Si Ferry meets Paul Hartley

Ari Gold

5 hours ago, communist said:

I don't understand the hate toward Si Ferry, maybe its a generational thing. Not watched the Hartley one yet but I'm looking forward to it later on. 

I find all his "bantz" excruciating. He's basically a Ned with a platform. At least he's discovered socks.

He does seem to get some good stories, though, and it seems to have an audience so fair play to him. I just can't bear to watch them.

Myth busted a few of the claims on here regarding Levein and Pressley. Good to know that the eejits amongst the Hearts support couldn’t spot a player back when he signed either. Dennis Wyness!

Good interview especially the hearts stories tho can tell they have been exaggerated. Thought he could have been a future manager but he seems old school already!

rudi must stay

That took care of an hour and a bit, cheers to the OP. You can see there Paul Hartley has a great personality, and is a football man. 

9 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Good interview especially the hearts stories tho can tell they have been exaggerated. Thought he could have been a future manager but he seems old school already!

Yes there wasn't much there that suggested he could be a good manager I agree, maybe he was being humble though 

29 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I fairly sure nothing was exaggerated about what he said about the stories he told about his time with us.

Really enjoyed that interview - especially reminiscing about the start of the 05/06 season. Really was a special time to be following Hearts - genuinely felt like we could have taken on some of the best in the EPL at that time.  

The biggest take away for me was the stuff on Burley resigning. We'd heard rumours for years about various things that may or may not have happened - and PH might be missing some bits out - but it seems like him leaving the club came down to us not winning at Parkhead and Romanov wanting input into team selection. 

Also, Rix was on the suggestion of Gianluca Vialli after he turned it down. Cheers for that one Gianluca! 

Forever Hearts
45 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

If anything he probably understated just how mental the Vlad years were. I didn't get the impression he was exaggerating at all. 

2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

The exact opposite in fact. I was obvious from the section where he said he had enough material to write a book that he was he wasn't fully exposing the carnage of that period.

Samuel Camazzola
14 hours ago, Boris said:

Interesting comments regards Rix. 

Consistent comments regarding Rix's coaching credentials. A lot of Chelsea players mention him as the best coach they've ever worked with. Caviar! ? 

Good to hear someone like Hartley confirm the team selection v Dundee United story. I was told of this at the time by an acquaintance of Webster and thought it had been exaggerated. The timings of the subs had been pre planned and instructed to Rix. 

I remember when he scored at Almondvale early on in the 05/06 season he went running to the hearts fans and for a split second looked like he was going to kiss the badge.  I think he forgot at that point he supported Celtic and got caught up in the moment.  He loved us and we loved him!  

Some of the Si Ferry interviews on Spotify.

Listening to a podcast with Si Ferry and Craig Beattie as guests.

The Open Goal is it's name.

Edited by benny

Now we know why we never gave Athens a game. 

Superb interview with no stone unturned. I mind being at the methadome for a cup game when the shit was hitting the fan and just about every first team player was sitting beside us as Romanov has dropped them all. We got beat with not a shot at goal. The penny well and truly dropped that night and it was obviously not going to end well.

well done PH for being the first to publicly spill

23 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Exaggerated ? Not a chance

On 11/02/2019 at 19:41, Ari Gold said:

Simon Ferry interviews Paul Hartley.

https://www.open-goal.co.uk/category/simeets/paul-hartley/

Fair bit on time at hearts. Pretty clear how much he enjoyed his time with us.

Bonuses in 05-06 were insane.

Legend

Mad. 

If my sums are correct that means after 8 wins on the bounce SPH earned £26,000 on win bonuses only. Fek me!

Plus his salary plus appearance money. 

Kerchiiiing!

The Vlad times were batshit! 

The Romanov stories exaggerated??

FFS are people still being thick as pig shit about what a ***** Romanov was ?

Edited by Jammy T

portobellojambo1
On 12/02/2019 at 21:08, Newton51 said:

Nothing that Paul Hartley said about the period Romanov was here was exaggerated in any way, in fact the full truth still hasn't appeared in print as yet. It was quite frightening on here at the time in terms of the number of people who were happy to deny that he was having any involvement in team selection while castigating those who were posting such things. Probably just as bad were those people who kept going on about how much of his personal money was going into the club, when the correct rounded down figure was actually £0. There are undoubtedly an awful lot of people to be grateful to that their money was being used, the unfortunate thing was they didn't have a clue it was actually  happening until it was way too late.

Think Ferry is getting better.

First interview I watched of him he was really irritating.

He's laying it on less thick now and just letting his guests do most of the chat and it's much better.

Credit to him as well, he's the first person that's actually given decent interview time to so many pros. In particular probably the first person to get any proper Vlad-era stories.

It's great to hear of Levein tearing shreds off PH after Easter rd

AlphonseCapone

Amazing interview. Write that book SPH! 

On Si Ferry, I've warmed to him over the course of the interviews he does. His accent is criminal but besides that he clearly has a talent for making players feel at ease and opening up. The interviews he does are far more enlightening than most out there and it's great someone is opening up Scottish football to us fans in this way. 

18 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Amazing interview. Write that book SPH! 

On Si Ferry, I've warmed to him over the course of the interviews he does. His accent is criminal but besides that he clearly has a talent for making players feel at ease and opening up. The interviews he does are far more enlightening than most out there and it's great someone is opening up Scottish football to us fans in this way. 

That’s where I am.  

Great interview, the best of all the Ferry ones.  Looks like the Evening News is going to run a story per day from this interview for the next week....

I initially found Ferry a bit annoying but he's quite self-depreciating and his way makes the guests feel at ease.  He absolutely loves banter - he always seems to ask "was the banter good aye?" which I initially found infuriating but now kinda amuses me.  In some ways his total lack of opinion and input aside from the odd "big Gravesen was mental eh?" makes him a great interviewer.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Romanov eh. Absolute madness, but what a team. We were screwed regardless, even before he came.

SPH, Rudi, Takis ripping it up, it was a happy part of the journey. FFS even Clum scored for fun in that team.

Think the semi, SPH finest moment, remains an even more pleasing memory than their feeble team of 2012. They had hope in 2006, it was ruthlessly cast aside, with the 3rd 4 goal salvo of the season. Natural order indeed

I remember the 1-1 game at Parkhead well, and it was fascinating to hear that's where the problems started for Burley's boys.

Brellier taught Lennon how to play, that day. He bossed the job,

10 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Romanov eh. Absolute madness, but what a team. We were screwed regardless, even before he came.

SPH, Rudi, Takis ripping it up, it was a happy part of the journey. FFS even Clum scored for fun in that team.

Think the semi, SPH finest moment, remains an even more pleasing memory than their feeble team of 2012. They had hope in 2006, it was ruthlessly cast aside, with the 3rd 4 goal salvo of the season. Natural order indeed

What a team?

For 4 months out of 9 seasons?

22 hours ago, WageThief said:

Great interview, the best of all the Ferry ones.  Looks like the Evening News is going to run a story per day from this interview for the next week....

I initially found Ferry a bit annoying but he's quite self-depreciating and his way makes the guests feel at ease.  He absolutely loves banter - he always seems to ask "was the banter good aye?" which I initially found infuriating but now kinda amuses me.  In some ways his total lack of opinion and input aside from the odd "big Gravesen was mental eh?" makes him a great interviewer.

I found the part about Gravesen trying to drown Pressley in the pool quite amusing.  I don't think he's broken a smile again since!  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 hours ago, Jammy T said:

What a team?

For 4 months out of 9 seasons?

Not strictly true is it. As mental and disruptive as Romanov was, really he is the scapegoat, our demise and route to admin commenced many years before. But I don't want to dwell, some of those years brought days the vast majority of us will remember for the right reasons

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Watched it earlier, got as far as Ferry’s “right, now on tae sellick” but at the hour mark, might watch the rest but was good to hear the stories from SPH, a true Club legend.

Ive warmed a bit to Ferry as well but he didn’t seem as prepared this interview, got his timings mixed up a bit seemed to forget Hartley left us in the Jan window and also didn’t seem too hot on the timeline generally 2004-2006, no prompting re European games either (and hence no discussion of Bordeux, Braga, Basel). 

1 hour ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Watched it earlier, got as far as Ferry’s “right, now on tae sellick” but at the hour mark, might watch the rest but was good to hear the stories from SPH, a true Club legend.

Ive warmed a bit to Ferry as well but he didn’t seem as prepared this interview, got his timings mixed up a bit seemed to forget Hartley left us in the Jan window and also didn’t seem too hot on the timeline generally 2004-2006, no prompting re European games either (and hence no discussion of Bordeux, Braga, Basel). 

Ferry knows less about the goings on in Scottish football than your average granny (unless he is an interviewing genius) which is probably why it works so well. The production values are shocking but I enjoy it anyway. 

23 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Not strictly true is it. As mental and disruptive as Romanov was, really he is the scapegoat, our demise and route to admin commenced many years before. But I don't want to dwell, some of those years brought days the vast majority of us will remember for the right reasons

Not talking about him nearly killing us. It was a response to the ‘what a team’ comment. We only played ‘what a team’ football under Romanov for about 4 mths out of the time he was here.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Not talking about him nearly killing us. It was a response to the ‘what a team’ comment. We only played ‘what a team’ football under Romanov for about 4 mths out of the time he was here.

Still not true 

46 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Still not true 

Prove me wrong then.....

Patchy second half of season 1 - nearly lost an 11 point lead over Rangers. We had the odd game of great play after Burley left.

From season two we had to endure Ivanaskaus disappearing with stress as the team disintegrated, and Malofeev and the Korobochka/Cerevenkov/Frail, then Frail, then Csaba’s team which steadied a fast sinking ship but he evented the now oft used phrase ‘eye-bleeding football’, we then had a good 2 months under Jefferies then played shite football for most of the Sergio season, then we had the Mcglynn season then Locke.

Where is more than 4 months of ‘what a team’  football in that lot??

Edited by Jammy T

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 hours ago, Jammy T said:

Prove me wrong then.....

Patchy second half of season 1 - nearly lost an 11 point lead over Rangers. We had the odd game of great play after Burley left.

From season two we had to endure Ivanaskaus disappearing with stress as the team disintegrated, and Malofeev and the Korobochka/Cerevenkov/Frail, then Frail, then Csaba’s team which steadied a fast sinking ship but he evented the now oft used phrase ‘eye-bleeding football’, we then had a good 2 months under Jefferies then played shite football for most of the Sergio season, then we had the Mcglynn season then Locke.

Where is more than 4 months of ‘what a team’  football in that lot??

2005/6 started and ended well. Only an excellent Celtic above us. A cup. 3 derby hammerings 8 months apart. 

A Hearts team that would be at the top of the league plenty of seasons since. 

Misery to suggest otherwise

Gave it a listen as it's to be discussed on Mark and Laurie's podcast this week. Si Ferry not as annoying as I had feared, great interview listened from the start until he transferred to Celtic about an hours worth.

Never realised Paul was at Millwall great tale of players lounge being invaded by Millwall mob looking for the manager.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Samuel Camazzola

Next interview, going out on Monday is with Gary Locke. Should be an interesting listen (and a clash of two accents). 

I think Si is a closet Jambo and taking advantage of his position to talk to his idols.