Does the defence have confidence in Doyle??

scotty2442

Was sat in the Gorgie stand yesterday and noticed a few occasions where Berra was having a go at Doyle for not playing the ball out fast enough 

Also a few other occasions where Souttar seemed frustrated and was visibly shaking his head at the lack of communication coming from Doyle. 

Never a good thing if the defence doesn’t trust the goalkeeper 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• scotty2442

• fabienleclerq

• Pasquale for King

It takes a fair few games before a keeper and a defence get to know each other’s games. I quite like Doyle overall but get worried when he does that wee spilling the ball at the feet of an attacker thing. If he sorts that out, he’s fine.

3 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Still unsure on Doyle, not really seen him make a great save! Probably testament to our defence at times.

Derby save was terrific but still feel he is a bombscare and that we need a new goalie in the summer. 

4 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Bring Gordon home 

Why would you replace one goalie who is shit with cross balls with another who has always been shit with cross balls?

7 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

He’s not any better than Zlamal. In fact I prefer Zlamal to him.

Have to say I'm in this section as well.  Bobby appeared to be a more confident keeper.  Still, we need a new one next year.  Neither of them are the answer I'm afraid.

22 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Have to say I'm in this section as well.  Bobby appeared to be a more confident keeper.  Still, we need a new one next year.  Neither of them are the answer I'm afraid.

Genuinely can't decide between the two if them myself though Bobby wins the social media battle ?

It's very clear that Doyle lacks communication.

Very surprised, and a wee bit annoyed, at the treatment of Zlamal. I know he's had a few balls ups but he's also played a few blinders. Last time we saw him was the Livi 5-0 game, and under no circumstances was he solely responsible.

Got absolute pelters by the BT panel for one of their goals when it was clearly an Aaron Hughes **** up.

23 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Same for me.

Bobby had a couple of mares but it coincided with our whole team turning to crap and had a rotating defence weekly which I imagine knocked his confidence.

I'd like him back in, but it's only fair Doyle keeps his place I guess until he makes a hash of something.

Takeshi kovac

Probably a bit unfair on Doyle but I'd rather Bobby back between the sticks, Doyle doesn't fill me with confidence at all. I think ultimately though I'm guessing we will be after another no1 in the summer

I dont rate Doyle & would rather have Bobby in goals but it’s hard to drop him with all the clean sheets he has kept (even though he’s hardly been tested)

He has probably dropped more crosses than conceded goals.

2 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Still unsure on Doyle, not really seen him make a great save! Probably testament to our defence at times.

I don't judge keepers on saves made but on goals conceded. Anyone can make a world class save, even Craig Nelson made one or two.

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Matches that Doyle has played:

P9 W6 D1 L2 GF 13 GA 5.

Not sure we have too much to criticise him for so far.

We haven't mate.

But I think a lot of the credit has to go to our defenders.

He has been pretty well protected so far, ( Shaunessy brain fart excepted).

He's made one fantastic save.

Everything else has been routine, which as a competent keeper I'd have expected him to manage anyway.

Credit to him that he has done that,.......... although I've felt a bit uneasy with some of his attempts with crosses.

There will be a game in the not too distant future when we will be better placed to make a true judgement.

Edited by Busby8

fabienleclerq
38 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I don't judge keepers on saves made but on goals conceded. Anyone can make a world class save, even Craig Nelson made one or two.

That's just silly, there's plenty different areas to judge keepers but surely saves is one?

He kicks well with both feet, and comes off his line well but I've not seen him have a busy game where he has kept us in it or made a few good saves.

Bridge of Djoum

I think Doyle is a solid back-up. We've certainly kept a few clean sheets with him. 

It's not a desperate situation but I do feel we need a new keeper in the summer.  We are always going to be a team that allows chances to the opposition, and we've had a good number of outstanding keepers in the past. Spoiled, actually. He's good enough for now, but I don't think he'll be our number one next season, or for that fact, Zlamal.

Bazzas right boot

Doyle is OK, no doubt we'll look for better in the summer, tho. 

Prefer Doyle over Zlamal, he gives me the fear. 

Overall, since Doyle has came in the defence seems a bit more confident and the mood from the crowd seems better. 

Zlamal deserved to be dropped, a few clangers and punched a striker in the face. 

Doyle deserves his place until he makes a few howlers, he's not done that yet so can't really be dropped with a good reason. 

3 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

Take it you missed him touching it onto the post at Easter Road aye????

A_A wehatethehibs

I don’t feel 100% confident in either of our keepers but the plus is, I doubt we’ll be paying either of them top dollar. 

Of the two, Bobby feels like he’s a slight bit sharper of an athlete and he definitely has thre better distribution of the two. But Doyle really hasn’t put a foot wrong since he has come in, the clean sheets are rolling in so you just can’t complain. 

We could maybe pay more wages and get better keepers in, but would it potentially mean less budget to invest in other areas? That’s always the balancing act. Feels like we’ve maybe just got a couple of fairly ordinary cheap keepers in but they both have shown they can make the big saves at big moments, which ultimately is the main job of the keeper. A lot of folk saying “there’s a mistake in both of them” but don’t forget the positive point of view, there is a big save in both of them too! 

I've watched him **** up just about every ball he's had to come for. I don't think he's filling his CB's with much confidence. 

I do hope its just been settling in nerves and he'll settle down eventually. 

3 hours ago, Lambo85 said:

He’s not any better than Zlamal. In fact I prefer Zlamal to him.

Bobby was getting shaky towards the end, culminating in the 5-0 game. I wouldn't say he necessarily deserved the bullet for that but I can't fault the management for making the swap to see what Doyle can do. In fairness our best defence is available now which is obviously helping with leaking goals at the back but I feel it would be slightly unfair on Doyle considering he's somewhat regularly keeping clean sheets. 

fabienleclerq
19 minutes ago, lewis2006 said:

Take it you missed him touching it onto the post at Easter Road aye????

Glaring omission, unfortunately I had to work and give up my ticket for that game. I'm more talking about the games I've been at. 

Bobby has had a couple of games where he pulled off 4/5 good/great saves. I've not seen Doyle tested that way yet, I'm not saying he's shite I'm just yet to see him tested.

North Berwick Jambo
3 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Bring Gordon home 

I would rather bring Jon McLaughlin back! 

His kicking isn't great either. Not a massive fan of either keeper at present. Position we have been spoiled with in the past

King Of The Cat Cafe
18 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Think it’s fair to say that Berra isn’t a fan of either keeper, Doyle especially.  

I think you need to expand on that...

12 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

I think you need to expand on that...

I sit in the Gorgie Stand and given that the atmosphere has been somewhat subdued recently, you hear quite a bit in the first half of games.  Souttar but more so Berra are constantly berating him because of how slow he is to play the ball out and his decision making re coming off his line to support his defence.  Occasionally he gives some back, but he doesn’t have the presence about him you’d expect from an international keeper in his 30s.  I actually felt bad for him yesterday, it was relentless, but at the same time we set high standards in terms of keepers and we’ve got a reputation to protect.

Thought Police
4 hours ago, scotty2442 said:

Was sat in the Gorgie stand yesterday and noticed a few occasions where Berra was having a go at Doyle for not playing the ball out fast enough 

Also a few other occasions where Souttar seemed frustrated and was visibly shaking his head at the lack of communication coming from Doyle. 

Never a good thing if the defence doesn’t trust the goalkeeper 

I definitely saw this too. There was a moment when Doyle passed Souttar the ball and I exclaimed he should have zipped it to him quicker. Souttar looked at him frustrated as he had to wait on the ball arriving, and Doyle put a hand up in apology.

Both centre backs gave him daggers when Glasgow lobbed it wide for getting stuck in no man’s land.

I think Bobby is the better keeper, but he made a few errors and his confidence went. 

The difference is Doyle has made the same number of errors (possibly more) but they haven't been punished. Imagine if Hibs had nicked a goal when he dropped it in the 6 yard box in extra time.

Sat in Gorgie yesterday too. The pure daggers Souttar was shooting at Doyle when the Talbot boy nearly lobbed him

:seething:

King Of The Cat Cafe
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I sit in the Gorgie Stand and given that the atmosphere has been somewhat subdued recently, you hear quite a bit in the first half of games.  Souttar but more so Berra are constantly berating him because of how slow he is to play the ball out and his decision making re coming off his line to support his defence.  Occasionally he gives some back, but he doesn’t have the presence about him you’d expect from an international keeper in his 30s.  I actually felt bad for him yesterday, it was relentless, but at the same time we set high standards in terms of keepers and we’ve got a reputation to protect.

Fair enough, ta.

I think both our keepers could be quicker at distributing the ball.

53 minutes ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Fair enough, ta.

I think both our keepers could be quicker at distributing the ball.

I agree ?

Doyle has been steady and hasn’t done a lot wrong.  His reading of the game especially when to come for a cross and when to stay seems a bit suspect though.  Hopefully that will come with Souttar established beside Berra at centre half.  Motherwell away will be a test for him

Don't rate him or Bobby.

None have done particularly badly but just don't fill me with confidence

While we are at it, shaughnessy gives me the jitters as well

Edited by Alan_R

I saw Souttar and Levein both fuming at Doyle on Sunday. Both him and Zlamal are bang average. A goalie should be our number one target this summer.

john brownlee
12 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

That's just silly, there's plenty different areas to judge keepers but surely saves is one?

He kicks well with both feet, and comes off his line well but I've not seen him have a busy game where he has kept us in it or made a few good saves.

I'm with Marvin on this. It's not the ones you save that count, it's the ones you don't, in other words goals., you could make a hundred great saves but it's the one you don't in a one nil defeat, that's the one that counts. That's life being a goalie.

Just saw highlights of Talbot game and he was literally in nowhere land with positioning in the half chances that Talbot had.

I know we beat them but as a goalkeeping coach myself, not good signs. How many times do you see it though with players complacent and not in the zone against weaker opposition.

13 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Maybe Hearts will finally tell the Auchinleck keeper how his extended trial went.

Made a couple of good saves yesterday.

Shame about the 2nd goal, far too slow diving to his right.

tbf was a slight deflection .

22 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Matches that Doyle has played:

P9 W6 D1 L2 GF 13 GA 5.

Not sure we have too much to criticise him for so far.

We haven't but it seems some people are never happy unless they have something to moan about, even after a 4-0 win.  Strange timing to say the least!

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

We haven't but it seems some people are never happy unless they have something to moan about, even after a 4-0 win.  Strange timing to say the least!

I was thinking the exact same reading through the Scottish Cup QF draw thread. 3 points between us and third place, League Cup semi final and now Scottish Cup QF - nothing to bitch about so it is back to loyalty points!