''Germs don't exist''

Bridge of Djoum

The Germ Theory of Disease is a scientific theory.  Because it's science, and because it's "just a theory", many conservatives in the USA (and possibly elsewhere) don't accept what the scientific community state.

For example, most conservatives in the USA absolutely reject the Theory of Evolution.  Mike Pence was outspoken about Evolution when he was a Senator.  If the science is not supported by scripture, American conservatives in general refuse to accept it. 

Bridge of Djoum
18 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

The Germ Theory of Disease is a scientific theory.  Because it's science, and because it's "just a theory", many conservatives in the USA (and possibly elsewhere) don't accept what the scientific community state.

For example, most conservatives in the USA absolutely reject the Theory of Evolution.  Mike Pence was outspoken about Evolution when he was a Senator.  If the science is not supported by scripture, American conservatives in general refuse to accept it. 

49 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A product of our times. ??‍♂️

Having said that, I haven't used any soap or similar products on my face for a good 25 years. Bit different from not washing hands, though.

20 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Having said that, I haven't used any soap or similar products on my face for a good 25 years. Bit different from not washing hands, though.

Nor I.  Plain water only, which means that my face is probably heaving with germs.

No wonder people look at me funny! :wink:

25 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

Out of interest what do you shave with?

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Smithee said:

Out of interest what do you shave with?

I maintain a beard of sorts, more a long stubble so I use clippers to trim it down every so often. Number 4/5 generally. 

When I did wet shave I didn't use cream or foam. Ex Navy man. 

Therein lies the reason for the following

I can't eat other people's cooking or eat in restaurants. 

I always carry tissues and use them to open all door handles

I fist pump instead of shaking hands (when I can)

I never carry money

I bathe in dettol

The guy is just a ****ing manky ******* making excuses for being a clarty *******

2 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I maintain a beard of sorts, more a long stubble so I use clippers to trim it down every so often. Number 4/5 generally. 

When I did wet shave I didn't use cream or foam. Ex Navy man. 

I probably wouldn't kiss you then

1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

The guy is just a ****ing manky ******* making excuses for being a clarty *******

I agree with that just thinking about his political views, never mind the germ thing! :tongue:

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I never carry money

I bathe in dettol

The Niles Crane of jKB. ?

1 minute ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I thought more Monica from Friends.

Funny you say that, my nickname at work is 'Monica' for this reason.

Bridge of Djoum
5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Funny you say that, my nickname at work is 'Monica' for this reason.

I'm sure it's not the only reason.

I'm liking the new i8.

13 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Do not carry tissues but share your hatred of clarty ***** not washing after toilet and door handles.

And he is exactly what you posted.

Clarty is the word I8 

Yeah, I'm in the don't use soap on the face club. When shaving, I'll normally just do it with a wet blade in the shower. Every now again, I might use shaving foam but maybe once a fortnight. 

Not washing your face. A bunch of Manky, Smelly, Disgusting, Trampy, Minky, Tinky, Stinky, boggin boabs. The sort you see with sleep glued to their eyelids. For  Godsake, I feel sick now.

And it's Clatty.

Edited by ri Alban

14 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I never carry money

I bathe in dettol

Those tissues were made in a factory heaving with germs. 

I P Knightley
15 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Surely in the Gospels there's stuff about Jesus washing the feet of his apostles? I'd be pretty sure that there's other stuff about cleanliness and so on.

This muppet believes there are no germs because you can't see them. By the same logic, there's no air; there's no gravity; there are no radio waves; there is no sadness and Hibs don't play flair football.

14 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I never carry money

I bathe in dettol

What did you do before the fist bump became a thing?

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Those tissues were made in a factory heaving with germs. 

Correct, I've worked in my share of factories and there's nowhere dirtier than a non-food factory - a giant building with loads of people in it and no legal cleanliness standards to adhere to. My wife has photos from a soap factory that would curl your toes!

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Surely in the Gospels there's stuff about Jesus washing the feet of his apostles? I'd be pretty sure that there's other stuff about cleanliness and so on.

This muppet believes there are no germs because you can't see them. By the same logic, there's no air; there's no gravity; there are no radio waves; there is no sadness and Hibs don't play flair football.

What did you do before the fist bump became a thing?

Just fisted them.

Craig Gordons Gloves

While i don't agree with not washing hands etc, i do think we have gone too far with the sanitizing of things on a regular basis. Growing up, how many of us would be manky wee trolls, playing in the park, in the mud etc with our pals and then eat something without giving it a second thought.  Our clothes(underwear aside) were probably not washed as frequently as our clothes now, dishes were washed with cloths that weren't immediately bleached etc.  The natural occurence of bacteria is a good thing in building up immunity imo. 

1 hour ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

While i don't agree with not washing hands etc, i do think we have gone too far with the sanitizing of things on a regular basis. Growing up, how many of us would be manky wee trolls, playing in the park, in the mud etc with our pals and then eat something without giving it a second thought.  Our clothes(underwear aside) were probably not washed as frequently as our clothes now, dishes were washed with cloths that weren't immediately bleached etc.  The natural occurence of bacteria is a good thing in building up immunity imo. 

True enough, but there is a balance.  Being a germaphobe is going too far, but failing to follow basic hygiene can result in dangerous infections.

The monkey in this story is exposing himself and others to unnecessary risks.

On 11/02/2019 at 18:12, Normthebarman said:

Yeah, I'm in the don't use soap on the face club. When shaving, I'll normally just do it with a wet blade in the shower. Every now again, I might use shaving foam but maybe once a fortnight. 

Yep, me too.

stopped using products on my face due to acne in my teens.

the germ theory is balls- you can observe them under a microscope- it’s not a theory

Do you clean your belt and/or trousers zip and buttons after every piss too?

Cause the first thing you do after the bog is do you trousers up, before washing your hands.

But hardly anyone cleans a leather belt with a metal buckle.

A minor adjustment of your belt during the day is probably exposing yourself to months/years worth of piss splash build up.

As much as I despise the flat-earth and antivax nutters, I think I believe that he was only joking. He pointed out later that people take things to literally, and that it was just a joke. 

It it was a pretty irresponsible thing to say, considering the amount of idiots that inhabit this planet, who would gladly lap this garbage up. I’m talking about the ‘germs do not exist’ bit here.

I teach in some undergraduate microbiology and bacteriology classes. Part of the training I had to undergo was the basic and easy to set up hand washing agar plate experiment. We get the students to do it also:

You take four sterile Petri dishes with agar on them.

You open the first one a few seconds, and then replace the lid.

The second plate, you open and then place the tips of your fingers and thumbs on the agar, before closing it again.

The third plate, you repeat the same process as the second plate, but you wash your hands with warm/hot water first.

The fourth plate, you repeat the same process as plate three, but you wash your hands with antibacterial wash (Hibiscrub ;) ) before placing your fingers on the agar.

You then incubate all four plates for 24 hours. 

Plate 1 sometimes has a few colonies on it from airborne microorganisms. Not always though.

Plate 2 is absolutely hooching with colonies where the subjects fingers have come in to contact with the agar.

Plate 3 is only slightly less covered in bacteria than the second plate. The hot/warm water does not kill the bacteria.

Plate 4 is usually almost completely colony free, apart from the odd airborne organism sometimes, or if the subject has not washed their hands thoroughly, then small numbers of colonies at the points of contact.

This is as much to teach the students about the importance of infection control and the importance of washing their hands, before and after treating animals.

See the funny gif about the guy not wanting to touch the toilet door? It’s not that silly to be honest. I use my pinkie at the top of the handle and always wash my hands afterwards.

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

See the funny gif about the guy not wanting to touch the toilet door? It’s not that silly to be honest. I use my pinkie at the top of the handle and always wash my hands afterwards.

A firm push on automatic door closing hinge at the top of the door usually does the trick, mate.

image.png.f8ec033bd5dd1e6cb8473ba76b917234.png

Especially in the Khilted Phig.

14 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

A firm push on automatic door closing hinge at the top of the door usually does the trick, mate.

image.png.f8ec033bd5dd1e6cb8473ba76b917234.png

Especially in the Khilted Phig.

:lol:

Too right. Hopefully things will improve now that wee Lenny is likely to vacate the area. :thumbsup:

One of the gents public toilets at my work was recently converted in to a unisex toilet. It’s absolutely rank now. Worst idea ever. It used to have three urinals, three sinks,  and two cubicals. Now it has two very spacious cubicals, each with baby changing, it’s own sink, it’s own toilet, a sanitary bin, and a waste paper basket. Each one has enough space for a wheelchair to enter. Sounds okay in principle... except it’s utterly disgusting. What happens now, is hardly any women use it, other than some patients’ owners who don’t know any better. It’s still just the blokes who go in. Now though, they don’t have the urinals to catch their uncontrolled streams, so they just pish all over the floor, the seat, the pan, everywhere. It’s minky as ****. I can only imagine some of it finds its way in to the sanitary bins, which must be like some grizzly blood and urine soup inside. :yucky:

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier