NHC - Successful Deception

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Thank you Captain Obvious! :D

Seriously though, I get all that, but the crime is exactly the same whether the ref cottons on or not - diving is a yellow card offence.

It just doesn't seem right to me to increase that because of what the ref did next.

It's only a yellow card because why take the chance of sending someone off when after multiple replays it shows there might have been contact and the ref gets it in the neck.

It's basically trial by television and if it's conclusive like it is in this case then why not ban him for 5 matches. That point gained from the last minute penalty goal to West Brom could have a major impact on other clubs fighting for promotion. Every point is a prisoner in that league.

On 13/02/2019 at 19:05, TurboT said:

I don't think we should just accept it.

Make it a red card offence rather than yellow with an automatic 1 or 2 match ban.  As it's just a yellow card offence, I think players see it like "taking one for the team" if they get caught.  If they're going to get sent off for it, I reckon it would deter them.

While the sentiment is great, can you imagine making it a red card offence up here? Week after week we'd have clowns like Beaton sending our players off for diving when we were actually fouled! When Sean Clare should have had a pen in the derby? Down to 10 men!

With the Dwight Gayle example I actually think it's harsh (in terms of modern football), as he dives if he clips the defenders leg, even by the slightest of touches then he doesn't get done and it's 'drawing the foul'.

If you want to make it diving then there needs to be something done to eradicate 'drawing the foul' so that if you are already on the way down at the point of contact then it's not a foul.