Berra

StevenNaismith

StevenNaismith

What’s folks opinion on Christophe since his return from injury? To me he doesn’t look fit.

I’m really torn as I love the big mans attitude and how much he loves the club but I can’t help but feel his distribution causes us so many problems. I know he’s never been the best with the ball but he needs to change it up a bit. He’s so good at defending though that you can’t leave him out the team. ??‍♂️

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• Top Corner

• Lambo85

• Beast Boy

Салатные палочки
2 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

What’s folks opinion on Christophe since his return from injury? To me he doesn’t look fit.

I’m really torn as I love the big mans attitude and how much he loves the club but I can’t help but feel his distribution causes us so many problems. I know he’s never been the best with the ball but he needs to change it up a bit. He’s so good at defending though that you can’t leave him out the team. ??‍♂️

Bit late for him to change it up. He's an excellent defender but not a very good footballer (with the greatest of respect). 

Replace his two legs with heads and he’ll be fine.  The injury has definitely affected his mobility.  He’s like a different player.

Best defender we have. 

Plus us I had £12.50 at 11/2 to score anytime. Devastated I never took first goal. 

He he is brilliant in the air back and front and a good foil for Souter. 

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

No idea how he got man of match 

His goal might have had something to do with it

portobellojambo1
30 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

He hasn't lost any of his ability in the air but there are times he does look a bit uncomfortable when the ball is on the ground. I wasn't convinced he was fully recovered when he first came back into the side, and I'm still not sure. There was one point today in the first half when the ball, and him, went out on the Wheatfield side of the park, just inside our half. And I thought that he looked a bit uncomfortable as he walked back onto the park. However, I'm assuming that if there was any danger of whatever injury he did have still being there and getting a bit worse (or on the flip side not fully recovered yet) the medical staff would declare him unfit to play.

Edited by portobellojambo1

He's not too long back from the most serious injury he's suffered in his career. Its no doubt affected him mentally & physically. So the impact on his form is to be expected. If we can just keep going to the next international break that should give him a chance to catch up on his fitness/ 

wattie exploited

seemed really slow at the back great goal though looks not 100 fit !and some of his passing was pretty crap !:HeartsManspotrun:

What a load of shite.

Yes he doesn’t look 100% fit since his injury, but Berra and Souttar didn’t get out of first gear today.

Pish. He barely broke a sweat today and dealt with everything they threw at him. Totally dominated their attackers as expected. He’ll never be a good ball playing CH but he’s still one of the best defensive CHs in the country.

The Apprentice

Thought he looked far more comfortable today than he has done in recent weeks. Granted he wasn’t put under any real pressure but looked as if he was moving a bit more freely. Still working his way back to his best but he’d be in my starting X1 every day of the week. 

Not fit but think having Souttar back is taking a bit of pressure off him. Would run through a brick wall for us but, at times I'm not sure he's done himself any favours. 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Deek said:

Best defender we have. 

Plus us I had £12.50 at 11/2 to score anytime. Devastated I never took first goal. 

He he is brilliant in the air back and front and a good foil for Souter. 

By a long way yes. Berra was wise to all Auckinleck's attacking plans today. Pretty much everything seemed to be on top of him today, but he stood up to it well (a few moments aside)

The White Cockade

Thought he had struggled recently but played well today

he was out a while with a bad injury and probably had to come back to soon

but he is a vital player for us

agreed better in  rather than on the left of a back 3

This has been brought up a few times before. He looks like he is struggling big time. Nowhere near what he was at the start of the season or last season.

Concerned that he needs another Op or at least more time off. Performances are not up to his high standard.

Captain Canada

I thought he was ok today but definitely struggled against their striker at times with the ball on the deck. Great to see him get a goal. 

2 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

I spoke to a couple of ex pro rugby players after he had that complete tear of his hamstring and they said that would be him done at his age. They probably took a rugby view of things and the hits they get but equally it was pretty clear that he’d take a big hit fitness wise and with his generally leg strength 

He looked to limping about 10 mins in. Still first name on the team sheet. Talbot thugs tried to give him a kicking. Nothing gets past him in the air though.

Made my weekend £21  left in my account put it on Cristophe at 20/1 sorted but I had to celebrate twice thought the first one  was in yaaasssss

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
17 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I just think he's not that comfortable in a back 3.

Someone's got it. 

It's mystifying why Levein plays him on the left side of the back 3, would be better to have a right footer in his place. Can't pass and isn't agile enough, he needs to play in the center. .

Jambof3tornado
17 minutes ago, Bring Back Paulo Sergio said:

Someone's got it. 

It's mystifying why Levein plays him on the left side of the back 3, would be better to have a right footer in his place. Can't pass and isn't agile enough, he needs to play in the center. .

This. A ball playing centre half either side of him. Let him do defending. Was pleasing to see djoum and lee come back to collect the ball off him. The number of times he played a ball to Demi so late that Demi had no option but to roll it straight back which Berra then has to hoof is unreal. Defo not back to full fitness. Still a must have in the team but opponents will prey on his weakness with ball at feet.

I'm not sure how much the injury plays a part. He looked totally fine when he came back initially before the break. It's only since the break I think he looks rusty.

StevenNaismith

I’d had one or three shandies when I posted this yesterday. Love the big man, just wish he was better on the ball. Suppose he wouldn’t be playing for us if he had that attribute along with the ones he does possess.

We've played six games in the last few weeks and he has played every game not long after returning from injury. Hardly a surprise that he is struggling slightly. Berra was immense against Hibs and Livingston in the Cup but has had a few 'off' performances. That said, in those 6 games we have managed  four clean sheets and he's bagged a goal so his performance level hasn't dropped too far.

Berra was skinned twice yesterday by a junior player. Agree he's immense in the air but everything is slow and predictable up the left whenever he's involved. Lee comes way too deep to take the ball from Berra when in truth, Berra himself could play a pass into midfield and let "side to side" Lee be more inventive (wishful thinking) further up. Ultimately he does his usual punt up the wing,  and 9/10 it comes straight back.  It's a habit he needs to break. 

Edited by Djnoisy

Bazzas right boot

Good defender. 

One of our best when defending. 

Sorry, the best when defending. 

When a team sits back and let's us have the ball he's not great but other players need to step up. 

Livi last week man marking Souttar and giving Berra the freedom of Tynecastle was an eye opener, tho. 

Jambof3tornado

Been poor since his return. Distribution never been good,pace never been blessed with,but other strong parts of his game have vanished of late.

At the start of the season, there was a thread in here with some opining that he would be a weakness in a back three. While many rounded in those for having the audacity to suggest that, it is quite clear that it is the case.