it.  Hopefully it won’t come to that though.