SC Draw - Partick Thistle Away for QFs - Monday 4th March 19:05 ko

WorldChampions1902

The Treasurer

Okay, I've had time to digest this latest farce from those "running" the game in this country.

First of all I'm one of the lucky ones that has enough LP's, can afford to go and can get time off work (albeit I'll lose money by taking time off) so at least I'll be at the game.

However, like most people, I always look forward to Thistle away as it's a good day out. That has been taken away from us.

There will be a lot of fans who would have been there at a sensible KO time that will now not be able to go.

We know and (to a certain degree) accept that KO times have to be flexible if we want the TV revenue, but at no time are the most important people in the game taken into account. Namely fans that actually attend matches.

This has to change. It's too late for this season but clubs (and fans) have to push for change.

Monday at 7pm is unacceptable, Sunday at 12.15 is unacceptable.

There may be a case for accepting these times in England where they are paid millions for the inconvenience, but until we get anywhere near that level of deal then it has to be the clubs calling the shots not the TV companies. If the BBC or Premier Sports won't accept that and decide to walk away, so be it, they won't be missed

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• GorgieRules22

• been here before

• Boab

Maroon Sailor

Hearts are playing a match 40 miles away 40 minutes earlier than normal.

You'd think we are playing on the dark side of the moon.

It's achievable

Kids might even be able to stay up to 9 so they can watch it on telly as well. I was at secondary school before I went to my first midweek away match. 7:30 KO's in those days

Things change

chester copperpot
2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Aye castlecary arches and haggs are all standstill most nights!!! Lol.

Could come off the A876 at Bonnybridge and head along the A802, pretty long drive from there, I would guess about 40 mins from Bonnybridge to Maryhill on the route I mentioned above.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 hours ago, been here before said:

I know the approach to the bridge at that time is chaotic but isnt the rest of it smoother than the M8 route?

I always struggle after 4 coming through from Falkirk junction past Castlecary Arches. M8 may be better to suffer

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I was going to refrain from posting but I may as well as the KO time is causing so much concern. It has been challenged and will be again early next week, with little hope of it being altered. Why is the game kicking off at 19:05, well it is being shown on the new BBC Scotland channel and the game has to be finished before 21:00 as the 9 O'Clock News has already been scheduled to start at that time.

Suspected it was down to the new channel. Absolutely senseless. Demeaning to the game they are showing.

I don't think its intended to annoy supporters, just plain ignorance of the issues that it will cause.

Has to be a collaborative approach. They have a red button option as well they need to exploit

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You'd think we are playing on the dark side of the moon.

It's achievable

Kids might even be able to stay up to 9 so they can watch it on telly as well. I was at secondary school before I went to my first midweek away match. 7:30 KO's in those days

Things change

Not all Hearts supporters travel from Edinburgh, not everyone can get away from work an hour earlier. 7.30 kos were pushed back to 745 and 8pm in some places to allay issues of heavier traffic as things "changed". Things have changed again, there are even more cars on the road, moving 40 minutes earlier is not helpful in the slightest. Its not encouraging is it?

I accept Monday is a good night for TV, but they need to consider its a working day and a busy one

Edited by Sir Gio

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Not all Hearts supporters travel from Edinburgh, not everyone can get away from work an hour earlier

Not all Hearts supporters can go to every match on a Saturday at 3pm

14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

0 miles away (being the away team in a cup tie) and 3125 minutes later than normal (Saturday 3pm being 'normal').

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Not all Hearts supporters can go to every match on a Saturday at 3pm

Indeed they can't, but that's obtuse to say the least. Saturday for the vast majority of people is not a working day nor a school day, people have time to get where they want to and safely. What we now have is a situation where even those who can go, will need to negotiate the busiest period of traffic in any case and adding to it.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Indeed they can't, but that's obtuse to say the least. Saturday for the vast majority of people is not a working day nor a school day, people have time to get where they want to and safely. What we now have is a situation where even those who can go, will need to negotiate the busiest period of traffic in any case and adding to it.

It's not being obtuse. 

Some fans don't have the choice to go to a match, whether it be 3pm Saturday or 19:05 on a Monday.

You are talking about fans who can go and have the choice whether they want to go depending on travel plans.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's not being obtuse. 

Some fans don't have the choice to go to a match, whether it be 3pm Saturday or 19:05 on a Monday.

You are talking about fans who can go and have the choice whether they want to go depending on travel plans.

There will always be someone who cant go. It's ensuring more can go than not. Otherwise we'd kick off games at 10 in the morning. Obtuse stands.

Maroon Sailor
14 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

There will always be someone who cant go. It's ensuring more can go than not. Otherwise we'd kick off games at 10 in the morning. Obtuse stands.

It's not always the case though is it ?

I've seen more Hearts fans at Firhill (live on the telly) on a Friday night for a League match than on a Saturday afternoon at Firhill - or Fir Park or New Douglas Park for that matter

Edited by Maroon Sailor

13 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Is that 20% Mikey?

Just over but as in most grounds, it has to take in proper segregation and demand. Easter Rd for a cup tie, we get 18%-Dunbar End. It's got to be a bit flexible depending on the ground layout.

53 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Okay, I've had time to digest this latest farce from those "running" the game in this country.

First of all I'm one of the lucky ones that has enough LP's, can afford to go and can get time off work (albeit I'll lose money by taking time off) so at least I'll be at the game.

However, like most people, I always look forward to Thistle away as it's a good day out. That has been taken away from us.

There will be a lot of fans who would have been there at a sensible KO time that will now not be able to go.

We know and (to a certain degree) accept that KO times have to be flexible if we want the TV revenue, but at no time are the most important people in the game taken into account. Namely fans that actually attend matches.

This has to change. It's too late for this season but clubs (and fans) have to push for change.

Monday at 7pm is unacceptable, Sunday at 12.15 is unacceptable.

There may be a case for accepting these times in England where they are paid millions for the inconvenience, but until we get anywhere near that level of deal then it has to be the clubs calling the shots not the TV companies. If the BBC or Premier Sports won't accept that and decide to walk away, so be it, they won't be missed

Well said, mate, but the clubs will never vote for something that will cost them money, esp clubs who rely on it to balance their books.

We're stuck with it, short of a fans revolt....which is fanciful really, given the nature of football fans in general.

You can see it on a lot of posts, fans not prepared to travel so will watch it on the channel that's dictating the KO times in the first place.

They've got it nailed down pretty tight !

The Treasurer
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

Well said, mate, but the clubs will never vote for something that will cost them money, esp clubs who rely on it to balance their books.

We're stuck with it, short of a fans revolt....which is fanciful really, given the nature of football fans in general.

You can see it on a lot of posts, fans not prepared to travel so will watch it on the channel that's dictating the KO times in the first place.

They've got it nailed down pretty tight !

Sadly you're right.

I just think that, given the pitiful amounts involved, the TV companies should not have such an influence over KO times and dates.

Unfortunately as long as you have spineless nobody's like Dungcatcher doing the "negotiating" then we have no chance of  better deal for the fans that actually want to go and support their team

7 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Sadly you're right.

I just think that, given the pitiful amounts involved, the TV companies should not have such an influence over KO times and dates.

Unfortunately as long as you have spineless nobody's like Dungcatcher doing the "negotiating" then we have no chance of  better deal for the fans that actually want to go and support their team

Quite.

As I said in an earlier post, our allocation will go pretty quickly so it's a " what's the problem " type scenario.

You're spot on about Doncaster....the shambles of the LC Semis should have been a sea change and only good thing that came out of it was the huge dissent from clubs and fans that forced a change......so maybe all is not lost !

Edited by Boab

All roads lead to Gorgie

The problem with the kick off time will be getting through Glasgow at rush hour if driving and finding a parking place early enough. The trains will be busy too. Wouldn't be bothered that much by a 7.45 kick off but this time is another crazy balls up by the numpties in charge. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
41 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's not always the case though is it ?

I've seen more Hearts fans at Firhill (live on the telly) on a Friday night for a League match than on a Saturday afternoon at Firhill - or Fir Park or New Douglas Park for that matter

You need to apply context, broaden. Hearts fans rallied following the 15 point deduction, that was a 745 ko on a Friday, not 7.05 on a Monday, whilst we had a poor turn out when Cathro was getting us beat every week on a Saturday.

Bottom line 7.5 is not a time that makes things easier, it makes things harder, if you are unable to recognise that then fair enough.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
20 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Sadly you're right.

What are the amounts?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
33 minutes ago, Boab said:

Just over but as in most grounds, it has to take in proper segregation and demand. Easter Rd for a cup tie, we get 18%-Dunbar End. It's got to be a bit flexible depending on the ground layout.

Fair enough. I wonder if they have a +/- contingency. Probably not, rough science.

1 hour ago, Boab said:

I agree with GR22 on this one, Phil.

It's fair to say that all 2200 tickets will go for this but I don't think it's a contradiction to say it's a shite time for a game of this standing.

Just the way it is now with TV running the game. 

Only my opinion, but I reckon there will be around 3K empty seats in the stadium for this game. TV money will make up the loss and there you have the way things are these days.

I agree it’s a shite time for the game, we were all looking forward to a day out for the game and the prospect of potentially getting a massive away support behind the boys and have had that taken away. 

But some folk are talking about boycotts and that, which is daft. There’ll be buses running and trains every 15 minutes. **** the disappointment, people need to just deal with it. 

2 hours ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Quite rightly so. It’s a Scottish cup quarter final that was was to be played on the 2/3rd of March but ours is changed to a Monday evening with an early kick off.

Games being changed for tv normally doesn’t bother me and I still always go but something stinks with this one so I’ll leave it till the last minute before I decide if I’m going or not, 94 points so no panic.

What stinks, like?

Imagine what some people would be like if we were based in England and faced with a midweek fixture 300 miles away and not 45 minutes on a train.  

2 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

You'd maybe get a handful doing that, but a lot of Hearts fans have totally chucked their toys out the pram on this one. 

So playing a quarter final big cup match on a monday night is ok in your eyes.

Again Hearts fans are divided,  its a pity we could not be on the same page for once.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

So playing a quarter final big cup match on a monday night is ok in your eyes.

Again Hearts fans are divided,  its a pity we could not be on the same page for once.

I couldn’t care less what time kick off was. I’d make whatever arrangements were necessary to make sure I was there. Throwing a wobbler at the news is going to make no difference so why get worked up about it?

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Fair enough. I wonder if they have a +/- contingency. Probably not, rough science.

Simply, segregation dictates most cup ties.

There is the new-fangled way of selling sections as demand dictates in bigger grounds.

For example, if we drew the hooped demons at Parkhead in the Cup, they wouldn't give us 12K straight of the bat ! They'd start at the corner and the segregation would be set as sales went.

Edited by Boab

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

I couldn’t care less what time kick off was. I’d make whatever arrangements were necessary to make sure I was there. Throwing a wobbler at the news is going to make no difference so why get worked up about it?

Im certainly worked up about it, again we are taking on a ride by the clowns that run our game, about time we got them sorted out.

Im throwing no wobbler im stating facts, but you obviously dont get it, you will be saying next our refs are ok.

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Everyone threw a wobbler at the LC Semi farce !

Granted, that was because it affected the old firm !

Quelle surprise !

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Im certainly worked up about it, again we are taking on a ride by the clowns that run our game, about time we got them sorted out.

Im throwing no wobbler im stating facts, but you obviously dont get it, you will be saying next our refs are ok.

You've been telling anyone who’ll listen that you’re not going to the game because of the kick off time. Good for you. 

Some of us can be unhappy at the decision, but just get on with it. If this game was being played at 3 in the morning, I’d still go. Because it doesn’t matter. 

Just now, Boab said:

Everyone threw a wobbler at the LC Semi farce !

Granted, that was because it affected the old firm !

Quelle surprise !

That’s a different situation though, that was around the farcical decision to have two games at the same stadium on the same day. 

There would be moaning if it were later because I won't get back until after midnight, now there is moaning because it too early and I won't make it on time. There will always be someone somewhere who can't make any kick off time on any day. They are totally aware of it but TV comes first in this case

9 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

You've been telling anyone who’ll listen that you’re not going to the game because of the kick off time. Good for you. 

Some of us can be unhappy at the decision, but just get on with it. If this game was being played at 3 in the morning, I’d still go. Because it doesn’t matter. 

That’s a different situation though, that was around the farcical decision to have two games at the same stadium on the same day. 

Of course, Phil, but it exposed the shambles that they were prepared to go ahead with...until everyone told them to ram it. Different circumstances but possible to change things if the will was there.

8 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

There would be moaning if it were later because I won't get back until after midnight, now there is moaning because it too early and I won't make it on time. There will always be someone somewhere who can't make any kick off time on any day. They are totally aware of it but TV comes first in this case

Saturday or sunday i'd be going but because it's monday night i have to admit i did hesitate because of my anger for the SFA & TV Company but i'll be there.

Delighted it's not the Saturday as I have tickets for Old Traffford. Sunday would've been better but I can live with the Monday night for selfish reasons.

Maroon Sailor
31 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

You need to apply context, broaden. Hearts fans rallied following the 15 point deduction, that was a 745 ko on a Friday, not 7.05 on a Monday, whilst we had a poor turn out when Cathro was getting us beat every week on a Saturday.

Bottom line 7.5 is not a time that makes things easier, it makes things harder, if you are unable to recognise that then fair enough.

I recognise getting up to Dingwall or Inverness for a 7:45 ko is hard

Don't hear much outcry about that saying we should only play those matches on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm

10 minutes ago, scottg71 said:

Delighted it's not the Saturday as I have tickets for Old Traffford. Sunday would've been better but I can live with the Monday night for selfish reasons.

Jolly good show, so its monday night footie from now on, just for you to make it, ha ha. You could not make it up.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I recognise getting up to Dingwall or Inverness for a 7:45 ko is hard

Don't hear much outcry about that saying we should only play those matches on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm

You are missing the point spectacularly.

There's no need to be kicking off at 7.05.

Obtuse 

Nelly Terraces
11 hours ago, harrywragg said:

Tickets for HoM fans but pay at the gate for Thistle fans - could be quite problematic if some Hertz fans go into the home ends. 

You don't even get soap in the old stand bogs so no chance of a fully charged up defib ? 

SFA need their collective erses  well and truly booted on Monday night for TV - gate and atmosphere will suffer. 

For those who make it through enjoy the game. 

I was gonna get through with a few mates but none of us can be fecked with it now. Scottish football doesn't need our custom it seems. Shame as enjoyed the day out at Thistle last season & always enjoyed going there, great group of fans you have & always a good laugh with you in the boozer before/after - still hope there's a decent turnout but it won't be anything close to the amount, or the atmos it woulda been at 3pm on a Saturday - everyone fuelled with a few drinks & giving it large. 

Cheers!

7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Obtuse 

Only benefit i see from this game is that its not on BT sport, that shower o biast clowns are well out the frame.

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Obtuse 

There is for the TV bosses who want to be able to show the match live and stick to their schedule.

I'm inclined to think that everyone who goes will be there in time for kick off

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, maroon said:

Not that easy to get too from Glasgow city cetre

Less than 2 miles from Queen Street

GorgieRules22
1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I agree it’s a shite time for the game, we were all looking forward to a day out for the game and the prospect of potentially getting a massive away support behind the boys and have had that taken away. 

But some folk are talking about boycotts and that, which is daft. There’ll be buses running and trains every 15 minutes. **** the disappointment, people need to just deal with it. 

What stinks, like?

Imagine what some people would be like if we were based in England and faced with a midweek fixture 300 miles away and not 45 minutes on a train.  

Were not based in England though are we.

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

If we got paid 50 million a year from Sky like other EPL teams do then I am sure we would all be a little more understanding!

52 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

I was gonna get through with a few mates but none of us can be fecked with it now. Scottish football doesn't need our custom it seems. Shame as enjoyed the day out at Thistle last season & always enjoyed going there, great group of fans you have & always a good laugh with you in the boozer before/after - still hope there's a decent turnout but it won't be anything close to the amount, or the atmos it woulda been at 3pm on a Saturday - everyone fuelled with a few drinks & giving it large. 

Cheers!

We are getting 2,200 tickets and will sell out.

Partick have given us that amount because they want as many as their fans as possible in attendance, to give them backing and a better chance of going through.

There may be less of them due to the fact it's on TV on a Monday night, so advantage us as we'll have 2,200, the same as we would've had, had it been played on a Saturday.

I agree it's a crap kick off time but it won't have any effect on the size of our support.

Edited by Rudolf

1 hour ago, maroon said:

Not that easy to get too from Glasgow city cetre

It's very easy to get to.

61 bus will drop you right up the top of Maryhill Road / Bonawe Street and it's a 2 min walk (You'll see the church so it's easy to know where to get off). You can get this bus on Hope Street (across the road from Queen Street station) and they're very regular.

Or take the Subway from Buchanan Street to Kelvinbridge or St Georges X and you have a 15 min walk to the ground. There's quite a few of pubs on the way if you have time.

1 hour ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Were not based in England though are we.

No, we’re not. Which makes people chucking their toys out the pram that more tragic. 

58 minutes ago, Lambo85 said:

If we got paid 50 million a year from Sky like other EPL teams do then I am sure we would all be a little more understanding!

This place would go absolutely tonto if we were asked to travel to the other end of the country for a game that was being broadcast on Indian television but not British television. 

The Bookkeeper

It's interesting there has been no comment at all from the club with regards this scheduling. Its very evident they would know this would not go down well with the vast majority of the support yet they've chosen, so far, to say nothing. In my view if they remain quiet its a definite policy to pick their battles after the League Cup semi-final debacle. That said Budge is all about putting fans first and this decision quite clearly puts fans last so it would be some what hypocritical for her to simply avoid the topic.

1 hour ago, GorgieRules22 said:

Your no quite grasping it are you. You can make the game so you don’t care about anyone else do you....I’ll be there as usual but I’m gutted for guys and kids that can’t make it because it’s been changed from a weekend to a silly time on a Monday. You come across as a bit of an arse if I’m honest.

We're only getting 2,200 tickets so there will be loads of Hearts fans that wouldn't have got a ticket had the game been played on the week-end.

Now there's a fair chance that the tickets may not sell out in the first tranche and the loyalty points will be lowered to allow fans that may not have got a ticket to get one.

We'll sell out anyway.

Swings & roundabouts... 

Edited by Rudolf