• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Riccarton3

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• All roads lead to Gorgie

Even if he had said ‘that’, I’d probably still find it less offensive than the way he nearly climaxes when talking about Brown and Celtic.

4 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Even if he had said ‘that’, I’d probably still find it less offensive than the way he nearly climaxes when talking about Brown and Celtic.

:spoton:

Maybe thinking of what it sounds like outside Scotland. 

Advertising the great product that is Scottish football through the most well known club. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
16 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Huge Aberdeen fan. Went off on a Norwegian type commentary rant (the one referring to Lady Diana, Winston Churchill, Lord Nelson etc) when they reached one of the League Cup finals. Another one of the BBC collection of Sheep

My main issue with LM is that he is usually so devoid of interesting things to say he simply pads out his commentary by referring to players by their country of origin: "The Irishman, the Lithuanian, the Ghanaian, etc"

Modern football commentators should do what the old school did. When the ball is in play, just say the name of the player on the ball, don't describe where he is or what he is doing (it's TV), occasionally point out things we might not have noticed (on the edge of the screen or even out of vision) like "he has ____ outside him, or _____ is making a run, the linesman's flag is up". Then chat all you like when the play has stopped.

Many of them hardly ever say the names of players. It's almost as if the one thing they should be good at (identifying players) is beyond them.

Hope he gets fired for that. His commentry sounds like something out of a pantomine. Gets all hyper and starts screaming when a good bit of play or a goal happens.

He's just a wet blanket

11 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

I'm surprised at some of the replies here, I think LM is pretty good, he's certainly the best on the BBC anyway. 

Rob Maclean is certainly the best at the BBC which is why he also gets the BT Sport work.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Less is best for me as far as TV commentary goes and he certainly waffles some pish at times.His high pitched screaming is another distraction that makes me reach for the sound on the remote on many occasions especially when Celtic are involved. 

All of our commentators and presenters in Scotland are embarrassing and every production is so amateurish, it really makes you cringe. Liam McLeod sounds like a wee laddie, and his forced excited voice sounds false. Sutherland is another we laddie with the usual BBC scripted crap and one liners. Embarrassing doesn't even begin to describe our TV presenters.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

For all his sins Jock Brown was actually a decent commentator. 

Derek Rae has been the only decent one since. Derby it was a pleasure to have Bill Leslie airlifted  in for the day.

Rory Hamilton is ok on BT

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Huge Aberdeen fan. Went off on a Norwegian type commentary rant (the one referring to Lady Diana, Winston Churchill, Lord Nelson etc) when they reached one of the League Cup finals. Another one of the BBC collection of Sheep

Yeah, I’ve heard that. My point remains, he just about abuses himself over Celtic.

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Rob Maclean is certainly the best at the BBC which is why he also gets the BT Sport work.

Rob MacLean is by some distance -and this is damning when you consider the level of the others- THE WORST commentator at the BBC. I hate when I’m not at a game and he is the commentator at our match. He wanders off on wee tangents about any old pish like the weather and tries to crack a couple of funnies. Meanwhile, you can hear incidents happening in the background as the game rages on, but all he does is gibber on about a player who’s not even involved in the match or what the traffic is like on the M8. Then the ball ends up in the net, and he’s suddenly trying to find out the name of the goal scorer and hasn’t even said which team has gone ahead. He’s absolutely shit. ?

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Yeah, I’ve heard that. My point remains, he just about abuses himself over Celtic.

Must have an over bearing pal or boss he has to grovel to. Struggle to listen to Sportsound these days due to him and Dick Gordon. Only worth a listen when Tom English is there to keep them all in order

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Not so much rolled up trouser legs,  more sheepskin jackets. 

17 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

He totally does. I was working last Sunday and just had to turn him off when Celtic scored their first against St Johnstone. He was practically squealing with delight. Ended up listening to 5live talking about the six nations.

Apologies, I’ve no idea why my font is so big???

Edited by Shaggy2

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Must have an over bearing pal or boss he has to grovel to. Struggle to listen to Sportsound these days due to him and Dick Gordon. Only worth a listen when Tom English is there to keep them all in order

Yeah, Sportsound has become absolutely painful to listen to. Between Willie Miller, Rob MacLean, Eyebrows, Gordon, Bonnar and Chick Young, it’s like some horrendous sketch from Naked Radio back in the 80s.

Their live coverage is awful too. Really resent being forced to listen to a Rangers or Celtic game, to get horrendously bad updates on our game... three in ninety minutes at best. Bonnar appears to be getting paid to watch the team he supports and nothing else, and Rob MacLean doesn’t even understand what a commentator is supposed to do.

3 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

He totally does. I was working last Sunday and just had to turn him off when Celtic scored their first against St Johnstone. He was practically squealing with delight. Ended up listening to 5live talking about the six nations.

Never apologise for being big. ?

And yes, agree completely.

I really find most, if not all  female commentators on highlights, north and south of the border excruciating to listen to.  You can add him to that number.

1 hour ago, innerjambo said:

All of our commentators and presenters in Scotland are embarrassing and every production is so amateurish, it really makes you cringe. Liam McLeod sounds like a wee laddie, and his forced excited voice sounds false. Sutherland is another we laddie with the usual BBC scripted crap and one liners. Embarrassing doesn't even begin to describe our TV presenters.

Spot on bud, BT sport is my pet hate, in every hearts game they just want the other team to score, weird lot.

2 hours ago, cb1874 said:

"Thumped"....sounds well dodgy though 

Is this like hearing version of an optical illusion.

all I hear is ****ed, but all my mate hears is thumped.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, innerjambo said:

:spoton:

Seymour M Hersh
50 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

:oohmatron:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
46 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Yeah, Sportsound has become absolutely painful to listen to. Between Willie Miller, Rob MacLean, Eyebrows, Gordon, Bonnar and Chick Young, it’s like some horrendous sketch from Naked Radio back in the 80s.

Their live coverage is awful too. Really resent being forced to listen to a Rangers or Celtic game, to get horrendously bad updates on our game... three in ninety minutes at best. Bonnar appears to be getting paid to watch the team he supports and nothing else, and Rob MacLean doesn’t even understand what a commentator is supposed to do.

Ditto Willie Miller, with the added benefit now of Derek Ferguson getting to watch his boy play.

Oh for the days of the Davids, Francey and Begg. Be forever grateful for DF's empathy and care on how he described the horrific moments of 1986

I hate the way McLeod suddenly raises his voice for no apparent reason.

"Throw in to Rangers (softly and quietly), THAT'S WHERE THEY TOOK A THROW IN THE FIRST HALF".

Does ma heid in.

Wee Paul Mitchell's the best. By a long way.

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Rob MacLean is by some distance -and this is damning when you consider the level of the others- THE WORST commentator at the BBC. I hate when I’m not at a game and he is the commentator at our match. He wanders off on wee tangents about any old pish like the weather and tries to crack a couple of funnies. Meanwhile, you can hear incidents happening in the background as the game rages on, but all he does is gibber on about a player who’s not even involved in the match or what the traffic is like on the M8. Then the ball ends up in the net, and he’s suddenly trying to find out the name of the goal scorer and hasn’t even said which team has gone ahead. He’s absolutely shit. ?

I was referring to his television commentary which was fairly obvious from the reference to his work at BT Sport. The only radio show I ever listen to is Off The Ball which is superb. 

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Ditto Willie Miller, with the added benefit now of Derek Ferguson getting to watch his boy play.

Oh for the days of the Davids, Francey and Begg. Be forever grateful for DF's empathy and care on how he described the horrific moments of 1986

Was thinking about this the other day. There are virtually no talented commentators anymore; ones who actually describe the action as it pans out. Instead we have a group of smarmy co-commentators sitting there stuffing pies in their face-holes, chatting about the weather and traffic or whatever.

David Begg was the last good one on BBC Scotland. Rob MacLean is like some kind of daytime chat show host. Fifth-rate Saccharine snakeyness for the frustrated housewives and their mid-morning seat on the washing machine. Just awful. 

Lost count of the times I’ve sat down and tried to follow a game where he’s the commentator and all you get are anecdotes and smarm, as the crowd audibly react to the action, that you don’t get to hear about, then all of a sudden: “GOAL! He really smashed that in after a good bit of build up play involving three players and ten passes!” Five minutes later you get to find out which team scored and fifteen minutes after that, who stuck it in the net.  ?

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

7 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Everyone has a problem with everything.

He clearly says thumped and he's a decent enough commentator.

From the guy with the “Shanecek” patter. ?

1 hour ago, RudiHMFC said:

Everyone has a problem with everything.

He clearly says thumped and he's a decent enough commentator.

Haha. I’m not a fan but I just thought it was quite funny. Don’t want him punted or anything. Might be the age thing when words sound different to separate generations. ?

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

From the guy with the “Shanecek” patter. ?

What's that got to do with this? It's a joke anyway, I backed the guy to be decent, not given up hope either.

24 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

What's that got to do with this? It's a joke anyway, I backed the guy to be decent, not given up hope either.

Fair enough. Just seemed a bit rich saying people complain about anything, when you were doing the same about ‘Shanecek’. ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
28 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Fair enough. Just seemed a bit rich saying people complain about anything, when you were doing the same about ‘Shanecek’. ?

:lol:

I actually thought Shanecek was quite funny.....in a cuddly cult hero proved us all wrong type of way. Maybe not what was intended by it, but the joy of a Shancek hat trick awaits us, now he is getting in his eye in

6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

:lol:

I actually thought Shanecek was quite funny.....in a cuddly cult hero proved us all wrong type of way. Maybe not what was intended by it, but the joy of a Shancek hat trick awaits us, now he is getting in his eye in

Fair enough. Maybe I’m a bit grumpy just now. Not getting a lot of sleep with a two week old baby in the house. ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Fair enough. Maybe I’m a bit grumpy just now. Not getting a lot of sleep with a two week old baby in the house. ?

Calumn Morrisons excuse too!!!

Nice light Edinburgh slang, mixing into the Czech moniker. Best nickname since Shyness? Maybe not

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Calumn Morrisons excuse too!!!

Nice light Edinburgh slang, mixing into the Czech moniker. Best nickname since Shyness? Maybe not

Maybe... not really getting me going though. Better than Spanish Idiot 1 and Spanish Idiot 2, or calling Zal by his number though. To be honest it is almost definitely my mood rather than anything else. ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Don't worry, they get older, then you can worry about things like drink, drugs, sex education, supporting the wrong team, report cards, peer pressure, teachers, coaches.

****, I feel depressed

:sob:

6 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Never apologise for being big. ?

And yes, agree completely.

6 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Was wonderin that masel

I don't mind LM. Rob McLean though is awful. He's so dreary, and has no element of excitement about him at all. I really think his negativity drags down Scottish football. 

I think Richard Gordon is a really good presenter, very knowledgeable and clearly loves his football. Alasdair Alexander was a good commentator. Also agree with the poster who said that Jock Brown was OK. 

Stupid Sexy Flanders
7 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Just shows you. I can't stand Rob McLean. :lol:

3 hours ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Just shows you. I can't stand Rob McLean. :lol:

I’m more talking about his TV work. Don’t listen to the radio very often. Scott McDonald doesn’t seem to be too bad a pundit so far. Managed to not have a fall out with Michael Stewart.