Liam McLeod

Shaggy2

1 hour ago, Olly Lee said:

Yup, i just got the exact same response.

It's a pretty laughable situation when the complaint is dealt with by the producers of the very show you are complaining about. 

What a load of bollocks. 

Liam mcleod bends for celtic friends ! ! !🖕him....

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riccarton3

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• All roads lead to Gorgie

25 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

Liam mcleod bends for celtic friends ! ! !🖕him....

Yeah. It's pretty pathetic really. I was considering taking it to the next level, which would be ofcom, but honestly - why bother? You've got to pick your battles in life. The planet faces a fair few actual, pressing problems right now and I'd much rather pour my energy into trying to help where I can with those.

As for BBC Celtic, they can **** right off.

5 hours ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Good afternoon.
Yesterday afternoon I watched the Scottish Cup Final on BBC Scotland's Sportscene.
The whole programme was spoiled by the unnacceptable bias shown to Celtic by commentator Liam McLeod, and his co-commentator Billy Dodds.  A cup final should be a level playing field, with both teams receiving equal coverage, irrespective of their status and geographical location, but this was an embarrassment. For the whole commentary, McLeod focussed on Celtic, with Dodds following suit. It was like Hearts were a foreign team in a European tie, with Celtic being urged on to win the cup. There was scant reference to the differences in budget between the 2 sides, the fight that Hearts were showing in coming back twice,  and little evidence of any research being carried out on the Hearts playing squad. It was a completely Glasgow-centric commentary. Was that deliberate, was that what McLeod was encouraged to do by the production team or was that his own approach? Thousands of Hearts supporters will have muted the commentary, or watched the Premier Sports coverage.  The anger concerning the commentary is tangible, and you've further alienated a large number of football fans in the east. Bias towards Rangers and Celtic has always been present, but yesterday was obscene. Zero impartiality or respect, and for so many, it spoilt what was an incredible game to watch.  It won't do anything to encourage many folk to pay their licence fee. BBC Scotland's football coverage has not given clubs outwith Glasgow fair representation for as long as I can remember. Midweek Sportsound and Saturday Sportsound are unlistenable, with pundits/presenters who are not fit for purpose. It's an old boys network that needs to go if you want to be respected and taken seriously again. Is Liam McLeod and Billy Dodds the best you can do for our top games, is that our elite commentary team? If so, you really have a problem.

Dear Mr MacDonald 

Thanks for contacting us regarding Sportscene: Scottish Cup Final on 20 December. Your comments have been discussed with BBC Sport Scotland editors.

We understand that the range of tastes and opinions held by our audience is so diverse that it's inevitable some viewers will dislike or disapprove of certain presenters, commentators or other contributors to our coverage from time to time.

We’re satisfied that the coverage, from our experienced team, of this dramatic final – probably one of the most see-saw finals ever with one or other of the teams on top or under pressure, depending on when you tuned in and where your allegiances lie – was delivered with due impartiality and fairness throughout and appropriately reflected the dramatic swings and changing nature of the game as well as the context of the occasion, Championship leaders Hearts bidding to win their 9th Scottish Cup and holders Celtic seeking to secure a historic quadruple treble.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

BBC Complaints Team

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

Looks like we were all sent the same pathetic reply. We know they don't give a damn, and based 2 miles from Parkhead and half a mile from Ibrox, the last thing they'll do is anything to remotely upset a group of obsessed fans, who have history of threatening journalists. The sports department at BBC Scotland is staffed and run by OF fans, so any football output will have Scotland's shame as their main focus, irrespective of the strength of any other story. It's a tabloid set-up, and they'll do all they can to maintain it. 

Better writing to points of view. Maybe UK coverage of this will embarrass them to take note. 

The BBC's last word.

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate that you were dissatisfied with our previous response and felt strongly enough to write to us again. 

We have read and noted your points but don’t consider they suggest evidence of a possible breach of standards. Opinions do vary widely about the BBC and its output, but this does not necessarily imply there has been a breach of standards or of the BBC’s public service obligations. For this reason we regret we don’t have more to add to our previous correspondence, and so will not respond further or address more questions or points.  

If you are dissatisfied with this decision you may ask the BBC’s Executive Complaints Unit(ECU) to review it. Details of the BBC complaints process are available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/handle-complaint/ where you can read the BBC’s full complaints framework.

You should contact the ECU within 20 working days of receiving this reply. You will need to explain why you believe there may have been a have been a potential breach of standards or other significant issue for it to investigate.

If you wish to contact the ECU, we have provided a unique url link for you in this email. This will open up further information about how to submit your complaint. The link will then not work after you have submitted your complaint. You will be asked for the case reference number we have provided in this reply.
This is your link to contact the ECU if you wish:   

Or to put it another way: we've judged our own output, and consider it to be well within the standards we set for our employees and ourselves. 

just for information this is what I sent in reply to their original fob-off.

Frankly you miss the point, the point is this: every passage of play, every dramatic moment, was analysed as if it was a part of a Celtic narrative. Certainly, Hearts were mentioned frequently, but only in the context of their effect on Celtic's ambitions, historical context, record in the tournament etc. etc. 
I have just spent a couple of hours in the company of an Ayr United supporter and a St.Mirren supporter both, unprompted by me, mentioned the one-sided commentary, one even mentioned the "swatting Hearts aside" remark by McLeod as being particularly disrespectful at a time when Hearts were competing well.
But hey-ho,  BBC Scotland's slavish pandering to the Old Firm is well known to supporters of other clubs, so we expect nothing better, sadly.

That reply from BBC is akin to having a meal in a restaurant and complaining that it is not up to standard, then the chef arguing that it is up to standard.  But I'm the one eating the meal and not satisfied but the chef is telling me that I have enjoyed it when I haven't.  If you catch my drift.    

I also complained to the BBC about its cup final coverage and received this reply:

Thank you for getting in touch about our article 'The winners: The 2020 Russell Prize for best writing' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55350905). 

Amol Rajan repeatedly made clear he was not taking a view on the subject of JK Rowling’s essay and acknowledged the severity of offence that some people had taken to what she’d written. 

He did not detract from that when he objectively praised the writing style, her honesty in talking about her own experiences of domestic and sexual abuse, and the bravery required to express a viewpoint knowing it will lead to further online abuse. 

Thank you once again for getting in touch.

Kind regards, 

BBC Complaints Team

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

sums them up, really.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Hope you enjoyed that ya wee twat 

I expect he has to tone it down a bit with the rangers v Celtic games. Less fawning.

On 24/12/2020 at 11:58, Papa said:

I also complained to the BBC about its cup final coverage and received this reply:

Thank you for getting in touch about our article 'The winners: The 2020 Russell Prize for best writing' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55350905). 

Amol Rajan repeatedly made clear he was not taking a view on the subject of JK Rowling’s essay and acknowledged the severity of offence that some people had taken to what she’d written. 

He did not detract from that when he objectively praised the writing style, her honesty in talking about her own experiences of domestic and sexual abuse, and the bravery required to express a viewpoint knowing it will lead to further online abuse. 

Thank you once again for getting in touch.

Kind regards, 

BBC Complaints Team

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

sums them up, really.

Maybe of interest. I raised a second complaint about the BBC response to a quite unconnected matter, asked for an explanation and a response to my original complaint about the cup final commentary. Incredibly I have just received a second reply which simply reiterates the first reply! I have now escalated my complaint but I’m not holding my breath as it’s just a box ticking exercise.

Slightly changing the focus here, I thought that Lamont's commentary on Saturday at Dens was so much better than McLeod, being an unfussy attempt to identify players and describe the action (grim though it was).

Not only that, but Billy Dodds' contribution was so much better than when he's partnering McLeod. He was much more focused on the actual match rather than joining in the inane banter. Night and day.

McLeod seriously needs to go back to commentator school and put some effort into doing the job properly. Too big for his boots, he adds nothing.

21 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Slightly changing the focus here, I thought that Lamont's commentary on Saturday at Dens was so much better than McLeod, being an unfussy attempt to identify players and describe the action (grim though it was).

Not only that, but Billy Dodds' contribution was so much better than when he's partnering McLeod. He was much more focused on the actual match rather than joining in the inane banter. Night and day.

McLeod seriously needs to go back to commentator school and put some effort into doing the job properly. Too big for his boots, he adds nothing.

He could simply apply for a job with Celtic TV. I imagine he ticks all the boxes. Then everybody's happy.

23 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

I think this is fair comment.  I was surprised at how riled I'd got with the cup final commentary as I hadn't really noticed Dodds much prior to that.  His commenary wasn't as grating at Dens but then again, my attention was probably more focussed on the dross I was watching.

50 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

25 minutes ago, EH11 said:

I think this is fair comment.  I was surprised at how riled I'd got with the cup final commentary as I hadn't really noticed Dodds much prior to that.  His commenary wasn't as grating at Dens but then again, my attention was probably more focussed on the dross I was watching.

Usually the commentary is a lot better when neither of the old firm are involved. 

13 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Usually the commentary is a lot better when neither of the old firm are involved. 

That's interesting, an aspect I hadn't considered.

After the cup final, much of the criticism of McLeod was of his apparent bias.

I was less bothered by that and more annoyed that he had caught an acute dose of 'modern commentary disorder' whereby commentators cannot be bothered identifying players, especially when the ball is being played out of defence. However they dress it up, it is just laziness. They'd much rather be talking about fish suppers or 'remember that time when ?' as if the viewer is interested.

Also McLeod has an annoying habit of thinking that simply by identifying a player by where he is from (as in 'the Spaniard' or 'the German' or whatever) he has added some value.

He could be a lot better. He just needs to take his job seriously. He is probably quite well paid so might as well work for his money.

14 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Na Dodds was shocking again. No research, no tactical insight and he doesn't even know the rules!

How he could claim it wasn't a penalty when Gordon wiped out their CF was hilarious! Claimed as the ball was out of reach and it was accidental it wasnt a penalty. The commentator even tried to give an example by saying if you punch someone off the ball, it's still a foul and Dods goes, "aye but he didn't punch him".

Imagine the rule was actually it's only a penalty if the defender meant it!!

The guys an idiot. Whose wages we pay.

1 hour ago, 4marsbars said:

That's interesting, an aspect I hadn't considered.

After the cup final, much of the criticism of McLeod was of his apparent bias.

I was less bothered by that and more annoyed that he had caught an acute dose of 'modern commentary disorder' whereby commentators cannot be bothered identifying players, especially when the ball is being played out of defence. However they dress it up, it is just laziness. They'd much rather be talking about fish suppers or 'remember that time when ?' as if the viewer is interested.

Also McLeod has an annoying habit of thinking that simply by identifying a player by where he is from (as in 'the Spaniard' or 'the German' or whatever) he has added some value.

He could be a lot better. He just needs to take his job seriously. He is probably quite well overpaid so might as well work for his money.

Maroon Sailor
46 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Liam MacLeod's commentaries are so excitable and OTT that he makes my toes curl.

He continually looks for his "They think it's all over" moment

His cup final commentary was so annoying as a result as any historic immortal commentary line would be Celtic's in his mind

3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Na Dodds was shocking again. No research, no tactical insight and he doesn't even know the rules!

How he could claim it wasn't a penalty when Gordon wiped out their CF was hilarious! Claimed as the ball was out of reach and it was accidental it wasnt a penalty. The commentator even tried to give an example by saying if you punch someone off the ball, it's still a foul and Dods goes, "aye but he didn't punch him".

Imagine the rule was actually it's only a penalty if the defender meant it!!

The guys an idiot. Whose wages we pay.

Fair comment. My bar is still set quite low.

However, paired with Lamont, Dodds is at least forced to talk about the game.

Maybe some of McLeod’s excitable nippiness could be given to Martin Tyler at Sky Sports to make him a bit livelier!

About time he packed it in anyway. 

19 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Liam MacLeod's commentaries are so excitable and OTT that he makes my toes curl.

If your pubes weren't already curly he'd make them curl too.