Dalkeith

Kiwidoug

18 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I taught at Dalkeith High.......

If most of the pupils I had the honour of meeting achieved predominantly burger flipping jobs post school that would be a massive achievement for them.

Obviously never taught me because I'm clever as feck.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Obviously never taught me because I'm clever as feck.

You on fries?

Or do you have a headset? 

If so.....well done.

:kirk:

John Gentleman
On 08/02/2019 at 05:57, Dino Velvet said:

You want to move from new Zealand to dalkeith? Are you ****ing mad? 

You've obviously never lived in Wellington. Windiest city I've ever experienced (as in gale force, not bracing breezes).

10 hours ago, Smithee said:

Might have taught me, I'm thick as utter ****

:rofl: 

I think the fact that he thinks the ones he taught are flipping burgers says more about him than the pupils is lost on him.

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I once went out with a bursd from Mayfield. Met her in Valentino's at Tollcross and went out with her once. 

I won't go into the gory details, suffice to say a bus shelter and an impersonation of Herb Alpert was primarily the agenda. 

It was a long time ago but some things you can never forget.

She wasn't my type. 

Valentino’s. Brings back memories. 

4 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I once went out with a bursd from Mayfield. Met her in Valentino's at Tollcross and went out with her once. 

I won't go into the gory details, suffice to say a bus shelter and an impersonation of Herb Alpert was primarily the agenda. 

She wasn't my type. 

:getout:

On Friday, February 08, 2019 at 22:05, Der Kaiser said:

If most of the pupils I had the honour of meeting achieved predominantly burger flipping jobs post school that would be a massive achievement for them.

Think that says more about the teacher than the pupils?

20 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

She wasn't my type. 

I'm not surprised if she had a clarinet?

If it was me, I'd choose South Queensferry over Midlothian if you can afford it. 

A nice, historic town, good pubs and restaurants and easy access to Edinburgh on the train. Even the buses are a bit better now. Close to the airport, too.

38 minutes ago, Darren said:

If it was me, I'd choose South Queensferry over Midlothian if you can afford it. 

A nice, historic town, good pubs and restaurants and easy access to Edinburgh on the train. Even the buses are a bit better now. Close to the airport, too.

Yes - I would agree with this statement.  I'm a Dalkeith laddie but moved to the Ferry 25 years ago - wouldn't dream of ever going back there.  Ferry has a great community spirit - Dalkeith has spiralled into a terrible place with all the jakeballs in the area now.

25 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Are we seeing this housing growth in Hearts or Hibs areas of the city?

Is there a clear demarcation line?

Plans for future developments seem to be more focused on the west of the town, so would imagine more Hearts-biased:

Image result for edinburgh local development plan

14 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Plans for future developments seem to be more focused on the west of the town, so would imagine more Hearts-biased:

Image result for edinburgh local development plan

That seems to only cover the Edinburgh Council area though. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

That seems to only cover the Edinburgh Council area though. 

Think it's a bit out of data as well - doesn't have the new bridge  or new M90 link. 

52 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Are we seeing this housing growth in Hearts or Hibs areas of the city?

Is there a clear demarcation line?

Social housing is always kept to the minimum required by the council, which I guess answers your question?

8 hours ago, dunx747 said:

Yes - I would agree with this statement.  I'm a Dalkeith laddie but moved to the Ferry 25 years ago - wouldn't dream of ever going back there.  Ferry has a great community spirit - Dalkeith has spiralled into a terrible place with all the jakeballs in the area now.

I don't think that's entirely fair.

Especially seeing as you've said you've been out of the place for twenty odd years

With the exception of woodburn (which admitadly is a dump) the rest of the areas around dalkeith are improving. Or at the very least values are going up as Edinburgh outskirts creeps ever closer.

Edited by Alan_R

As an aside I was through in east Ayrshire today.

Driving through some of the wee town's was an eye opener. One in particular ,unsure of name but passed a store called something like newmills convenience?

Almost the whole "main Street" was boarded up. Made Midlothian seem like paradise. Absolute dive of a place

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

Especially seeing as you've said you've been out of the place for twenty odd years

With the exception of woodburn (which admitadly is a dump) the rest of the areas around dalkeith are improving. Or at the very least values are going up as Edinburgh outskirts creeps ever closer.

I'd back that up. Dalkeith (and surrounding area) has improved loads since the 90s. 

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

9 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Not at all - I'm out there every other week as I still have very close ties with the town. But when you have multiple incidents of drug related arrests and a few muggings right on your old dears doorstep it kinda tempers your view. And I am talking about pure Dalkeith town centre - not Woodburn - that's really some place now.

On 08/02/2019 at 22:05, Der Kaiser said:

What years did you teach at Dalkeith High?