Safe Standing at Tynecastle.

Notts1874

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, iainmac said:

People won't be sitting in a safe standing section surely? Kind of defeats the purpose - more of a safety requirement. 

What about European competition?

Edit. Apologies already answered

Edited by Sir Gio

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sarah O

• davemclaren

• Phil Dunphy

• Famous 1874

33 minutes ago, troonmaroon said:

Why not? EG lower section N would be fine if we closed just the top row of that section. That said, I thought it was that our stand is too steep for the 'safe standing'. But perhaps these new style seats are allowed on slightly steeper stands... 

People to the side of N May have their view restricted down the wing. Also cannot see leaving rows empty as viable. The only reason to choose these seats rather than the ones Celtic use is to make sure everyone can see

1 hour ago, Boab said:

They are !

Hannover, for instance, 5,700 fans stand in an area of 3,000 rail seats.

https://www.dw.com/en/safe-standing-how-does-it-work-in-germany/a-47328501

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/standing/what-does-standing-look-like/

Edited by kingdannyb

49 minutes ago, troonmaroon said:

Why not? EG lower section N would be fine if we closed just the top row of that section. That said, I thought it was that our stand is too steep for the 'safe standing'. But perhaps these new style seats are allowed on slightly steeper stands... 

I am assured by a Motherwell fan I know that you can’t see the goal below you in certain parts of the Roseburn if everyone is standing. 

He is a bit of a short arse mind. 

Edited by JCR

been here before
11 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Folk still trotting out the lies about Lower N blocking folks views, aye?

Sound. 

Oh no not again... not another one of your Section N 'wobbles'?

Hopefully we've got it covered this time...

Breakdown-Direct.png.6d334a257a05c50e528d2aac4f3cd923.png

With a bit of luck if caught early you may not go into full meltdown mode again.

Edited by been here before

3 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

It looks as if they're only in for a demonstration. One row has two seats, the other has three. 

Also, they look like they're wider than normal seats (that section is currently four wide). Might lose a little capacity by putting them in.  

Of course, all of this is just from looking at two pictures. I could be wrong, but regardless would love standing back at Tynie. 

I used to love standing when I was younger. Now I'm much older I think I'd prefer my own seat. Anyway safe standing will never be close to standing at the back of The Shed. How I miss those days :sob

41 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Folk still trotting out the lies about Lower N blocking folks views, aye?

Sound. 

Folk still trotting out lies about Lower N not blocking folks views aye? DSC_0854.thumb.JPG.51b2ffedeaf729404ce321fec5e6aa01.JPG

35 minutes ago, JCR said:

I am assured by a Motherwell fan I know that you can’t see the goal below you in certain parts of the Roseburn if everyone is standing. 

He is a bit of a short arse mind. 

Quite ironic coming from a Motherwell fan. They’re away stand is awful from this point of view. Ideally safe standing in sections G and N. And lower Gorgie.

22 minutes ago, viva hate said:

Folk still trotting out lies about Lower N not blocking folks views aye? DSC_0854.thumb.JPG.51b2ffedeaf729404ce321fec5e6aa01.JPG

Looks like the steward is a greater obstruction. Should do away with them. 

I am still not sure if this is worthwhile   

Safe standing has to have the same space as a seat, so it can be converted, and you will still have a ‘seat’ number, meaning you will have this spot you can’ move from.  

Not the same aa actual, proper standing areas, where you can move about, and jump about, like a dafty. 

Don't think European games is a problem. Haven't been to a proper European tie in a stadium with standing, but I've been to the Veltins Arena many times and I couldn't imagine the Nordkurve having temporary seating. 

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Don't think European games is a problem. Haven't been to a proper European tie in a stadium with standing, but I've been to the Veltins Arena many times and I couldn't imagine the Nordkurve having temporary seating. 

I think they have fold down seats iirc

If safe standing were to come off, can’t see it being the Gorgie as this is where a good number of our hospitality sit?

1 minute ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

If safe standing were to come off, can’t see it being the Gorgie as this is where a good number of our hospitality sit?

Sure there will be far more scope for hospitality when the main stand is finally completed.

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Sure there will be far more scope for hospitality when the main stand is finally completed.

There are no plans to close the Gorgie Suite, it will still be the ‘main’ hospitality offering going forward. It’s where the match sponsor will continue to be hosted. (Source, Hearts Commercial Dept.)

33 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Surely if the lower Gorgie was safe standing it wouldn't affect the upper sections. Same for the Roseburn.

The lower sections of the Wheatfield and the Main stand would be more problematic due to disabled areas.

28 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Surely if the lower Gorgie was safe standing it wouldn't affect the upper sections. Same for the Roseburn.

The lower sections of the Wheatfield and the Main stand would be more problematic due to disabled areas.

Ah, my bad. I thought the poster suggesting the Gorgie meant the whole stand as safe standing and not just the lower...

3 hours ago, Ribble said:

Then they'll need to buy a ticket for a seated section, the safe standing seats are locked in place.

Safe standing also allows for more fans than seats e.g 3 people standing for every 2 seated so you wouldn't actually have an allocated seat to sit in!

Pretty sure that the SFA or SPFL stated that it is a 1 to 1 ratio unlike in Germany where I think its 1.7 standing to every 1 seated.

2 hours ago, kingdannyb said:

This is why I thought the EPL would be all over it. It looks like they are slowly coming round but needs to be legally agreed down there first. 

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

It does affect the upper sections, particularly the first couple of rows. However if these seats were installed in an entire stand eg Gorgie, it would allow the club to create standing areas and increase/decrease this depending on demand. 

Perth to Paisley
7 hours ago, Jodami said:

You can only use safe standing in domestic games, all European matches must be all seated. I think it is ridiculous quite honestly but that is the UEFA and FIFA ruling. 

That's my understanding as well.

1 hour ago, kingdannyb said:

But the SPFL think they can run football better than the Germans.

The can, and have been very successfully  for years. 

Spoiler

Sorry, thought you said ruin. 

38 minutes ago, Tott said:

Stick all the front enclosures to safe standing for a season.

Its people standing up ffs,most of us are quite good at it.

Where do you suggest the ambulant disabled supporters go?

1 minute ago, Dunks said:

Ask ann,didnt she sign off on this stadium?

Lower level standing is so steep,would  it obsruct the view from the level concourse?

11 minutes ago, Tott said:

Ask ann,didnt she sign off on this stadium?

Lower level standing is so steep,would  it obsruct the view from the level concourse?

Yes - it obstructs it now. Fine when folk are seated though, as per stadium design :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Dunks said:

Yes - it obstructs it now. Fine when folk are seated though, as per stadium design :thumbsup:

Its football though..

as pish and dull as were under levein

now and again fans will stand up...probably once  every 5 weeks.

15 hours ago, Ribble said:

It's not legally restricted to 1:1 ratio, but where clubs struggle to increase capacity through safe standing is both on the depth of each row and also the width of exits. Our stands will have all been designed to allow for the safe coming and going of the seated capacity. Increasing capacity may mean that we'd also need to widen the vomitories and potentially increase things like toilet numbers too.

That's not true in Scotland according to everything that has ever been written on the subject. It has to be 1:1 ratio. Was widely reported in the media at the time?

You need to have seats legally for European games, so everyone would get a ticket with a standing area which would have a seat against it for European games.

That is part of the issue that Budge raised. It would cost more than seated, for no increase in attendance. This is part of the reason why in my view should be a one off FOH project or something like that. 

I'd be all for it, but every time this chat comes up on here people talk about it increasing attendances, which patently isn't true given the regulation. I'd love to have it, and personally i'd pay a bit more to stand. But i'm 99.9% sure from all we've read on it that it has to be a 1:1 ratio in Scotland. I cannot talk for Germany/Austria, but i also seem to remember Celtic mentioning this. 

Governor Tarkin
6 hours ago, Dunks said:

The pub.

Far more fun and constructive way of spending an afternoon than watching Levein's Hearts.

I doubt there is suitable appetite amongst our support to have the whole Gorgie stand standing.  

I get that a few folk want it, fair enough. But i'd be stunned if 2-3k would want it and actually want to be there for every game and crucially PAY to be there.  Standing up for a whole game V Livi in January on a Wednesday night for example. I know it's not for me. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Standing up for a whole game V Livi in January on a Wednesday night for example. 

You're probably right about the general appetite for it, but a cold midweek in January is exactly the time I want to be standing up!

2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You're probably right about the general appetite for it, but a cold midweek in January is exactly the time I want to be standing up!

Nah, I like a good slouch in my padded seat cowered over my Bovril. Should the game be dull, catch up on some Z's. 

:jj: 

19 hours ago, XB52 said:

According to a poster of another football site, Kilmarnock are looking to bring this in. Would like the whole of section G made safe standing as it wouldn't spoil the view for anyone in other sections. Can't understand the idea that the steepness of the stand rules this out as people are standing in there already and everyone stands at some points during the game. Having a rail in front of every fan makes it a lot safer than the current seats

Kilmarnock would be better off improving their playing surface surely.....!

6 minutes ago, ericb said:

Why don't we just do it the other way round? Section N upper safe standing and lower seated? Add in G if enough demand.

Because lower sections P and S perhaps would have their view of the near touch line blocked by all the folk standing? 

Phil D. Corners
2 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Because lower sections P and S perhaps would have their view of the near touch line blocked by all the folk standing? 

Mark the seats as restricted view. 

Just now, Phil D. Corners said:

Mark the seats as restricted view. 

That would be mental in my opinion. 2 sections of restricted view seats (probably having to sell them cheaper) so 1 section can stand? 

No thanks. 

Phil D. Corners
3 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

That would be mental in my opinion. 2 sections of restricted view seats (probably having to sell them cheaper) so 1 section can stand? 

No thanks. 

I don’t think we would need to discount 2 full sections. Maybe just a couple seats at the end of each row. I can’t think how it would look if I’m honest. 

But I would put the standing section in the Georgie stand. 

24 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

What are P and S Lower looking at if N Upper is restricting their view?

2 hours ago, Section Q said:

Kilmarnock would be better off improving their playing surface surely.....!

They are replacing their pitch this summer, another plastic one though

43 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Just what I was thinking.

15 minutes ago, XB52 said:

They are replacing their pitch this summer, another plastic one though

Controversial maybe but all teams in our top division should play on grass. 

2 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Nope, I've read that back four times and don't understand. How can someones view be blocked by someone standing behind them?

7 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I'm talking about the lower sections