Si Ferry meets Paul Hartley

Ari Gold

Just about to post myself!

Great chat from SPH...majority of interview is about his time with us...some great insight I havent heard before and as above, little nuggets re win bonus and the like, fascinating...

Oh and without going on a Levein bashing, what I wouldnt give to have that Levein back, ranting and raving but demanding every ounce as SPH touches on re his early time with us (Big David doesnt know how easy he got it recently!!!)

A must watch ☺

I loved this. He's a great interviewer, and so good to hear about those crazy times under Vlad. Did I hear him correctly - during the height of the madness of Vlad - how many players did we have on our books? 

The story about the Yacht and P Diddys nightclub was funny. Also crazy what the win bonus structure was like back then!!!

Don't mind So Ferry if I'm honest. Really enjoy these interviews, quite eye opening and informative a lot of them.

Its a cracking watch. The pre season on the yacht and the win bonuses ??

Also interesting how we ended up with Rix and how highly the players rated him.

Paul was one of the speakers at the Hearts hospitality before the 2012 final. Scott Wilson had said it would be an open floor q&a. First question.....Is it true Burley got sacked because he was shagging Vlad's niece. Q&A ended right there??

Guest Paul Allen

It’s maybe just me but I didn’t realise Rix was appointed off the back of Vialli turning the job down but recommending the Englishman. And it’s crazy how many players we had on our books during the Romanov years.

53 minutes ago, Deodato said:

I loved this. He's a great interviewer, and so good to hear about those crazy times under Vlad. Did I hear him correctly - during the height of the madness of Vlad - how many players did we have on our books? 

Yep. 76 and in good old fashioned video printer style....seventy -six

Whats Roman Romanov up to these days? Vlads obviously retired or whatever, but there can't have been much of a fortune left?

Unless Rodney is the mysterious benefactor :P 

been here before
21 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Walter Kidd was Zico?

Is what I came to post.

And Si Ferry is **** murder to listen to which is a shame as a lot of the people he interviews would be quite interesting if not interviewed by the thinking ned's ned.

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Is what I came to post.

And Si Ferry is **** murder to listen to which is a shame as a lot of the people he interviews would be quite interesting if not interviewed by the thinking ned's ned.

It's his best interview. Basically because Sir Paul just spoke for most of it.

Walter will always be Zico.

Great to hear from the man himself, a hero and an idol of that period for us. Oh what 2006 could have been! I remember the 1st league game away to Killie and some of the football we played was unbelievable, I couldn't believe it was hearts I was watching. So funny to hear about Romano nipping away at 1am on a speedboat, sums up that mad ******* brilliantly! Thanks for posting! 

Good interview and some great stories from Sir Paul, who happens to be one of my favourite ever Hearts players.

One thing I took from that interview was how the training with Celtic was up another level from what he experienced with Hearts (and with top Hearts players at that). I'm obsessed with us winning the league and hearing stories like that suggests to do so we would really need to train in an ultra competitive environment with players of real quality, with a very demanding managerand plenty of players of the Naismith mould.

Edited by Jambos_1874

Just confirms how shocking Craig Levein's man management is, chewing Paul out after his first game against Hibs then dropping him for 6 weeks.  Completely destroyed the guy's confidence.

Oh, wait!

Captain America

My favourite Si Ferry interview so far, think he is better when he knows the interviewee well.

The bit about us was interesting and it is clear SPH has a real love for the club.

Forever Hearts

Seen SPH at Firhill a few years ago when we were in the Championship. Despite his time at Celtic it was good to see his son decked out in the Hearts colours supporting the JT's. 

BerraBelieveit

Maybe just me but I was in tears of laughter for some time after SPH commenting on mad Ed Malofeev. 

Playing crab football in preseason training - I just cannot get out of my head Pressley playing crab football on all fours along with several other adults. 

By far the best one yet and I think it speaks volumes for Hartley that despite moving to his boyhood club Celtic; it did not hamper his legendary status at our club or our opinion on him one single bit. Every player's dream is to play for the team they supported as a kid and I'm actually happy for him that he got that chance despite it being a club I cannot stand over any other. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Sir Paul was the best box to box player I've seen at Hearts in 40year outstanding workrate Burley got the best out of him, Levein made him, superb interview, Hartley has a tremendous enthusiasm for the game and would love to see him back at Tynecastle coaching 

If Olly Lee had half Hartley's engine he would be worth a few million 

I actually like Si Ferry's one on ones, really honest stuff. Am I the only one however who had no idea he is actually a footballer?

Really enjoyed that. It is so obvious just how high SPH holds HMFC and its fans dear to his heart. Was a pleasure to watch the man do his work. His hat-trick at Hamdump will live long in the memory.

56 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I actually like Si Ferry's one on ones, really honest stuff. Am I the only one however who had no idea he is actually a footballer?

He’s a cracking player just unfortunate with injuries throughout his career 

Love SPH, would have been amazing if we could have had him and Mickey Cameron in midfield at the same time!

As others have said, it speaks volumes about the man that he is held so dearly by us all despite never hiding his celtic allegiances. One of my all time favourite players in maroon and he clearly still loves us. 

Also very pleasing to hear the regard he has for Mr Levein. 

Whoever described that Ferry laddie as the thinking ned's ned was spot on though!

At the end he spoke about getting back into football, maybe as a coach instead of a manager.

Would love him to be added to our backroom staff. Good Hearts legend for the young players to look up to and learn from.

Quite obvious how much he loves Hearts. 

Seen him speaking at a few functions, and he clearly wants to come back at some stage.

It would be great if we could find a coaching role for him at the Club, he has a winning mentality, & we need that.

I watched it last night and he couldn't wait to start talking about ourselves and spent the majority of the interview covering that period of his career.

From the way he was talking, I got the impression that the game has maybe evolved beyond what he believes in as a coach and football man? No tackling, no box to box, players being precious and not having any grounding early in their careers. You've got to wonder if players would buy into his principles now?

Edit - Can I just add that Paul Hartley is my favourite ever Hearts player and he's welcome back at Hearts anytime. 

Edited by bajthejambo

I don't understand the hate toward Si Ferry, maybe its a generational thing. Not watched the Hartley one yet but I'm looking forward to it later on. 

8 minutes ago, communist said:

I don't understand the hate toward Si Ferry, maybe its a generational thing. Not watched the Hartley one yet but I'm looking forward to it later on. 

Aye, he seems like an a'right *****.  Good banter with the footballers.

I screamed abuse at him at Easter Road in that defeat, never wanted him to play for Hearts again, fast forward, Dundee Manager and I went up to Dens just to sing "There's only one Paul Hartley", he's my favourite ever Hearts player.

The Old Tolbooth

That was a really good watch, I got the feeling that he still held back a lot of what really went on at Hearts though, but imagine being a midfielder and being asked to pick the next manager ffs, absolutely bonkers stuff! 

Oh, and on a side note, no matter how many times SPH pulls that waistcoat, it's never going to meet in the middle :lol: 

2 hours ago, communist said:

"Ih-hih, ih-hih"

Mrs S is on holiday from college this week, she was sitting doing work while I watched this, it was driving her mental

Really enjoyed it and is the first i have heard one of the main players from the Romanov era open up about it. What could have been under Burley eh....

I listen to the open goal podcast  and the interviews every week and really like Si Ferry, he seems like a good lad, the interviews are not too serious and you get some light hearted funny insights, except the Russell Anderson one who must be the most boring B@5tard ever. Also Si Ferry tipped Hearts to win the scottish on the open goal podcast before the 4th round.