worst takeaway in Edinburgh

Tynieman

Spicey Bites Dundee street

Went for a Kebab after a game on the way home and shop was surprisingly empty apart from a girl outside on her phone.

Waiting for my order i saw the guys check on her hamburger in the Pizza oven and dropped it on the floor, looked at each other glanced at me then picked it up and slipped it back in the tray.

I know i should have said something but i was pissed and tired and to be honest the Kebab was alright.

Years ago down working near Trinity Academy we noticed a new take away shop open at lunchtime in we went purused the menu and as i was first i chose the burgers and chips.

Off she went holding her child and lit a match to light the gas under the chip pan on the gas cooker in the back shop.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick James

• milky_26

• Morgan

• chester copperpot

Siphiwe Tshabalala
6 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Still the Harbour carry out in Port Seton across from the Co-op. Locally known as “Ivy’s”. 

Is for me anyway. Heard stories about it but its been brilliant every time ive been in. 2 decent chippies in Port Seton as well. 

Full House in the Pans by a mile.

Although was crap on New Years Day sadly.

Siphiwe Tshabalala
4 hours ago, OTT said:

Being a burrito fan I have to say Burrito and shake is an utter abomination and the quicker they shut down the better. Tasteless crap. Like, imagine taking the most flavoursome delight you can find and then replacing all of that with ****ing cardboard.

Its ****ing offensive. Seems like there is zero desire to provide quality food, they just want your money. Robbing *******s.

One and only time I've left a food review. It bothered me that much. *****.  

Agreed.

My arsehole pals think it’s great too. Idiots.

Illegal Jacks is the best I’ve had in the UK since Chipotle in the States.

Can't remember what it was called, a vegetarian Indian restaurant that was on the bridges. Think it was just along from where watties is/was, this was over 20 years ago. They done an all you could eat buffet for lunch. To increase profits all, the pakoras were made with some amount of flour in them so they would fill you up quicker. I managed 2 but was getting the serious boke, as was the rest of our crowd of 6.

6 hours ago, robbo1874 said:

Up a wee bit from the anchor. Next to Jubilee. 

Jubilee my favourite chippy. Javits my worst.

Had one of the worst currys ever from Jaflong. Greasy, tasteless muck. Zero care put into it, massive chunks of onion and tomatoes that they seemingly couldn't be arsed chopping up properly. 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Firrhill. ?

Oxgangs.

Used it once when i lived at Colinton.

Ah ok, it's just that I know the area well and have never heard of or seen the Firrhill fry.

chester copperpot

Glad I don't live in Edinburgh now but when I was there I once tried an Indian that was straight out of a pataks jar.

It's now called Asha's in Corstorphine, wasn't sure what it was called before but it was absolutely disgusting.

The only positive about now living in Airdrie is that it has absolutely banging takeaways. There's a few that are magic.

On 08/02/2019 at 13:18, luckyBatistuta said:

Probably, never been my thing. I’m out to work and get home. Did do it a couple of times when I first started the job, but the testosterone level in the place was ridiculous.

Tried to add a gif, but site is back to being almost unu?sable 

Always used to be hundreds of taxi drivers in mamaris kebab shop opposite rankeillor street.

Captain Sausage
8 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Glad I don't live in Edinburgh now but when I was there I once tried an Indian that was straight out of a pataks jar.

It's now called Asha's in Corstorphine, wasn't sure what it was called before but it was absolutely disgusting.

The only positive about now living in Airdrie is that it has absolutely banging takeaways. There's a few that are magic.

:rofl:

Are you slagging Edinburgh’s food offerings by using a comparison with Airdrie?

As in, the Airdrie? The one outside Glasgow? That one? Surely not?! :lol:

chester copperpot
13 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Takeaways. Not restaurants.

51 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

The thread is about Take away food.

As in Take away.

Not sit-in, Lke Restaurant.

Take away.

Captain Sausage
8 hours ago, Morgan said:

The thread is about Take away food.

As in Take away.

Not sit-in, Lke Restaurant.

Take away.

9 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

Takeaways. Not restaurants.

Okay I’ll rephrase. 

Stating that Airdrie somehow trumps Edinburgh when it comes to takeaways is like saying Middlesbrough does better takeaways than London. 

10 hours ago, Herbert said:

Slightly off topic, is the chicken supper a Edinburgh thing?

Supper probably, was in Derby a few years back visiting a burd i met in majorca, asked

for a sausage supper, with reply, u wot love, they had never heard of it.

10 hours ago, Herbert said:

Slightly off topic, is the chicken supper a Edinburgh thing?

Given that Glaswegian and even English football fans have been known to gleefully chant a certain song involving a chicken supper, I'd say no, it's not exclusive to Edinburgh.

All roads lead to Gorgie
40 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Supper probably, was in Derby a few years back visiting a burd i met in majorca, asked

for a sausage supper with reply, u wot love, they had never heard of it.

She probably thought there was some innuendo there ?

Shanks said no
On 09/02/2019 at 14:42, Dino Velvet said:

7htbw.jpg

Station Takeaway was inspected on 8th January 2019 and another Improvement Required notice was served on them

On 08/02/2019 at 22:35, Janbo1874 said:

Spicey Bites Dundee street

Went for a Kebab after a game on the way home and shop was surprisingly empty apart from a girl outside on her phone.

Waiting for my order i saw the guys check on her hamburger in the Pizza oven and dropped it on the floor, looked at each other glanced at me then picked it up and slipped it back in the tray.

I know i should have said something but i was pissed and tired and to be honest the Kebab was alright.

Years ago down working near Trinity Academy we noticed a new take away shop open at lunchtime in we went purused the menu and as i was first i chose the burgers and chips.

Off she went holding her child and lit a match to light the gas under the chip pan on the gas cooker in the back shop.

I would not be surprised if a lot of places apply the five second rule.  

From what I heard (at least in the past), a certain branch of a well known pizza restaurant done this. 

The Old Tolbooth
On 08/02/2019 at 16:52, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I know of 3 people who got food poisoning in itihaas, dalkeith. I live near it and the kitchen is disgusting, people smoking in kitchen, etc.

I usually have an iron stomach, but grant Murray's subway sandwiches, also dalkeith, made me Ill.

Dirty Hibs ****. 

One of my mates swears by Itihaas, reckons it's the best Indian in the whole of Scotland and brags about their awards and stuff, he keeps trying to get me to go as well, think I'll politely decline now :lol: 

There's chippy in Inverkeithing, I forget the name but it's just up the hill off the main street, it's utterly disgusting, I really can't see that staying open long like, not when the main chippy in the town is so good. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
13 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

One of my mates swears by Itihaas, reckons it's the best Indian in the whole of Scotland and brags about their awards and stuff, he keeps trying to get me to go as well, think I'll politely decline now :lol: 

There's chippy in Inverkeithing, I forget the name but it's just up the hill off the main street, it's utterly disgusting, I really can't see that staying open long like, not when the main chippy in the town is so good. 

Oh it tastes pretty good. However, my mum and brother both got food poisoning there and also my mum's next door neighbour. I live along the road and pass the kitchen almost every day, saw some wifey coming out with the end of a lit cigarette hanging from her mouth, last year.

??

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

The Old Tolbooth
4 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Oh it tastes pretty good. However, my mum and brother both got food poisoning there and also my mum's next door neighbour. I live along the road and pass the kitchen almost every day, saw some wifey coming out with the end of a lit cigarette hanging from her mouth, last year.

??

As a non smoker and never having smoked in my life, that gives me the boak right away! :sick:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

As a non smoker and never having smoked in my life, that gives me the boak right away! :sick:

Aye. Tell your mate the Bombay lounge is better. At least, I don't know anyone to spew after eating there. The vindaloo and green chilli lamb are excellent. 

42 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Which takeaways did you eat from in Airdrie to enable you to make the comparison ? 

It's a good point - shitholes often have good takeaways. I think it's because the owners would get battered (!) otherwise.

Captain Sausage
47 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Which takeaways did you eat from in Airdrie to enable you to make the comparison ? 

My Dad is from Coatbridge and all his family still lives around there. Had plenty from the area, and they’re all mediocre/average. 

Ridiculous assertion that it has better than Edinburgh. 

10 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Okay I’ll rephrase. 

Stating that Airdrie somehow trumps Edinburgh when it comes to takeaways is like saying Middlesbrough does better takeaways than London. 

But only if one has eaten takeaways in both Airdrie, and in Edinburgh.

I haven’t.

I’m positive @chester copperpot has.

Captain Sausage
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

But only if one has eaten takeaways in both Airdrie, and in Edinburgh.

I haven’t.

I’m positive @chester copperpot has.

Read my post above ?

Edited by Captain Sausage

chester copperpot
28 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

My Dad is from Coatbridge and all his family still lives around there. Had plenty from the area, and they’re all mediocre/average. 

Ridiculous assertion that it has better than Edinburgh. 

Och mate I am maybe generalizing as didn't have many takeaways when I stayed in Edinburgh (apart from the Victoria Chinese in Restalrig which to this day has never been bettered).

Let me know next you order takeaway and will give you somewhere banging. 

P.s what part of Coatbridge. Working in Townhead the now delivering a football programme, errrrrmm severe lack of talent in that particular area and thought it would be the opposite. 

Flava on liberton road

Genuinly terrible (Mrs choose it on just eat and it wasn’t until itnarrived we realised where it was from, needless to say, she’s not choosing again soon)

st Andrews chippy night portobello 

had a chicken kapsalon from them and was out of both ends for 3 days ? never again 

Captain Sausage
3 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Och mate I am maybe generalizing as didn't have many takeaways when I stayed in Edinburgh (apart from the Victoria Chinese in Restalrig which to this day has never been bettered).

Let me know next you order takeaway and will give you somewhere banging. 

P.s what part of Coatbridge. Working in Townhead the now delivering a football programme, errrrrmm severe lack of talent in that particular area and thought it would be the opposite. 

Will do ?

My gran lives down near Coatdyke station but the rest are out near the golf club. 

Never had anything other than a bog standard takeaway. 

The Mighty Thor

China garden haddington.

Waited 45 minutes as the boy forgot the order, despite asking about it twice and when I got it home it was rancid. 

I could have knocked it together better using uncle bens jars. 

9 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Given that Glaswegian and even English football fans have been known to gleefully chant a certain song involving a chicken supper, I'd say no, it's not exclusive to Edinburgh.

Haha I forgot about that. I never really notice it on the menu.

Rupert Custard

Going back 20 years, there was a Chinese takeaway next to the Carrick Knowe Inn. Got a sweet & sour chicken which turned out to be a glow in the dark msg gloop poured on top of some chicken pieces. Vile.

Stenhouse chippy used to be a hidden gem, but for the first time in years I had a fish supper from there, it has to be a contender for this thread!

On 09/02/2019 at 00:43, EIEIO said:

The one along from platform 5 pub? If so bang on it's shite.

Never been, but pass it frequently on a Saturday night if coming back from an away day or a Friday after work.

The display cabinets are full of food from about 4-5pm onwards. Don't know if it's genuinely that busy that they need to do this, or if they're just to lazy to cook fresh on order. Wouldn't fancy eating something that's sat for hours anyway.

On 09/02/2019 at 02:45, lsimp77 said:

Not technically Edinburgh, but the rainbow cafe in Musselburgh. Utter shitehole. 

Never been. Frying Scotsman is the daddy of Musselburgh chippy's Had wraps, pizzas, burgers, suppers, the lot, and not a bad one yet.

On 09/02/2019 at 19:12, John Findlay said:

Jubilee my favourite chippy. Javits my worst.

Haven't had a Jubilee for a long time but my uncle lived in Wardieburn when I was wee so used to get one frequently in the late 90's. Shame that they're closing.

Had Javits a couple of times, and seems to be very popular in the area, but not a patch on the Jubilee.

On 10/02/2019 at 17:56, cannonfoda said:

Always used to be hundreds of taxi drivers in mamaris kebab shop opposite rankeillor street.

Think it still is popular with them. Not sure why to be honest. Cracking shop though, my dad stays round the corner so still go regularly.

My dad was pumping a lassie who had been married to one of the original owners. Shady character. Talking Turkish mafia type.

13 hours ago, Tynieman said:

Stenhouse chippy used to be a hidden gem, but for the first time in years I had a fish supper from there, it has to be a contender for this thread!

How far back are you talking? It was horrific 10 years ago.

25 minutes ago, Locky said:

Haven't had a Jubilee for a long time but my uncle lived in Wardieburn when I was wee so used to get one frequently in the late 90's. Shame that they're closing.

Had Javits a couple of times, and seems to be very popular in the area, but not a patch on the Jubilee.

Jubilee is not closing mate. Still going strong. I'm a 30 second walk from them.

6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Jubilee is not closing mate. Still going strong. I'm a 30 second walk from them.

Sure I read online a wee while ago that the family were selling up this year.