Recommend an independent coffee shop

All roads lead to Gorgie

All roads lead to Gorgie

For a time now we have avoided always going to one of the big chains to have a coffee and like trying new places. Quite a lot of indy coffee shops have been tried and a few have turned out to be places where ' hipsters ' gather to drink overly priced drinks out of tiny cups. Therefor, I am looking for recommendations for places to get a good coffee for a sensible price in a cup or mug that doesn't resemble a thimble. Cheers.

Edit. I will say anywhere in the country to try on our travels.

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

All roads lead to Gorgie
18 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Cheers. I will have to rack up the air miles for some of those. Brew Lab was one I tried and the coffee was good but I had to wait an age for it to come to the table. Good when you have time to spare. 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

For a time now we have avoided always going to one of the big chains to have a coffee and like trying new places. Quite a lot of indy coffee shops have been tried and a few have turned out to be places where ' hipsters ' gather to drink overly priced drinks out of tiny cups. Therefor, I am looking for recommendations for places to get a good coffee for a sensible price in a cup or mug that doesn't resemble a thimble. Cheers.

Edit. I will say anywhere in the country to try on our travels.

Blackwood coffee I would recommend then in Morningside, also Roundsquare just next to it makes a nice cup of coffee.

That's quite an achievement for BrewLab

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Blackwood coffee I would recommend then in Morningside, also Roundsquare just next to it makes a nice cup of coffee.

That's quite an achievement for BrewLab

Not up that way often but will try them out when passing. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

Brew Lab is outstanding BUT the take away coffee is the size of the tip of a jonny (which costs the earth) and the temperature is never hot (they tell me it's to do with them not burning the coffee grind).

Hell BURN MY GRIND #burnmygrind

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Brew Lab is outstanding BUT the take away coffee is the size of the tip of a jonny (which costs the earth) and the temperature is never hot (they tell me it's to do with them not burning the coffee grind).

Hell BURN MY GRIND #burnmygrind

I hate when some coffee hipster wank tries to tell me how I want my coffee.

Do you want to drink it for me to, you ******* **** ****?

:seething:

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The McDonalds 'Flat White' advert still makes me laugh "2/3 coffee, 1/3 milk and 1/3 foam"

luckyBatistuta
43 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

‘Think you need to relax GT, maybe go and get yourself a wee coffee 

Governor Tarkin
15 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

‘Think you need to relax GT, maybe go and get yourself a wee coffee 

I only drink coffee to relax when I'm in the Netherlands, LB.

scott herbertson

I wander round edinburgh's charity shops (all 100 or so of them) looking for second hand books every few weeks. Usually stop for a coffee and snack en route , only in independent cafes. I like https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186525-d7168556-Reviews-Casa_Amiga_Leith-Edinburgh_Scotland.html half way down Leith Walk - Portuguese with unique pastries

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The whole selling an espresso for £2 and it being a sip of coffee is a disgrace to be honest. Daylight robbery

30 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I wander round edinburgh's charity shops (all 100 or so of them) looking for second hand books every few weeks. Usually stop for a coffee and snack en route , only in independent cafes. I like https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186525-d7168556-Reviews-Casa_Amiga_Leith-Edinburgh_Scotland.html half way down Leith Walk - Portuguese with unique pastries

do you have a preferred route, method of covering the charity shops?

sorry not coffee related but i love a good hunt round charity shops but i never get into town these days due to the school runs anytime i get a day off.

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, Alan_R said:

do you have a preferred route, method of covering the charity shops?

sorry not coffee related but i love a good hunt round charity shops but i never get into town these days due to the school runs anytime i get a day off.

If you want to do a lot on a day off start by going down leith walk - both sides, there's a good one at the bottom on the right ?Bethany i think and three on the left (Great Junction street). Then hop on a bus all the way up to TolcrossThere are three or four on the way up to the Kings Theatre (including a decent one off to the right on Lochrin Buildings - thrift shop). Then hop on a bus to Morningside stopping at the top of the hill then walking down to the boottom on the right. from there a 5 bus will take you over the meadows to the Chest Heart and Stroke shop on Newington Road - from there there is a good stretch down to the Royal Mile of around a mile and a half with about 15 charity shops. Other good areas are Portobello and Stockbridge

luckyBatistuta
49 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I only drink coffee to relax when I'm in the Netherlands, LB.

Helps you clear that clogged mind does it.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

I do the same thing going round the charity shops but more for CDs and vinyl. The problem is it seems the same selection in most shops now and they are overflowing so looking through them gives you eye strain. I sometimes go down the Walk so I will try Casa Amiga soon. Thanks for that and everyone else's tips. 

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

If you want to do a lot on a day off start by going down leith walk - both sides, there's a good one at the bottom on the right ?Bethany i think and three on the left (Great Junction street). Then hop on a bus all the way up to TolcrossThere are three or four on the way up to the Kings Theatre (including a decent one off to the right on Lochrin Buildings - thrift shop). Then hop on a bus to Morningside stopping at the top of the hill then walking down to the boottom on the right. from there a 5 bus will take you over the meadows to the Chest Heart and Stroke shop on Newington Road - from there there is a good stretch down to the Royal Mile of around a mile and a half with about 15 charity shops. Other good areas are Portobello and Stockbridge

spot on cheers. Its on my to do list

scott herbertson
16 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I do the same thing going round the charity shops but more for CDs and vinyl. The problem is it seems the same selection in most shops now and they are overflowing so looking through them gives you eye strain. I sometimes go down the Walk so I will try Casa Amiga soon. Thanks for that and everyone else's tips. 

I'd also recommend getting out to Rosewell for the  General Auction sales every fortnight https://www.thomsonroddick.com/ (it's too far for me but i go to more local equivalents) - good for records and such stuff

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

When I worked in town, a lot of my colleagues would swear by Fortitude, which I believe is on Queen St. 

I have tried that one and whilst the coffee was strong and tasty the size of the cup was very small. It is in York Place next to the comedy club.

I should add one myself. The Counter at the Lochrin Bason, served from a canal boat. Not a huge cup again but great coffee. 

For value I would say Coffee Angel in Nicolson Street and Cannonmills where you get served a decent sized offering. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
40 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I'd also recommend getting out to Rosewell for the  General Auction sales every fortnight https://www.thomsonroddick.com/ (it's too far for me but i go to more local equivalents) - good for records and such stuff

I remember selling a painting there a few years ago and getting other things valued. I will have look again again soon and maybe have a coffee in Ikea ☺️

25 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I have tried that one and whilst the coffee was strong and tasty the size of the cup was very small. It is in York Place next to the comedy club.

I should add one myself. The Counter at the Lochrin Bason, served from a canal boat. Not a huge cup again but great coffee. 

For value I would say Coffee Angel in Nicolson Street and Cannonmills where you get served a decent sized offering. 

That's the one. I've never been as I'm not that into coffee, but they raved about it.

A lot of them were hipster as ****, mind you.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

That's the one. I've never been as I'm not that into coffee, but they raved about it.

A lot of them were hipster as ****, mind you.

I don't have a beard so I did feel out of place waiting on the coffee to arrive. :)

willie wallace
49 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I go to August 21 at Causewayside most days as it's opposite my work. Nice coffee, sound staff. Decor a bit love/hate, but I've come to like it as a place to relax before work. Great almond croissants, too.

Don't care whether my coffee is thimble sized or a mug (actually, mugs of americanos are pointless, just drink hot water). Would rather have a good espresso for £2 than a cheap one which needs a load of sugar to masks the bitterness.

Interesting to see Smith's Deli listed above - I live only a two minute walk from there and have never been in for coffee.

On the other side of the city, try The Hideout on the corner of Queen Charlotte and Constitution Streets. Their honey cake goes down well with their good strong coffee.

I am in August 21 nearly every morning but have never had a coffee.Have you tried one their frisbee sized cookies yet?

I'll leave the Auld Reekie ratings to y'all but . . . 

An Cala Cafe, Lochinver

*Galmasdale Cafe, Eigg 

Ralia Cafe on the A9 going through the Cairngorms

Fiddler's Cafe, Brodick, Arran

*Most folk here probably won't like the coffee on Eigg, because he uses an American-style drip rather than an espresso machine or instant, but it was a welcome taste of home for me. Regardless, the black pudding and eigg roll and the flapjack are top notch.

3 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The Shetland Isles are on my bucket list so I know where to go for a caffeine fix. :thumbsup:

More than happy to recommend other establishments too ?

Perth to Paisley
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

I go to August 21 at Causewayside most days as it's opposite my work. Nice coffee, sound staff. Decor a bit love/hate, but I've come to like it as a place to relax before work. Great almond croissants, too.

Don't care whether my coffee is thimble sized or a mug (actually, mugs of americanos are pointless, just drink hot water). Would rather have a good espresso for £2 than a cheap one which needs a load of sugar to masks the bitterness.

Interesting to see Smith's Deli listed above - I live only a two minute walk from there and have never been in for coffee.

On the other side of the city, try The Hideout on the corner of Queen Charlotte and Constitution Streets. Their honey cake goes down well with their good strong coffee.

Interested to hear your views on Smiths..in fact keep it low key to avoid it getting too busy.  I am sure they share the beans with Artisan Roast in Bruntsfield.

Edited by Perth to Paisley
Ytpo

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Boof said:

More than happy to recommend other establishments too ?

:mj_zivili: :smile:

I often have a coffee from Wellingtons on the corner of George Street and Hanover Street, it's down a few steps from street level. 

They just do a small range of coffee's and tea and only sell a very small variety of pastries and scones. A few seats to sit in with some outside seating but I usually get a take-away. 

Cairngorm Coffee on Fredrick Street or Melville Place are ok as well, not sure if they still do the massive bacon sandwich...

Artisan Roast on Bruntsfield Place is definitely more hipster, but decent coffee of in a smaller cup.

5 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

When I worked in town, a lot of my colleagues would swear by Fortitude, which I believe is on Queen St. 

Very good coffee, but it is a wee bit wanky. And don't order a tea, they really don't know how to make a decent cup of tea.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, SUTOL said:

I often have a coffee from Wellingtons on the corner of George Street and Hanover Street, it's down a few steps from street level. 

They just do a small range of coffee's and tea and only sell a very small variety of pastries and scones. A few seats to sit in with some outside seating but I usually get a take-away. 

Cairngorm Coffee on Fredrick Street or Melville Place are ok as well, not sure if they still do the massive bacon sandwich...

Artisan Roast on Bruntsfield Place is definitely more hipster, but decent coffee of in a smaller cup.

I go there occasionally and it is certainly strong coffee they sell and the flavour lasts a long time. Another one I was recommended was Lowdown across the street in a basement and it was very good when I tried theirs.

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

I like the treehouse Cafe on Leven St....I often pop into Lupe Pintos for food stuff and if I have enough time on my parking ticket I like to sit in this place....nice and relaxed

image.png.3595fa405c28ede95a68fb8b0e1eed13.png

Castello Coffee on Castle St is prob best in Edin that I’ve had from a technical point if view. I love Kilimanjaro on Nicholson St. Its quite unique, real liquorice kick to it, great stuff.

Had a brilliant coffee in Eyemouth recently at a cafe called Rialto.

You could all just come to my bit, my coffees the best around!!

Btw agree to an extent with folk saying they should get coffee how they want it but also some pretty ridic comments re thimble sizes and prices which i cant refute properly typing on my phone!

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Castello Coffee on Castle St is prob best in Edin that I’ve had from a technical point if view. I love Kilimanjaro on Nicholson St. Its quite unique, real liquorice kick to it, great stuff.

Had a brilliant coffee in Eyemouth recently at a cafe called Rialto.

You could all just come to my bit, my coffees the best around!!

Btw agree to an extent with folk saying they should get coffee how they want it but also some pretty ridic comments re thimble sizes and prices which i cant refute properly typing on my phone!

I have been to kilimanjaro and I agree you get a good coffee there. The seating I remember being a bit uncomfortable though but that doesn't detract from the great product on sale.

I wasn't really being serious with the thimble comment in my OP but prices need to be watched by one or two establishments if they don't want to drive customers back to the big chains again. 

Is this the most middle class boring shit story of a thread on Kickback ever? 'Guys I just don't know where to get my indy coffee yah?' 'F Starbucks, F them in the A, yah?' 

Go to a burger van and take what you get. 

22 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I have been to kilimanjaro and I agree you get a good coffee there. The seating I remember being a bit uncomfortable though but that doesn't detract from the great product on sale.

I wasn't really being serious with the thimble comment in my OP but prices need to be watched by one or two establishments if they don't want to drive customers back to the big chains again. 

They hace a problem with coffee as independents though mate. The margin is huge but the price is low, so the sheer amount you need to sell to pay rent and wages is massive especially Edin centre where you also have hugely disproportionate business rates.

And food “proper” coffee needs desicated and well trained staff too so unlike the chains who can train any min wage kid to knock out milky bland shit, a good, generally socially conscious indy will be paying living wage to a professional.

Alternatively you have the owner making that coffee themself and that mofo gota be paid too.

Anyway 305 Kitchen on Leith Walk does a good brew too.

Captain Sausage
10 hours ago, TheBigO said:

They hace a problem with coffee as independents though mate. The margin is huge but the price is low, so the sheer amount you need to sell to pay rent and wages is massive especially Edin centre where you also have hugely disproportionate business rates.

And food “proper” coffee needs desicated and well trained staff too so unlike the chains who can train any min wage kid to knock out milky bland shit, a good, generally socially conscious indy will be paying living wage to a professional.

Alternatively you have the owner making that coffee themself and that mofo gota be paid too.

Like you’ve said, low unit pricing means coffee shops need huge sales to break even. That’s why you see lots of them try what they can to get you to order then go, because the people who buy a coffee and sit on their laptop taking up a 2/4 cover table for 90 minutes hurt the takings quite substantially. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
12 hours ago, TheBigO said:

I think once people have tasted the difference in flavour you find in an indy they will still go there rather than the main chains. I get the overheads part completely but some shops in cheaper rated areas away from the city centre and more upmarket places like stockbridge maybe should watch the prices more with a different customer market out there. 

That is two in Leith Walk I will have to try now. Cheers.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Like you’ve said, low unit pricing means coffee shops need huge sales to break even. That’s why you see lots of them try what they can to get you to order then go, because the people who buy a coffee and sit on their laptop taking up a 2/4 cover table for 90 minutes hurt the takings quite substantially. 

That's why they have maybe a couple of comfy-ish sofas in a corner and the rest rickety wooden seats that have you running for the exit after a few uncomfortable minutes. :)

If you're travelling then Rookies, Korte Leidsedwarsstraat, Amsterdam, a couple of minutes walk from the Bulldog on Leidseplein. We miss it loads :(