worst takeaway in Edinburgh

Tynieman

1 minute ago, Locky said:

Sure I read online a wee while ago that the family were selling up this year.

I'll ask next time I'm in.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick James

• milky_26

• Morgan

• chester copperpot

Never tried it for years John as it went downhill from what it used to be. Remember Fridays when I was young there would be a huge queue half way down the street at teatime

16 minutes ago, joe.gausden said:

Never tried it for years John as it went downhill from what it used to be. Remember Fridays when I was young there would be a huge queue half way down the street at teatime

All chippies in the 1950s were like that though. ?

20 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

All chippies in the 1950s were like that though. ?

Have to take your word for that auld yin :)

45 minutes ago, joe.gausden said:

There was a spell when I lived nearby in the early 2000s when I preferred Javits to the Jubilee. 

I just remembered the chippy on Rose Street, which is absolutely bowfin.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

There was a spell when I lived nearby in the early 2000s when I preferred Javits to the Jubilee. 

I just remembered the chippy on Rose Street, which is absolutely bowfin.

Most city centre chippies are rubbish in my ( late night ) experience. 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Café Picante is decent if you can call that a city centre chippy

luckyBatistuta
On 10/02/2019 at 17:56, cannonfoda said:

Always used to be hundreds of taxi drivers in mamaris kebab shop opposite rankeillor street.

Only one I use, still loads of taxi drivers in there every night for their dinner.

6 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Only one I use, still loads of taxi drivers in there every night for their dinner.

Used to be chippie next door but old guy died I think and mamaris took over.  

Used to love the mixed kebab.

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Where is that?

Top of broughton st, it’s a great takeaway. They also have one at the far end of London rd but I’ve never been in it. As for shan takeaways I’d put the kingfisher top of that list, asked for a fish supper and the guy proceeded to cook it in a frying pan ? I walked out 

chester copperpot
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

The Kingfisher used to be ok was it not. The one up from the grassmarket. Granted this was 20 years ago mind

chester copperpot
1 hour ago, cannonfoda said:

Also liked the bbq on corstorphine road back in  the day

I still stop there every now and then for a hamburger supper on my way back from Edinburgh every now and then. The laddie says it's his favourite chippy ever but he's used to o e hamburger being from the weeg. 

21 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

The Kingfisher used to be ok was it not. The one up from the grassmarket. Granted this was 20 years ago mind

I’d avoid it nowadays Chester it’s awful mate, same people owned the chippy at haymarket too ???

7 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

How far back are you talking? It was horrific 10 years ago.

Not stayed there for 15 years...

chester copperpot
2 hours ago, Jambojay84 said:

I’d avoid it nowadays Chester it’s awful mate, same people owned the chippy at haymarket too ???

Shame that as used to love a cheeseburger supper out of there steaming!

Rupert Custard
16 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

Also liked the bbq on corstorphine road back in  the day

Very good when I stayed there.

In contrast, there was a chip shop on Kirk Loan (down past Winstons and the snooker club) that was rank. Only went once - came back with a mass of greasy batter, inside of which were the remnants of what must have been a sardine. 

16 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

15 hours ago, Jambojay84 said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/edinburgh-takeaway-s-horrendous-reviews-leave-locals-in-stitches-1-4815869

Its just been taken over though.

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

The crollas owned it? I assume it'll be the same family. 

No idea. Just noticed a couple of EEN articles making a show of it that it was under new ownership.

4 hours ago, Rupert Custard said:

Very good when I stayed there.

In contrast, there was a chip shop on Kirk Loan (down past Winstons and the snooker club) that was rank. Only went once - came back with a mass of greasy batter, inside of which were the remnants of what must have been a sardine. 

I think you mean Manse Road, Tarry's if my memory serves me?

4 minutes ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

I think you mean Manse Road, Tarry's if my memory serves me?

Sure that turned into a Chinese takeaway about ten years or more ago?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Chester™ said:

No idea. Just noticed a couple of EEN articles making a show of it that it was under new ownership.

No worries. It mentioned their name in the article. 

21 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

Used to be chippie next door but old guy died I think and mamaris took over.  

Used to love the mixed kebab.

Think that was Palmyra. If so, worked with a guy who's dad was the boy that ran it. Said guy was at Hearts when he was younger.

That might be on the sight of the old Oscars chippy actually. That was good back in the day. Hasn't been a chippy for years now.

Piccante is nice but ****ing extortionate. I usually prefer to head round to Giuliano's if I'm in that neck of the woods. Deep Sea ain't too bad either IIRC.

On 11/02/2019 at 17:28, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Aye. Tell your mate the Bombay lounge is better. At least, I don't know anyone to spew after eating there. The vindaloo and green chilli lamb are excellent. 

I've told his mate many a time that the Bombay Lounge is better.

A few years ago, I got a chicken curry and fried rice from SWS at Stenhouse Cross. It was the most repulsive thing I've ever had from a takeaway. The chicken wasn't cooked properly and the rice was like mush.

It was the first and last time I ever went there. It may just have been a one-off, I don't know.

It was at least a year before I had Chinese again, the thought of it turned my stomach. That's how bad it was.

On 13/02/2019 at 11:12, Locky said:

Think that was Palmyra. If so, worked with a guy who's dad was the boy that ran it. Said guy was at Hearts when he was younger.

That might be on the sight of the old Oscars chippy actually. That was good back in the day. Hasn't been a chippy for years now.

The old boy who owned the wee chippy before marmaris was called pasquale. Used to get sent up there often from my granny when I was younger. 

13 hours ago, Bluesy1874 said:

The old boy who owned the wee chippy before marmaris was called pasquale. Used to get sent up there often from my granny when I was younger. 

That sounds about right. Was it no him that was Paul's dad?

1 minute ago, Locky said:

That sounds about right. Was it no him that was Paul's dad?

Possibly, I can't really remember his son to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Bluesy1874 said:

Possibly, I can't really remember his son to be honest. 

He worked with us ya donut. Wee Paul Adamo.

On 07/02/2019 at 18:15, jamboj said:

The chippy in Stockbridge opposite the rugby club was utterly chronic the last time I went

Francos.  Yip, absolutely dreadful chippy since nino and franco gave it up.  

On 12/02/2019 at 15:03, Jambojay84 said:

Top of broughton st, it’s a great takeaway. They also have one at the far end of London rd but I’ve never been in it. As for shan takeaways I’d put the kingfisher top of that list, asked for a fish supper and the guy proceeded to cook it in a frying pan ? I walked out 

Not been into the broughton street one but the one on London road Iv been too and it was rancid.  Binned after a few chips and slice if pizza   ??

On 11/02/2019 at 20:13, Rupert Custard said:

Going back 20 years, there was a Chinese takeaway next to the Carrick Knowe Inn. Got a sweet & sour chicken which turned out to be a glow in the dark msg gloop poured on top of some chicken pieces. Vile.

The Happy Palace? The chippy/chinese, it was brutal. The chippy now in its place isn't much better

Bad Edinburgh takeaways? 

The place next to Whistle Binkies, can't remember its name but I once had a kebab from there after a bevy and the meat had the texture of sealant that you put round your bath or shower. Put the whole lot in the bin.

St Johns was crap before it closed, chips tasted like hot water.

SWS isny very good either.

Edited by Buster

15 minutes ago, Buster said:

Bad Edinburgh takeaways? 

The place next to Whistle Binkies, can't remember its name but I once had a kebab from there after a bevy and the meat had the texture of sealant that you put round your bath or shower. Put the whole lot in the bin.

Pizza Paradise?

Probably only in business because it’s open at stupid o’clock when folk are on their way home from 12 hours of drinking. 

4 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Pizza Paradise?

Probably only in business because it’s open at stupid o’clock when folk are on their way home from 12 hours of drinking. 

awful pizzas even when steaming

6 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Pizza Paradise?

Aye thats the place, I can't describe how bad that kebab was. Thats saying something because most things taste ok when you're blootered!

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

awful pizzas even when steaming

Never tried one. Been once for chips on the way home, awful. Some had the texture of baby food some had the texture of an apple. If they can’t cook chips I wouldn’t trust them with pizza or kebabs etc. 

2 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Never tried one. Been once for chips on the way home, awful. Some had the texture of baby food some had the texture of an apple. If they can’t cook chips I wouldn’t trust them with pizza or kebabs etc. 

think cardboard swimming in grease and undercooked

Maroon Sailor
On 12/02/2019 at 10:22, John Findlay said:

Jubilee is not closing mate. Still going strong. I'm a 30 second walk from them.

TF I read further on. The Jubilee is a cracking chippy

Maroon Sailor
On 12/02/2019 at 10:06, Ray Gin said:

How far back are you talking? It was horrific 10 years ago.

I agree with that about Stenhouse. Glad it's still thought of as gash as I haven't been tempted to try recently

When lived Craigshill there was a scabby chippy next to the Tower. The food was so rotten even our dog (who literally  ate everything) turned her nose up at it. Seriously it was so nasty we wanted to :boak: