Berra

StevenNaismith

chester copperpot

Are people seriously writing him off after a couple of below standard performances.

Deary ****ing dear.

Edited by chester copperpot

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• Top Corner

• Lambo85

• Beast Boy

Did I just read someone saying Berra never  had pace ????. He’s easily one of the quickest at the club, his acceleration isn’t great but in full sprint he’s quick.

i wish jj was my dad
2 minutes ago, Top Corner said:

Ok. 

He's fast. 

I dunno why players keep running past him. 

Must just be my eyes. 

Don't see him.getting outpaced too often tbh. He isn't quick on the turn mind. 

Just now, KyleLafferty said:

Did I just read someone saying Berra never  had pace ????. He’s easily one of the quickest at the club, his acceleration isn’t great but in full sprint he’s quick.

hahahaha

If he's one of the quickest at the club, we're in serious trouble. 

The Future's Maroon

FFS.

has he even had the chance to take his socks off before being written off as a has been on JKB, obviously not ?

He's one of the best defenders in the league, but when you become slow... It's a serious problem.

That's all i'm saying. 

And like someone else mentioned, I would prefer him in the middle of the defence. 

Edited by Top Corner

Christophe had an off day today. He was by no means our worst player. My MoM today was Uche who ran and ran all day long and was unlucky not to score.

1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Give the armband to naisy and drop berra. Something clearly amiss right now.

My thinking too. Needs to reboot after the hamstring injury. Rushed back, not the same player.

Jambof3tornado
34 minutes ago, Section Q said:

My thinking too. Needs to reboot after the hamstring injury. Rushed back, not the same player.

It actually hurts to watch him floundering about when he's normally so dependable.

Jambof3tornado
41 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Christophe had an off day today. He was by no means our worst player. My MoM today was Uche who ran and ran all day long and was unlucky not to score.

Its not an off day. Its been clearly evident in his play since he came back from the injury.

Pleasing to see Uche getting plenty minutes under his belt.

45 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

FFS.

has he even had the chance to take his socks off before being written off as a has been on JKB, obviously not ?

Indeed. Same old pish year after year. Absolutely no consideration given to any possible mitigating circumstances.

Shite or Superhuman. 

Thats your lot chaps, choose a standpoint! ?

9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Of course they are, CC. 

The clueless, but vocal fandans are having their predictable orgasmic frenzy as they always do after a bad result. 

There’s a few who are just acknowledging he needs to step it up a bit too, but like most things nowadays, and particularly on here, it’s the mental cases who ruin any potential for debate.

Can’t play on the left of a back 3. He should play in the middle but because he’s our only left footed CH he’s been forced to play where he isn’t comfortable.

5 hours ago, Marvin said:

He has had off-days virtually every game since returning from injury. I was really surprised today that it was Shaughnessy not Berra that was replaced by Garuccio today. Berra was off the pace the whole game, badly turned at their first goal. Should have known that Hastie would come in to shoot with his left foot and basically ushered him that way. He is currently the player that opposition teams target when playing us. Needs to get fully fit. Don’t believe he is doing much in the way of training at the moment due to his injury. 

Edited by soonbe110

5 hours ago, Top Corner said:

hahahaha

If he's one of the quickest at the club, we're in serious trouble. 

That was a quote from 2006. ?

32 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He has had off-days virtually every game since returning from injury. I was really surprised today that it was Shaughnessy not Berra that was replaced by Garuccio today. Berra was off the pace the whole game, badly turned at their first goal. Should have known that Hastie would come in to shoot with his left foot and basically ushered him that way. He is currently the player that opposition teams target when playing us. Needs to get fully fit. Don’t believe he is doing much in the way of training at the moment due to his injury. 

100% he is our weak link that every team will look at just now. I've said it before, he either needs a further operation or a prolonged time out to sort it. He isn't comfortable, turning or even just running. It's so obvious to see.

It is painful to watch but I hope that it can be fixed. Definitely not doing himself or the team any favours just now 

Playing 3 at the back doesnt get the best out of Souttar or Berra imo and we need to scrap it

Two of our best players are centre halves, one right footed, one left. One brilliant in the air the other quick over the ground. One no monsense, one a ball player. They’re a perfect CH partnership.

We’re then not exposing Christophe against wingers with no protection, we’re also no asking him to build play which is also a - larger imo - problem with him at left of 3.

Craig needs to see this. 442 or 433 it needs to be.

Bobby

God Souttar Berra Ben

Djoim Haring Bozanic

Naismith Clare

Uche

or

Bob

God Souttar Berra Ben

Clare Haring Djoum Jake

Naisy Ucheee

Ernie Eskilsson

There’s a lot of emotion in this thread because it’s Berra we’re talking about. He may well get back to his best but two things are clear; he’s not suited to a 3 man defence and right now his performances don’t merit a starting place.

A_A wehatethehibs
13 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Of course they are, CC. 

The clueless, but vocal fandans are having their predictable orgasmic frenzy as they always do after a bad result. 

Its been building since the January break, we all thought he would come back a bit fitter after the break.

Its not clueless ar all, he visibly looks like he is struggling to run. It appears to be affecting his performances. 

14 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Are people seriously writing him off after a couple of below standard performances.

Deary ****ing dear.

It’s bloody tragic some of the shite spouted on here.  Must be great for those who are superhuman at their jobs all day, every day.

Outstanding captain who is being exposed by the manager playing him out of position. Always a central def in back 4 never a left sided def in back 3. Our lack of football suffering from hoof ball. Need a left sided left back playing football out of defence

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Its been building since the January break, we all thought he would come back a bit fitter after the break.

Its not clueless ar all, he visibly looks like he is struggling to run. It appears to be affecting his performances. 

Agree with this. He is hobbling about all over the place and has looked like a bomb scare playing left side of a back 3.

Shaughnessy looks really poor as well.

I'd like to see Dikamona get a run in the team.

Edited by Lambo85

If it was any other CB putting in performances like Berra has the last few games, we'd be calling for someone else to play instead. He also looks unfit and awkward just now.

It's pretty clear we can't continue to player Berra left side of a back three, it's asking for trouble. Maybe just rest him for a few weeks.

Just now, PTBCAL said:

Would give Berra a rest this weekend and hopefully get him back to where he was pre injury for the Partick game 

I agree.  Even if it’s to hand responsibility to others as an exercise instead of looking over at Berra to lead.  

You look back at the opener yesterday and people are quick to blame Berra.  

When you’re one on one like that with someone coming at you with pace, you are exposed. 

I think it’s Shaughnessy who’s inside? He should sense the danger and start to come off his marker to cover the inside of Berra. 

Didn’t switch on. 

47 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

If it was any other CB putting in performances like Berra has the last few games, we'd be calling for someone else to play instead. He also looks unfit and awkward just now.

It's pretty clear we can't continue to player Berra left side of a back three, it's asking for trouble. Maybe just rest him for a few weeks.

Rest him and bring him back into a back three? Or accept a back three is an utter travesty and get back to a back 4? 

My mind is blown that Levein (who was one of the best in his prime) thinks a back 3 is the best thing for us. There are better defenders than Berra who can’t play in a back three but would be superb in a back 4.

Edited by E3OBE

3 hours ago, Dennis Law said:

Outstanding captain who is being exposed by the manager playing him out of position. Always a central def in back 4 never a left sided def in back 3. Our lack of football suffering from hoof ball. Need a left sided left back playing football out of defence

Agree with this. An outstanding player, Berra but struggling with injury and system. Souttar was reverting to high punts out of defence also. 

I suppose we can only play who's fit but it is showing.

14 hours ago, Lambo85 said:

By his standard he has been very poor since coming back from injury. 

Thats the problem, set such a high standard, hopefully gets it back soon.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

Would give Berra a rest this weekend and hopefully get him back to where he was pre injury for the Partick game 

I don’t think one week would make that much of a difference, he had time off in January. He might need another operation or the summers break to get back to normal, if not we might need to find a replacement sooner than we thought.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

I agree.  Even if it’s to hand responsibility to others as an exercise instead of looking over at Berra to lead.  

You look back at the opener yesterday and people are quick to blame Berra.  

When you’re one on one like that with someone coming at you with pace, you are exposed. 

I think it’s Shaughnessy who’s inside? He should sense the danger and start to come off his marker to cover the inside of Berra. 

Didn’t switch on. 

100% this. If Berra had been the centre (or even more so Michael Smith) they would have seen the danger and moved in. Souttar was covering Main. Shaughnessy moves to open up space for the shot. Not the first time, take a look at the opening goal Dundee scored a couple of weeks ago. For me it was the same issue, Shaughnessy isn't reading the danger and gives us very little as the middle centre half.

51 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

Rest him and bring him back into a back three? Or accept a back three is an utter travesty and get back to a back 4? 

My mind is blown that Levein (who was one of the best in his prime) thinks a back 3 is the best thing for us. There are better defenders than Berra who can’t play in a back three but would be superb in a back 4.

Back 4 all day long.

Berra has turned into an absolute huddy. 

Needs dropped. Was gutted to see Dikamoma going off injured. He’s the best centre back at the club at the minute. 

StevenNaismith
Just now, Lambo85 said:

Needs dropped. Was gutted to see Dikamoma going off injured. He’s the best centre back at the club at the minute. 

You forgetting about Souttar? 

tartofmidlothian
Just now, Lambo85 said:

Was Dikamona injured? It looked to me like he was changing the formation.

VagabondJambo

I realize it’s Celtic up next, however it’s time for Berra to be dropped (or benched).  Celtic’s forwards will capitalize on every one of his current weaknesses, which are patently obvious.  He has been a great club player, but not since he returned from injury.  Sadly, he is currently a liability, including when he comes up for corners.

With Dikamona (hopefully not injured) and Souttar in the centre of our defence, and some “improvisation” for the right and left back positions, we should be able to defend better AND attack better also.

ToadKiller Dog

If anybody deserves a chance to regain form and hold his place it's Berra, but it can only go so long. If he has lost a yard then he needs to find away to adapt like Hughes or David Weir did in old age. 

But we shouldn't be worrying about the defence at home to the bottom sides, the reason why is our set up, it doesn't help Berra and doesn't help us getting a result. 

1 minute ago, davieholt said:

Playing on the left of a back three is always going to expose his lack of pace. We desperately need to go back to a four.

Agreed. Berra does not look comfortable in a back 3, or even a back 4 with full backs going AWOL. He needs to be in the centre to be effective and not getting dragged out wide.

5 minutes ago, davieholt said:

Playing on the left of a back three is always going to expose his lack of pace. We desperately need to go back to a four.

We did play a back 4.

32 minutes ago, gedster said:

Actually looked in last 15 minutes that he couldn't give a flying feck........worrying

Thought that as well. Seems to have lost his passion at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Thought that as well. Seems to have lost his passion at the moment. 

Hoped pre match that he'd be rested today but never happened