Gordon Banks

Mikey1874

SpruceBringsteen
1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Surely trolling

Afraid not. I honestly don't think it's that impressive - have seen Rousset, Niemi and Gordon all pull off better saves.

(Now if I was trolling, I'd have added Kurskis to that list. :lol:)

15 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Interresting Banks is wearing gloves in this game. Absolutely brilliant save. Look again at how high Pele gets off the ground to get the header in the first place. My first world cup I remember as a laddie. I was only 7yrs old.

I was about to turn 5 - can remember thinking that England's first strip was all white. They changed, of course, so that their blue shorts wouldn't clash with Brazil's. What I hadn't noticed until @Maroon Sailor's clear colour photo was that Brazil had changed their socks (so as not to clash with England's white socks) to grey.

RIP Gordon Banks

alwaysthereinspirit
12 hours ago, Jeff said:

How can anyone say it's an overrated save? The balls behind him... it's incredible

Trolling is an art. You have to hand pick your moments. 

2 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Afraid not. I honestly don't think it's that impressive - have seen Rousset, Niemi and Gordon all pull off better saves.

All about opinions I suppose. I’ve never seen a better one

4 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Ever played in goal?

i have, for 30 years. 

Its an amazing save due to the pace of the header, the trajectory and how he pushes it high to safety and not into the roof of the net, the ground he covers to get to it and the fact that it’s basically behind him when he contacts it. Stop talking shite

2 hours ago, mayfield said:

Ever played in goal?

i have, for 30 years. 

Its an amazing save due to the pace of the header, the trajectory and how he pushes it high to safety and not into the roof of the net, the ground he covers to get to it and the fact that it’s basically behind him when he contacts it. Stop talking shite

It's a great save, but Seaman and Gordon produced 2 better I can think of.

Some keeper, probably 3rd  best behind Yashin and Buffon for me.

Edited by ri Alban

5 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

All about opinions I suppose. I’ve never seen a better one

Perhaps this one in the last few minutes of a League Cup Semi tie - (which West Ham player also saved a penalty in those League Cup semis, although the rebound was tucked away)?

In 1974 I travelled down to see Stoke v Ajax in the UEFA Cup. On the morning of the game I went to Stoke's training ground. Banks had retired by this point - John Farmer was the 'keeper. I watched the team train and was invited to have lunch with Banks after the session. Stoke drew 1-1 with Ajax (Ruud Krol scoring for the Dutch) and pummelled Ajax  to a 0-0 draw in Amsterdam, going out on away goals. Pete Keizer, Johnny Rep and Arie Haan were in the away team. Denis Smith scored Stoke's equaliser. Those two wonderful talents, Jimmy Greenhoff and Alan Hudson, were also playing.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Perhaps this one in the last few minutes of a League Cup Semi tie - (which West Ham player also saved a penalty in those League Cup semis, although the rebound was tucked away)?

It was a great save but agree it has been overhyped. Doesn't take away from the fact he was a brilliant keeper and maybe not the time to start arguing about it. Seems to have been a really down to earth guy as well as a great keeper so RIP

4 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Without watching Bobby Moore? I hadn’t seen above when I posted. I was 9 at the time. Proper football in those days. You had to assault someone to get a foul 

Edited by Jamhammer

10 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Without watching Bobby Moore? I hadn’t seen above when I posted. I was 9 at the time. Proper football in those days. You had to assault someone to get a foul 

Yes, they stuck Moore in goal when Ferguson got injured. Proof that dodgy management at WHU is not a modern phenomenon. 

That pitch though :sweeet:

J.T.F.Robertson
20 hours ago, corryjambo said:

Disgraceful behaviour Mr Robertson, it was 10 years later until I was able to get on the pitch.

My bit of turf got lost somewhere near Trafalgar Square that evening. Gutted.

Guilty m'lud! Would willingly turn myself in even now but for the Statute of Limitations. :(

Was also at the one you refer to, in fact was at 6 consecutive "Wembleys" starting with '67, but having "been there and done that" I merely tut-tutted and stayed where I was.

5 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yes, they stuck Moore in goal when Ferguson got injured. Proof that dodgy management at WHU is not a modern phenomenon. 

That pitch though :sweeet:

Moore must be one of the classiest defenders to ever play the game. Made it look so easy. (Just from footage I've seen)

16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Moore must be one of the classiest defenders to ever play the game. Made it look so easy. (Just from footage I've seen)

Him and Beckenbauer probably two of the greatest readers of the game ever.

The White Cockade
4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Him and Beckenbauer probably two of the greatest readers of the game ever.

What about Crawford Boyd?

:clyay: