The Specials -Two Tone Tour 1979

Hector Riva

Just found out that The Specials new album Encore is the No 1 seller / download in the uk.

40 years ago I went to see The Specials, Madness and the Selector on the Two Tone Tour in Tiffanys or was it Cinders?

40 YEARS AGO!!! It was fantastic.

40 Years !!!!!!!!

Anybody else go? 

Modds please move SORRY

Edited by Hector Riva

I was at Ayr Pavilion for the same tour. Pauline Black stole the show ahead of the two headliners! Somewhere I will still have the promotion poster I pinched off the wall at the entrance doors 

I was a bit sceptical when they reformed in much the same way as I would never want The Jam to reform.

However, have since been to a few cracking live shows and now they top it off with a quality album of new songs with up to date social commentary, something you don't get much these days.

N Lincs Jambo
2 hours ago, Hector Riva said:

Just found out that The Specials new album Encore is the No 1 seller / download in the uk.

40 years ago I went to see The Specials, Madness and the Selector on the Two Tone Tour in Tiffanys or was it Cinders?

40 YEARS AGO!!! It was fantastic.

40 Years !!!!!!!!

Anybody else go? 

Modds please move SORRY

Still Tiffanys in 79. Didn't see the Specials there (only saw them support the Clash in Dunfermline in 78) but saw Dexys there in May 80 and it was still Tiffanys then. Think it changed in 81??

I was there. Absolutely brilliant.

wish I’d kept my ticket. Would love to put a picture of it on a t-shirt.

unsure of the new album though. Maybe needs a few more listens.

• 3 weeks later...
Budgie's Boyfriend

The new album is not very good in my opinion , they are silly to snub Jerry Dammers 

Bridge of Djoum

Wasn't there 40 years ago but I just got tickets to see them here, (Brooklyn Steel) in June. $50 a ticket. Bargain.

Nookie Bear
On 09/02/2019 at 12:28, N Lincs Jambo said:

Still Tiffanys in 79. Didn't see the Specials there (only saw them support the Clash in Dunfermline in 78) but saw Dexys there in May 80 and it was still Tiffanys then. Think it changed in 81??

Specials supporting the Clash sounds pish ?

Mate says Dexys live around that time was the best gig he has ever been to. 

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

The new album is not very good in my opinion , they are silly to snub Jerry Dammers 

Vote For Me isn't that great imo

Didn't like the new album on first listen.  Decided to give it another spin earlier this week, and enjoyed it.

Got a signed cd.

N Lincs Jambo
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Specials supporting the Clash sounds pish ?

Mate says Dexys live around that time was the best gig he has ever been to. 

It was a bit weirder NB. Was my first ever gig and had the Coventry Specials ( as they were still known then) on first. Pretty well received tbh. Second on was Suicide from the States. 2-piece singer and synth player and they got gobbed off stage. Pretty riotous when the Clash were on.

Dexy’s at Tiffany’s in 80 was awesome 

SwindonJambo

I saw the Specials supporting the Rolling Stones in their home city of Coventry last June. They cranked out all the old hits and got a great reaction.

A robust centre forward

http://edinburghgigarchive.com/page23.htm

Used to go there many a Monday night for the concerts at Tiffanys. Have a look at t his website for gigs etc. Some great times there 

the general

was at this ... amazing night

one of the best bills ever

was sweltering in my full length black leather coat  ☺️

John mcCartney
11 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

It was a bit weirder NB. Was my first ever gig and had the Coventry Specials ( as they were still known then) on first. Pretty well received tbh. Second on was Suicide from the States. 2-piece singer and synth player and they got gobbed off stage. Pretty riotous when the Clash were on.

Suicide sandwiched in between Specials and The Clash ?
Promoter required a hefty clump to the nuts imo,total mismatch and badly sequenced....poor old Alan Vega

Loved the 2 Tone artwork around in those days,memories of buying me first music press and records out of Virgin
at Frederick street

I have seen them a few times since they reformed.  I think they do miss Neville Staples.

The show at the Barrowlands a few years ago was a bit flat compared to previous shows I had been to.

Edited by frankblack

Simon Jordan the old Crystal Palace owner tried to reform them a few years ago.

From the Jam are pretty good so there is no need for them to reform.

1 hour ago, DVB said:

Simon Jordan the old Crystal Palace owner tried to reform them a few years ago.

From the Jam are pretty good so there is no need for them to reform.

From the Jam are only one step removed from a tribute act.