I can go to music paradise because I have listened to.....

Ulysses

Someone has already gone for "Aladdin Sane" which is one of my two favourites so I'll go for the 1973 classic, "Mott" by well, I'm sure you can guess...

220px-MottTheHoople_UK.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lovecraft

• Ulysses

• Marvin

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 09/02/2019 at 22:05, Phil Dunphy said:

A Night At The Opera takes some beating.

Nightmare... it's so freaking good, and that's from someone who thinks bo rhap is far too overplayed!!!!!

However, I still stick to Innuendo, absolutely phenomenal album, and as I have stated before, I loved it before I understood it's significance!!

Best I could find at quick notice, back to work!

32 minutes ago, lauriesrank said:

Nightmare... it's so freaking good, and that's from someone who thinks bo rhap is far too overplayed!!!!!

However, I still stick to Innuendo, absolutely phenomenal album, and as I have stated before, I loved it before I understood it's significance!!

Best I could find at quick notice, back to work!

See, I very much like Death On Two Legs and Love Of My Life from ANATO. Bo Rap is a bit over played, but for good reason. 

I actually found it difficult to choose a Queen album. Because News Of The World is also frighteningly good. 

On 10/02/2019 at 23:22, scott herbertson said:

Tough choice (too tough)

But probably this

Shostakovich subtitled it “A Soviet Artist’s Response to Justified Criticism” , usually thought to be a front for it really expressing the tragedy of Stalin's russia and the death of his friends at the hands of the regime

Beautiful and terrifying at the same time. My old man is a bassoonist and, on occasion when I've heard something he's played on it brings me to tears. Though I'm a punk/metalhead I love a bit classical and, for some reason Russian composers tickle my fancy more than most. Love a bit Puccini mind. Will look further into this one though

scott herbertson
19 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Beautiful and terrifying at the same time. My old man is a bassoonist and, on occasion when I've heard something he's played on it brings me to tears. Though I'm a punk/metalhead I love a bit classical and, for some reason Russian composers tickle my fancy more than most. Love a bit Puccini mind. Will look further into this one though

It made a huge impact on me when I first heard it - way back in 1978

Bizarrely I heard it in a fantastic documentary on the author of the book that became the film "The Treasure of the Sierra madre". It took me a few years to find out what the music was (no internet to look up) and then it took me another 35 years to track down the documentary.

The author was the mysterious B Traven -  even the filmakers (John Huston) didn't know who he was...

It's well worth a viewing though the copy is absolutely terrible - if you like real life mysteries this is about as weird as you can get with a fantasstic final scene (though some have disputed the conclusion)

The other 5 parts are on this guy's site

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyROaVQkY4_oPnIZSywwgNg

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

See, I very much like Death On Two Legs and Love Of My Life from ANATO. Bo Rap is a bit over played, but for good reason. 

I actually found it difficult to choose a Queen album. Because News Of The World is also frighteningly good. 

No disagreement from me (apart from bo rhap :P), and love of my life is freaking spectacular, death on two legs is also brilliant!!

43 minutes ago, lauriesrank said:

No disagreement from me (apart from bo rhap :P), and love of my life is freaking spectacular, death on two legs is also brilliant!!

That's a superb track :2thumbsup:

On 19/02/2019 at 22:10, jonesy said:

Have a great time, report back on how it was!

Was swayed by the fact WB is no longer with us. Wouldn't mind seeing DF solo anyway, but finances dictated on this occasion. Next time...(hopefully there is one!).

There's a decent wee favourable review in the Guardian.

For me the highlights were the Aja album tracks ( you won't be surprised), Aja, itself, which was a a fantastic collaboration of everyone on stage - epic - and Deacon Blues, which is just a great track, beautifully performed.  Also Time Out Of Mind was smooth as ****, along withGreen earrings. The Dannettes performed Dirty Work on their own.  Fairly rattled through 15 or so songs with a stand left vacant where Becker would have stood. Fagen mentioned Trump, saying he was happy to be away from the US for a bit but wryly said 'I know, I know, you have your problems, too.....' Good to see a few youngsters, there, among the old yins, a new generation of Dan fans.

D2373913-95D0-4E48-BFAA-13951D83F8F5.jpeg.f34572eb31c306964fe6c4544938fe68.jpeg

There’s a three-song sequence in the middle of this album which, for me, is the apex of the whole 60s/70s thing in terms of musicality, sophistication and lyrical brilliance. What the four-minute song could actually do in the hands of someone who was developing, genre-hopping and reinventing herself with each successive album. Better than anything I‘ve heard since. Better even than Swordfishtrombones/Raindogs-era Waits. There, I said it.

1 hour ago, leginten said:

D2373913-95D0-4E48-BFAA-13951D83F8F5.jpeg.f34572eb31c306964fe6c4544938fe68.jpeg

There’s a three-song sequence in the middle of this album which, for me, is the apex of the whole 60s/70s thing in terms of musicality, sophistication and lyrical brilliance. What the four-minute song could actually do in the hands of someone who was developing, genre-hopping and reinventing herself with each successive album. Better than anything I‘ve heard since. Better even than Swordfishtrombones/Raindogs-era Waits. There, I said it.

She's an an absolute genius. She should be mentioned in the same breath as Neil Young and Bob Dylan but in terms of the music she is hugely in front of either of them in terms of technicality. Though Hejira is my favourite album I think. 

19 minutes ago, Tazio said:

She's an an absolute genius. She should be mentioned in the same breath as Neil Young and Bob Dylan but in terms of the music she is hugely in front of either of them in terms of technicality. Though Hejira is my favourite album I think. 

I remember listening dumbfounded to ‘Strange Boy’ from Hejira when it came out. There was so much going on on that album - quite pared back but instrumentally brilliant. Lots of sounds I’d never heard or imagined before. That guitar sound...

Edited by leginten

All roads lead to Gorgie

I was playing some of my old vinyl last night and this from The Boss got me thinking of this thread. In my opinion his best most heart felt album with a large number to choose from.220px-BruceSpringsteenDarknessontheEdgeofTown.jpg.eaa13a53588d68319176e7db5ac00461.jpg

Image result for jesus and mary chain honey's dead 

Absolute nightmare to pick your favourite. I can listen to most music and enjoy. From Stevie Wonders - Talking Book, Nirvana - Bleach,  Dead Kennedys - Give me Convenience to anything by LCD Soundsystem. Christ there are hundreds!!

This album was in my teens and meant more to me....Great topic...

Edited by Beave1874

CavySlaveJambo
On 21/02/2019 at 13:47, Phil Dunphy said:

I Like Death on two legs and love of my life. And something has to be said about Good Company from ANATO.  

They have loads of good albums, and most of them have their mix of very good, bad, and wtf! songs, but I chose Queen II because of a generally very good album with no wtf Songs and The March of the Black Queen. 

On 18/02/2019 at 18:01, jim747 said:

First album I bought (with my paper round money, I was 13).

I was just a bit older when I bought my copy. Still a mind blowing record.  

Edited by JackLadd