Champions League round of 16 - week 1

Midloth_Iain

Tuesday

Man Utd v PSG  -  Utd to edge 1st leg  (2-1)

Roma v Porto - draw (2-2)

Wednesday

Ajax v Real Madrid - Madrid  (1-2)

Spurs v Dortmund - draw (2-2)

About time we had some exciting games

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil Dunphy

• The Bookkeeper

• Jambof3tornado

• Mikey1874

NaturalOrder74

Purely from a betting perspective I think man united are great value tonight, think they’ll win by a goal or two

roma should get the better of Porto 

unsure about my prediction for tomorrow’s games but Tottenham game should be an absolute cracker to watch 

Both Man U and PSG accumulating a fair few yellows, a red before half time maybe

Not the most entertaining game, some good balls in but some poor passing too from both teams

The Bookkeeper
13 minutes ago, kila said:

Both Man U and PSG accumulating a fair few yellows, a red before half time maybe

Not the most entertaining game, some good balls in but some poor passing too from both teams

Utd, however they achieve it somehow need to win this 1-0 to stand a chance. I don't give them a prayer in Paris if things are level.

4 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

The United game has been pretty shite tbf.

Did you really expect more ?

After watching the thug Ashley Young it tells you all you need to know about Manchester United

9 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Did you really expect more ?

After watching the thug Ashley Young it tells you all you need to know about Manchester United

Jesus mate, have a day off.

5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Jesus mate, have a day off.

Whats up..not enjoying events..I'm enjoying this

The usual second rate United support throwing bottles as well

You hand it out but just can't take it

Just now, CJGJ said:

Whats up..not enjoying events..I'm enjoying this

The usual second rate United support throwing bottles as well

You hand it out but just can't take it

I'm a Hearts supporter, thanks.

I don't need to attach myself to an English club because they win things :) 

The Bookkeeper
32 minutes ago, The Bookkeeper said:

Utd, however they achieve it somehow need to win this 1-0 to stand a chance. I don't give them a prayer in Paris if things are level.

What I meant to say was I don't give Utd a prayer in general. PSG are miles ahead of them, absolutely miles and this without 2 of the world's greatest strikers available. 

4 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I'm a Hearts supporter, thanks.

I don't need to attach myself to an English club because they win things :) 

I can't remember when Liverpool last won anything so kind of knocks your point out the park ;)

Can't wait for the pro United media rhetoric of 'it's best to get knocked out of the CL now so they can concentrate on 4th place, and qualification for next year'.

:levein2:

Just now, CJGJ said:

I can't remember when Liverpool last won anything so kind of knocks your point out the park ;)

Of course you can. It'l be printed on your Liverpool FC bed covers.

A_A wehatethehibs

Class of player is not there for United. Guys like Shaw, Rashford, Young, they are just not the top top players you need... That back 4 is just nowhere near. 

Solskaer has done phenomenal to get them all feeling positive and confident, getting some results from games. 

Now the actual hard part starts for Ole... he’s got to put some quality players into the Man United shirts which are currently filled by average players. A big job on tonight’s evidence. 

rudi must stay
9 minutes ago, The Bookkeeper said:

What I meant to say was I don't give Utd a prayer in general. PSG are miles ahead of them, absolutely miles and this without 2 of the world's greatest strikers available. 

Very few Man Utd players have looked good enough to hurt PSG, Pogba has, I like Lingard he works hard and Martial is a talented player who will improve. But I agree with other posters (even if they're comments are in jest) that Solksjaer has got in wrong here. They are the home team, have a go, in the first half the players would chose a backwards pass or sideways one instead of an attacking one, I think they were playing for a draw. And they obviously haven't got one. I don't see any reason not to have a go, especially without Neymar

Jambof3tornado
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Class of player is not there for United. Guys like Shaw, Rashford, Young, they are just not the top top players you need... That back 4 is just nowhere near. 

Solskaer has done phenomenal to get them all feeling positive and confident, getting some results from games. 

Now the actual hard part starts for Ole... he’s got to put some quality players into the Man United shirts which are currently filled by average players. A big job on tonight’s evidence. 

They do look worlds apart on tonights showing alone.

Ole wont be judged on this tie, but on where they end the season.

For all the talk of Neymar/Cavani being out for PSG, Martial and Lingard going off injured has done far more damage to United than those did for Paris.

The Bookkeeper
6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Very few Man Utd players have looked good enough to hurt PSG, Pogba has, I like Lingard he works hard and Martial is a talented player who will improve. But I agree with other posters (even if they're comments are in jest) that Solksjaer has got in wrong here. They are the home team, have a go, in the first half the players would chose a backwards pass or sideways one instead of an attacking one, I think they were playing for a draw. And they obviously haven't got one. I don't see any reason not to have a go, especially without Neymar

I was busy so only watched the highlights of the first half as well as the entire second half. It's possible they did approach it with tactically the wrong game plan but for me its very simple, despite their recent resurgence against mostly mediocre EPL opposition Utd are streets behind Europe's elite (including City and Liverpool, especially the former at this level). PSG may not win it all but they have again improved this season and to me look a real danger if they defend well which they have done tonight. Solksjaer has of course reinvigorated Utd but they are well short in terms of having a depth of top top players which can't be said about this PSG side, its packed full of world class players. Only De Gea and Pogba would get near their starting team.

Edited by The Bookkeeper

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

For all the talk of Neymar/Cavani being out for PSG, Martial and Lingard going off injured has done far more damage to United than those did for Paris.

Neither of them had any impact on the game when they were on the pitch.

Deserved sending off......United now unable to cope with the pressure it ....nor does Ole it seems

The fans clearly giving United 100% backing

Edited by CJGJ

Just now, The Bookkeeper said:

Pogba off. Doubt that will help them :rofl:

big learning curve for Solskjaer. Major rebuild required.

The Bookkeeper
6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

No team with Ashley Young in it is going to win the Champions League. Likewise Juan mata

Mata played (he actually was their only penalty miss) in Chelsea's Champions League Final win over Bayern Munich in 2012....but I'd agree with your point in 2019! 

2 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Juan-Mata-Champions-League.jpg

7 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

No team with Ashley Young in it is going to win the Champions League. Likewise Juan mata

Strangely due to scheduling both Mata and Torres were reigning World Cup , European Championship, Champions League and Uefa Cup holders all at the same time

26 minutes ago, Ryan Jarman said:

Can't wait for the pro United media rhetoric of 'it's best to get knocked out of the CL now so they can concentrate on 4th place, and qualification for next year'.

:levein2:

Rio Ferdinand starts it by telling us the defeat may not be a bad thing :whistling:

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

So a team with Juan Mata did win the Champions League? Ok.

And the Uefa Cup and the world Cup and the European championships....