Transfers

LeftBack

There's an item on BBC website about transfer fees in Britain going from Trevor Francis (1m) to Paul Pogba (98m). So who are our big money transfers. Beslija @£850000...ferguson @£450000?

queensferryjambo
3 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

There's an item on BBC website about transfer fees in Britain going from Trevor Francis (1m) to Paul Pogba (98m). So who are our big money transfers. Beslija @£850000...ferguson @£450000?

Derek Ferguson was £750,000 / £800,00 range coming from Rangers.

John Robertson was £800,000 / £850,000 range coming back from Newcastle.

Sorry cannot remember exact figures.

Just now, queensferryjambo said:

Forgot Robertson. Didn't think ferguson was as much as that but now you mention it it might have been we signed him for £850k and sold him to Sunderland for £450k

Did we even pay for beslija in the end? Did he not return after we only paid so much.

Robertson may still be the record transfer in.

Nade and kingston were both around £500k in my mind as well

41 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

Interesting that even if you inflation proof Robbo’s transfer fee from 1989 over the last 30 years, it would come in around £2m.  Imagine what a player like him would be worth today in the current market?  For a proven, 20 goal+ a season striker in his prime you’d have to pay at least double that.

How come we ended up paying more in transfer fees decades ago that we currently do, despite us having more money now and there being less money in the game?

4 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

How come we ended up paying more in transfer fees decades ago that we currently do, despite us having more money now and there being less money in the game?

The value of players has sent up more than how much money we have. 

And decades ago we financed these signings through loans we couldn't afford hence getting ourselves into a financial mess. Something we will hopefully never repeat. 

with debt

5 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Because we paid for them with debt which we won't do now.

14 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

In a word.

Bosman

In previous times the average players (those 95% who make up the main body) were paid much,much less in real terms as they could not leave at the end of their contracts unless a transfer fee was paid.  So players were stuck at a club on low wages (big players and big clubs excepted) 

So if a relatively smaller club actually decided to pay a fee, the wages were still low as they only had to be better than their previous club to make it worthwhile for a player to move.  Thus the money had to be made available for a transfer fee or the player couldnt come.

Now however, these players can move under freedom of contract so average teams dont need to spend money on transfer fees but need to on wages to persuade player A to join team B.

eg - Transfer fee 500k plus 3 years at 50k a year.  = total  cost £650k  now no transfer fee but say 225k a year.  Cost roughly the same to the clubs but the players are enriched.

Big clubs can still go out and pay both big transfer fees and big wages, but they are exception.

Edited by poggs

46 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Most SPL teams are like that, Aberdeen’s is still Paul Bernard, Dundee United is still Pressley etc.

Think one of the main problems is <£1m mean little these days. Previously spending that sort of money bought you a ‘top’ player(at SPL level atleast) but nowadays you’d require more than that for a decent league 1 player down south. You’re more likely to get a better player on a bosman.

15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/heart-of-midlothian-fc/transferrekorde/verein/43

Seems to have adjusted some of the fees to the current day equilavent

Says we got Mikey Stewart on a free, I thought we bust the bank and paid a quid for him. CL exaggerating his worth obviously. 

Oh wait, it was his loan period when CL signed him. A quid for a loan ?.

?

Edited by whodanny

5 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Says we got Mikey Stewart on a free, I thought we bust the bank and paid a quid for him. CL exaggerating his worth obviously. ?

£1 a month for the loan before we got him on a free I think.

Just now, graygo said:

£1 a month for the loan before we got him on a free I think.

Yeah, just realised and edited my post. Still, a quid a month, was he worth £12 for 17 apps ?

For the low amount we signed Souttar (recorded on that transfer market site) he could be our biggest return ever from buying a player to then selling.

2 hours ago, obua said:

Gordan Petric?

He was about £500k as well. Couldn't believe we'd spent that on him at the time as he wasn't worth the money. I never rated him at Dundee Utd or Rangers. Think we wasted about £250/300k on Jim Weir from Hamilton as well a few years later.

I remember when we got through to the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup, we brought back Robbo and signed Tosh McKinlay for just over a million between them (Tosh cost around £300 or £350k and we also got a short term sponsorship deal with Novafone before getting a years sponsorship from Thorn Security. That was the only season I remember not having a shirt sponsor at the start of it pre-1982.

Edited by jambonian

5 minutes ago, jambonian said:

He was about £500k as well. Couldn't believe we'd spent that on him at the time as he wasn't worth the money. I never rated him at Dundee Utd or Rangers. Think we wasted about £250/300k on Jim Weir from Hamilton as well a few years earlier.

I remember when we got through to the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup, we brought back Robbo and signed Tosh McKinlay for just over a million between them (Tosh cost around £300 or £350k and we also got a short term sponsorship deal with Novafone before getting a years sponsorship from Thorn Security. That was the only season I remember not having a shirt sponsor at the start of it pre-1982.

25 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I have a vague recollection that the transfer fee paid for ownership of Pinilla was close to £2million in the accounts.

??? Didn't know that.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

The value of players has sent up more than how much money we have. 

And decades ago we financed these signings through loans we couldn't afford hence getting ourselves into a financial mess. Something we will hopefully never repeat. 

Bosman, the money tends to go to players wages now. 

At our end free transfers are just as good as £1m signing. 

Freedom of contract, no transfer fee but the players get paid far more. 

Robertson was basically the money we received for him in the first place iirc. 

We also paid £250k for Brian Hamilton and about £400k for Tomeachek(sp) and Petric ? with the SMG money. 

Imagine paying a fee for a Brian Hamilton quality type play now..... 

54 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

I have a vague recollection that the transfer fee paid for ownership of Pinilla was close to £2million in the accounts.

I'm pretty sure I would remember that, could it maybe have been combined transfer fees that season or something?

Anyway, to the best of my recollection we paid 850k for Derek Ferguson which remains our record, matched by Beslija. Robbo was c. 750k

3 hours ago, whodanny said:

Yeah, just realised and edited my post. Still, a quid a month, was he worth £12 for 17 apps ?

I'm guessing our top wage these days is probably somewhere in the region of £5k per week (I'm not ITK though). If he'd been paying us £5k per game in order to play for us, it would still have been terrible value for money for the club!

22 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I'm guessing our top wage these days is probably somewhere in the region of £5k per week (I'm not ITK though). If he'd been paying us £5k per game in order to play for us, it would still have been terrible value for money for the club!

:clyay:

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

Was it £350k for Niemi?

Probably our best ever financial return on a player imo......probably even better than Skacel.

Picking up Osman Sow for free and selling him for 1.5 million has to be up there

1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

Picking up Osman Sow for free and selling him for 1.5 million has to be up there

Sorry I meant in terms of what they gave to the team. Phenomenal keeper for peanuts.

7 hours ago, jambonian said:

He was about £500k as well. Couldn't believe we'd spent that on him at the time as he wasn't worth the money. I never rated him at Dundee Utd or Rangers. Think we wasted about £250/300k on Jim Weir from Hamilton as well a few years later.

Thanks,I couldn’t remember what we paid I just recall how much I thaught he was a waste of time.