• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick James

• milky_26

• Morgan

• chester copperpot

3 coins at Tolcross.    Run by a really nice wee Italian auld boy who runs the gaff single handed, full time.     But he can't even do a decent kebab or even chips.     

maroonlegions

Firrhill Fry, shite chips,  fish  sliced down the middle  to get  twice the profit  for a fish supper, once order a chicken kaba, stood there and watched the boy feck off to the back and return with a small metal tray with slices of cooked chicken which appeared to be floating  in some water, he then put it in  the pizza oven to heat  it up.:cornette:

Needless to say i raised my concern's  , cancelled the order and fecked off out of the shop. 

Chicken should marinated first for a start. 

Edited by maroonlegions

worst i've ever had was tiger tiger? in port seton. had sweet and sour chicken (i think) and it was sickly sweet like they had just glazed down a jar of syrup.

2 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Firrhill Fry, shite chips,  fish  sliced down the middle  to get  twice the profit  for a fish supper, once order a chicken kaba, stood there and watched the boy feck off to the back and return with a small metal try with slices of cooked chicken which appeared to be floating  in some water, he then put it in  the pizza oven to heat  it up.:cornette:

Needless to say i raised my concern's  , cancelled the order and fecked off out of the shop. 

Chicken should marinated first for a start. 

:boak:

Shanks said no

The only takeaway ever to give one of us proper food poisoning was the Chinese in the Craigshill Mall, Livingston. Fortunately my wife and I never get the same thing and she drew the short straw.

She contracted Campylobacter and we had a visit from Environmental Health as there was a spate of them in our area, wife had to recall everything she had eaten and they even had a look in our fridge. They traced it back to the Chinese. 

rudi must stay

Has to be Burrito and Shake

May as well have made it myself, so basic it was incredible and there was no flavour whatsoever. Also got a pizza from a Scottish themed place along Newington, think it was Bang N Gourmet, wasn't cooked right and I felt awful for days. Wouldn't recommend that place although their burgers are ok

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, Victorian said:

3 coins at Tolcross.    Run by a really nice wee Italian auld boy who runs the gaff single handed, full time.     But he can't even do a decent kebab or even chips.     

Very nice man yes. His pizzas seemed ok, but when I had them I'd always had a few 

I thin 3 Coins has closed down now. Replaced with a Cheeky Chicken or something. 

I use to live across the road above the Cameo - got chips once and they were honking, the pizza after a few pints wasn't bad though. IIRC the guy was Greek, not Italian. 

luckyBatistuta

Chip Shop at Roseburn gave me a Fish supper for the price of just a bag of chips. Found out why when I went to eat it, fish was shoite and so were the chips, won’t ever be back there again.

Wong’s on St John’s Road, I was certainly wong to use the place, awful.

Topkapi chicken kebabs are the worst ever. Went back a second time recently, as I thought it was just an off night. It was exactly the same again. They should maybe try coooking the fekn chicken, almost raw.

Edited by luckyBatistuta

32 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Chip Shop at Roseburn gave me a Fish supper for the price of just a bag of chips. Found out why when I went to eat it, fish was shoite and so were the chips, won’t ever be back there again.

Wong’s on St John’s Road, I was certainly wong to use the place, awful.

Topkapi chicken kebabs are the worst ever. Went back a second time recently, as I thought it was just an off night. It was exactly the same again. They should maybe try coooking the fekn chicken, almost raw.

Chippy at Roseburn looks like it’s closed down 

Wongs just looks shit 

Topkapi is now owned by the same guy who’s got the chippy in Saughton mains , it’s certainly nowhere near as good as it used to be , even the salad dressing and chilli sauces are poor now 

luckyBatistuta
33 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Chippy at Roseburn looks like it’s closed down 

Wongs just looks shit 

Topkapi is now owned by the same guy who’s got the chippy in Saughton mains , it’s certainly nowhere near as good as it used to be , even the salad dressing and chilli sauces are poor now 

A taxi driver diet, you just can’t beat it :facepalm:;)

We recently watched a documentary on Just Eat / Deliveroo type thigns which mentioned the fact that some of the plases on there don't have the required hygiene certificates or something like that.

Out of interest, we started looking at a few of the places we've ordered from before (see here to check http://ratings.food.gov.uk/ )

Came across a couple of places we've used which had 'Improvement Required' or something like that which isn't ideal. Obviously you don't know what the improvement needed is etc, and it might be nothing to worry about...... maybe sometimes its better NOT knowing these things haha!

But aye, would be lying if I said the site I've linked to hasn't influenced our choice of takeaways now.

29 minutes ago, Erik said:

We recently watched a documentary on Just Eat / Deliveroo type thigns which mentioned the fact that some of the plases on there don't have the required hygiene certificates or something like that.

Out of interest, we started looking at a few of the places we've ordered from before (see here to check http://ratings.food.gov.uk/ )

Came across a couple of places we've used which had 'Improvement Required' or something like that which isn't ideal. Obviously you don't know what the improvement needed is etc, and it might be nothing to worry about...... maybe sometimes its better NOT knowing these things haha!

But aye, would be lying if I said the site I've linked to hasn't influenced our choice of takeaways now.

Was that the one by Stacey Dooley?

One if the big shocks was the deliveroo porticabins cooking all the food and not the expected takeaway place

40 minutes ago, Erik said:

I noticed the chippy nearest me in Bonnyrigg had an Improvement Required' rating a while back. I avoid that one now. Thank feck for Just Eat. It's not far off an hours walk, there and back to the next nearest.

30 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Was that the one by Stacey Dooley?

One if the big shocks was the deliveroo porticabins cooking all the food and not the expected takeaway place

Yeah I think it was that one yup.

LIke I say, its maybe not entirely fair to judge a place poorly on that rating alone, without knowing the details I guess - having a quick look through the list of places for Edinburgh and theres a fair few surprises in the 'Improvement Required' category that I would otherwise have had no issue in eating at / from.

But....... if i'm faced between making a choice between two unknown takeaways and one has a pass and the other has improvement required, I know which one i'm picking 9 times out of 10 lol :)

Some notable 'Improvement Required' ratings I spotted in Edinburgh for bigger / more popular or well known places:

- 52 Canoes

- Abida

- Baba Budan

- Badabing

- Bread Meats Bread

- Bross Bagels

- Burger

- Café Andaluz

- Civerinos / Civerinos Slice

- Dough

- Finn & Bear

- Forage & Chatter

- Jashans

- La Favorita (Porty branch)

- Lola Lo

- McCowans (Fountainbridge)

- Mr Basrais

- Patisserie Valerie

- Tony Macaroni

39 minutes ago, Erik said:

Yeah I think it was that one yup.

LIke I say, its maybe not entirely fair to judge a place poorly on that rating alone, without knowing the details I guess - having a quick look through the list of places for Edinburgh and theres a fair few surprises in the 'Improvement Required' category that I would otherwise have had no issue in eating at / from.

But....... if i'm faced between making a choice between two unknown takeaways and one has a pass and the other has improvement required, I know which one i'm picking 9 times out of 10 lol :)

Some notable 'Improvement Required' ratings I spotted in Edinburgh for bigger / more popular or well known places:

- 52 Canoes

- Abida

- Baba Budan

- Badabing

- Bread Meats Bread

- Bross Bagels

- Burger

- Café Andaluz

- Civerinos / Civerinos Slice

- Dough

- Finn & Bear

- Forage & Chatter

- Jashans

- La Favorita (Porty branch)

- Lola Lo

- McCowans (Fountainbridge)

- Mr Basrais

- Patisserie Valerie

- Tony Macaroni

Had a sit-in curry in Jashans last Thursday. Food was fine, never got a look at their kitchen mind.

8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

A taxi driver diet, you just can’t beat it :facepalm:;)

TBF I don’t think either of us come under the “classic” taxi driver shape . ??

Im always amazed how many cabs are parked up outside the city kebab shop on Fountainbridge on a Friday night ? 

I take it the owners of Samsuns had had enough like the topkapi owners too? 

16 hours ago, Morgan said:

Worst I ever had in Edinburgh was from India Today on Morningside Road.

Used to frequent that about 20 years ago and it was a great takeaway, not used it for a long time though...glad now if it's gone downhill, and suppose after 20 years it's more than likely had a few changes.

2 hours ago, robbo1874 said:

Good Choice Chinese on West Granton Road. Truly brutal and chatty

Is that the one next door to the Anchor?

Javits in wester hailes is shite. I expect high quality food when they have a radio aadvert and you have to dodge junkies,drug dealers and neds just to get in but the kebab meat is always dry and the chips need cooked and  the salt and sauce are on ration. Aldos down the road is much better.

18 hours ago, milky_26 said:

worst i've ever had was tiger tiger? in port seton. had sweet and sour chicken (i think) and it was sickly sweet like they had just glazed down a jar of syrup.

The Tiger in Cockenzie High Street is bad but 2nd to The Dragon Way in Prestonpans. Risking a week off work eating there!

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

TBF I don’t think either of us come under the “classic” taxi driver shape . ??

Im always amazed how many cabs are parked up outside the city kebab shop on Fountainbridge on a Friday night ? 

I take it the owners of Samsuns had had enough like the topkapi owners too? 

Probably, never been my thing. I’m out to work and get home. Did do it a couple of times when I first started the job, but the testosterone level in the place was ridiculous.

Tried to add a gif, but site is back to being almost unu?sable 

The Duddy Fry used to be shite. Never had a nice chippy from there. Once got a delivery which took well over an hour despite me living a 10 minute walk away. (I couldn't leave the house before anyone calls me out :lol: ) Jaz's in Woodburn I once thought was really nice and then turned shite.

Can't say I've had many shite takeaways that stand out but I've got a couple that I'd say are vastly overrated. Mr So in Piershill for example. People live and swear by it and it's bang average. I've been to several far nicer Chinese takeaways since. 

38 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

The Tiger in Cockenzie High Street is bad but 2nd to The Dragon Way in Prestonpans. Risking a week off work eating there!

My parents used to like the dragon way in port Seton but after not feeling well after having a Chinese once they won't go back

14 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

My parents used to like the dragon way in port Seton but after not feeling well after having a Chinese once they won't go back

Unsurprisingly it's now shut!

Morellis in Easthouses is the worst for me. Once took them over two hours to deliver a pizza to us, despite telling us it was on its way after an hour. 

Won’t be giving those arseholes another penny. 

Sad to hear India Today and Topkapi are crap these days. Both used to be tremendous when I lived down that way (admittedly 25 years ago!).

Having worked in a number of kitchens though, the chances are a lot of the places which are marked down on that website probably just don't have the necessary paperwork up-to-date (cleaning rotas, fridge temperatures etc). If a kitchen was truly manky or a threat to human health, EH would shut it down on the spot.

20 hours ago, jamboj said:

The chippy in Stockbridge opposite the rugby club was utterly chronic the last time I went

Shame, Franco's was always a favourite when I was younger.

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

I don't suppose there are shite takeaways in your neck of the woods, AJ  ?

:lol:

There's one, and it all depends upon who's cooking.  :D  Loads of home-made stuff advertised on a local FB page, most of which is excellent, including actual meal plates.

34 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Sad to hear India Today and Topkapi are crap these days. Both used to be tremendous when I lived down that way (admittedly 25 years ago!).

Having worked in a number of kitchens though, the chances are a lot of the places which are marked down on that website probably just don't have the necessary paperwork up-to-date (cleaning rotas, fridge temperatures etc). If a kitchen was truly manky or a threat to human health, EH would shut it down on the spot.

Wasn't Topkapi considered the kebab in town, at one point (talking late eighties/early nineties here :eek: ) ?

Edited by ArcticJambo

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

I know of 3 people who got food poisoning in itihaas, dalkeith. I live near it and the kitchen is disgusting, people smoking in kitchen, etc.

I usually have an iron stomach, but grant Murray's subway sandwiches, also dalkeith, made me Ill.

Dirty Hibs ****. 

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Just now, milky_26 said:

is there a decent chinese in the area now?

Still the Harbour carry out in Port Seton across from the Co-op. Locally known as “Ivy’s”. 

Is for me anyway. Heard stories about it but its been brilliant every time ive been in. 2 decent chippies in Port Seton as well. 

17 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The only takeaway ever to give one of us proper food poisoning was the Chinese in the Craigshill Mall, Livingston. Fortunately my wife and I never get the same thing and she drew the short straw.

She contracted Campylobacter and we had a visit from Environmental Health as there was a spate of them in our area, wife had to recall everything she had eaten and they even had a look in our fridge. They traced it back to the Chinese. 

How long ago was this and which one?The one upstairs has shut and the downstairs one I use now and again as I stay local.

Shanks said no
24 minutes ago, weegranty said:

How long ago was this and which one?The one upstairs has shut and the downstairs one I use now and again as I stay local.

Roughly it was about 20 years ago. It was the one that you entered from the car park by the Tower, you didn't have to enter the mall to get to it. 

20 years on I think you are probably ok now.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Roughly it was about 20 years ago. It was the one that you entered from the car park by the Tower, you didn't have to enter the mall to get to it. 

20 years on I think you are probably ok now.

20 yrs ago it was The Dragon Boat upstairs,I used to get Special Chow Mien from it,never had a bad one.I suppose there is always a risk using takeaways,I got one from a Chinese in Pumpherston last month and it was rotten.

Being a burrito fan I have to say Burrito and shake is an utter abomination and the quicker they shut down the better. Tasteless crap. Like, imagine taking the most flavoursome delight you can find and then replacing all of that with ****ing cardboard.

Its ****ing offensive. Seems like there is zero desire to provide quality food, they just want your money. Robbing *******s.

One and only time I've left a food review. It bothered me that much. *****.  

5 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Wasn't Topkapi considered the kebab in town, at one point (talking late eighties/early nineties here :eek: ) ?

It was when I lived in Fountainbridge in the early 90s. A night out wasn't complete without a large doner from Topkapi!

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Being a burrito fan I have to say Burrito and shake is an utter abomination and the quicker they shut down the better. Tasteless crap. Like, imagine taking the most flavoursome delight you can find and then replacing all of that with ****ing cardboard.

Its ****ing offensive. Seems like there is zero desire to provide quality food, they just want your money. Robbing *******s.

One and only time I've left a food review. It bothered me that much. *****.  

i was in edinburgh for one of the autumn tests last year and a friend was looking to book a place to eat. He had a look at this, i'm glad the others with us said to look at a thai place.

27 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

It was when I lived in Fountainbridge in the early 90s. A night out wasn't complete without a large doner from Topkapi!

I lived on the east side of the city so rarely had cause to venture that way after a sesh.  I did however manage to navigate myself to that purveyor of late night food, where a most satisfying shish kebab was had on both occasions.  Oooooh!