Things you have always wanted to do/learn.

AlimOzturk

So I have always wanted to learn to drive a bus. Dunno why but It is just something I have always wanted to be able to do and I was delighted to pass my test today. Now a fully qualified PCV bus driver

Now I have done that I am probably going to go off and do my class 2, motorbike and firther down the line class 1 licence. Need to save up the dosh however to do these things. 

Just wondering what use guys fancy learning and of there any wierd and wonderful stuff that you guys have recently achieved. 

??

Edited by AlimOzturk

I’ve always wanted to learn the guitar but have never had the patience. My 5 year old daughter loves musical instruments and found my old guitar and wants a half size one for her birthday so we’re going for lessons together. It might be a bit late for me to headline Wembley but if I can play a couple of tunes I’ll be happy.

All roads lead to Gorgie

When I was in my early twenties I wanted to take flying lessons but couldn't afford it then and soon gave up on the idea in a busy period of life that followed. Going to learn in the States was the cheapest option but I didn't want to leave here and the girl I was with back then. No inclination to learn to fly now but playing the guitar properly could still happen although I am tone deaf so don't hold your breath. 

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

You should both go for it. I play both bagpipes and accordion and music is the best thing i have ever did in my life. Would be completely lost without  it. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

So I have always wanted to learn to drive a bus. Dunno why but It is just something I have always wanted to be able to do and I was delighted to pass my test today. Now a fully qualified PCV bus driver

Well done, mate. Great feeling, innit ?

Going for the CPC to allow you to get £?

Already got a weekend booked driving in July. Absolutely love it.

16 minutes ago, Boof said:

Well done, mate. Great feeling, innit ?

Going for the CPC to allow you to get £?

Already got a weekend booked driving in July. Absolutely love it.

Already done it ? 

Mod 2 is now a requirement to sit the test so thought i'd may as well do mod 4 to give me the ability to earn dosh if I want it. 

Was looking online and plenty work coming up with the tour season kicking off soon. Have experience In the tour industry already and the opportunities to do part time driver guiding is very tempting. The money is amazing as well as the opportunity to travel Scotland as well. Could always go down the Lothian bus route as well doing the city tours. 

Really I am chuffed and it is a great feeling to pass ? 

Squeaky arse during the test and I almost ballsed up the reverse. Bawhair away from hitting the cones ?

Shanks said no

Always wanted to learn to play the banjo, basically so I could play the deliverance tune. Unfortunately I am tone deaf, so would probably be wasting my time. Have bid at auctions for one a few times but never won the bids or taken it further.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Always wanted to learn to play the banjo, basically so I could play the deliverance tune. Unfortunately I am tone deaf, so would probably be wasting my time. Have bid at auctions for one a few times but never won the bids or taken it further.

I won an auction bid on eBay for a fiddle. Broke a string trying to tune it and it has sat in a cupboard with three strings ever since. I also didn't realise you had to resin the bow and could not understand why little sound was coming from the blasted thing. ?

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I won an auction bid on eBay for a fiddle. Broke a string trying to tune it and it has sat in a cupboard with three strings ever since. I also didn't realise you had to resin the bow and could not understand why little sound was coming from the blasted thing. ?

Take it to Varsity music on Nicholson Street. They will sort it for ya ?

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Take it to Varsity music on Nicholson Street. They will sort it for ya ?

I bought a string in MacIntosh's at the west end and strung it myself but one of the pegs is lose and it makes tuning it really difficult. It needs professional help methinks so Varsity could be its next port of call if I do take it up again. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Now I have done that I am probably going to go off and do my class 2, motorbike and firther down the line class 1 licence. Need to save up the dosh however to do these things. 

Just wondering what use guys fancy learning and of there any wierd and wonderful stuff that you guys have recently achieved. 

??

Well done on passing the test.  :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Alan_R said:

I'd like to speak Gaelic. 

I've a kind of interest in that.  I'm already an Irish speaker, and there are quite a few overlaps between the languages.  I've even gotten as far as checking out summer courses in Gàidhlig for Irish speakers on Skye.  :help: 

I've ticked off loads of my boxes but I'm in my mid 40s and still haven't learned to drive, so that. 

To those of you thinking of musical instruments, don't over think it, just do it and keep on doing it. Everyone's shite at the start, don't let that bother you, practice will start to tell sooner or later, you just need to stick with it. 

I always think that refusing to be beaten is what makes most musicians rather than inherent musical talent.

11 hours ago, Alan_R said:

I'd like to speak Gaelic. 

Living in Lewis I hear it all the time and I've tried to speak it. I can I understand a lot of what is being said, the problem is, with my Edinburgh accent, the same goes for all central belt accents, I just cannot pronounce anything right in Gaelic.

7 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I bought a string in MacIntosh's at the west end and strung it myself but one of the pegs is lose and it makes tuning it really difficult. It needs professional help methinks so Varsity could be its next port of call if I do take it up again. :thumbsup:

My daughter played the fiddle so I learned how to sort these little problems. Remove the peg and cover it in a thin layer of chalk dust, sorted.

The Real Maroonblood

I’ve always wanted to speak at least 6 foreign  languages fluently. 

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

2 hours ago, superjack said:

Living in Lewis I hear it all the time and I've tried to speak it. I can I understand a lot of what is being said, the problem is, with my Edinburgh accent, the same goes for all central belt accents, I just cannot pronounce anything right in Gaelic.

I get asked if I'm from the Highlands all the time. (I'm not, neither are parents) but I've got an unusual accent for Edinburgh area. I can only think spending a lot of time up north as a kid and watching dotaman is to blame.

I try to pick up wee bits but it's not something I see myself seriously pursuing much as I'd like too.

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 hours ago, superjack said:

My daughter played the fiddle so I learned how to sort these little problems. Remove the peg and cover it in a thin layer of chalk dust, sorted.

That is a very good tip, thanks. Still not sure if it is the right choice of instrument for me though as I prefer the guitar but I like listening to the the experts playing it. I bought it on a whim but it is definitely more difficult than the guitar to learn, at least any guitar doesn't sound quite as bad when you first pick it up. :Shoosh:

Love to learn to play the piano but musically I'm a complete hibbee and don't even begin to understand how it's written, much less learn to read it! 

On the achievable list for this year is motorbike license. Had the money a few times over the years but car trouble and family needs came first. Now in my 40s I feel its time for me to do it as my cars crap and family self sufficient.... 

Might take up karate aswell. Done judo for years but I'm overweight and it hurts now (getting thrown at 20 when your bouncy is fine, at 40+ & overweight it's sore and longer lasting!).. Would like to concentrate on a martial art again for the discipline and sense of achievement. 

I'd love to learn several languages. German is the priority and I was a dab hand at school but forgot it all as never used it. Now I'm over frequently, I wish I could speak more fluent.

I've got the Duolingo app and would love to learn French too, but I really don't have the self discipline to sit down and learn.

I sit on my phone the whole way to and from work which is a long enough commute, but I find myself just scrolling through Facebook.

8 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’ve always wanted to speak at least 6 foreign  languages fluently. 

Knew a guy years ago (friend of a friend really) that was fluent in something mental like 17 or 18 languages!

He'd done languages at Uni so was fluent in English/French/German/Spanish and Italian but then went travelling for a few years starting in Scandanavia working his way down through eastern europe and the baltics, only needed a couple of months in each country to pick up the language, when he came back he made a fortune as half the countries he'd been to were trying to get into the EU so needed all their documents translated!

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Knew a guy years ago (friend of a friend really) that was fluent in something mental like 17 or 18 languages!

He'd done languages at Uni so was fluent in English/French/German/Spanish and Italian but then went travelling for a few years starting in Scandanavia working his way down through eastern europe and the baltics, only needed a couple of months in each country to pick up the language, when he came back he made a fortune as half the countries he'd been to were trying to get into the EU so needed all their documents translated!

That’s brilliant.

Staying in a country is certainly the best way to learn a language,

I've always wanted to have a good understanding of high-energy physics and quantum mechanics. I've tried at various points but given up each time. I'm trying again now.

Oh yes, and I agree with El Diez, shag Kylie too. Probably shouting "This is so bosonic!" at the same time.

9 hours ago, muldoon74 said:

Love to learn to play the piano but musically I'm a complete hibbee and don't even begin to understand how it's written, much less learn to read it! 

On the achievable list for this year is motorbike license. Had the money a few times over the years but car trouble and family needs came first. Now in my 40s I feel its time for me to do it as my cars crap and family self sufficient.... 

Might take up karate aswell. Done judo for years but I'm overweight and it hurts now (getting thrown at 20 when your bouncy is fine, at 40+ & overweight it's sore and longer lasting!).. Would like to concentrate on a martial art again for the discipline and sense of achievement. 

I passed my motorbike test last year at the first time of asking and I'm 53, now to be seen flying around East Lothian country roads on my CBR600F Supersport. :) 

On 15/02/2019 at 11:30, Locky said:

I'd love to learn several languages. German is the priority and I was a dab hand at school but forgot it all as never used it. Now I'm over frequently, I wish I could speak more fluent.

I've got the Duolingo app and would love to learn French too, but I really don't have the self discipline to sit down and learn.

I sit on my phone the whole way to and from work which is a long enough commute, but I find myself just scrolling through Facebook.

Yeah, I need to get my finger out for German. It's at the stage where my kids are translating for me when I'm over there. I tried Duolingo but it was too unforgiving for me. I just want to be understood, I'm not too fussed about getting the genders spot on. 

There's a few Spanish folk who come in to my work and I've always had a smattering of tourist Spanish so I've been building that up recently. 

Edited by Normthebarman

On 14/02/2019 at 19:06, AlimOzturk said:

??

How did you find the test? What do you need to do in it? I'm doing it soon

On 15/02/2019 at 17:05, Ribble said:

Hats off to him. But I think I could learn to speak Dutch, Frisian, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, German, Spanish and English, if I put my mind to it. They seem very similar to Scots(Apart from Spanish, although it does seem the easiest)

?

13 hours ago, Herbert said:

How did you find the test? What do you need to do in it? I'm doing it soon

So I did it through GTG. 4 days training Monday to Thursday and the test on Friday which works out at roughly 16 hours of driving and I passed first time thankfully. 

In the test you will start off by doing 5 show me tell me questions about the bus. For example show me where the fire extinguisher is located, show me how to work the window wipers and horn. You will then move on to the reversing excercise which you have to reverse the bus from two cones into a simulated bay. Good example here 

You then go for a drive which lasts at least an hour. This can literally be anywhere the examiner feels like going that day but companies usually know pre designated test routes and they will practice them with you. In the test you have to do two bus stop excercises, an up hill start, down hill start, angled start and stop in a safe place. During the test you can not hit any curbs, slow any vehicles down unnecessarily and and not disrupt the flow of traffic. 

It seems daunting at first. The sheer size and width is difficult to get use to if like me the only thing you have driven is cars. However after a day or two you just get use to it. I actually found myself looking in my mirrors more than what is happening at the front as that is how you get the position of the vehicle from. 

After all that is said and done you also have to CPC training so you can drive for hire and reward. This consists of modual 2 which is essentially the same as the theory section of the test and modual four which you basically walk an examiner round the bus explains how everything works. 

It is difficult but doable. You really have to listen to your instructor and take in everything they say. If you go home and think they are a dick then they are doing there jobs properly. 

Good luck mate hope this helps you. 

I've wanted to learn how to create dance songs, speak a foreign language fluently, write a horror film, be handy at DIY, write a comedy novel and even learn to drive. It's difficult when you're lazy as frick. 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hats off to him. But I think I could learn to speak Dutch, Frisian, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, German, Spanish and English, if I put my mind to it. They seem very similar to Scots(Apart from Spanish, although it does seem the easiest)

?

:laugh: dutch is nothing like Scots! Sure there are a few shared words, our kirk is their kerk, our dike is their dijk, and they're both germanic, but that's where it ends, the grammar, syntax and majority of vocabulary aren't that similar at all.

They're quite proud of having a difficult language, my teacher called it the Chinese of Europe - a bit of an exaggeration to my mind but it was pretty tough 

38 minutes ago, Smithee said:

:laugh: dutch is nothing like Scots! Sure there are a few shared words, our kirk is their kerk, our dike is their dijk, and they're both germanic, but that's where it ends, the grammar, syntax and majority of vocabulary aren't that similar at all.

They're quite proud of having a difficult language, my teacher called it the Chinese of Europe - a bit of an exaggeration to my mind but it was pretty tough 

Keek!

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

So I did it through GTG. 4 days training Monday to Thursday and the test on Friday which works out at roughly 16 hours of driving and I passed first time thankfully. 

In the test you will start off by doing 5 show me tell me questions about the bus. For example show me where the fire extinguisher is located, show me how to work the window wipers and horn. You will then move on to the reversing excercise which you have to reverse the bus from two cones into a simulated bay. Good example here 

You then go for a drive which lasts at least an hour. This can literally be anywhere the examiner feels like going that day but companies usually know pre designated test routes and they will practice them with you. In the test you have to do two bus stop excercises, an up hill start, down hill start, angled start and stop in a safe place. During the test you can not hit any curbs, slow any vehicles down unnecessarily and and not disrupt the flow of traffic. 

It seems daunting at first. The sheer size and width is difficult to get use to if like me the only thing you have driven is cars. However after a day or two you just get use to it. I actually found myself looking in my mirrors more than what is happening at the front as that is how you get the position of the vehicle from. 

After all that is said and done you also have to CPC training so you can drive for hire and reward. This consists of modual 2 which is essentially the same as the theory section of the test and modual four which you basically walk an examiner round the bus explains how everything works. 

It is difficult but doable. You really have to listen to your instructor and take in everything they say. If you go home and think they are a dick then they are doing there jobs properly. 

Good luck mate hope this helps you. 

Thanks for that. I've done my modual 2 and a few hours behind the wheel and its bloody terrifying. 

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Keek!

Yep, good one, they reckon "keek a boo" comes from kijk op u - look at you.

The east coast of Scotland has more verbal links due to centuries of trade, the word ken means the same, even things like beastie directly as beestje, but my favourite thing about dutch is their word for bagpipes - doedelzak!

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yep, good one, they reckon "keek a boo" comes from kijk op u - look at you.

The east coast of Scotland has more verbal links due to centuries of trade, the word ken means the same, even things like beastie directly as beestje, but my favourite thing about dutch is their word for bagpipes - doedelzak!

What's Dutch or Flemish for that attempted save?  

And Ken is a Norse word. The Vikings might be very under valued when it comes to empires.

Edited by ri Alban

All roads lead to Gorgie
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Schijten

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

And Ken is a Norse word. The Vikings might be very under valued when it comes to empires.

10 years in holland but I wouldn't actually know! Dutch football bored me rigid so I never bothered getting my head round that side of it.

I love how languages grow, it's so interesting, but it's probably a fools errand to definitively say which word originated where when all the north sea countries have been trading and exchanging knowledge forever.

When I first met my old flatmate he got introduced to me as dutch Simon. He said "actually I'm fresian" so I offered to turn the heating up :laugh: true story

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

10 years in holland but I wouldn't actually know! Dutch football bored me rigid so I never bothered getting my head round that side of it.

I love how languages grow, it's so interesting, but it's probably a fools errand to definitively say which word originated where when all the north sea countries have been trading and exchanging knowledge forever.

When I first met my old flatmate he got introduced to me as dutch Simon. He said "actually I'm fresian" so I offered to turn the heating up :laugh: true story

:D

I agree about language, we all give and take. What's the old saying, if you have an Army and Navy, you have a language. So I'd say at this minute, we speak U.Kish. :)

I'm going to pick a language from the Germanic group and try to learn it. Good thread this.

Edited by ri Alban

8 hours ago, Paolo said:

Quite simple.   Cook.   I am just awful.  

Ended up with burns last time. Can't do it at all. Even a bit of bacon is too much for me

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

:D

I agree about language, we all give and take. What's the old saying, if you have an Army and Navy, you have a language. So I'd say at this minute, we speak U.Kish. :)

I'm going to pick a language from the Germanic group and try to learn it. Good thread this.

Good luck, sounds like you'll enjoy it

On 14/02/2019 at 19:21, Statts1976uk said:

I’ve always wanted to learn the guitar but have never had the patience. My 5 year old daughter loves musical instruments and found my old guitar and wants a half size one for her birthday so we’re going for lessons together. It might be a bit late for me to headline Wembley but if I can play a couple of tunes I’ll be happy.

Go for it mate. I've been playing the bass for about 30 years just in the house, along to records etc. Went to a Rock Project thing last year and started playing with a couple of guitarists. Got a drummer and a singer and rehearse every week at Pirate Studios at the Gyle. Costs about a £5 for 3 hours! Hoping to do some open mic night etc. It's never too late.

Edited by Jamhammer

For 20 years I used to comment to my wife, "One day I'm going to get my pilot's license."  Eventually she said "I wish you'd stop talking about it and go get it."

So I did.  Twelve months of hard work and lots of $ but I got my wings.  Flying an airplane is an incredible experience.

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Go for it mate. I've been playing the bass for about 30 years just in the house, along to records etc. Went to a Rock Project thing last year and started playing with a couple of guitarists. Got a drummer and a singer and rehearse every week at Pirate Studios at the Gyle. Costs about a £5 for 3 hours! Hoping to do some open mic night etc. It's never too late.

I think if I’m going to be doing it with my daughter then I’m likely to stick with it. I suppose the inner frustrated rock star needs to get out at some point!