NHC - Successful Deception

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

West Brom's Dwight Gayle has been charged with successful deception of a match official

Basically he cheated to win a penalty

Ban players guilty of successful deception for at least 5 matches. Players must be really thick now with all the cameras around and it still doesn't deter them. It's become a natural thing for them to do which is the real concern.

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

West Brom's Dwight Gayle has been charged with successful deception of a match official

Ban players guilty of successful deception for at least 5 matches. Players must be really thick now with all the cameras around and it still doesn't deter them. It's become a natural thing for them to do which is the real concern.

I fear it’s coached into them to a degree by a lot of managers, although some players clearly do take the piss.

Think its too worth the risk. A star striker isn't going to risk diving if he misses 5 games as a result. 

Need to change the mentality where Defoe is praised for 'drawing the foul' like some sort of ****ing artist. He's a cheat. 

What did he actually do? Guessing he's just dived? 

Either way, this sort of behaviour always will continue in football because it's widely accepted across the board. It's easy to point the finger in the name of sportsmanship, but there's not a manager, player or supporter who wouldn't be happy to take a decisive penalty with an act of simulation or the likes.

Just now, Locky said:

What did he actually do? Guessing he's just dived? 

Either way, this sort of behaviour always will continue in football because it's widely accepted across the board. It's easy to point the finger in the name of sportsmanship, but there's not a manager, player or supporter who wouldn't be happy to take a decisive penalty with an act of simulation or the likes.

He did this

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

So Oliver Burke v. Hibs?

Or was it St. Johnstone.

Scott Sinclair and Jermaine Defoe v anybody every week

The White Cockade

it's  a strange one

I am all for kicking diving out of the game

but if a referee sees it it's only a yellow card

but if he misses it it's a 2 game ban

does that not mean refs should be sending guys off for diving rather than booking them?

12 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

So Oliver Burke v. Hibs?

Or was it St. Johnstone.

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Scott Sinclair and Jermaine Defoe v anybody every week

Some here. Ryan Christie too.

47 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

And min 3 match ban for unsuccessful deception too.

Maroon Sailor

After watching those Celtic players and the lack of charges against them it's no wonder they keep doing it week in week out.

No surprise Cardinal Callum pointing to the spot 5 seconds before the player goes down as well

It was a disgrace. Obviously it could be a huge decision in terms of promotion for West Brom. A minute after it Forest were then denied a clearer penalty when a WB defender had their hands all over a Forest striker as he was going into the box.

Apparently Bristol City, who are also going for promotion, benefitted from a controversial last minute penalty also.

I'm biased though as I like Norwich :D

6 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

It was a disgrace. Obviously it could be a huge decision in terms of promotion for West Brom. A minute after it Forest were then denied a clearer penalty when a WB defender had their hands all over a Forest striker as he was going into the box.

Apparently Bristol City, who are also going for promotion, benefitted from a controversial last minute penalty also.

I'm biased though as I like Norwich :D

West Brom are heading for the play offs anyway.

2 points Forest could have done with though.  

58 minutes ago, OTT said:

Think its too worth the risk. A star striker isn't going to risk diving if he misses 5 games as a result. 

Need to change the mentality where Defoe is praised for 'drawing the foul' like some sort of ****ing artist. He's a cheat. 

Spot on

I don't like diving in the game but people suggesting a 5 match ban is just ridiculous.

Allan Mcgregor gets a 2 match ban for a tackle that could have broken a player's leg and potentially ended his career.    Yet folk are suggesting that diving is much worse than that and should get a 5 match ban.

32 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Unbelievable. Dembelies especially is a feking disgrace. That club make my blood boil

1 minute ago, TurboT said:

I don't like diving in the game but people suggesting a 5 match ban is just ridiculous.

Allan Mcgregor gets a 2 match ban for a tackle that could have broken a player's leg and potentially ended his career.    Yet folk are suggesting that diving is much worse than that and should get a 5 match ban.

Maybe

But there is something about blatant cheating. Referees are conned so it affects how games are refereed. It just leaves a bad feeling.

Of course we could just accept it. 

2 minutes ago, TurboT said:

McGregors assault would merit a 5 game ban easily. He’s an animal and has previous. Therefore should easily be taken into account and given an extended ban

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Maybe

But there is something about blatant cheating. Referees are conned so it affects how games are refereed. It just leaves a bad feeling.

Of course we could just accept it. 

I don't think we should just accept it.

Make it a red card offence rather than yellow with an automatic 1 or 2 match ban.  As it's just a yellow card offence, I think players see it like "taking one for the team" if they get caught.  If they're going to get sent off for it, I reckon it would deter them.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, TurboT said:

It's not ridiculous. If you want to get rid of this cheating then you have to have longer bans. (Celtic would have to play half their youth players if the GFA had any balls)

As for leg breaking tackles give them a 10 match ban

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

That video just goes on and on ? .

Reply to this in a few hours, I think I have some more examples but I'd need to find them later.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

How hasn’t Salah been banned retrospectively?

Scouse Celtic so no chance

4 hours ago, TurboT said:

I don't think we should just accept it.

Make it a red card offence rather than yellow with an automatic 1 or 2 match ban.  As it's just a yellow card offence, I think players see it like "taking one for the team" if they get caught.  If they're going to get sent off for it, I reckon it would deter them.

I can see this just going against us. 

Hearts player goes down in the box, legitimately under a bad challenge, and gets sent off for diving...

14 hours ago, OTT said:

The skills of our referees would have to greatly increase to avoid f..king this up.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Cal_ said:

In the Gayle case it looks like he gets a kick in the toe. Goes down strangely but still think he took a kick first.

Look at it again - no contact at all. He anticipated it hence the jump in the air

As long as you get arseholes like Andy Walker claiming that 'if he felt contact he's entitled to go down' then you're always going to have debate.

I'm in the 'if it's not enough force to cause the player to alter his intentions, then play on' camp. That of course assumes the referee makes the judgement call that the player ought to be intending to create the best goal-scoring opportunity.

3 hours ago, Section Q said:

The skills of our referees would have to greatly increase to avoid f..king this up.

Some know exactly what they are doing in certain curcumstances involving certain clubs.

3 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Look at it again - no contact at all. He anticipated it hence the jump in the air

Yep you're right. Better video on youtube.

Playing devils advocate but if you pulled your foot back to avoid contact and all your weight was moving forward there is a chance that you would jump like that to get out the way of the oncoming defender. 

I would lean towards dive though now after re-watching it.

So, we give licence to the referees up here to send off non-Uglies players if there is only minimal contact as if minimal contact is not a foul.  When somebody is going at speed and is "brushed" it can genuinely send them down.  We've seen yellows given when it was a foul on a number of occasions.

The real problem is the referee who sees the likes of a clear dive and does nothing.

Paranoia hat on - could referees deliberately not book a player knowing that the Compliance Officer will ban them for diving for at least 2 games.  How to weaken certain teams - Lesson 13 in the Match Officials SFA Cheating Book.

PS Of course, it will be different in the 5/6 year old, "Old" Firm game!

Gayle banned and misses matches against Villa and QPR

Good news. West Brom getting close to top and automatic promotion place. 

Sends a message too. Small step to fairer football. 

Maroon Sailor

What a surprise in the Celtic match. Less than a minute in and Forrest makes sure he gets inside the penalty area before throwing himself to the floor. What is it with this lot ? Are they programmed to look for penalties every match ?

What a surprise in the Celtic match. Less than a minute in and Forrest makes sure he gets inside the penalty area before throwing himself to the floor. What is it with this lot ? Are they programmed to look for penalties every match ?

That compilation that is going around  certainly suggests so.

Much more diving since Rodgers came in. 

"Back in the day", anyone trying that would be deposited into Row Z by an ugly centre back and the referee would just tell them to get on with it. There is no immediate deterrent unfortunately. 

Maroon Sailor

Ha ha ha Forrest at it again - soon as he manages to bundle his way in to the area down he goes 

It's laughable - well seen it's not Cardinal Collum as the ref

On 13/02/2019 at 18:20, The White Cockade said:

it's  a strange one

I am all for kicking diving out of the game

but if a referee sees it it's only a yellow card

but if he misses it it's a 2 game ban

does that not mean refs should be sending guys off for diving rather than booking them?

Strange, indeed. The punishment should be consistently applied to the crime, regardless of whether or not the ref deemed it a dive at the time or not. Right now, it is worth the risk. One scenario sees you winning a penalty and maybe getting banned later, another simply sees you getting booked. Either way, neither is much of a disincentive if a game is hanging in the balance...

6 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Ha ha ha Forrest at it again - soon as he manages to bundle his way in to the area down he goes 

It's laughable - well seen it's not Cardinal Collum as the ref

Video?

On 13/02/2019 at 18:58, TurboT said:

I tend to agree, it also seems ridiculous  that a player would get a yellow for diving and getting busted but much worse for diving and not being caught at the time - the only real difference between the two is the competence of the referee and it doesn't make sense to increase a punishment because of that.

Jambo, Goodbye
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I tend to agree, it also seems ridiculous  that a player would get a yellow for diving and getting busted but much worse for diving and not being caught at the time - the only real difference between the two is the competence of the referee and it doesn't make sense to increase a punishment because of that.

It makes sense if the player diving wins a penalty and his team pick up undeserved points.

Maybe a more severe punishment is seen as a way to balance out that team's points over the immediate couple of games?

3 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

It makes sense if the player diving wins a penalty and his team pick up undeserved points.

Maybe a more severe punishment is seen as a way to balance out that team's points over the immediate couple of games?

I do get your point, I just can't get past the concept of the severity of punishment being based on how hard the ref ****ed up

I P Knightley
On 14/02/2019 at 08:14, Cal_ said:

In the Gayle case it looks like he gets a kick in the toe. Goes down strangely but still think he took a kick first.

His toe?

You'd have to hit my toe with something much larger than a Nottingham Forest defender to make me jump that high.

Only goes to show how soft the game's become that any referee gives that as a foul.

On 14/02/2019 at 08:14, Cal_ said:

Watch it again mate, the second angle is pretty definitive - there was no contact

Jambo, Goodbye
48 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I do get your point, I just can't get past the concept of the severity of punishment being based on how hard the ref ****ed up

It's a strange one right enough. 

Maroon Sailor
55 minutes ago, Smithee said:

The ref fecked up because he was deceived. Gayle stays on his feet as there is no contact then the ref doesn't award a penalty.

The ref fecked up because he was deceived. Gayle stays on his feet as there is no contact then the ref doesn't award a penalty.

Thank you Captain Obvious! :D

Seriously though, I get all that, but the crime is exactly the same whether the ref cottons on or not - diving is a yellow card offence.

It just doesn't seem right to me to increase that because of what the ref did next.