Gordon Banks

Mikey1874

Wonderful goalkeeper in the days before gloves 3 x the size of the keeper's hands were considered the norm. Brilliant shot stopper and from all that I've seen and heard, an all round lovely human being. Best wishes to his family at this sad time. 

One of the finest goalkeepers it was my pleasure to have seen play. As a laddie grown up. My three goalkeeping heroes were. Jim Cruikshank,  Gordon Banks and Pat Jennings. 

My condolences to all the Banks family RIP Gordon Banks.

10 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

RIP.

Pulled off the second-best save of all time.

The first was obviously CG's late one against Motherwell.

Was that the save against Brazil ?, RIP Gordon, was a joy to watch you play.

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Was that the save against Brazil ?, RIP Gordon, was a joy to watch you play.

I think he was talking about this one.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_DzMrsD5XcAABh3S.jpg

1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Interresting Banks is wearing gloves in this game. Absolutely brilliant save. Look again at how high Pele gets off the ground to get the header in the first place. My first world cup I remember as a laddie. I was only 7yrs old.

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Interresting Banks is wearing gloves in this game. Absolutely brilliant save. Look again at how high Pele gets off the ground to get the header in the first place. My first world cup I remember as a laddie. I was only 7yrs old.

Text book header as well

Maroon Sailor

IMG_3070.JPG.0b86469218f1311daeac49180d43a47c.JPGIMG_3069.JPG.cf1485ed2d9a2299ed18c66033c0abd4.JPG

After the save - Banks then rose to his feet to defend the corner, and broke into laughter after the following exchange: "I thought that was a goal." (Pelé) - "You and me both." (Banks) - "You're getting old, Banksy, you used to hold on to them." (Bobby Moore)

RIP to a fine keeper and a gentleman.

i have to say it was David Coleman (that fine unbiased English commentator) who unilaterally christened Banks “the best goalkeeper in the world”.

That then seemed to morphe into a fact - give me a Jim Cruickshank any day!

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Gambo said:

A very over rated save though..

Course it is - He was playing for England

There is one ex player who firmly believes he made a better save from him in a game. The player is Denis Law. What game is he talking about?

6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

There is one ex player who firmly believes he made a better save from him in a game. The player is Denis Law. What game is he talking about?

1967 game?

About 2:15 in...

8 minutes ago, Boris said:

1967 game?

About 2:15 in...

Boris spot on. Law reckons that save is Banks best.

peebles jambo
2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

RIP.

Pulled off the second-best save of all time.

The first was obviously CG's late one against Motherwell.

I would those two saves in the opposite order, two magnificent saves

Biggest compliment I can give the guy - I never hated him., which for an English player speaks volumes.  He was old school though and is hard to have beef with what he and his team mates achieved in 66.

Maroon Sailor
45 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Biggest compliment I can give the guy - I never hated him., which for an English player speaks volumes.  He was old school though and is hard to have beef with what he and his team mates achieved in 66.

With the help of a linesman

I met him at a  sportsman's do about 5 or 6 years ago and he came across as a really humble ,' likeable guy who in his own words only became a 'keeper by chance and had a lot of good fortune (the story about him starting out at Chesterfield is amazing). 

Listening to the radio this morning and half of England banging on about "that save" makes me laugh because at that do, Banks had a framed picture of "that save" which he was putting up for auction with the offer of his signature and any message the buyer wanted on it. He didn't get one bid. 

willie wallace

We put 3 past him in consecutive games either side of their world cup win?

I was at the 1966 game at Hampden where unfortunately they got 4?

Sad to see another football legend go.

5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

So, you more or less hate all English footballers?

2 hours ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

Was there. :)

On the field anaw. :peepwall:

Disgraceful behaviour Mr Robertson, it was 10 years later until I was able to get on the pitch.

My bit of turf got lost somewhere near Trafalgar Square that evening. Gutted.

That save, regardless of your hatred for the English has to be seen as a great one. To stop it is one thing but to get it over the bar is unbelievable

18 minutes ago, Morgan said:

So, you more or less hate all English footballers?

Not of Banks day - no way.

These tattoo covered, over hyped spank stains nowadays - hell yeah.

3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Not of Banks day - no way.

These tattoo covered, over hyped spank stains nowadays - hell yeah.

:thumbsup: 

I can relate to that!

Maroon Sailor
33 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

That save, regardless of your hatred for the English has to be seen as a great one. To stop it is one thing but to get it over the bar is unbelievable

Don't think he knew much about getting it over the bar. He just threw himself at the ball

I had the pleasure to meet and actually play against the great man. A true gentleman.

He played in a charity match against our university 5-aside team down near stoke in 1980.

A lovely guy. Turned up a couple of hours early and chatted to us and had a good knock about before the game.

Stuck around afterwards to chat. Very humble about his achievements. I did ask him about that save, which was superb, but he just laughed and said it was lucky.

Anyway, I put a few past him in the game. Yes it was after his car accident, but I can still claim I put 6 past Gordon banks.

RIP.